Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Harrow posted:

I'm increasingly convinced that the reason some things are balanced like they were in DS1 is less about some blind pandering to DS1 love and more that Miyazaki just prefers to things that way and maybe isn't the best director for anything other than PvE level, encounter, and atmospheric design.

Then again he directed Bloodborne which did pretty well with weapons so who knows.

I think this is true about alot of aspects of the game even beyond balancing tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Literally even caring about any meta at all is the superest dumbest.

I care about this meta a lot and so should you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You can try and defy the meta but you have to know about it to survive it.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
The meta's just what level everybody stops at. Nobody even knows what's good yet. I don't think sorcery, small axes and hammers are actually bad in PVP but nobody uses them because they're not meta or something.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

The meta's just what level everybody stops at. Nobody even knows what's good yet. I don't think sorcery, small axes and hammers are actually bad in PVP but nobody uses them because they're not meta or something.

Nobody uses them because they don't like being parried and one shotted... in the case of the last two at least.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tallgeese posted:

Not sure what you meant by this. A full moveset switch shouldn't be possible.

You said there would be trolls and there was a "Gatsu" (the character Guts from Berserk) using a bunch of weapons his character base would not use. All the hosts stopped summoning him so it was no longer a problem. He wasn't hacking, he just wasn't playing by the cosplay rules, which is to at least sorta resemble your cosplay. Very rarely are there obvious hackers and trolls even though /dsg/ is full of both, the host simply wouldn't summon people again that misbehaved.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I've used axes/hammers and they are way harder to use than other weapons because of their short range. The phantom range on tons of popular weapons makes it really hard to win with the weapons that got the short end of the stick. Its less of a problem in a 1v1, but for invaders who are going to be in lopsided matches, trying to use a short range weapon is awful.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Cyberventurer posted:

You could always hope you get a host dumb enough that you could lure to the NPC and trick them into striking them

Oh man! This host was me when I played demons souls. Some guy invaded me in 4-2 and saw that I had a bow build. So he lured me, wound me up with a lot of hit and run attacks and hid behind Graverobber Blige. Before I realized what the invader was trying to do I've sunk two arrows into the only NPC that sells holy arrows and he becomes perma hostile.

Then the invader dispatched me. It pissed me off at the time, but this is one of those stories I tell people to describe how cool and different souls games are.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BBQ Dave posted:

Oh man! This host was me when I played demons souls. Some guy invaded me in 4-2 and saw that I had a bow build. So he lured me, wound me up with a lot of hit and run attacks and hid behind Graverobber Blige. Before I realized what the invader was trying to do I've sunk two arrows into the only NPC that sells holy arrows and he becomes perma hostile.

Then the invader dispatched me. It pissed me off at the time, but this is one of those stories I tell people to describe how cool and different souls games are.

did demon's souls not have a way to get sins forgiven? In DS1 you'd just talk to that velka guy in the bell tower

(coincidentally my first playthrough of DS1 I thought that the sin forgiveness NPC looked like an enemy and I was like "ha ha Dark Souls, trying to ambush me right after ringing the first bell, I'll show you!" and then killed the poo poo out of him, later I read online that he's actually an NPC)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

turtlecrunch posted:

You said there would be trolls and there was a "Gatsu" (the character Guts from Berserk) using a bunch of weapons his character base would not use. All the hosts stopped summoning him so it was no longer a problem. He wasn't hacking, he just wasn't playing by the cosplay rules, which is to at least sorta resemble your cosplay. Very rarely are there obvious hackers and trolls even though /dsg/ is full of both, the host simply wouldn't summon people again that misbehaved.

Oh, I get you now.

It took me a minute to realize Gatsu was Guts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Most of the time whenever I invade someone with the name of a character they aren't even cosplaying. Usually they are wearing the fallen knight ir abyss wachers set too.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
While I would adore the higher stats not for efficiency, but so I can use more things at once (and have nice VIG/END/VIT on top), SL 80 seems a good "Meta" for me because that puts me in a huge co-op range for the Average Player making their way through NG.

I can help people down to 60s, or up to about 100. I've still been invaded in the archdragon peaks, and saw my SECOND Blue cop all game in the process.

I'm sure there are plenty of people in the upper tiers of the "PvP Meta", but 120 is practically twice as many levels as 80. All to play with people more interested (and able) to be PvP gods, rather than plunk something down at Lothric Castle and get a bite to help them murder some dragons they cant handle alone. Or how I get to see white soapstones outside of the Consumed King dressed up in the Shadow set with the claw, because they are just so gosh darned excited about their brand new toys they got ten feet away from the boss door.

I get how trying to be a caster would be a hammer to the ballsack at a lower SL. But even with the "Official PvP meta", most pubbies flip their poo poo at the sight of an ashen estus and tearfully chug down all their healing estus in a duel while screaming how spell uses should just learn to manage their blue bar. Then get back to bitching about hornet ring parries, between saying anyone annoyed the farron flashsword can be parried should just learn to play better.

