Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Adix posted:

shaggar was white

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Grandmaster.flv posted:

I see old Chinese men pushing the same amount of cans on regular rear end mountain bikes all the time it they can do it so can a fat out of shape computer toucher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOYZGJWh8tc

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

at the date posted:

Biking in New England owns because everything is so close together, and you don't have to go very far to be in some nice countryside. Hell, the whole eastern seaboard down to North Carolina is heaven compared to Texas, which is where I did most of my rides for years.

catch is there are no parallel quiet side roads that'll get you anywhere

thoroughfare full off massholes is all u got

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Shaggar posted:

according to the talk page its cause at some points its above ground so that makes it light rail instead of "rapid transit". tl;dr: wikipedians are retarded

by that measure, bay area rapid transit is not rapid transit

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

Grandmaster.flv posted:

that's everywhere with cars. somebody on the pos posted a video of a guy on a bike getting owned by a guy on a motorcycle in some canyon in the middle of nowhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Adix posted:

shaggar was white

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Grandmaster.flv posted:

triple post: the other part of my thesis is about low income work and how cycling and public transit is the backbone of that class and how better cycle infrastructure lets browns and darks get to their lovely underpaying job more efficiently

it's basically about class warfare through biking

bicycles are the worst and most unreliable form of transportation which makes them for white people only.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
low income people either need cars or good public transport like subway/elevated rail.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shaggar posted:

bicycles are the worst and most unreliable form of transportation which makes them for white people only.

i was late to work way less when i cycled than i am now taking a bus and tube,

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
buses and bicycles are down at the bottom in the poo poo teir transport methods.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

pointsofdata posted:

i was late to work way less when i cycled than i am now taking a bus and tube,

unions getting in the way of ur commute?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Triglav posted:

unions getting in the way of ur commute?

sometimes, mostly people killing themselves recently though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i think it was last week that there were two mornings with a "person on track" incident and another day when some dude was sitting on the side of the bridge so they closed it all until he was talked down. almost made me late for an interview!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shaggar posted:

low income people either need cars or good public transport like subway/elevated rail.

yeah but how can you afford a car at $8/hr or for that matter the bus? also why increase single occupant car traffic? that's a problem everywhere.

not even because I like bikes but it's not remotely feasible to own a car at 20k a year. I get that you don't like bikes but don't be a classist moron. if a bike part breaks you can fix almost any part for <$40. you buy a lovely $2000 car you have to spend 5k in repairs minimum, not to mention gas. in Boston a monthly pass is $80 so almost 1k/yr out of that 20k. this is a place with functioning public transit, which there's like <10 cities in America that have anything approaching mediocre let alone good.

or you pay $150 for a bike once and maybe you pay $80/yr in maintenance, most of which is fairly easy to do at home.

don't be loving dense

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Grandmaster.flv posted:

don't be loving dense

you're talking to shagger

he lives in the whitest and oldest state

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

i teach free repair classes, provide a full shop of tools and have a "earn a bike" program for exactly these people precisely because a lovely beater bike is a hell of a lot more reliable than any car they could afford

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

mishaq posted:

you're talking to shagger

he lives in the whitest and oldest state

yeah I just let myself get shaggar'ed didn't I

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Grandmaster.flv posted:

yeah but how can you afford a car at $8/hr or for that matter the bus? also why increase single occupant car traffic? that's a problem everywhere.

not even because I like bikes but it's not remotely feasible to own a car at 20k a year. I get that you don't like bikes but don't be a classist moron. if a bike part breaks you can fix almost any part for <$40. you buy a lovely $2000 car you have to spend 5k in repairs minimum, not to mention gas. in Boston a monthly pass is $80 so almost 1k/yr out of that 20k. this is a place with functioning public transit, which there's like <10 cities in America that have anything approaching mediocre let alone good.

or you pay $150 for a bike once and maybe you pay $80/yr in maintenance, most of which is fairly easy to do at home.

don't be loving dense

any city where bicycles are viable should have superior public transport (subway)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

every time something on my bicycle breaks i just look up how to fix it on youtube. works great

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
i have a bike

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

bikes are cool and good

shaggar is annoying and bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i just walk or take transit.

i don't mind dying, but i'll be hosed if i'm going to do it wrapped around a bike frame under some rear end in a top hat's land rover

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

buses and bicycles are down at the bottom in the poo poo teir transport methods.

haha

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shaggar posted:

any city where bicycles are viable should have superior public transport (subway)

key word is "should"

and you didn't address my point that even if the subway exists, how can somebody making minimum wage afford it?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if they cant afford the subway on a commuter plan how are they gonna afford housing? subsidizing their subway plan or paying them more both make more sense than loving up everyones transport to put it worthless bike poo poo that still wont serve them well enough.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

look at a map of section 8 housing overlaid with subway lines and realize how useless the subway is to the occupants

