Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oasx posted:

What didn't you like about Taylor-Johnson? I think his role was too insignificant for me to really judge him as a whole, but he was a fine Quicksilver.

I was rather neutral on Taylor-Johnson's performance, but he was really bogged down by how much better the character was done in DoFP a month prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He also had an embarrassingly awful accent that made Harrison Ford in K-19 sound legitimate.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Timby posted:

He also had an embarrassingly awful accent that made Harrison Ford in K-19 sound legitimate.

The first time he spoke i couldn't help but laugh. I hoped he would just drop the accent half way through because it was so bad.

It was about on par with family guy's "in soviet russia" gag.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yeah, I was very pleasantly surprised that Elizabeth Olsen really toned it down for Civil War.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just got back from X-Men. Too many characters, too many plotlines. They didn't so much have a script as a checklist. Terrible waste of potential that could have been much better if they'd spent half as much effort on plotting the whole movie as on the Quicksilver scene.

When it came to the “third movie is always the worst“ quip I was like, wow, shaky ground.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just got back from X-Men. Too many characters, too many plotlines. They didn't so much have a script as a checklist.

This sounds like most of the biggest complaints from both BvS and Civil War, so this might be right up my alley. How are the visuals/action scenes? I'm hoping to go 3 for 3 on big fun comic book movies so far this year! (Deadpool was good too but not as large in scope as the other 3)

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=718PanvgRwM

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oasx posted:

What didn't you like about Taylor-Johnson? I think his role was too insignificant for me to really judge him as a whole, but he was a fine Quicksilver.
I thought he was OK, but it's a shame they killed him off before he had a chance to catch moose and squirrel.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

This sounds like most of the biggest complaints from both BvS and Civil War, so this might be right up my alley. How are the visuals/action scenes? I'm hoping to go 3 for 3 on big fun comic book movies so far this year! (Deadpool was good too but not as large in scope as the other 3)
Civil War is really much better at the ensemble cast thing that X-Men in both plot and action scenes. Quicksilver's big scene is outstanding though. Visuals are pretty good on the whole.

Mostly it reminds me of when studios used to cut a season of TV down to feature length for a theater release.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TetsuoTW posted:

I thought he was OK, but it's a shame they killed him off before he had a chance to catch moose and squirrel.

Dude was in a jumpsuit and seemed no more than half a second from copping a squat at any given moment, he was loving perfect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

computer parts posted:

Oh, as a reminder: from July 2017 to July 2018, there will be 5 MCU films released, an average of almost one every 2 months.

That's an average of one every three months, which is still pretty steep.
We'll also be getting 4 DCCU films between June 2017 and July 2018 (Wonder Woman, Justice League part 1, Flash and Aquaman) plus maybe a solo Batman film around late 2018. There'll also be at least one but probably two Fox X-Men Universe films during that period, probably Deadpool 2 and maybe Gambit or another Wolverine. That's 11 or 12 superhero films from major studios over a 13 month period, plus a few minor wildcard entries like Bloodshot.

Don't forget we'll also be getting Transformers 5, a Transformer's Bumblee spinoff, Valerian, Ridley Scott's new Alien film, Star Wars 8, Star War's Han Solo spinoff and Jurassic World 2 during the same period!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 22, 2016

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We'll also be getting 4 DCCU films between June 2017 and July 2018 (Wonder Woman, Justice League part 1, Flash and Aquaman) plus maybe a solo Batman film around late 2018. There'll also be at least one but probably two Fox X-Men Universe films during that period, probably Deadpool 2 and maybe Gambit or another Wolverine. That's 11 or 12 superhero films from major studios over a 13 month period, plus a few minor wildcard entries like Bloodshot.

Don't forget we'll also be getting Transformers 5, a Transformer's Bumblee spinoff, Valerian, Ridley Scott's new Alien film, Star Wars 8, Star War's Han Solo spinoff and Jurassic World 2 during the same period!

13 year old me would be so loving stoked for this, 32 year old me is just tired.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There should be even more. I love super heroes

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

net cafe scandal posted:

There should be even more. I love super heroes

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Equeen posted:

Isn't Dr. Strange also post-Perlmutter? I have no hope for that garbage-looking thing.

It was developed/written during the Perlmutter years I think, but it was late in the game enough that they probably had more leeway.

I think Ragnorak is the first movie that's been developed without the creative committee.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Magneto is this comic

Except instead of "Thanks Obama", it's "Time to genocide the human race"

And then in the end Professor X is all "Haha, that's our Magneto, I see good in you" and lets him go.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just got back from Civil War, the segment in Peter Parker's apartment was by far my favorite scene in the movie. So now I'm unexpectedly looking forward to Spider-Man.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
why didn't they just get ben stiller to take over Ant-Man?

edit: or that dude who did Mystery Men

edit: or sam raimi

edit: or guy ritchie

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 23, 2016

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

why didn't they just get ben stiller to take over Ant-Man?

edit: or that dude who did Mystery Men

edit: or sam raimi

edit: or guy ritchie

I would have enjoyed seeing the obligatory Bruce Campbell cameo in the Sam Raimi production of Ant-Man.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, the last week I've been watching "gritty crime dramas/thrillers", stuff like A Walk Among the Tombstones or Seven or whatever. And the thought once again appeared in my mind that they really need to make a The Question movie in that style. Or maybe a full neo-noir take on Sandman Mystery Theatre. They'd be different, you could do them on a lower budget so that they needed less money to be successful and since he'll say yes to anything they could even get Liam Neeson.

