Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Tokamak posted:

good poo poo

Thanks for the good poo poo, Tokamak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
So real talk: has everyone plotted their tasting platter for democracy?

All mine are within walking distance and feature both veg and cake stalls.

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011

Anidav posted:

I would Annex New Zealand so that we get Carls Jr. That is my election platform. Pro Burg.

Psshh, amateur hour. Annex California so we can get In 'N' Out Burger. Only then will you earn my vote.

Anidav posted:

I would also make this our national anthem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_9SsX7HJhE

Ok forget what I said about the burger thing. Anidav for lifetime PM.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fliptophead posted:

So real talk: has everyone plotted their tasting platter for democracy?

All mine are within walking distance and feature both veg and cake stalls.

the place that's the closest to my house puts the food out the back and I have to say hi to all the how to vote people three times its bullshit

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

MC Eating Disorder posted:

the place that's the closest to my house puts the food out the back and I have to say hi to all the how to vote people three times its bullshit

Mine also does this but had some real nice cakes during the local election so it might be worth it

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

That is bs but do they say hello back?

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Council election pamphlet dudes were really friendly but state election people were real cold last time like they'd seen some poo poo, was Campbell newmans ousting, they clearly were not looking forward to it

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

Council election pamphlet dudes were really friendly but state election people were real cold last time like they'd seen some poo poo, was Campbell newmans ousting, they clearly were not looking forward to it

It was weird. At my booth at least, Council election had really friendly Libs and kinda jerky Labor guys, but it was the other way around at the State Election. I think it was just the particular booth I was stationed at and isn't reflective of the campaign or other booths. Bottom line, Indro Uniting Church has the best music and snags #fact

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

turdbucket posted:

And I'm sorry you are such a pedant. yeah it's still Greens policy but he doesn't exactly like to advertise the fact does he? Can we trust him to push the issue if the Greens are holding the balance of power after this election or in future? Maybe he will but maybe he won't. I'd like for the MPs to debate and discuss how they would like us to prioritise and advertise ourselves as a party, advertise because the only real power the leader should have is the power of getting more media coverage due to being the "leader" of the Greens and then for the membership to come together and vote on the new leader and therefore the kind of rhetoric and positioning we want to move forward with.

There was no committee, the leader is elected by the parliamentary group which consists solely of MPs, not the National Delegate meeting or reference group or anything else. I am on committees but I'd rather not specify which ones I am on, you know that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about how stupid and hypocritical it is to have a grassroots party where the membership do actually get a say in policy and elect virtually every position within the party BUT the leadership which is for some reason both too important to be trusted to the regular members and yet a worthless title so we shouldn't worry about it. Anyway this is beside the point that RDN is a scumbag for underpaying his staff, the election of the leader is something we can deal with post-election.

DAAS Kapitalist - don't defend him, most people I talk to while volunteering like the Greens but don't trust RDN and I just say yeah he's poo poo but members still decide and control policy so his only real influence is that the media go to him first for any Greens related announcements and then I add that we are hoping to have a proper leadership election after the federal election.

This is a good post. There's a 'six of one half a dozen of the other' issue with party-politics, sometimes good people get squashed by the party, sometimes its the only thing that reigns them in. In the end, you should be voting for the party not the man because surely by now you all understand its the party that has the power, not its representative. RDN sucks and the way he got in also sucks, but elections are tests as well as opportunities and it will get interesting afterwards indeed, and he wanted the test so he'll rise to it or fail.

A good thing about the Greens as a party is that they're not shy of criticising their leaders in public, they're not run by a PR firm (an interesting claim Andrew Elder is presently making about the Libs), and that criticism doesn't have the blow-back the majors have such terror of. It's a drat sight more democratic than the ALP too. For me, that's the most genuinely advanced structure in a Federal party in over 40 years. So while I don't have much faith in the current leader, I do have faith in its members.

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011
Newspoll's out. No change.

GhostWhoVotes posted:

#Newspoll Federal 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 49 (0) ALP 51 (0) #ausvotes

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hung parliament.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

Maybe Australians will get used to the idea that a hung parliament isn't such a bad thing after all???

hah who am I kidding

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

Hung parliament.

