Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
When Yara and Theon fled it looked like only one or two ships actually set sail out of the huge fleet in the harbor. The rest seemed to be staying put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seriously though, it all seems a little pointless.

All this trouble to get Bran on that loving cave and for what? So he could mind time travel half a dozen times with treeman and make a dumb mistake that caused the whitewalkers to kill treeman and the last children of the forest, and Hodor himself.

All this trouble for GRRM to make a lovely joke about him wanting to be an elevator operator, really.

But honestly no, the point, unlike what some people itt are convinced of, is as with any time traveling story: hint at the possibility of changing the past. It shows that Three-Eyed-Crow knew this was possible and he knew that Bran could reach out to past hodor to break him, the point is always going to be "there's no fate but that which we make for ourselves". At the final showdown Bran will need to reach into the past and do-a-thing, you can bank on it.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

C-SPAN Caller posted:

What the gently caress are you expecting from a guy just introduced with maybe four minutes of screen time?

Dude is insane in an enjoyable way and threw Balon off a bridge then said so at the Kingsmoot.

More screen time maybe? They can give ol' Ramsay a scene just to have him kill the hot wildling that probably took as much time as we've seen Euron during the whole show, they could have taken more time to make him a bit more interesting.

They did a really good job with the warlocks back in Qarth, would have been pretty neat to reintroduce those aesthetics via Euron. Or at least give him an eye patch. Anything to differentiate him from the other generic ironborn.

Many of GOT's characters are memorable thanks in part to their unique looks, it's weird to me that the show has chosen to ignore a lot of those, despite being visual media. It's done a great job portraying the fantasy non-humans and characters like Quaithe, just disappointing to see Euron turned into generic ironborn dude who makes dick jokes and killed his bro (in a rather boring way compared to, say, Stannis).

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

Seriously though, it all seems a little pointless.

All this trouble to get Bran on that loving cave and for what? So he could mind time travel half a dozen times with treeman and make a dumb mistake that caused the whitewalkers to kill treeman and the last children of the forest, and Hodor himself.

It's almost as though there's more story to tell.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I don't think Hodor's dead, I think he's just going to keep holding that door forever, like Gendry will be rowing forever.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

It's almost as though there's more story to tell.

Yeah they gotta introduce time travel into the story somehow. Whether because it'll play some big role in future plot events, or just so they can do lazy exposition flashbacks via Bran to explain the ~mysteries~, dunno.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bran is gonna have the thickest plot armor of any character on this show now that he is the St. Elsewhere kid.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

When Yara and Theon fled it looked like only one or two ships actually set sail out of the huge fleet in the harbor. The rest seemed to be staying put.

I suppose that's what they were going for, but the way it was shot (like the entire show) was really, really bad. Half the dumb poo poo that happens on this show is because they have terrible directors and editors.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

If the season spoilers are correct, Blackfish gets overrun by Lannisters/Freys when the siege is lifted, so he won't be around to save Sansa, thus setting up the twist return of LF to save the day.

What was the point of Sansa lying to Jon about the intel on the Blackfish in yesterday's episode? So that Jon cannot be like "hey lets just get LF on our side for now to kill Ramsay, then we'll cut off his head later"?

If this is just so that LF can save the day in episode 9, I'll be pissed

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Hobo Clown posted:

I can't remember, but isn't the whole "drowned by priest" something that all of Pike's sailors or captains go through in the books? Like, they invented CPR and routinely brought them back that way, but having been dead for even a little bit made them more in tune with the Drowned God, because "What is dead may never die."

In the show Euron just comes back to life on his own, and it seems like everyone standing around was expecting him to. It was really weird.

In the books is used as a blessing, a person is drowned and the revived with basic cpr by the priests of the drowned god, Aeron is especially famous for it, since he hardly ever loses someone to drowning. There is also a lesser blessing in the books, where the person is just splashed with some seawater. Theon receives the lesser blessing in both the book and show.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

Atreiden posted:

In the books is used as a blessing, a person is drowned and the revived with basic cpr by the priests of the drowned god, Aeron is especially famous for it, since he hardly ever loses someone to drowning. There is also a lesser blessing in the books, where the person is just splashed with some seawater. Theon receives the lesser blessing in both the book and show.

