Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress this is huge.

Official DOOM BFG print in full size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Wow, that's a big loving gun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Never being one to start small, I thouhgt I'd make something ferociously complicated for my first attempt at cosplay.

I spent 9 hours or so to get from this

to this

I'm heading down to the hackspace tomorrow because I don't have a heat gun to heat-bend the mask parts and the next layer of the helmet to shape. Shouldn't actually take too much longer to get to the stage of beginning to coat it with stupid amounts of PVA glue before painting.

I'm super pleased with it so far, but I've got less than three weeks to finish it :ohdear:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Update time. Latest work on the tunic:

Did a power test for the bracer lighting, but then had to strip the wiring to redo it as it was kinking and causing shorts.

Also took a stab at practicing the make-up. Gonna work on how to make the red pop out more, maybe use a metallic red instead.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm in the process of hot gluing some craft foam to motocross chest armour to make it look even more armoured. Probably should have asked this first, but once I'm done gluing the craft foam, can I give it a light coat of PVA to seal it and then use this as an undercoat http://www.snmstuff.co.uk/vallejo-acrylic-polyurethane-primer-white-17ml/ and then acrylic paint on top?

The foam won't be flexing - it's being glued to flat plastic surfaces, if that matters.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tamir Lenk posted:

Update time. Latest work on the tunic:

Did a power test for the bracer lighting, but then had to strip the wiring to redo it as it was kinking and causing shorts.

Also took a stab at practicing the make-up. Gonna work on how to make the red pop out more, maybe use a metallic red instead.

It may not be canon but a tiny white outline will make the red stand out from the black more.

A Hacked Soul
Feb 22, 2009
I am currently working on Mudkip for Colossalcon.
Only left up in the air on what to make the fins out of.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
IT IS FINISHED

A Hacked Soul posted:

I am currently working on Mudkip for Colossalcon.
Only left up in the air on what to make the fins out of.
I just used craft foam for my Magikarp fins since I wanted to wear it in the pool and the foam dried out really well and didn't need to be painted/sealed against water.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Working on a few costumes for the Denver Comic Con. No armor or anything too wild for me though.

The main one I'm working on is fixing up our Mary Poppins Halloween costumes to be more movie authentic. Our 1 year old is going to be a penguin.

Also debating fixing my Scarlet Witch costume to fit my post-child baby. And then hopefully going to sort out a Rainbow Brite costume for myself and a sprite costume for the baby.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

McPantserton posted:

IT IS FINISHED

I just used craft foam for my Magikarp fins since I wanted to wear it in the pool and the foam dried out really well and didn't need to be painted/sealed against water.

Ahhhh! It looks fantastic. I especially love the gems on the breastplate and knees. Are those resin?

Waiting for my sailor suit fabric, so I'm starting some props for Kira Yoshikage. I know foam or something would have been easier for his pin/badge thing, but I love figuring out fiddly little shapes like this with sewing, and I like the way it came out. I've started on Josefumi's peace sign badge too, same technique. They're both three layers of thick felt to build up the shape, then covered with raw yellow silk I had lying around. Then appliqued to a base of silk-felt-card-felt-silk.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

It may not be canon but a tiny white outline will make the red stand out from the black more.

Thanks. I am playing around with some metallic options and other things to pop that red more.

Also, I made a thing:

Tamir Lenk fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 19, 2016

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Goldaline posted:

Ahhhh! It looks fantastic. I especially love the gems on the breastplate and knees. Are those resin?

Waiting for my sailor suit fabric, so I'm starting some props for Kira Yoshikage. I know foam or something would have been easier for his pin/badge thing, but I love figuring out fiddly little shapes like this with sewing, and I like the way it came out. I've started on Josefumi's peace sign badge too, same technique. They're both three layers of thick felt to build up the shape, then covered with raw yellow silk I had lying around. Then appliqued to a base of silk-felt-card-felt-silk.
Aaa thanks :D they're precast resin cabochons I got on etsy! They're actually on the wrists and shoulders too, and tiny ones in the crown. I painted them with nail polish, which was a pretty good use of 1/10000000 of my enormous collection. I should be getting on the road to Anime Central now but I am rattled as gently caress after my husband had to go to the ER with chest pains today omfg. Ended up not being a heart attack or blockage/clot but I'm still trying to collect myself a little :gonk: sorry for that not really cosplay related verbal dump but holy poo poo it's been a day.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Fabulous work on the costume, Pants! Get to the con and show off this weekend -- it'll be a good way to distract your rattled head and heart.