I didn't know the Hague still had that on the cards for crimes against humanity.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

No one would claim James Hird is their favourite genius these days

Can't even lie to the cops properly Mr Speaker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTDiC0huVDs

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Lid posted:

No one would claim James Hird is their favourite genius these days

clearly you haven't met any true believer #standbyhird #donthesash fanatics

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Im in sydney its a miracle if i meet someone who knows afl is a sport and not a sitcom alien typo

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lid posted:

He's so close.

I liked this bit

quote:

We coast through rundown little hill-country settlements which Joyce says house his strongest political supporters. They're mostly battlers who get by on part-time work and welfare. Some have been here for generations; others, typically from Sydney's west, come in search of cheap housing and a better way of life. Their houses are ramshackle and tiny yet brightly painted, often with Australian flags or smiley-faces displayed in the windows. "They're very proud of their country," says Joyce. "You see other people who the country has given so much, and they're cynical and run it down. These people have so little, yet they love the place so much."

Oh barnabus

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

katlington posted:

I liked this bit

Oh barnabus

cognitive dissonance

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lid posted:

Im in sydney its a miracle if i meet someone who knows afl is a sport and not a sitcom alien typo

One of my favourite things about the city.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Counterpoint to some of the hate lately, RDN is great, highly intelligent, very eloquent and principled. The way he became parliamentary leader was through parliamentary representative rules - don't see why anyone has an issue.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

iajanus posted:

One of my favourite things about the city.

:agreed: I'd much rather people talk about a sport where the team captains drink dog piss or whatever the gently caress you weirdos do up there

AgentF
May 11, 2009

starkebn posted:

Counterpoint to some of the hate lately, RDN is great, highly intelligent, very eloquent and principled. The way he became parliamentary leader was through parliamentary representative rules - don't see why anyone has an issue.

I think he's well spoken and is doing well acting as a respectable figurehead for the party. I expect the Murdoch press to be digging as hard as they can against him.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Frogmanv2 posted:

Thats not what you stated. If you would like to change your argument, then go for it, but to say he appointed himself is entirely wrong.

Still greens policy.

Still greens policy

He still pushing left wing rhetoric

Okay, so let's address something here. There are two forms of "policy" within the Australian Greens - there is the overall policy which guides decision-making in Parliament, and there are "policy initiatives" or "election initiatives." Overall policy is set through membership input, although how much input is debatable. NSW is consistently the slowest state to respond with policy amendments and consensus at the national policy coordination group, because we put policy decisions before meetings of our state council, which involve every local group in NSW. In Victoria, policy decisions are made by the state executive, since Victoria is much more centralised than NSW.

Policy initiatives, on the other hand, are crafted and decided upon by the party room. That's why, for example, free education is technically a policy, but doesn't appear in any of our education materials aside from the ones Lee Rhiannon went rogue on and printed herself. The party room doesn't run free education as a focus (not since they ripped the education portfolio away from Lee), even when talking about education, because it has been decided that it's too radical and makes us look less professional and trustworthy. The tone and tenor of policy initiatives has gone significantly to the right under Richard, and his messaging focuses on the greens being mainstream, trustworthy and professional.

Frogmanv2 posted:

They could have if they wanted to. Pretty sure there was a committee that established and voted for who should be on the leadership panel and it was made up of members of the greens party.

Where did you hear this? The leadership ballot was held entirely within the party room, voted on entirely by the party room. The National Council had no say over the leadership election, since as has been made clear, the "leader" is only the leader of the party room, despite the fact that he likes to act like he's the leader of the Greens. Turdbucket is right - anyone outside of Victoria has had no say on Richard's preselection or election, and their say on his elevation to leader has been limited to solely their Parliamentary representation. In the case of NSW, we had one vote among 11, despite boasting a third of the membership and providing the lion's share of ongoing funding to the national party. National Council or Conference choosing the leader would be a FAR fairer and more representative system.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Maybe you should join the quick action committee if you would like a bigger say in what goes on? What committees are you a part of?

