Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

War Eagle posted:

by making it out that we're a cult of personality that worships The Mittani

Well that is what he self-identifies as:
https://www.themittani.com/content/27-five-types-alliance-leader

quote:

Dear Leader: One of the most basic methods of human leadership, the cult of personality is maddeningly common in EVE - as in the real world.

At the end he identifies himself as that type:

quote:

I once was a Grey Eminence, but then I learned a few things about human nature (none of them terribly pleasant) and abandoned the shadows to become a completely dictatorial Dear Leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I always thought the cult thing was more for our enemies than anything. People love to kill the bogeyman and his henchmen.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Daco Vato posted:

I'm actually surprised it took PL this amount of time to push the wardec button. It's helpful to their undock carrier camps as querns said so it is weird that it took them this long.

The War Dec thing was interesting to me, because it's something I've never seen us do before- even when staging out of the same station as Black Legion, us being all outlaws (quite literally all of us at the time) and them mostly having positive sec status, and maybe 1-2 outlaws. We have however had a shocking number of people do stupid things while camping the Saranen station, like... going afk with a criminal timer and active gun aggro and dying to guns. It's happened, more than once.

Daco Vato posted:

I feel like PL believes that they can... kill goons. Like they can do to us what they did to Brave. It's just not going to happen -- there is a grip of us who will just wait and I tend to think that group will still be there waiting when they get bored and start thinking about moving around. Their entire endgame can't be "let's camp a few hundred goons in station for a year." Seems silly. I'm willing to concede defeat in the war I guess, but if their objective is to kill us all off or make us all scatter to other corps the only people who are scattering, more and more, are proving to be the ones who just were around for the ticks and good times.

I don't think anyone worth listening to thinks we're actually going to kill goons.

We can remove you from nullsec.
We can bleed your allies.
We can camp your undock.
We can feed you FAXs in USTZ.

But we all fully expect GSF to still be a thing long after this war, I question however your ability to become the sov holding superpower you once were- but outright dead? Absolutely not.

Carth Dookie posted:

Or because if PL joined us they'd have significantly fewer supers/titans to shoot and historically they've never liked working with our calibre of "valued allies."

Do you realize who we're calling a 'valued ally' right now?

Seriously, FCON isn't the bottom of the barrel (much to everyone's shock and awe).

CainFortea posted:

There are more than a few people who will undock in saranenenene in an empty pod. Get popped. Undock again. They do this about every 20 seconds or so, given undock times and session change timers. And they'll do it for 20 or 30 minutes or so however long the bad dudes hang on the undock popping pods.

So no, it is certainly not even close to "most" of the pods that aren't empty.

When I say 'most' I'm speaking about what I have podded personally. Please realize there are 5-15 Loki's out there all competing for kills, so obviously there are plenty of empty pods- but there seem to be just as many pods with primary attribute +4s, a rare couple with +5s and a few dying with a hardwire worth 40-60m in varying frequency- I've seen High Grades twice, and Low Grades once.

It's pretty obvious to see who the people who are repeatedly undocking in an empty pod are and after the first 1-2 times it's not worth warping off to kill them (stupid gate gun menace).

Xolve fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 23, 2016

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xolve posted:

But we all fully expect GSF to still be a thing long after this war, I question however your ability to become the sov holding superpower you once were- but outright dead? Absolutely not.

ok

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Wow, hard to believe that article is 7 years old at this point.

quote:

The bad news is that these are hard to exterminate without utterly ruining the reputation of whichever Dear Leader is inspiring their charges.

