Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Night Force was a miniseries from the outset, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I will never forgive DC for working so hard to integrate lovely characters from lovely canceled books into other titles, but completely forgetting about all the Demon Knights except Vandal Savage and Etrigan the minute they canceled the book.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Ystin :911:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I was more going for "did you remember these were even published?" and mostly things that lasted a year or less, though some of those books hung on for a shockingly long time (Stormwatch got thirty goddamn issues, somehow). I didn't include Demon Knights/I Vampire because people still lament them, vocally. No one laments Grifter or Hawkman.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Dexie posted:

Demon Knights was too good for this world.

Demon Knights was too good for DC Comics.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Just cancelled my preorder for the one-shot; I'm not gonna call for a boycott, but I might as well put my money where my mouth is. Not buying any Rebirth book that features Watchmen characters, either.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to the neo-post-crisis continuity being rebooted with a Neil Gaiman's Sandman - themed crossover.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Looking forward to DC Unbirth, a line of comics catering to extremely specific fetishes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

I was more going for "did you remember these were even published?" and mostly things that lasted a year or less, though some of those books hung on for a shockingly long time (Stormwatch got thirty goddamn issues, somehow). I didn't include Demon Knights/I Vampire because people still lament them, vocally. No one laments Grifter or Hawkman.

Not only do I not remember Nightforce, I'm not sure I knew it existed in the first place. This is not a joke, I genuinely don't think I even heard of it. What the gently caress was it?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gaz-L posted:

Not only do I not remember Nightforce, I'm not sure I knew it existed in the first place. This is not a joke, I genuinely don't think I even heard of it. What the gently caress was it?

I'm in the same boat. I don't remember a single thing about it.

I do remember a Shade mini and a Penguin mini though, from the start of the N52. Those were pretty good if I'm remembering right?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

What the hell was Nightforce? Also, wasn't Voodoo supposed to be a big deal for some reason? Weren't the Daemonites also supposed to be a big deal? Did they ever reveal what the hell the Question was? They tried to sell a book just called "Sword and Sorcery!?" Why?! Why did I read the N52 as long as I did?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Little Mac posted:

What the hell was Nightforce? Also, wasn't Voodoo supposed to be a big deal for some reason? Weren't the Daemonites also supposed to be a big deal? Did they ever reveal what the hell the Question was? They tried to sell a book just called "Sword and Sorcery!?" Why?! Why did I read the N52 as long as I did?

IIRC, there was supposed to be a crossover centered around the Daemonites around fall 2012. Its abrupt cancellation is one of the things that led Rob Liefeld to very publicly and angrily quit DC.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Little Mac posted:

Because there was plenty of good in the New 52 too.

And Sword of Sorcery starred Amethyst of Gemworld. I wish that book had actually went somewhere because Amethyst is neat. :sigh:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Night Force (which was in fact an seven issue mini-series from the start, my mistake) was a book that Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan did at DC in the early 1980s, sort of as a take-off of their Tomb of Dracula series at Marvel with "Baron Winters" hiring a Van Helsing to form a team to fight supernatural crime. It was not very successful and ended after fourteen issues.

Wolfman brought it back in the 1990s as part of an abortive line that also included FATE (the extreme 1990s version of Doctor Fate, where the helmet is melted down and turned into throwing knives!). Scare Tactics (a monster rock band!) and a Challengers of the Unknown revamp that was originally a TV pitch to cash in on X-Files. This one had minimal connections to the first one (Baron Winters forms a new crew!) and ended after twelve issues.

Wolfman brought Night Force back a THIRD time in the New 52 which was basically a reboot. Same gimmick.

I'm still not sure how this series pitch got picked up three times over thirty years.

And yeah, Daemonites were gonna be BIG in the New 52. They were seeded into a bunch of the launch titles (Grifter, Voodoo, Stormwatch, Demon Knights, Superman, Hawkman, the Para-Demons in the first Justice League arc were drawn to look a lot like Daemonites though maybe that's just Jim Lee). Hellspont was being set up as the new big Superman bad guy (with a mysterious connection to Krypton!) in that written-by-committee nightmare first year of Superman's N52 book. No idea why they dropped these plans. They seemed to do a lot of that in the early days of the New 52. Remember TRINITY WAR and the SECRET SOCIETY?

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

And The Question...?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Man, I forgot Demon Knights was New 52. I loved it but thought it started pre 52 and got rebooted.

I think I got confused because the new 52 is bad and the second arc of Demon Knights when they changed writers like 16 issues in is also bad, so I assumed they were connected.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dexie posted:

Because there was plenty of good in the New 52 too.