So in practice, yeah SL 120 is basically so people can run physical demigods in their PvP, between saying "Oh yeah, it's totally for build diversety for mages and poo poo. But get hosed if you so much as think of casting an interruptible healing spell that will only give you 1/3 an estus worth!"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

loving play the game, you literally do not need to worry about any of this bullshit unless you're doing One Specific Thing. Just kill dudes with swords omg

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Full disclosure i say that as a Broken Brain who 100% poo poo but it isnt fun I just cant help myself

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Night Blade posted:

Nobody uses them because they don't like being parried and one shotted... in the case of the last two at least.

Parrying is not that big of a deal and I don't even bother dead angling stuff usually. This is what I mean when I say people don't even know what's good. Parrying does a lot of damage but you have to gently caress up to get parried (except as far as I can tell with the great lance and maybe the rest of the pikes: even the charged r2s have a windup after you release and I think anything can be parried on sight and either there's no way to dead angle it or I don't know how). They also catch rolls very easily and I suspect you could catch somebody indefinitely with a man-serpent hatchet.

Internet Kraken posted:

I've used axes/hammers and they are way harder to use than other weapons because of their short range. The phantom range on tons of popular weapons makes it really hard to win with the weapons that got the short end of the stick. Its less of a problem in a 1v1, but for invaders who are going to be in lopsided matches, trying to use a short range weapon is awful.

Yeah for 1v3 always use the biggest weapon you can but that's always been the case.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

vandalism posted:

I just beat the game. I was SL 80 at comedian, and respecced after everything and went for a 40 strength 40 dexterity quality build. With the 27 in vigor, that doesn't leave me much for endurance or armor sets. I've heard that staying at or around 80 is the best. I went up to 83 I think with the extra souls I had. What levels are people generally in ng+? If I go up to 100 or so will summons dry up? Mostly for bosses, not pvp.

Casters can't even dream of existing prior to SL 120, I don't know why people keep trying to push 80 as the ideal SL.

In other news, the character I passed a swordspear off to has finally gotten a lot more fun, now that my endurance and vigor have caught up from the initial painfully onerous stat requirements. I no longer die to a stiff breeze and have the stamina for a decent number of attacks. Did Dancer a bit early and then made my way to dark firelink to grab the coil and a ton of titanite scales in lothric castle in general. So now my swordspear is +5 going into the catacombs and it has really come into its own.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

Casters can't even dream of existing prior to SL 120, I don't know why people keep trying to push 80 as the ideal SL.

Cause apparently physical melees just end up being 40/40 instead of having to pick one.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Chard posted:

Full disclosure i say that as a Broken Brain who 100% poo poo but it isnt fun I just cant help myself

Weren't you the dude who wanted to kill bell keepers in real life when ds2 came out?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Grondoth posted:

Cause apparently physical melees just end up being 40/40 instead of having to pick one.

Eh, only if they never touch Vit, don't want a full 40-50 into Vigor so that hornet parries don't murder the hell out of them, and/or are willing to settle for less Endurance, which is not a great idea if you're using a big weapon (but is probably ok if you're using straight swords like a loser or caestus because you hate yourself).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

In other news, the character I passed a swordspear off to has finally gotten a lot more fun, now that my endurance and vigor have caught up from the initial painfully onerous stat requirements. I no longer die to a stiff breeze and have the stamina for a decent number of attacks. Did Dancer a bit early and then made my way to dark firelink to grab the coil and a ton of titanite scales in lothric castle in general. So now my swordspear is +5 going into the catacombs and it has really come into its own.

What's your method for passing items between characters?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Obligatum VII posted:

Eh, only if they never touch Vit, don't want a full 40-50 into Vigor so that hornet parries don't murder the hell out of them, and/or are willing to settle for less Endurance, which is not a great idea if you're using a big weapon (but is probably ok if you're using straight swords like a loser or caestus because you hate yourself).

You can do 40/40 with 40 Vigor, 19 Vit and 30 Endurance at SL120.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

What's your method for passing items between characters?

Get a buddy, have them summon you or you summon them. You drop the item, they pick it up. You switch to the other character and repeat, but now they drop the item for you.

No worries about SL differences if you use a password. Be wary of invaders, be smart and don't drop the items if an invader shows up; they can pick them up too and many invaders will get a kick out of stealing the stuff you were trying to mule.

This is how Zuria, (sister of Yuria, alongside Xuria, obviously) ended up with the black set and a swordspear at the high wall.

I do feel bad about all those newbies I murdered with the weapon art when I farmed up 30 swordgrasses at SL 35. They had no idea what would happen and it killed so many people because they didn't know to dodge.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 22, 2016

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
For my next character I decided to make Imoen from Baldur's Gate. I have the pink hair and scar down pat, and I've been sitting around at level 1 assisting people in chainmail with a thief's hood, shooting a crossbow and using a crummy shortsword with the occasional magic missile. I can't wait to get the "Hey!" gesture.

I have no clue what direction to take this character in. Dex/Int seems like the obvious choice, but I don't know what sort of gear would fit Imoen.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

does anyone know the max amount of buffs you can apply to yourself. i want to make a character named Incredibly Buff Man who has 12 spell slots and spends eight hours buffing before each fight club duel

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Gus Hobbleton posted:

IMO invaders should be able to douse bonfires and if the invader kills the host while the bonfire they sat at is doused then their character dies permanently and they have to create a new character and start over. It's their own fault for letting themselves be invaded, and the game is already stacked in the host's favor anyway. You're an entitled baby if you don't think this is perfectly fair.

