Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I've finally had time to start getting into this game a bit!

Question: Running around in some different areas of Road of Sacrifices I swear I've heard the sound of a freight train going past in the distance. there is nothing going on in the game to match that sound, it just seems to play sometimes in different areas of the forest/swamp. whats up with that? I like it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

argondamn posted:

other people (not me) have found success blue-broing by making an entirely new ps4 account.

Yeah, best explanation I've seen is that they literally just check for "is there a covenant invader waiting" and sort them by account creation date instead of randomizing it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

argondamn posted:

other people (not me) have found success blue-broing by making an entirely new ps4 account.
I thought about doing this. I may also try deleting my primary account from the system and then re-adding it after I create the new account. Will report if it works.

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Question: Running around in some different areas of Road of Sacrifices I swear I've heard the sound of a freight train going past in the distance. there is nothing going on in the game to match that sound, it just seems to play sometimes in different areas of the forest/swamp. whats up with that? I like it..

Do you live near any train tracks

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

k-spar posted:

Do you live near any train tracks

No I don't, but many years ago I lived about half a mile from a freight route which is how I recognized the sound. Maybe its just being used as ambience because if you didn't know what it was you could easily mistake it for just some generic mysterious ominous rumbling, but it definitely sounds like its made from the sound of a freight train.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

It is the giant enemy crab digging underneath you.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Is level 24 and a +2 weapon too low for Vordt / Treenuts Sunbro-ing or something ?

E: NVM, i removed a password and then i got a hit :) that was cool

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 22, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I popped a seed in Ithryll, dropped a dried finger and stuck myself out of the way and put on way of the blue and I have 30000 souls in about 3 minutes and now I'm going to go to the grocery store. Will see how it goes.

I was getting killed just as I got back. About an hour, 200,000 souls. I think I have ideas for better hiding places.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I was getting killed just as I got back. About an hour, 200,000 souls. I think I have ideas for better hiding places.

Where the chest is in the marriage chamber.
Obscuring ring + curl up behind the opened chest.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
:raise:

Yellowfinger Heysel posted:

YellowGlen Stuart is a NPC in Dark Souls 3.
YellowGlen Stuart Information

"Stuart appears to be a Scholar of being ripped and pulling b-i-t-c-h-e-s"

Invades in Crucifixion Woods and Farron Keep swamps.
Can give you the "You don't even lift" Gesture (see the Location section below).
"You can be like YellowGlen and vote for the gun party, but do not force your views on the rest of us."
-Leonhard in Rosaria's Bedchamber
Towards the end of the game in Rosaria's Bedchamber, you will find a peaceful worm monster just like those outside the room. When killed, it drops the YellowGlen Crown and South Island Shield, which hints the monster is Stuart himself. It could mean that YellowGlen Stuart fulfilled his dream of joining BWS after all.
Another possibility regarding his transformation later on is that she could have been too self-concious about his appearance, and has been changing his appearence a lot, past the 5 rebirth limit, which eventually turned him into a Grub. YellowGlen Stuart usually enjoys wearing used condoms over his head, when not wearing the YellowGlen Crown

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

I'm in the crocodile room, I snuck past them. Somebody just came down the ladder and turned around and went right back up.

Was kinda hoping I could get the invaders to take them out for me, or at least try. There's a darkmoon here but nobody seems to be doing anything.

Wish I was on NG+7.

e: is this darkmoon getting ears for everybody that dies or does he have to strike the killing blow? There has been a flurry of activity.

Tokyo Sex Whale fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 22, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'd think with a combination of the obscuring ring and stretch out in water you'd be impossible to find.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Corvian Greatknife low level PvP trip report: this thing is so loving fun to use, why do daggers have to have garbage damage? Or at least let me have a decent crit multiplier and not :effort: oh boy 10% more damage so I can do 1/2 instead of 1/3 of the damage of a heavy weapon crit.