And Sword of Sorcery starred Amethyst of Gemworld. I wish that book had actually went somewhere because Amethyst is neat. :sigh:

If DC actually wanted to bring in younger readers, they'd do a line with books like Teen Titans, Amethyst of Gemworld, The Metal Men, Kamandi, Static Shock, and Supergirl/Batgirl. That'd also involve putting decent writers on the books and not some has beens.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC does not care about young readers because, and I will quote Bob Wayne here "Kids don't have money for comics so gently caress 'em."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So this is a thing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So this is a thing

Yes, we already know about it. Both of them exist. one is on the Titans and the other the Teen Titans.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I was talking about Wally's new costume and generally that scan giving us the first glimpse at some of the characters post rebirth like Artemis or Bizarro.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I hope one of the Wallys takes on the "Impulse" moniker because you can't bring Wally West back and not balance it out by widdling on Young Justice again. I think Didio made that company policy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Remembering the New 52 Fallen:

Blackhawks
Savage Hawkman
Hawk & Dove
Mister Terrific
OMAC
Static Shock
GI Combat
Men of War
Star Spangled War Stories
Ravagers
Captain Atom
Resurrection Man
Trinity of Sin - Pandora
Trinity of Sin - Phantom Stranger
Trinity of SIn
Voodoo
Grifter
Team 7
Stormwatch
Threshold
Larfleeze
T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents
Katana
Justice League of America's Vibe
Nightforce
Sword & Sorcery
Klarion
The Green Team
The Movement
Doomed

I couldn't even tell you what half of these books were about. The only one there I'd even be interested in is Captain Atom, I always liked him but I remember not liking the writer on the book when it launched so I never read it. I forgot who it was though. Has DC completely abandoned the idea of Hawk people? I can't remember the last time I heard about them being in a comic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Larfleeze

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I couldn't even tell you what half of these books were about. The only one there I'd even be interested in is Captain Atom, I always liked him but I remember not liking the writer on the book when it launched so I never read it. I forgot who it was though. Has DC completely abandoned the idea of Hawk people? I can't remember the last time I heard about them being in a comic.

Not even one of those books were any good and every one of them were a sales disaster.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

I think the bare minimum for the Manhattan twist being defensible as a purely creative decision would be if Johns was actually willing to own the obvious symbolic implications of using Dr. Manhattan as he's used here: "Yes, we believe Watchmen was a deeply flawed work that's responsible for the grim and gritty superhero comics that have been published since 1986, and we're going to have the heroes of the DC Universe fight it and everything it represents head-on."

It would be a highly controversial opinion, and not one I'd agree with, and crashingly unsubtle in its execution, but it'd at least be consistent with what's on the printed page.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

GI Zombie was legit

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yo the whole Watchmen thing is straight fuckin retarded and I really hoe this is te thing that blows up so spectacularly that DC finally as to do something new

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Literally The Worst posted:

Yo the whole Watchmen thing is straight fuckin retarded and I really hoe this is te thing that blows up so spectacularly that DC finally as to do something new

The only thing that will force DC to do something new is a top to bottom shakeup of the editorial and management. Fire every one of them and bring in new people.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

The only thing that will force DC to do something new is a top to bottom shakeup of the editorial and management. Fire every one of them and bring in new people.

DC, I am available, just FYI. I will work cheap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

DC, I am available, just FYI. I will work cheap.

I think Didio and the boys aren't even slightly worried anymore. Ever since the threat of giving control of DC to TW Book Group went away there's no publisher on hand to take over.

Edit: I mean let's be real. We all know this isn't going to revive DC, it's just another LOOK AT US WE MAKE COMICS moment that they've been pulling for the last decade.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

but for that to happen they need to have something blow up so spectacularly that they just hemorrhage money to the point that WB can't ignore it

for example

rebirth being the dumbest loving thing put to paper since dave sim's spawn issue

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

but for that to happen they need to have something blow up so spectacularly that they just hemorrhage money to the point that WB can't ignore it

for example

rebirth being the dumbest loving thing put to paper since dave sim's spawn issue

Let's see what June brings but I don't think it will blow up that bad. I mean poo poo, I have a dude who wants 5 copies of every Rebirth #1.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They would have to specifically gently caress something up about Batman for it to hurt their sales enough for WB to give a poo poo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rhyno posted:

Let's see what June brings but I don't think it will blow up that bad. I mean poo poo, I have a dude who wants 5 copies of every Rebirth #1.

that guy is a loving moron and you should take him out back and shoot him and watch the average IQ of the collective comics fan sphere bubble whatever double

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
spoilers june is going to bring a big fat pile of bullshit

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

that guy is a loving moron and you should take him out back and shoot him and watch the average IQ of the collective comics fan sphere bubble whatever double

gently caress that I want his money

spoilers june is going to bring a big fat pile of bullshit

And July.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahaha what the gently caress is going on here

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

They would have to specifically gently caress something up about Batman for it to hurt their sales enough for WB to give a poo poo

Yeah, like if DC were solidly locked out of having any top 10 selling books for months on end again, then we could maybe start theorizing about the shakeup of DC, but even the cynic in me doesn't think it'll be that bad.

Granted I don't think it'll be that good either. This isn't going to get DC a whole bunch of new first time readers and my longterm prediction for DC is still a slow death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

It will definitely result in a decent sales boost for six months or so, maybe a bit more, but I highly doubt it'll fix any of their underlying problems.

• Locked thread