And yeah, like I said this is what they've tried to do with Dear Leader, just latch onto each and every perceived flaw and drag him through the mud. It worked for us with Molle, and if Goonfleet is really just a personality cult then the plan will work, we'll all disband, and that'll be that. I don't think that's the case, and those of us on the inside can separate the Dear Leader persona from the actual person, and realize it's in large part a show for our enemies.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Xolve posted:

I don't think anyone really believes we're going to take AND hold all of our old space, the new mechanics would make it a nightmare of constant pings for defense ops and entosis ships. As someone who has personally gone through hundreds of units of Stront in the last couple of months, I can confidently say that everyone hates that mechanic and wants to avoid it as much as possible.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

War Eagle posted:

I don't think anyone really believes we're going to take AND hold all of our old space, the new mechanics would make it a nightmare of constant pings for defense ops and entosis ships. As someone who has personally gone through hundreds of units of Stront in the last couple of months, I can confidently say that everyone hates that mechanic and wants to avoid it as much as possible.

I've never activated an entosis link, but i'll take your word for it.

I have, however defended people with active entosis links, and it reminds me of the worst parts of faction warfare.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Looking at this from the perspective of someone who hasn't played in a loooong time until recently and is very ill-informed:

When I was playing eight or so years ago The Mittani's public in-game persona was always about spin, generating hurf from BoB/et al., and ~the narrative~. As a line member all I remember seeing from him was propaganda posts and leaked enemy chatlogs on gf.com that were mostly entertainment. I can certainly see how he pissed off the entire EVE playerbase against him/goons. That was kind of his thing.

Regardless of the intent, the TMC.com/H1Z1/kickstarter/what have you just fed into the cult story. Seems like at some point Mittani lost control of said narrative, or at least failed at disseminating his version of it. It's no wonder everyone came out of the woodwork to curbstomp the evil goon menace when the opportunity arose and is crowing their asses off about how quickly Deklein fell.

That said, I can't help but :ironicat: at the d-name folks who were on board as long as things were going well, jumped ship only after poo poo hit the fan, and started trolling as hard as they could.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 23, 2016

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Jazzzzz posted:

That said, I can't help but :ironicat: at the d-name folks who were on board as long as things were going well, jumped ship only after poo poo hit the fan, and start trolling as hard as they could.

I don't think any of the d-name people are ship jumpers, and are actually just really bad PL posters.

Except Paco Daco.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

the devs changing the sov system specifically to undermine our coalition defense choices helped too

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

yeah gently caress DCP

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Xolve posted:

I don't think any of the d-name people are ship jumpers, and are actually just really bad PL posters.

Except Paco Daco.

I'm thinking specifically of the dude with the Shirley Manson avatar who had the meltdown a couple pages back when deadtear trolled him about locator agents

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Part of it too is that citadels have eliminated two of the four classic benefits (alliance markets, better refining than NPC stations) that existed to hold space. i.e. red outposts are of questionable value given the absurd refines you can get with a 0.0 medium citadel that costs only 1.5b to drop.

Unrelated: rip pooki

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Xolve posted:

Except Paco Daco.

are you actually claiming despera the test guy who jumped instead of bridged and left because he was made fun of as one of yours :ohdear:

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm thinking specifically of the dude with the Shirley Manson avatar who had the meltdown a couple pages back when deadtear trolled him about locator agents

i had nothing to do with that, that was elsa ithink

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

are you actually claiming despera the test guy who jumped instead of bridged and left because he was made fun of as one of yours :ohdear:

No, gently caress that guy.

I just assumed he was in the 'shutup retard' category and not the 'd-name poster' category.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

the devs changing the sov system specifically to undermine our coalition defense choices helped too

Blaming our current situation on the Eve development team is dumb as gently caress but I suppose if we want to abrogate ourselves of all responsibility for the current situation, it's a way we can go yeah.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

sorry, I thought it was you because he always takes whatever bait you lay out

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rhymenoserous posted:

Blaming our current situation on the Eve development team is dumb as gently caress but I suppose if we want to abrogate ourselves of all responsibility for the current situation, it's a way we can go yeah.

who said they deserve all the blame

i just think that the fozziesov design explicitly disallowing friendly alliances from assisting in your sov defense, coupled with fozzie's <24h turnaround kneejerk response to the "goonhammer" stuff to be pretty damning in their intent, is all

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Well, they're obviously not completely at fault, but part of their stated goal with Aegis was to shake up null-sec and make the warfare more engaging and interactive. That was obviously aimed pretty squarely at the big sov holding alliances, of which we were the biggest. They have succeeded in shaking up null, that's for sure.

