Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Blazing Zero posted:

i was with you until this section. the cf devs still want massive worlds but they will be sharded. unless they recently scaled back from the 200+ per shard

I could be wrong but my understanding was they were going to run a bunch of parallel campaigns with like 128/256 CCUs on each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Has the definition of massive changed so much that a particularly popular Minecraft server now fits?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

30.5 Days posted:

Has the definition of massive changed so much that a particularly popular Minecraft server now fits?

seeing as no one can create anything better, yes

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

seeing as no one can create anything better, yes

:sad:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

SweetBro posted:

To keep my promise.

Okay let me explain the important part of an MMO.....

That being said, I'm actually excited for Crowfall because the developers seem to actually comprehend the challenges of scale and have answered the issue of a design level (the little sharded campaign poo poo which the name of escapes me right now) rather than making overblown impossible to fulfill "one big world" promises like every other Kickstarter mmo.

I understand the difference between a single player prototype and the necessary authoritative systems needed for a proper MMO but outside of Eternal Crusade, what notable crowdfunded MMO underestimated this? I guess Pathfinder Online (lol) would be a notable failure as well but that had red flags all over the place.

As for historical failures, we haven't had a sandbox MMO that didn't go overboard with "we're recreating the Pre-Trammel UO PVP, griefing welcome gently caress casuals" nonsense since 2003 (EVE/Galaxies) and EVE is one of the only games that have survived on a subscription business model. If Galaxies expanded on the sandbox design before the focus groups told them to make it more like World of Warcraft, I'm sure that'd be alive too. Hell, even UO is still running and that's managed by EA, the company that is notorious for shutting things down. Not only are the servers still running, they have a studio of 11-50 people creating content for it.

I'm sure millionaire investors will get involved with these games, but the important distinction is that they're not there from the start. If they were, they'd look up "most popular MMO" and tell the people receiving their money "make it like that". Instead, they're seeing the excitement and willingness to fund a project they're passionate about and getting in far too late to change things drastically. I still think Kickstarting MMOs is a good thing for the genre.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Crowfall asking the hard questions.

https://www.facebook.com/CrowfallGame/posts/1178688358811146

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Helvetica represent.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Uh, fixed width best width you loving heathen.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kill everyone who cares about fonts.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO FIXEDSYS

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I understand the difference between a single player prototype and the necessary authoritative systems needed for a proper MMO but outside of Eternal Crusade, what notable crowdfunded MMO underestimated this?

Every Kickstarter MMO that's still in "development" and has yet to release.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Finally broke down and threw money away; anyone still playing on the tests?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
http://crowfall.com/en/news/powers-prediction/

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

inb4 desync issues.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

I see they're using the age old tactic of bamboozling the backers with delirious ramblings.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
That's a lot of words and graphs to say "our netcode is poo poo, sorry."

Orv
May 4, 2011
Now put all the effort and time into finding an engine that isn't Unity to run your MMO on.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Orv posted:

Now put all the effort and time into finding an engine that isn't Unity to run your MMO on.

The engine used on the client side makes as much difference as bun used in a burger.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Um your choice of bun on a burger is a very important choice actually

Orv
May 4, 2011

SweetBro posted:

The engine used on the client side makes as much difference as bun used in a burger.

Then why is it all so garbage? :colbert:

(There are a bunch of reasons Crowfall is currently garbage.)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Orv posted:

(There are a bunch of reasons Crowfall is currently garbage.)

Well I mean it's an MMO so that covers 99% of it

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Orv posted:

MMO developed by an indie studio using Kickstarter for funding. :smugbert:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Um your choice of bun on a burger is a very important choice actually

The only thing that's bad about Unity is UNet and some optimization issues. When it comes to visual fidelity, a lot of projects would look a lot better if Unity's default shaders weren't trash. Hopefully Unity's new hires (people that worked on Frostbite/various Sony titles) sorts that out because he has promised that Unity will be the best looking/best performing engine by 2017.

I've met some extremely talented people working on various Unity games, and as always, the end product is only as good as the people working on it no matter what tools you're using.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I'm talking about burgers dude, don't neglect your choice of bun. Onion is my personnel favorite.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BadLlama posted:

I'm talking about burgers dude, don't neglect your choice of bun. Onion is my personnel favorite.

I like a sourdough bun on a homemade burg.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Are they not using photon for unity? Many unity games do, since unity was never built for or should be run near-stock as an MMO (this goes for any engine)

Pop that .net dll open and see for yourself!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Orv posted:

I like a sourdough bun on a homemade burg.

same but with a whole mess of onions on the burg

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

FireWhizzle posted:

Are they not using photon for unity? Many unity games do, since unity was never built for or should be run near-stock as an MMO (this goes for any engine)

Pop that .net dll open and see for yourself!

I can't see them working on Photon Cloud (unless you just mean Photon, which is still not great since there are better alternatives). That poo poo is expensive and it's per user and that'll drain them financially within a couple months.

It's using this.
http://www.atavismonline.com/
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19339

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 4, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

same but with a whole mess of onions on the burg

This is also good.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I can't see them working on Photon Cloud

You can use Photon on prem or deploy it on your won AWS clusters (though I don't know how cheaper that would be than Photon Cloud).

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Hi so there's this

http://crowfall.com/en/news/crowfall-live-broadcast-june-27/

boy i cant w8 to Kappa and KreyGasm and PogChamp ironically at a bunch of bideo game dediners

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Looks like they're targeting late summer for the first Campaign prototypes. I'll be interested to see if they can hit that as well as they've hit their previous schedules.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IU1cWEE_fE

http://crowfall.com/en/news/subsistence-and-the-chicken-ticker/

lmbo ok

discuss the ramfications

economic view points "its realistic and armies march on their stomachs."

ok go

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 26, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
While playing RvR/WvW/Cyrodil PVP, never has the thought crossed my mind "You know what would make this better? A hunger system ripped straight out of a survival game"

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ultima Online had a hunger system.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Considering one of the core ideas was "as a campaign world progresses it becomes more Winter-ish and harder to survive" I'm fine with this, since groups that don't squirrel away snacks will have a harder time later in.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

If you need to eat out of combat to regenerate life or whatever then I don't see it being a big deal.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Whats the typical ttk expected to be in this game. I guess if they build the game around it then it makes more sense, the ttk has to be short enough in pve where you wont notice significantly but high enough in pvp where it can function as a real constraint. It makes it a solid deterrent to not jump around like a retard at least.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Bunny hopping in any game looks and feels retarded so that's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

eSporks posted:

Ultima Online had a hunger system.

You could ignore it though. It wasn't much of a penalty.

It was also easily solvable because food was cheap, especially fish steaks.

... I miss playing to bake bread.