Sending good vibes your hubby's way.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

From crappy MS paint:

To first attempt with Worbla:

The eyes are cut up cheap mirrored sunglass lenses, covered to protect from scratching and for painting as the next step. Just need to smooth out the nose a bit and it's about ready to paint I think. I realize the eyes are backwards from the drawing, that's how I originally intended them to be, I drew it in a mirror view apparently.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Couple more pics of my TIE pilot build:

It all came out a tiny bit too long in the face (and indeed was trimmed significantly from that second shot, but it was too late to shorten the rest of it by the time I realised, and the eyes are probably a touch large, and too high up on the helmet (it sits very far forward on my head) but what the hell, it looks fine.

Currently in the process of filling all the edges and smoothing out the pipe lagging as best I can with flexible gap filler, then onto PVA and paint.

The rest is coming together nicely, but I don't have many photos. How the gently caress people manage to do processes like this AND document it for youtube channels I have no idea.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

thespaceinvader posted:

Couple more pics of my TIE pilot build:
How the gently caress people manage to do processes like this AND document it for youtube channels I have no idea.

Practice and making a point of it.

Finish a part of it - Take a picture
Add paint to a part - Take a picture
Remove or cut away part of it - Take a picture - Write down a note; Why did you remove that piece?
You screwed something up - Take a picture - What would you do different next time?

I think you're making good progress. As you stated, yeah, it's a little on the long side, but it is unquestionably "Star Wars". In your previously posted picture without you saying what specifically it was, I could clearly tell it was some variety of stormtrooper helmet.

Is that a baseball helmet that you are using for the base?

A Hacked Soul
Feb 22, 2009

McPantserton posted:

IT IS FINISHED

Thanks! I will try this. Going from photographer back to Cosplayer has been a trip.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
I take lots of picture while I work, but I'm far too lazy to get out my real camera, so they're all lovely camera phone pictures. Sorry! :blush:

Finished all the badges. The heart took a few tries to get the beveled edges to look right. It's just all stacked felt under there, carefully trimmed. I agonized a little about the peace sign, sometimes it's drawn with a backing, sometimes not. I went with a backing to make it easier to attach to the sweater. The little screw head looking thing seems to be a pin for Kira's scarf.

Then onto the the sailor hat. It took me way too long to figure out it was really just a doughnut with a circle on top and a band. Made my muslin out of black denim for goth-sailor vibes. I know the thing on top is meant to be a tassel, but really, the way it's drawn, it looks like a solid object, so I'm going with that. As an added bonus, it flops around my head in a really goofy way whenever I move.

Today, I tackled Kira's sailor top. I altered a regular button-up shirt pattern that I made long ago. I cropped it, made it boxier, tapered the sleeves, took off the cuffs, eliminated the yoke and button front, and thennnnn drafted a sailor collar. In the comic it's drawn wider and more shallow than sailor shirts are usually (I think Araki has a thing for necks and collar bones now that he doesn't have a thing for big muscle men) so I tried to get that effect. My muslin, like usual, is made of the ugliest fabric possible, and I only put trim on half of it. That's all you need to test it out, right?? Glad I got to practice the sailor collar/facing before getting to real fabric, it was a bit tricky.

Now I'm on to the pants. I have a basic jean pattern, so I'd just need to remove the back yoke and change the pockets into slash pockets. My question is, should I try to mimic the weird pocket situation he's got going on here? I can't decide if they're just a stylization, or it they're supposed to be weird, gapey pockets.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The thing to remember about TIE helmets is they are loving GIGANTIC. Talking like, bobble head looking huge when on a normal person.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Practice and making a point of it.

Finish a part of it - Take a picture
Add paint to a part - Take a picture
Remove or cut away part of it - Take a picture - Write down a note; Why did you remove that piece?
You screwed something up - Take a picture - What would you do different next time?

I think you're making good progress. As you stated, yeah, it's a little on the long side, but it is unquestionably "Star Wars". In your previously posted picture without you saying what specifically it was, I could clearly tell it was some variety of stormtrooper helmet.

Is that a baseball helmet that you are using for the base?
Yep, baseball helmet. Cheap, roughly the right shape, and decently larger than head sized.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The thing to remember about TIE helmets is they are loving GIGANTIC. Talking like, bobble head looking huge when on a normal person.