[on second thought, removing this - but suffice to say "some significant committees"]

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 23, 2016

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
PSA for you decentralised types:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't get the RDN hate. I don't really know much about him except that he seems to be a far more charismatic and likeable public figurehead for the Greens than Milne was.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Quantum Mechanic posted:

National Council or Conference choosing the leader would be a FAR fairer and more representative system.

And introducing the new leader of the Greens, Sarah Hanson-young. *Monkey paw closes its finger.*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Tokamak posted:

And introducing the new leader of the Greens, Sarah Hanson-young. *Monkey paw closes its finger.*

*Bill Leak claps*

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
cognitive_dissonance.txt

"Morrison attacks negative gearing"

quote:

Scott Morrison has sent out a statement which says Labor’s housing tax will see the wealthy continuing to negatively-gear existing housing stock while still gaining a “massive” tax advantage over low and middle income earners.

According to the treasurer, Labor’s negative gearing policy would see the wealthiest investors who earn over $100,000 continue to claim nearly 90% of their net rental losses against their investment income. Yet middle and low income earners only have enough investment income to claim less than one quarter, “essentially locking them out of investment in existing housing,” the statement says. It continues that an analysis of Australian Taxation Office data shows:

A typical individual using negative gearing in the top 10% of income earners has enough investment income to allow them to offset almost 90% of their net rental losses. By contrast individuals using negative gearing in the bottom 90% of income earners typical have enough investment income to allow them to offset less than a quarter of their net rental losses.”

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Tokamak posted:

nah probably not, but honestly would prefer this with the ability to have a proportionate membership group remove her than a bunch of MPs with no accountability

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I agree Scott, we should abolish negative gearing altogether

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Let's have some responsible shooters as examples to us all!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-23/arrest-threatens-michael-diamonds-olympic-shooting-dream/7436220

quote:

Dual Olympic shooting gold medallist Michael Diamond arrested on drink-driving and gun charges
Updated 23 minutes ago

Shooting veteran Michael Diamond says he thinks he will be "OK" despite a firearms charge putting his Olympic selection in doubt. The 44-year-old dual Olympic gold medallist was arrested following an alleged domestic incident with his brother at Nelson Bay, near Newcastle on Saturday night. Diamond refused to undergo a roadside breath test when he was stopped at Shoal Bay. Police also searched his car where they allegedly found a shotgun and 150 rounds of ammunition. Police said Diamond recorded a reading of 0.159 when he later underwent a breath analysis at Raymond Terrace Police Station. He has been charged with high range drink driving, not keeping a firearm safe and using a firearm while under the influence of alcohol.

Speaking with the ABC this morning, Diamond referred all questions to Shooting Australia. He said he was not in a position to make comment on the charges but did say he would be "OK". Diamond was bailed to appear in court next month, while his brother has also taken out a provisional apprehended violence order against him. Diamond made his Olympic debut in Barcelona, where he finished 11th in the mixed trap event. He won the Olympic men's trap in Atlanta in 1996, and successfully defended his title in Sydney four years later before finishing eighth, fourth and fourth in Athens, Beijing and London respectively. His place at the Rio Games had already been under a cloud, with his selection being challenged by fellow Australian shooter Mitchell Iles. Iles, 16, is arguing to the Court of Arbitration for Sport that he shot the national federation's benchmark score of 121 from 125 targets more times than Diamond and fellow shooter Adam Vella.

The tears of a clown or just crocodile tears?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-23/sussan-ley-supports-medicare-rebate-freeze-rollback/7436538

quote:

Election 2016: Sussan Ley says Finance, Treasury won't let her unfreeze Medicare rebates By political reporter Caitlyn Gribbin Updated 41 minutes ago

The Federal Health Minister says she wants to lift the Government's freeze on Medicare rebates but the Finance and Treasury departments are not "allowing" her to do so.

The Government announced in this month's budget the indexation freeze would be extended until at least 2020, which doctors are warning will lead to less bulk billing. Labor has promised to unwind the freeze if elected. Health Minister Sussan Ley told the ABC she would like to see the return of indexation of Medicare rebates. "I understand for doctors that the GP freeze has been difficult and I appreciate they're working with us," Ms Ley said. "I've said to doctors I want that freeze lifted as soon as possible but I appreciate that Finance and Treasury aren't allowing me to do it just yet."