Don't they mention the 'kiss of life' being preformed in the books to bring them back?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anonymous John posted:

What was the point of Sansa lying to Jon about the intel on the Blackfish in yesterday's episode? So that Jon cannot be like "hey lets just get LF on our side for now to kill Ramsay, then we'll cut off his head later"?

If this is just so that LF can save the day in episode 9, I'll be pissed

You know it is. And you know Littlefinger really is on Sansa's side since she's the closest thing to Cat left around. I'm assuming he will eventually be killed by the Others and maybe even given a heroe's death. Like maybe he holds the door for Sansa or something. Show only, obviously. I think in the books he's not as stupid and will probably take Winterfell and be overrun before he even has a chance to betray/screw up with Sansa.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Anonymous John posted:

Yes. Also it limits anyone like Tormund questioning the decision not to seek LF's support. LF no doubt would want her to tell them so he could worm his way into yet another "court." Of course it's still an effective way to force Sansa to split up her forces and attention. But basically Sansa knows that owing favors to LF is a quick way to get yourself killed.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

LegalPad posted:

Don't they mention the 'kiss of life' being preformed in the books to bring them back?

I always assumed that was the ceremonial name for basically doing mouth-to-mouth. I liked it better in the books because it's fairly routine, but still a badass rite of passage for these crazy sailor people. The show it seemed like "Winner of the Kingsmoot is drowned, and if he magically comes back to life by himself he gets to stay King."

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

But basically Sansa knows that owing favors to LF is a quick way to get yourself killed.

Does she? What, did she read the books or something?

Not trusting him is one thing, but it makes no sense that she'd just refuse his help when she's got no other support. Sweetrobin's her cousin anyway, she could just turn on LF later.

Elman fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 23, 2016

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!

LegalPad posted:

I remember the "kiss of life" being the phrase for how Beric Dondarrion revives Lady Stoneheart. I can't remember if they call Aeron's CPR stuff the kiss of life, but like Atreiden said, the ironborn do make an active attempt to resuscitate the person after the drowning rites, not just lay them down face up on the beach and stare at them like in the show, lol. But their attitude is that if the person can't come back from the drowning, they just weren't a hardcore enough ironborn.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Elman posted:

Does she? What, did she read the books or something?

Not trusting him is one thing, but it makes no sense that she'd just refuse his help when she's got no other support. Sweetrobin's her cousin anyway, she could just turn on LF later.

The last time she trusted him she ended up with Ramsay, she has very good reason to not trust him. Literally "you took me away from monsters who killed my family and gave me to monsters who killed my family"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sansa telling him she doesn't want his help is her not owing anything to him. Now the burden is on him to prove that he will make up for handing her over without asking for anything in return but forgiveness.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

Hobo Clown posted:

I always assumed that was the ceremonial name for basically doing mouth-to-mouth. I liked it better in the books because it's fairly routine, but still a badass rite of passage for these crazy sailor people. The show it seemed like "Winner of the Kingsmoot is drowned, and if he magically comes back to life by himself he gets to stay King."

Did people tune out? The priest was saying that the salt water needed to fill his lungs like the drowned god. If he wakes it's because he was chosen. If he dies he wasn't the one.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

xwing posted:

Did people tune out? The priest was saying that the salt water needed to fill his lungs like the drowned god. If he wakes it's because he was chosen. If he dies he wasn't the one.

The discussion is whether or not people wake with help from the priests in the books.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

C-SPAN Caller posted:

What the gently caress are you expecting from a guy just introduced with maybe four minutes of screen time?

Dude is insane in an enjoyable way and threw Balon off a bridge then said so at the Kingsmoot.