The time to go :tinfoilhat: will be when they change it again to have sov rely more on Citadels, after having made the change to dislodge us. That will then cement the current sov holders since even Horde is littering their space with medium citadels.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Glory of Arioch posted:

Saying that the whole sov system change was just to crap on the imperium is :shrek: it also hugely affected the massive rental empires and allowed smaller alliance to get a foot hold if they tried hard enough, having got into a few to safari a bit I can tell you that there a bunch of people that lived in HS before the changes now taking space because they now can.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sunber posted:

Saying that the whole sov system change was just to crap on the imperium is :shrek: it also hugely affected the massive rental empires and allowed smaller alliance to get a foot hold if they tried hard enough, having got into a few to safari a bit I can tell you that there a bunch of people that lived in HS before the changes now taking space because they now can.

naw, phoebe did the heavy lifting in regards to breaking up the massive rental empires, fozziesov came along way after that

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

War Eagle posted:

Well, they're obviously not completely at fault, but part of their stated goal with Aegis was to shake up null-sec and make the warfare more engaging and interactive. That was obviously aimed pretty squarely at the big sov holding alliances, of which we were the biggest. They have succeeded in shaking up null, that's for sure.

The time to go :tinfoilhat: will be when they change it again to have sov rely more on Citadels, after having made the change to dislodge us. That will then cement the current sov holders since even Horde is littering their space with medium citadels.

Fine, let them rot in our old space. There's tons of space out there.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Well I guess Mittens was right all along.

This really is a war of sovless aggression now. :toot:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also, funny thing about fozziesov, literally everyone in f/pb/dek taking space right now, with the exception of phorde, is recruiting renters to grind ADMs for them :laugh:

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

Xolve posted:

Except Paco Daco.

It's funny you should mention that...

Honestly though I'm down for whatever. I'm having a ton of fun in the game right now trying to think up new stuff and tactics and make it work with our doctrines and my playstyle and time. I've got mad love and respect for PL -- especially now that they seem to have abandoned the "elite pvp" mentality -- and I hope that's true -- but goons are the heart and soul of why I log in and play and it's not as much the people individually but more the collective group and the fact that I support the leadership and their decisions. Do goons like me back? That's debatable for some, for most not so much. This doesn't matter though because as long as the core message remains the same then I'm on board until the group decides "we're just not going to do this anymore." Then I'm done with this game. I joke around about it but I don't really care if I ever get my carriers back again or not. And since I ditched the sperging I'm just going to do what I can as little ol' me to disrupt things for the enemy. Play the game. Eat some poo poo on comms. So basically nothing changes except I'm gonna get a super if for no other reason than... because I want to annoy MH with my questions.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

Fine, let them rot in our old space. There's tons of space out there.
might as well join the ranks of other elite entities and run l5s for money

Kimsemus posted:

Well I guess Mittens was right all along.

This really is a war of sovless aggression now. :toot:

good job quoting reddit hours late

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

might as well join the ranks of other elite entities and run l5s for money

good job quoting reddit hours late

Sorry I was watching Game of Thrones and hazing Snuff. :v:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
many hours not 2 hours :colbert:

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Glory of Arioch posted:

naw, phoebe did the heavy lifting in regards to breaking up the massive rental empires, fozziesov came along way after that

While pheobe helped, the hp walls of the old system being removed really hammered in that it was possible for smaller groups imo as a psychological thing, sure people like PFR (:rip:) managed it inbetween the 2 but who really wants to grind stations in mass destroyers?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

pl must leave

goninzo
Aug 26, 2009

All around decent avatar
Goonswarm still has sov.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

goninzo posted:

Goonswarm still has sov.

did you have to petition CCP to get that back too

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
goddamn fix lag. Harsh.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
I would've saved it for Darius but he doesn't post here

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:boom:

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

:owned:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Daco Vato posted:

It's funny you should mention that...