It's kind of weird because daggers would actually be pretty good if they had proper scaling but most of them start off e/e or e/d and the ones which don't have even crappier base damage than the others.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Vermain posted:

I assume it's because it's easier on the matchmaking server compared to running a full-on inventory scan every few seconds.

I am not much of a programmer but it seems like they could have the server set a flag each time you get up from a bonfire.

I'm nearly having fun with the wolfbro farming now, I think my win/lose is ~1/3 and I've not seen too many ganksquads. I've seen a surprising number of people who have some esoteric fun weapon for PvE but immediately pull out an estoc/straight sword as soon as a fight goes south.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'd think with a combination of the obscuring ring and stretch out in water you'd be impossible to find.

I had to use a white branch to sneak past the crocodogs and if I turn it off they aggro. Not sure how detection works. I don't have slumbering dragoncrest or access to any spells. I noticed the obscuring ring doesn't keep the silver knight archers from shooting you.

I have the obscuring ring on but i dunno if the branch overrides it or not. I'm right next to the archdeacon so probably if the obscuring ring is working you couldn't see me till after you deal with the crocodogs. If the branch takes precedence I'm extremely obvious but behind two crocodogs.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Melanion posted:

I am not much of a programmer but it seems like they could have the server set a flag each time you get up from a bonfire.

It is a client side flag, which I often edit so I don't have to keep multiple saves.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Earwicker posted:

Did you step foot into the water? Because it's probably the giant enemy crabs with the insane aggro radius coming to murder you.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Melanion posted:

I'm nearly having fun with the wolfbro farming now, I think my win/lose is ~1/3 and I've not seen too many ganksquads. I've seen a surprising number of people who have some esoteric fun weapon for PvE but immediately pull out an estoc/straight sword as soon as a fight goes south.

funniest wolfbro fight I had was me with a winged knight halberd vs a guy with a lothric knight spear, no of us used estus, so we got each other down to a sliver of health, he pulled out a straight sword and I threw a black bomb in his face, winning the match.

Playing DS2 again, I miss speed crawling up ladders :(

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

RabidWeasel posted:

Corvian Greatknife low level PvP trip report: this thing is so loving fun to use, why do daggers have to have garbage damage? Or at least let me have a decent crit multiplier and not :effort: oh boy 10% more damage so I can do 1/2 instead of 1/3 of the damage of a heavy weapon crit.

It's kind of weird because daggers would actually be pretty good if they had proper scaling but most of them start off e/e or e/d and the ones which don't have even crappier base damage than the others.

I could see the lower damage on many daggers if you could actually attack immediately out of quickstep. But you can't and it just ends up a neat looking gimmick.

jeaves
Jun 2, 2004

*FART*FART*FART*
Progression question: I've just beaten the deacons and obtained the small doll.

I don't know where to go now and I want to avoid looking up guides. Can someone make a suggestion?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

<--- :laffo:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

MadJackMcJack posted:

Did you step foot into the water? Because it's probably the giant enemy crabs with the insane aggro radius coming to murder you.

they just want to cuddle :(

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

jeaves posted:

Progression question: I've just beaten the deacons and obtained the small doll.

I don't know where to go now and I want to avoid looking up guides. Can someone make a suggestion?

You're finished in the Cathedral (Assuming you've explored everywhere and gobbled up all the loot), you need to backtrack a bit. Try exploring other directions from the Crucifixion Woods bonfire.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

MadJackMcJack posted:

I dunno. I think I know what he means, it's like this low rumbling, almost snoring sound. I hear it on land, in the tree-wielding hollow/dog/poison bug hell.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Mazerunner posted:

I dunno. I think I know what he means, it's like this low rumbling, almost snoring sound. I hear it on land, in the tree-wielding hollow/dog/poison bug hell.

Oh, that's the tree hollows breathing in their rest state. It's super weird.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Melanion posted:

You're finished in the Cathedral (Assuming you've explored everywhere and gobbled up all the loot), you need to backtrack a bit. Try exploring other directions from the Crucifixion Woods bonfire.