You can do a whole drat lot with four minutes of screentime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47MazYDnmaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvinF3eGQw

So far, Euron is a sassy thug like Ramsay, except he's blasé about his kinslaying and his master plan is to hitch his cart to Daenerys. I'm not saying he will definitely be terrible forever, but nothing so far has established him as a compelling or interesting character. He's the fourth dude to become the new king by underhandedly killing the old king this season, so if that was supposed to be his selling point I'm not really buying.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

So It Goes posted:

So I just watched the episode and I don't get the threads outrage at all, the episode seemed pretty strong overall. And I've by no means been much of a fan of this and last season. The Hodor and WW backstory seemed completely fine to me what is the big deal. Hodor's moment was legitimately touching who cares if hold door is too on the nose or whatever, I'm not even sure what else the problem is with it. Moreover, the WW backstory seems even more fine to me. I guess I never actually expected much for the motivations of the ice monsters that make zombies and indiscriminately kill people. Like people were saying they would've preferred if they were of their own agency and trying to bring "balance" to the world or whatever horseshit but I don't see how that is any better. When it comes down to it the WW are loving ice monsters, there is no backstory that doesn't make them the "bad guys" or an evil force to be defeated at the end. Like whether they are slaughtering humans and invading because of anger toward their creation or because they are independent monster race that slaughter and invade because of "bringing balance" they are still the equivalent of orcs no matter what the backstory is.

**theory time***
There were a bunch of Child of the Forests who were hooked up to Weirwood trees just like the guy teaching Bran. These were the 'old gods' that people worship (Maybe masters of ice magic? Their duty was to witness and preserve things). They create the white walkers as their personal army to help the rest of the Children during the war. War goes on, the white walkers help but all they do is slow the humans during the winter in the far north--during the summers and spring humans gently caress up the forest children every year, to the point where the war, despite the walkers, is a stale mate (Essentially the walkers only stop the final blow, they don't really let the Children win). This lasts a thousand years, until finally the men and children relent and make peace. (Remember, the men were steadily winning for a long time, even after the children went scorched earth and blew up a big chunk of land. Then something happened which made the men want peace--probably the stale mate from the white walkers.)

Except one of these old gods won't accept it, too many children have died, gently caress humans--it becomes the Great Other. There is a civil war of sorts among the Children, that's why they slowly disappear. But the children force the "Great Other" to retreat, not before him and the white walkers gently caress up the rest of the old gods (Robbing the children of ice magic). The great other realizes his weakness is the summers, and so collects his magic for thousands of years and slowly begins to push the seasons out of balance.

Children are powerless to stop this, or don't even understand it themselves as its more of a thing the 'gods' are doing (And most of the other old gods are dead from the civil war). Long night comes, white walkers return. Children join the first men to fight them because the rogue old god, the Great Other, has gone nuts. During this time though, the children have shared some (Fire) magic with the humans (The only type they still have)--humans develop children fire magic the same way they did technology by constantly improving it. They mix it with blood magic, and Azor Azhai is born. He beats back the walkers, and after, humans who were able to learn the magic the Children taught them raised the wall. But the fire magic couldn't make it all the way up north, and thus the Great Other retreated to collect his power again.

Then after the nights watch is formed, a female White Walker goes and fucks the lord Commander. It was meant as a way to subvert the nights watch to allow the great other a new shot, but it accidently produced children--children who survived the Commander being killed. Children who had the powers of ice magic (Warging/green seeing)...That's how you get Starks. A few of these Wargs/Seers are extremely powerful, and can hook themselves up to trees to become like the Old Gods. Bran is the most powerful. That's the key to finally defeated the Great Other, the humans/children now have access to ice magic again, the old gods magic (Melisandra says the guy on the tree is the face of the enemy--maybe she misinterpreted the vision, he is the face of ice magic, so the same magic the Great Other uses, but not the enemy)--ice and fire working together.

Soothing Vapors posted:

now that he is a time traveling wizardmans bran should do the righteous and go back in time to kill himself in utero

You mean by giving himself a Braneurism?

Teron D Amun fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 23, 2016

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oberyn had the greatest series of introductions a character could have had. The actor, Pedro, just stole scenes

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

xwing posted:

I was commenting that I liked the book version where everyone has to be drowned and then brought back to life via CPR, versus the show version of only the king is drowned and then observed to see if he comes back on his own.