Yeah, I know. Mine won't actually be large enough I don't think, it probably needed a whole layer of EVA just to get to the right base diameter. But IDGAF, that can be version 2 when I have more than 3 weeks to work on it. Purists will draw and quarter me I'm sure.

Ready for many, many coats of PVA to seal it now.

(Ignore the HORRENDOUS mess in my office please)
e: shitcock, tables.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

thespaceinvader posted:

But IDGAF, that can be version 2 when I have more than 3 weeks to work on it. Purists will draw and quarter me I'm sure.

Are you me? That's pretty much my attitude right now. :( I don't think this is horrible work for a first whack at making something with EVA but I know I could do better with more time and knowing where I made mistakes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

BlackIronHeart posted:

Are you me? That's pretty much my attitude right now. :( I don't think this is horrible work for a first whack at making something with EVA but I know I could do better with more time and knowing where I made mistakes.

Looks p. good to me.

The thing I'm trying to tell myself over and over is that I notice the flaws other people won't give a crap about, and that this is a cool and good thing to do.

And if the worst comes to the worst, I can always take it off, wear a cool shirt under the jumpsuit, and tie the arms round my waist.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Eh, I didn't mean it as a criticism. It was just something I was unaware of until I saw some official pics. In my head the helmets were about the same size as the trooper helmets, and they are actually a good bit bigger. I think even the hasbro toys years ago started with small helmets.

The new TIE helmets in ep7 are a lot slimmer and smaller.

Trust me, the only people looking at your helmet and bitching are people you don't wanna associate with anyway. Do your best, and have fun, that's what the hobby is about.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well my best laid plans of not doing this costume at the last minute for Anime North got disrupted by a seventy hour work week in the beginning of the month plus getting hit by the flu. Despite that got the Domon Kasshu from G Gundam done. I'm pretty happy with it, except for the buckle area. Interesting I looked through a lot of domon cosplays and no one seemed to get the buckle completely right. So I sort of cheated and just sewed a yellow rectangle and added a push button.

I'm just going to weather the cape with my hobby knife and sandpaper and I should be good to go. Also going to look around for a brighter green shirt when I go to toronto tomorrow.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Went to Joanns and a great local Denver shop today and it is just crazy and generally awesome how many cosplay centered patterns and fabrics are available now. The local shop Colorado Fabrics carries Worbla and also cosplay books. When I started really seeing costumes in high school finding good patterns for historical things or nerd specific characters was always a challenge.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've seen some Yaya Han patterns at JoAnn's, lately -- some others, too. I think it's great they've started targeting the younger crafters with tools that'll actually be appealing! I think sewing was left to moms and grandmas for the longest time; now, there's a whole new market to tap into, and it's very enthusiastic (and willing to drop cash).

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Eh, I didn't mean it as a criticism. It was just something I was unaware of until I saw some official pics. In my head the helmets were about the same size as the trooper helmets, and they are actually a good bit bigger. I think even the hasbro toys years ago started with small helmets.

The new TIE helmets in ep7 are a lot slimmer and smaller.

Trust me, the only people looking at your helmet and bitching are people you don't wanna associate with anyway. Do your best, and have fun, that's what the hobby is about.

Sadly that person is usually me :(

I'm proper loving chuffed with this though. I'm genuinely astounded nothing has gone wrong yet.

Just primer and paint plus any decals or whatever that I go for left.

And hopefully 3D printing some greeblies.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
For what it's worth I think I enter a period of extreme self-criticism bordering on hatred of my costumes right before I finish every single one. My group calls it "costumerexia" (which in retrospect is inaccurate and possibly mildly offensive but it stuck). You have to be so close up to it while you're working that it's hard not to see every little flaw. I only really liked my wizard, Arthas, honestly all my costumes once I put them all together and saw myself on the whole.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think it's looking pretty good!

You can hit the sink hardware section in Lowe's or some place and find tons of small little chromed blingy things you can mount/glue to the chestplate.

Looks cool man!

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Sewing chiffon sucks and I hate it. I also tried the top of my blouse on and it is totally not going to work so I have to recut it all.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Enough dilly-dallying, time to dive into the armor.

...baby steps.