Alternatively they could just use hacked items on the opponent and get them softbanned. Should have thought long and hard before you used that giant seed, you baby!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

GulagDolls posted:

does anyone know the max amount of buffs you can apply to yourself. i want to make a character named Incredibly Buff Man who has 12 spell slots and spends eight hours buffing before each fight club duel

Well, it's technically a high number, but is restricted by buff category.

There's left hand buff, right hand buff, body buff, I think another type of body buff, a no-stagger buff type, ad nauseum.

Fun fact, if you override the category restrictions and throw enough effects on yourself, projectiles stop showing up. For everyone.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Gotta put on the dragon suit too. And use Havels shield. And cover yourself in colored bug trash. Eat every kind of green herb.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I already love Incredibly Buff Man

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Farming for infusion gems is the shittiest part of this game that isn't trying to get trophy ears. The only ones that aren't too bad are raw (which you'll never need more than 1 or 2 of) and str because you have 3 goatmen right outside one of the spawns in the Farron swamp. Refined are an absolute pain in the balls - I just spent 90 minutes with 411 item find and got 1 off the guy outside the Dancer and now I'm out of gold coins. Sharps are even worse. I just want enough refined ones to do all the halberd class weapons and maybe a couple secondaries but I guess that's too much to ask for if you're not going NG++ or whatever.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just stand still shoving an endless supply of herbs, moss, and pellets into your mouth. See how long it takes for the other player to get mad and hit you.

Make sure you have the Smough/Winged knight chest on while doing this.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Grondoth posted:

You can dedicate 60 points to one of them and neglect the other if you want to save a few points and still be competitive but your choices will be pretty slim if you want to get up near quality damage. 60 str for a greataxe or 60 dex for a chaos blade are good but I can't think of many others.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

If you're okay with summoning help on a SL1 challenge run, I think that's cool; most of us can't even do a no-summon run on normally-leveled characters.

Well speaking of, the run might be over, not sure. I'm on armour and oceiros and I literally have no embers and can't get anymore. Oceiros has a quick dash attack that one-shots me even if I have a shield up afaik, armour can one shot me with certain attacks, and that sweeping thing he starts off phase two with tends to gently caress me up (he holds his weapon to the ground, walks slowly, and then can do either a kind of tsunami wave, or a 360 attack, and the timing can be difficult to figure out as it's quite delayed). The only way I can really improve my character is to farm forever for chunks to increase my damage a bit, but I really need to get the ring of favor from the aldrich rats. Yeah that sounds like a loving blast.

Filthy Hans posted:

Farming for infusion gems is the shittiest part of this game that isn't trying to get trophy ears. The only ones that aren't too bad are raw (which you'll never need more than 1 or 2 of) and str because you have 3 goatmen right outside one of the spawns in the Farron swamp. Refined are an absolute pain in the balls - I just spent 90 minutes with 411 item find and got 1 off the guy outside the Dancer and now I'm out of gold coins. Sharps are even worse. I just want enough refined ones to do all the halberd class weapons and maybe a couple secondaries but I guess that's too much to ask for if you're not going NG++ or whatever.

Could be worse, you could be trying to get pure bladestone in Demon's Souls

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 22, 2016

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Filthy Hans posted:

Farm the four knights before twin princes for refined. I've gotten a dozen or so from them with only 260 discovery

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
There, the Princes are dead. So that just leaves the Final boss, and...

NAMELESS KIIIIIIING :argh:

*One rematch later*

:black101: :black101: :black101:

Thank you cool and attractive person who suggested the Knight's Crossbow to make the first phase easy mode.

EDIT: And that, is that. Roll Credits.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 22, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I have not managed to join a single session today as a phantom that didnt have me dropping I'm Sorry stones at the fog door. :negative:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

New Concept Hole posted:

Farm the four knights before twin princes for refined. I've gotten a dozen or so from them with only 260 discovery

Thanks, I'll try that

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just had a Watcher fight where all three went for me at once. :gonk:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
having not had much of a chance to play recently finally got back around to fighting the nameless king. think it took 10 attempts in total to beat and didn't resort to using a great shield for it. its definitely a fight that punishes people for using a slow weapon

edit: i hosed up the ending ffs. the final boss was really easy and i beat it first time

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 22, 2016

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Quick question, looking for a spoiler-free answer.

I'm in the Cathedral. Bumped into Patches wearing Siegfried's armor and triggered his trap. But now I can't find him or a way to raise the bridge. Is there a lever somewhere that I've missed or should I just continue to the boss?

Smol fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Smol posted:

Quick question, looking for a spoiler-free answer.

I'm in the Cathedral. Bumped into Patches wearing Siegfried's armor and triggered his trap. But now I can't find him or a way to raise the bridge. Is there a lever somewhere that I can't find or should I just continue to the boss?

You can if you want to without worry, but there's a section of the level you've missed.