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Shaggar posted:

if they cant afford the subway on a commuter plan how are they gonna afford housing? subsidizing their subway plan or paying them more both make more sense than loving up everyones transport to put it worthless bike poo poo that still wont serve them well enough.

ahahahaha you think rich people don't buy up all the most convenient locations in a real city because maine is a loving wasteland

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Shaggar posted:

ahahaha you think they'll pay people more?

if you really believe that call up your congress and state congress people and tell them that. otherwise stop living in a dream world.

you clearly don't understand what it means to be poor. it takes years to get section 8 housing, then food stamps covers maybe 2.5 weeks of food at best. you have a kid? good luck affording childcare if they're not school age. good luck seeing them if they're school age because you have to work 3 jobs to make sure you can cover rent and all the other expenses.

if you think poor people are lazy you're a complete loving moron. idk what industry you're in but I can bet you you don't do half the "work" my theoretical single parent in this case is.

also lol if you're a single dad you get three times as hosed

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also show me any teansit system that subsidizes low income and not just olds/students

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

bikes rule

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Grandmaster.flv posted:

also show me any teansit system that subsidizes low income and not just olds/students

sf muni does this, fwiw

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I've been using a mountain bike in the winter with fat tires but I think I'm going to drop the money for one of those nightmare machines with the 4" wide tires for ultimate snow cycling. get that exercise

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

rjmccall posted:

sf muni does this, fwiw

do they? good for them! I didn't know that. now if we could get other systems to do it..

anyways shaggar you don't have to like bikes. that's fine that you don't but don't be willfully ignorant to serve a gimmick. everybody deserves the same shot at happiness and this handwringing bullshit "they should do X" accomplishes nothing. go volunteer somewhere that trains teens for jobs or something or shut the gently caress up

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

be the change you wish to see

namaste

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Grandmaster.flv posted:

do they? good for them! I didn't know that. now if we could get other systems to do it..

the idea has been floated here in toronto, since our system is ridiculously expensive ($141.50/month for a metropass).

it's problematic though because the ttc is loving awful addressing any special needs, if it's means tested it will be both so inaccessible as to be useless to the people who really need it* and the proof-of-means process will likely completely dehumanizing. If it's not means tested it will be strangled in the crib by idiot suburban councilors terrified that someone somewhere might be getting a free ride.

*For example, there is exactly one place to get the necessary secondary ID required to use a student or post-secondary discounted fare card most of the year. It is nowhere near any relevant institution. There is a nearly 100% chance the same location would be used for whatever "poor ID" they'd require for the low income metropass, and it's not easy to get to from the outer suburbs where the majority of low income transit users live.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the proper solution would be to simply subsidize fares for everyone and stop dicking about with one-off bandaids for every special needs group, but that will never happen because the city has no money for transit and the province and feds only believe in giving one-off special dispensations for capital projects rather than actually funding the system itself

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

seattle has low income fares, and los angeles has subsidized monthly passes, as well as free fare programs. phoenix and portland have free or discount fares they give out to low income serving non-profits.

basically lots of best coast cities do something, but a lot dont do enough

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

afaik the shelters here will give out a very limited number of tokens too, which is good, but really narrow in scope

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Cygni posted:

seattle has low income fares, and los angeles has subsidized monthly passes, as well as free fare programs. phoenix and portland have free or discount fares they give out to low income serving non-profits.

basically lots of best coast cities do something, but a lot dont do enough

yeah the non profits I knew about I was more thinking of direct transit authority compensation.

thanks y'all I got some reading to do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Grandmaster.flv posted:

ahahaha you think they'll pay people more?

if you really believe that call up your congress and state congress people and tell them that. otherwise stop living in a dream world.

you clearly don't understand what it means to be poor. it takes years to get section 8 housing, then food stamps covers maybe 2.5 weeks of food at best. you have a kid? good luck affording childcare if they're not school age. good luck seeing them if they're school age because you have to work 3 jobs to make sure you can cover rent and all the other expenses.

if you think poor people are lazy you're a complete loving moron. idk what industry you're in but I can bet you you don't do half the "work" my theoretical single parent in this case is.

also lol if you're a single dad you get three times as hosed

what I'm saying is that if they can afford to live within realistic bicycle distance from their work they probably can afford other transportation. I'm saying theres not much overlap between poor and could possibly bike to work. then when you add in the unreliability of bike transport the overlap is eliminated.

• Locked thread