I imagine a bunch of annoyed Ironborn having to keep redoing the Kingsmoot dozens of times after every guy they elect ends up laying there dead on the beach.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Linguica posted:

lol the behind the scenes featurette has D&D confirming that the night king is "absolute evil" so I expect a whole lot of bitching and moaning coming soon

e: hahaah D&D SAYS HODOR IS CANON

HODOR IS GRRM CANON AAAAAAHAHAHA

Goddamn dude you're bad at parsing words or something, the whole thrust of the behind the scenes discussion was that they AREN'T the absolute evil we would have assumed. I'm not sure how you could have missed that. I think the guy even says "not absolute evil" lol.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Bran the Build was the first Stark, and he built the Wall, so the Starks pre-date the Night's Watch and the LC who went over to the other side.

Also the guy might have been a Stark, but it was the Starks of Winterfell and King-Beyond-the-Wall who had to team up to take him down, so they were already established as rules of the North.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

So despite spoilers for the season leaking, we still don't know what happens with the High Sparrow/Queen Margaery?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Oliver Reed posted:

So despite spoilers for the season leaking, we still don't know what happens with the High Sparrow/Queen Margaery?

Based on the preview, it seems like they'll rescue her and that'll probably lead to a civil war of sorts. But no, nothing concrete about the fate of the High Sparrow afaik.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oliver Reed posted:

That season leak was right in what it mentioned, but didint covered everything (Dany was also absent)

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

LegalPad posted:

Yes that's what they call the CPR And Aeron have never lost anyone to it. Which apparently happens fairly often.

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Lycus posted:

The Walking Dead is one of the most ripped on shows on TVIV, but goddamn does it killer ratings. I'm sure we all know people that are huge fans.

The walking dead is a soap opera. Do you like soap opera's?

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

It's likely we'll never get the subtlety and character development of some of the older seasons. The scene where Robert and Cersei talk about their failed marriage, and Robert pushes away Cersei's olive branch come to mind as great examples of what the show used to be.

That said, I'm really enjoying this season. It's been incredibly entertaining so far and I haven't found myself bored to death like I was with some stretches of season 5.

There are some things that I wish had a bit more development, such as the Walkers being created by the Children, but that doesn't mean we won't get more of that story as the series goes on.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Did Arya know Tyrion wed Sansa?

CytotoxicTrev
Oct 30, 2010

So you see, without my help, they're toast!

clown shoes posted:

Did Arya know Tyrion wed Sansa?

I think not, it seems like she learned about it from watching that comedy play.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Kingsmoot made me laugh and I'm not sure why.

raej
Sep 25, 2003

"Being drunk is the worst feeling of all. Except for all those other feelings."
How is Bran even warging poo poo while being carted around? Like, forget the whole "Why are they do-dawdling in Winterfell when there is imminent danger"; to warg to the past, it's shown you need to be touching a tree to connect to weirnet. So, when Bran is carted away, he should not be warging? I thought, maybe he's warging into Three Eyed Raven, but then he sees him die. And then Bran is warging into the past, then can also simultaneously warg into Hodor somehow.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

CytotoxicTrev posted:

I think not, it seems like she learned about it from watching that comedy play.

I can't recall her ever learning about it on the show (unless the Hound or Brienne told her?). It did sort of seem like she was learning it for the first time during the play.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

What did the red priest mean when she told Tyrion something like "but you already knew all this from your journey over the long bridge of Volantis?"

For the life of me I can't remember what that is referencing?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Someone told me Bran was warged into Hodor and then Hodor was walking on the tree roots down the cave way and Bran was also dual warging in the past via this. Sword of the Morning dual wielding was a foreshadowing to this, also Bran is Ser Arthur Dayne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

D-Pad posted:

What did the red priest mean when she told Tyrion something like "but you already knew all this from your journey over the long bridge of Volantis?"

For the life of me I can't remember what that is referencing?

When Tyrion was there, he observed a Red Priest talking. Either she was the priest in question (I can't remember) or she's doing her creepy mind reading trick.

• Locked thread