I always loved the weirder, more obscure comics in DC's library and I think they'd work pretty well as movies. Just not superhero movies.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

So, the last week I've been watching "gritty crime dramas/thrillers", stuff like A Walk Among the Tombstones or Seven or whatever. And the thought once again appeared in my mind that they really need to make a The Question movie in that style. Or maybe a full neo-noir take on Sandman Mystery Theatre. They'd be different, you could do them on a lower budget so that they needed less money to be successful and since he'll say yes to anything they could even get Liam Neeson.

I always loved the weirder, more obscure comics in DC's library and I think they'd work pretty well as movies. Just not superhero movies.

It might sound a bit snobbish or superficial but I don't believe you can make a legitimate crime thriller with protagonist wearing a blank mask and a fedora. It is still going to be a superhero movie, just like Dark Knight is not Heat and Winter Soldier is not Three Days of Condor.
That said The Question movie about any version of the character would be pretty ace.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

MonsieurChoc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adYGUai7PNc

Directed by Richard Donner, even.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!

fatherboxx posted:

It might sound a bit snobbish or superficial but I don't believe you can make a legitimate crime thriller with protagonist wearing a blank mask and a fedora. It is still going to be a superhero movie, just like Dark Knight is not Heat and Winter Soldier is not Three Days of Condor.
That said The Question movie about any version of the character would be pretty ace.

There are always those superheroes who don't wear tights.

I kind of want to see a Constantine/Dr. Strange crossover. Constantine's no stranger to hanging out with more classical superheroes (he got his start in Swamp Thing after all), but the sheer contrast in styles would be great.

I'm picturing a noir-ish dark buddy comedy. Dr. Strange evokes the Winds of Watoomb. Constatine burns a curse from someone's soul with a lit cigarette.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Was the Constantine movie or series good? I skipped the movie because it felt like part of that wave of mega awful Christian apocalypse flicks, Stigmata, Bless the Child, etc. for a while that were coming out often in the late 90s/early 2000s. Not that movies like that aren't made all the time but the ones from that five year period or so studios were trying to hype up were very very very bad.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They're both enjoyable.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Neo Rasa posted:

Was the Constantine movie or series good? I skipped the movie because it felt like part of that wave of mega awful Christian apocalypse flicks, Stigmata, Bless the Child, etc. for a while that were coming out often in the late 90s/early 2000s. Not that movies like that aren't made all the time but the ones from that five year period or so studios were trying to hype up were very very very bad.

The movie isn't all that faithful to the comics but still pretty drat good. The casting is great, and even Keanu works pretty well. But you have Peter Stormare playing Satan so the movie would be great for that alone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The last 30 minutes or so of Constantine are great, it definitely makes up for whatever issues you might have with the rest of the movie.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 231 days!
I didn't even know there was a series.

The movie is pretty good, although it's less an adaptation of the comics and more an action/horror flick inspired by them. Keanu is an awkward fit for the role of the comic character, but Constatine himself is by far the character who is changed the least from the source material. Aside from their names, Chas, Papa Midnight, Gabriel, and even Satan share maybe one trait each with their comic counterparts.

I'd still recommend it, but on its own merits rather than as a fan of the comics.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The best thing about the series is Matt Ryan. He's probably the best casting choice for a comic character since RDJ-Stark.

If you watch Arrow make sure to watch S4E04, where he guest stars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The pilot is also directed by Neil Marshall, but its probably the most mediocre thing he has ever done.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Scyantific posted:

The best thing about the series is Matt Ryan. He's probably the best casting choice for a comic character since RDJ-Stark.

If you watch Arrow make sure to watch S4E04, where he guest stars.

That's the episode that got me interested in Constantine, and it is pretty cool. Dude just pops in to get a cursed artifact and then leaves.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

I didn't even know there was a series.

The movie is pretty good, although it's less an adaptation of the comics and more an action/horror flick inspired by them. Keanu is an awkward fit for the role of the comic character, but Constatine himself is by far the character who is changed the least from the source material. Aside from their names, Chas, Papa Midnight, Gabriel, and even Satan share maybe one trait each with their comic counterparts.

I'd still recommend it, but on its own merits rather than as a fan of the comics.

I'm a huge fan of the comics. And the spirit of the comics are very prevalent (Constantine's lovely personality, how hosed the world is, the focus on the downtrodden and grimy, the fate of his friends, the cost of magic, the apocalyptic tone, etc, etc).

Maybe it doesn't have that English sense of humor, but the level of visual design makes up for it. It really is an underappreciated movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guess who appeared at the TMNT2 premiere in New York. Vanilla Ice performed Ninja Rap with the original movie turtles.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

Guess who appeared at the TMNT2 premiere in New York. Vanilla Ice performed Ninja Rap with the original movie turtles.

Good for him.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The MSJ posted:

And then he walked up and down the subway car asking for money.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There was no ninja rap there. :argh:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Captain America: Winter Soldier was a documentary:

https://medium.com/insurge-intellig...4298#.1k7pykitn

tldr: Department of Defense's long term goal is officially robots scour social media and are able to decide to kill enemies of the US based on it. :O

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
"Saudi and Chinese investors calling for 'Venom' film to be Justin Bieber's lead breakout role as a multimedia star"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

Captain America: Winter Soldier was a documentary:

https://medium.com/insurge-intellig...4298#.1k7pykitn

tldr: Department of Defense's long term goal is officially robots scour social media and are able to decide to kill enemies of the US based on it. :O

The discrimination against Facebook-account-less people continues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

quote:

Pictured: stunt coordinator and fight choreographer, Pat E. Johnson hangs out with stunt suit performers from TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES II The Secret of the Ooze (1991). From L to R: Larry Lam (Leonard), Nick Palma (Michaelangelo), Steven Ho (Donatello) and Ho-Sung Pak (Raphael). Turtle suits created by Jim Henson's Creature Shop.

• Locked thread