The Federal Government said the measure would save $925 million, but GPs argue their practices have been largely absorbing the cost of the indexation freeze, and services would be affected if it continued. GPs have warned they could be forced to charge a larger gap to fee-paying patients, choose to bulk bill fewer patients or ask patients to return for further appointments for follow-ups. Despite the freeze on the rebate, bulk billing rates have continued to grow and are at a high of 84 per cent. Ms Ley said the cost to doctors would be reasonable. "I'm surprised that a bulk billing incentive that's worth about 60 cents per consultation now and maybe $2.50 by the end of the forecast period would cause additional payments of $20-25," she said. "I think we need to be careful about what is actually going on … 60 cents a consultation is not a huge amount."

Opposition health spokeswoman Catherine King said Ms Ley had indicated to doctors the freeze on Medicare rebates would be lifted in the budget. "Doctors have said the shock that they got at the 2016 budget … that the freeze was not going to be lifted as the minister had in fact given them a nod and a wink that she was planning to do, that in fact she got rolled in Cabinet on this issue, that it was being extended — that's the tipping point for them."
:psyboom: I mean aside from wearing a comically oversized T-Shirt that says "I'm a gently caress-up" what more can they do?

Oh and wages growth (best leading indicator of economic performance) just took a poo poo. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/6345.0/

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Cartoon posted:

:psyboom: I mean aside from wearing a comically oversized T-Shirt that says "I'm a gently caress-up" what more can they do?

holy fuckin money

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/3921416/pressure-on-labor-for-repeal-of-protest-law/?cs=87

quote:

Bid to repeal anti-protest law this week

The state government has appealed to the Labor Party for bipartisanship to block a bill that would overturn contentious anti-protesting laws.

On Wednesday, parliament will debate the Workplace (Protection from Protestors) Repeal Bill, tabled by the Greens.

The original legislation prohibited protesting at any site, public or private, which may hinder access to a business premises or disrupt operations.

First passed in 2014, the law has been plagued by a lingering controversy which escalated in January this year after Dr Bob Brown and four others were arrested while protesting at a forestry coupe.

Braddon MHA Joan Rylah urged the Labor party to "break free from the curse of the Greens" when voting on the bill.

"This Wednesday, when the Greens bring on for debate their repeal bill of the Workplace Protection Laws, Labor needs to vote against the repeal bill and in support of our laws," she said.

But Opposition Leader Bryan Green was quick to reiterate Labor’s opposition to the laws during a Sunday morning press conference.

"We made it very clear that the protest laws were set up politically," Mr Green said.

"It was all about the politics of the issue, it was never about having sound legislation. There's already national legislation when it comes to trespass laws on workplaces."

Though he did not commit to voting for or against the repeal, Mr Green said his party "did not support the legislation in the first place."

Greens Leader Cassy O'Connor, who also fronted the media on Sunday, said her party hoped to overturn the laws they considered unfair.

"We think it's about time the Liberals and Labor recognise that these laws are a sham. They're draconian and they appear to be unworkable and they should vote for our repeal bill,” she said.

Following his arrest at Lapoinya, Dr Brown announced he would be challenging the anti-protest laws in the High Court.

Last Tuesday, Tasmania Police announced the charges against Dr Brown would be dropped after information was received suggesting he was located on a “business premise” but had been charged with entering a “business access area.”

However Dr Brown said his challenge would continue despite the fact that he is no longer fighting personal charges.

The following day, May 18, Minister for Forestry Peter Gutwein announced the Solicitor-General would seek to have the matter thrown out of the High Court.

The challenge to the laws will be presented to the High Court this Wednesday in Melbourne.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Cliev is not running for senate :(

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
He shall live forever in Valhalla, shiny and chrome

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a95u6ELGHv0

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
if the greens leader was elected by the party we all know it would be larissa, and then you would have a queenslander in charge and true corruption and incompetence could begin

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Today's IBAC hearing is impressively horrific

I WANNA BE A TWINK
Mar 27, 2016
Spendometer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Neat, so Labor will vote against anything the Greens say they support. I wonder how this can be leveraged.

• Locked thread