Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Haha, I can remember playing fan-translated versions of older Falcom games like Xanadu Next, Gurumin and Ys back when I was younger in ye olde 2006-2007 or so. Weird to see one that old being rereleased in English but hey, the more this becomes the norm the better for us PC gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Heavy neutrino posted:

Another Falcom title, Xanadu Next, is coming to steam this summer. Is it good?

ridiculously good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmm3cwFeUbI

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beta registration for Phantom Brave PC.
https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/734096516927782912

Didn't know you could do these for single player games, so it sounds like they care how this port turns out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember beta openings for Fairy Fencer or something from that company.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
IF did/does betas for all their games, so it seems like NISA is following suit.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

'Beta' is just code for 'demo' nowadays because it's easier to fool people that stuff will actually change before the final release.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well it's also like "Unpaid QA and bug testing".

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Tae posted:

I remember beta openings for Fairy Fencer or something from that company.

fairy fencer f is a compile heart/idea factory game, that wasn't nisa

that said, didn't they do beta openings for disgaea pc, anyway?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Is there anything released recently with gameplay like Dragon Warrior/Quest Monsters, where you collect and breed a bunch of monsters into progressively more badass characters? Pokemon never scratched the same breeding itch for me and I've played the latest DQM (Joker 2) to death.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are you asking besides SMT games?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Ninth Layer posted:

Is there anything released recently with gameplay like Dragon Warrior/Quest Monsters, where you collect and breed a bunch of monsters into progressively more badass characters? Pokemon never scratched the same breeding itch for me and I've played the latest DQM (Joker 2) to death.

How recent are we talking and how much do things like plot and presentation matter?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There's a game on Steam called Siralim where the developer basically cops to making it an homage to DQM, though I find it runs farther into the roguelike elements of the first game and has way too much crafting poo poo going on.

Also each monster only has one move for some reason.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Phantasium posted:

what the poo poo

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Phantasium posted:

There's a game on Steam called Siralim where the developer basically cops to making it an homage to DQM, though I find it runs farther into the roguelike elements of the first game and has way too much crafting poo poo going on.

There's a sequel coming out in 5 days.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Agnostalgia posted:

what the poo poo

It makes more sense since your dude has spells on hand but you have so little MP that you get like two moves before being stuck just going through the motions.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

'Beta' is just code for 'demo' nowadays because it's easier to fool people that stuff will actually change before the final release.

Except NIS tends to give beta testers free copies of their games so it's generally worth signing up anyway to save a few bucks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Ninth Layer posted:

Digimon Cyber Sleuth if you have a Vita or PS4

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

END ME SCOOB posted:

There's a sequel coming out in 5 days.

Already planning on buying it. Had a lot of fun with Siralim, and the changes to Siralim 2 look to be really good on paper.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Tae posted:

Are you asking besides SMT games?

I've never linked them to DQM before but yeah, they are pretty similar. I played them all besides the new SMT4. They're fun but I've never felt the same about the demons as I do about the monsters in DQM. My Persona/SMT demons always felt very disposable compared to the DQM guys, even if I probably went through them at the same rate. I also kinda like the grindy nature of DQM raising my monsters from scratch and always having to balance breeding a new one with the power drop my team hits. In SMT that's never an issue since demons come out of fusions already stacked with levels.

Zore posted:

How recent are we talking and how much do things like plot and presentation matter?

I started with the original DQM so don't care much about plot or presentation. "Recent" being in the last few years I guess.

I haven't played Siralim so I'll certainly check that out, and I have both a PS4 and Vita so I'll look into Digimon Cyber Sleuth too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I had a look at what the BP requirements are for A-Rank in Trails SC and fuuuck that noise. It's like a 2-point margin of error for the entire game. FC's requirement for Class 1 was something like a 50-point margin.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They don't give away A-Ranks for nothing you know

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

SC's book collection is less of a punishment, at least.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So I had a look at what the BP requirements are for A-Rank in Trails SC and fuuuck that noise. It's like a 2-point margin of error for the entire game. FC's requirement for Class 1 was something like a 50-point margin.

Well if it helps, in later games Estelle is canonically only a B-Rank Bracer.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
B+ Bracers for life

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Well if it helps, in later games Estelle is canonically only a B-Rank Bracer.