Honestly though I'm down for whatever. I'm having a ton of fun in the game right now trying to think up new stuff and tactics and make it work with our doctrines and my playstyle and time. I've got mad love and respect for PL -- especially now that they seem to have abandoned the "elite pvp" mentality -- and I hope that's true -- but goons are the heart and soul of why I log in and play and it's not as much the people individually but more the collective group and the fact that I support the leadership and their decisions. Do goons like me back? That's debatable for some, for most not so much. This doesn't matter though because as long as the core message remains the same then I'm on board until the group decides "we're just not going to do this anymore." Then I'm done with this game. I joke around about it but I don't really care if I ever get my carriers back again or not. And since I ditched the sperging I'm just going to do what I can as little ol' me to disrupt things for the enemy. Play the game. Eat some poo poo on comms. So basically nothing changes except I'm gonna get a super if for no other reason than... because I want to annoy MH with my questions.

The PL I remember from 2014 and previous was very much about winning fights above all else, and it's something they did so well- we often had to start fights with our alt alliances and dogpile in afterwards or do the 'honourable 3rd party' thing that just about everyone was pretty sick and tired of (except us of course). The community was a bit closer back then, but over all the idea was to get and win as many fights as possible- either generated by shooting structures, 3rd partying, or completely destroying community events (repping Marlona's Nyx, that charity brawl, Kings of Lowsec, etc.) and we'd just jump around dunking on whatever we could find until the fights dried up, then we'd go somewhere else.

PL of the current year seems to be more about just getting fights, obviously we still plan on winning them- but occasionally calls are made where we're fighting 120 Caracals with 12 Astarte's and 5 Logistics with sprinkled tackle. After being back with the bros for a bit over a month now, hearing Mittens say "PL's identity is in their killboard" made me laugh so hard I drat near fell out of my chair. If that was the case, surely there would be a soundcloud of Grath raging over HABIT feeding a Titan to the Sholupen menace, or casper losing his Moracha (this is literally 50% of our isk lost this month) and surely if we were the old -A- 'killboards green types, we wouldn't share a killboard with Horde.

I'd advise you to wait on getting a super, for a multitude of reasons, but simply because they're still selling at their old cost, and are actually cheaper to build- combined with a module market that hasn't in any shape or form stabilized yet. Supers are okay, not nearly as crucial as they were pre-citadel and the new hotness is either carriers, HAW dreadnaughts (with the right guns ofc) and titans.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Part of it too is that citadels have eliminated two of the four classic benefits (alliance markets, better refining than NPC stations) that existed to hold space. i.e. red outposts are of questionable value given the absurd refines you can get with a 0.0 medium citadel that costs only 1.5b to drop.

Unrelated: rip pooki

Yeah, rip. Funny enough it was the far rear end aeons that got us hosed as they got caught on the In gate. We WERE fighting aligned out and at range which is why I jumped in a shield hel alongside armor supers to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stale meme dot png
May 5, 2015
College Slice

Xolve posted:

I'd advise you to wait on getting a super, for a multitude of reasons, but simply because they're still selling at their old cost, and are actually cheaper to build- combined with a module market that hasn't in any shape or form stabilized yet. Supers are okay, not nearly as crucial as they were pre-citadel and the new hotness is either carriers, HAW dreadnaughts (with the right guns ofc) and titans.

Oh yeah I didn't mean right away that would be sort of silly. I'll wait until I can park it at the wailing wall of whereverthefuck. :smug: Thanks for the advice for sure but I know I've still got plenty to keep me busy until then.

EDIT: I always thought "supers" could mean either supercarrier or titan. I don't care about big carrier I want a titan. Still going to hold off of course.

stale meme dot png fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 23, 2016

• Locked thread