Also haven't had the chance to buy any red fabric yet, so blue placeholder. I DID buy a leather jacket for 30 bucks that I intend to mangle beyond recognition to make the right leather pauldron.

Edit - I just noticed that in the final in-game version of the Soul of Cinder, they left out the blue tabard down the center of his chest. Hmmmm. Not quite sure which version I'll go with in that case, but I'll probably make it anyway.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 28, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I think it's looking pretty good!

You can hit the sink hardware section in Lowe's or some place and find tons of small little chromed blingy things you can mount/glue to the chestplate.

Looks cool man!

The flights would be rather costly, I'll just go to Wickes instead :P

Yeah, I'm thinking about taking some time out to greeble it a bit more, but tbh I have a fairly full-on week coming up already and it's plenty greebled already.

I just need the straps to arrive in time now. And the replacement correctly-sized boiler suit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chiffon sucks and is the enemy of all that is decent in this world.

Have you tried the trick of putting very lightweight dissolvable stabilizer (or tissue paper) between the chiffon and the feed dogs? I hear that can help.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Funhilde posted:

Sewing chiffon sucks and I hate it. I also tried the top of my blouse on and it is totally not going to work so I have to recut it all.

gently caress chiffon. Use your finest needle and a layer of tissue paper underneath it. You can tear the tissue paper away on either side of the stitching line, but don't sew the tissue into anywhere you can't pull it away from both sides. Really it's just to give your feed dogs something to interface with rather than the material. You can also use wash-away stiffener or starch, or iron-on wash-away interfacing, but the latter is a bit harder to find in stores. I cheat like hell and pretty much use any method possible to stabilize the sewing line, down to using tiny strips of iron-on interfacing to just control that demon fabric at the exact line I need, and it is hidden in the seam in the end.

PS greeble is the best word

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Yeah I've done all the tricks and I just still think it sucks. Doesn't help that the fit is wrong so I have to redo. I decided to work on a different part of the project and return to the blouse when I ah be hours to devote to sewing.

The thing is that I know if I even just have a pretty white blouse on with the hat, the red waist and a fluffy skirt nobody will even know but me that it isn't "right".

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
A little more progress! It's very much a 'learn as you go' type project, as far as figuring out how best to achieve the shapes/designs of the cuirass. I was also super happy to find that I still had a couple plastic buckle clips lying around from last time, which made my life much easier (the only place I know of that sells them is like an hour away)

Those of you who actually enter contests at cons - How far ahead do you typically plan things out? I would definitely like to enter this one (when it's finished) into an actual convention, but it seems like if I wanted to seriously consider it, I'd have to plan things out at least 6 months in advance, given that I'd need air tickets, hotel reservation, con tickets, etc. Seems like a rather massive undertaking.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 30, 2016

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Took a chiffon break to sew up a quick penguin costume for my 15 month old daughter. Her version on Halloween was made of fleece so it was going to be too hot. We are going to watch the Pride parade in our costumes before heading to the con so her outfit needed to be lighter.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

This is probably my last post before the final costume - everything's getting a layer of gloss varnish tomorrow to seal it (as the black paint I used is a touch prone to peeling, and varnish worked on the chest box), and I'm just waiting for the right sized boiler suit and the straps to hold it all together before it's done, so I should have final pics tomorrow with any luck, or Thursday if not (and I'll have the bodge something with duck tape and velcro if the straps don't turn up in time :( )

Finished chest plate:

3d printed the cogwheel bits at the hackspace.

And the mounting system to get the box on and off; I'm going to be wearing this for an X-Wing minis tournament, and the box will contain (almost) all my stuff for the game.

Primed

(yes, that is a bin it's sitting on, and the polyfilla was used to fill in the Dunlop logo on the belt)

And painted

(I need a better photography rig for this size of stuff, I'm fine for photographing miniatures... any suggestions? There's been talk of doing a proper photo booth at Hackspace. Maybe we could set up a greenscreen, that would be cool.)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Funhilde posted:

Took a chiffon break to sew up a quick penguin costume for my 15 month old daughter. Her version on Halloween was made of fleece so it was going to be too hot. We are going to watch the Pride parade in our costumes before heading to the con so her outfit needed to be lighter.

Preemptively requesting pictures of your daughter cosplaying as Gunter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Preemptively requesting pictures of your daughter cosplaying as Gunter.

This is penguin from Mary Poppins but I could also do Gunther. We do have Adventure Time costumes.