That's pretty dumb considering the events of the game but whatevs.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Well A-Ranks are the most exceptional bracers out there and it's supposed to take many, many years before anyone can reach it and then you've got the unofficial S-Ranks which a grand total of 4 people are referred to, one of them being Cassius. I suppose that seems silly that canonically she isn't A-Rank after the events of FC and SC, but someone going from rookie to B-Rank in about 6 months is almost unheard of and is a feat in of itself in the setting.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Ninth Layer posted:

I started with the original DQM so don't care much about plot or presentation. "Recent" being in the last few years I guess.

Well the game in garbage in almost every other way, but I really enjoy the monster collecting/breeding/combat of Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

Another you might want to check out thats a bit older is Magi Nation for the Gameboy Color.

Also if you haven't all the Monster Rancher games for PSX/2/GBA/NDS are going to scratch the itch too.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

if you get the ffx2 hd remaster you can use monsters for basically everything I believe.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

baram. posted:

if you get the ffx2 hd remaster you can use monsters for basically everything I believe.

Yeah, but you can't control them all you can do is control their aggressiveness. The last part is actually a neat mechanic because not only does it controls their aggressiveness it controls their damage too, so on the highest setting they do more damage, but also take more damage and on the lowest setting they give and take less damage. What's cool is you can do this on the fly so if you're fast enough you can deal more damage while taking less yourself. I wish you could use all of this when using Yuna, Rikku, and Paine.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Agnostalgia posted:

what the poo poo

I stopped playing Siralim when I heard the sequel was coming out so my memory isn't the best, but the thing about Siralim is that most monsters are defined by their stats/passive abilities.
Like one monster might have only a single attack, but gets a huge attack upgrade every time it kills an enemy.
And another attacks 3 enemies and inflicts bleeding with every attack.
Another has a vanilla attack but has a 50% chance to resurrect every time it's killed.
Also you can equip spell scrolls to them that allow them to cast spells, so it's not as 1 dimensional as it initially sounds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I havent played much SC yet, just in Ruan, but "you stopped a complex plot to overthrow the Liberl Monarchy, saved the Queen and Princess in a daring raid with the Royal Guard, AND killed a giant robot so dangerous it was made of polygons instead of pixels. Enjoy G-Rank!" was kinda dumb all on its own.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I havent played much SC yet, just in Ruan, but "you stopped a complex plot to overthrow the Liberl Monarchy, saved the Queen and Princess in a daring raid with the Royal Guard, AND killed a giant robot so dangerous it was made of polygons instead of pixels. Enjoy G-Rank!" was kinda dumb all on its own.

it's true that estelle and joshua had a big hand in stopping it, but they were working with some high-ranking bracers through most of it. it's only in sc that they really get chances to show off their own abilities, without needing more skilled veterans to step in and help them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

it's true that estelle and joshua had a big hand in stopping it, but they were working with some high-ranking bracers through most of it. it's only in sc that they really get chances to show off their own abilities, without needing more skilled veterans to step in and help them

True, but it wasnt like they weren't pulling their own weight. Leighston Fortess was on their initiative and Agate didnt do much beyond be there with them. I wouldn't expect them to go right to A-Rank, but it's a bit silly compared some guy who would've just gotten their recommendations being a regular gofer running errands for a couple of months in each city.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's like you said earlier. Getting A-Rank in SC requires things that no sane person would think to do.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Really Pants posted:

It's like you said earlier. Getting A-Rank in SC requires things that no sane person would think to do.

Oh, I know.

Besides, the real bullshit is the treasure chests not having individual humourous messages :sigh:.

Yes, I know there's 500+ of'em this time.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

weren't they adding messages with patches

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not if youre on the unpatchable psp version

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, I know.

Besides, the real bullshit is the treasure chests not having individual humourous messages :sigh:.

Yes, I know there's 500+ of'em this time.

the reason is actually that the first game, due to dumb coding, already had separate (identical) strings for every chest. so it was easy to give them all their own fun little messages. falcom did a better job of coding the sequel but as a result the translator couldn't put the jokes in :(

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What should I know before playing NWN2 for the first time? Does the game assume/work better with a particular class? I usually play wizards but if there's a bunch of dialogue locked behind picking another class I might want to play that instead. I've got the complete version from GOG but never got around to playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

What should I know before playing NWN2 for the first time? Does the game assume/work better with a particular class? I usually play wizards but if there's a bunch of dialogue locked behind picking another class I might want to play that instead. I've got the complete version from GOG but never got around to playing it.

There's no special dialogue for character classes that I remember, but it's based on D&D 3.5 which means All Spellcasters, All The Time.