First he needs to warp back to the boss room to pick up the pope set that spawned when he left. :colbert:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

outplayed

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

working as intended

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's completely baffling to me that DMB aren't a sinvasion covenant and Blue Sentinels the cops, just like pretty much everyone else playing this game.

I feel like it has to have been a thing cut for time or something.

I've seen all of one Darkmoon, ever. Last night.

On my way to the final boss for the first time, I was invaded. Didn't quite kill them before they killed me.

On my way BACK to the final boss, I noticed I couldn't ember up (But was not in embered form). Then a Darkmoon showed up... With no invader.

So I wave, head on in. DUTY COMPLETE oh look I can ember now. Good job, Darkmoon.

So yes. Somehow, some way, I got a Darkmoon cop to show up when I wasn't even embered... And I couldn't ember until he was gone :psyduck:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I was meaning to ask ages ago but I forgot. What the hell is that noise in Firelink? I hear it to the left of where Greirat sits. It sounds like a beast is hiding behind the walls.

I assumed it would be an enemy hidden in the shrine that I'd find in the late game but nope. Drives me crazy and I've not seen a single other person mention it.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

I was meaning to ask ages ago but I forgot. What the hell is that noise in Firelink? I hear it to the left of where Greirat sits. It sounds like a beast is hiding behind the walls.

I assumed it would be an enemy hidden in the shrine that I'd find in the late game but nope. Drives me crazy and I've not seen a single other person mention it.

It's the dog outside

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Harrow posted:

I'm increasingly convinced that the reason some things are balanced like they were in DS1 is less about some blind pandering to DS1 love and more that Miyazaki just prefers to things that way and maybe isn't the best director for anything other than PvE level, encounter, and atmospheric design.

Then again he directed Bloodborne which did pretty well with weapons so who knows.

I figured it was because they knocked this one out real quick using the DS1 code base. Isn't there a guy in this thread who has hacked the game to bits with cheat engine or something and reported that they're using large chunks of unaltered DS1 code and it's causing hackers to be able to do stuff they couldn't in DS2 because that game's code was rewritten to prevent specific exploits

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

:lol:

Man having the right dark souls opinions is serious business to someone. It's almost a badge of shame for whoever bought it for you

hard counter fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 23, 2016

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Anal Surgery posted:

I know the shine is off the apple for many players, but for me, it'll never be old getting to beat the game as Filthy Pyro Pope

Christian Black Metal singer spotted.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

swamp waste posted:

I figured it was because they knocked this one out real quick using the DS1 code base. Isn't there a guy in this thread who has hacked the game to bits with cheat engine or something and reported that they're using large chunks of unaltered DS1 code and it's causing hackers to be able to do stuff they couldn't in DS2 because that game's code was rewritten to prevent specific exploits

That's tallgeese and yes I recommend reading through their posts, there's some good stuff about the way the game was programmed, or rather the way it wasn't

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

DS2 was just done differently in a lot of ways that disabled all the worst stuff, with the notable exception of the text parser. And before you say "what about dead NPCs", I point out they even accounted for that with the gravestone system.

The data structures were the most obviously different thing in DS2, and part of the reason you didn't see many (any?) tutorials on how to hack its special effects is because they were variable-size and other lovely reasons.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 22, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It's not really surprising that they re-used the DkS1 engine. It's actually surprising that they even wrote a new engine for DkS2.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

That's so lazy. They could of at least made your avatar a dark sword or something.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

The zweihander is loving amazing in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
NG+ Nameless King was super easy thanks to my 40/40+Irithyll Rapier. Doesn't get above 395, but frost seems to be a solid choice on a lot of bosses. Thus far, this game's NG cycle has been pretty easy, though not as easy as Bloodborne. I'm also liking my quality build a lot more than my Dex/Int one, since it opens up more options for me and I can still use a few low level pyromancy buffs in a pinch. Still can't consistently parry players though, since I'll go through rounds parrying every attack and others I whiff every single one.