Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Wild T posted:

You could score a perfect ASVAB test, you're still a retard for joining the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Medical is the idiots. They knew I was deploying for 2 months and knew they had to file a package for a recent diagnosis that was done before I knew I was deploying.

They waited till the week of to file the package. And then tried to blame me. Way to gently caress me guys.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I'm going to go against the grain and say the kid should be fine going MP or whatever. There are tons of bright (and stupid) people in the rates that require high ASVAB scores, and thats a ton of competition especially when the advancement rate is low. I never would have cut it as a Marine myself on account of I was/am a lazy fat rear end but I often thought after meeting Marines that even if I had done the same job I did in the Navy for the Marines I'd of been some sort of super genius in comparison and got promoted by merely not being a huge gently caress-up.

Tell him don't get brainwashed, get in and enjoy the view as a guy passing through, and get out and use the GI bill to do something.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

No, because not only will you be surrounded by idiots, your chain of command are idiots. They're the type of idiot that loved being surrounded by fellow morons they kept signing up for more of it, so they could pass down their hallowed traditions of treating junior Marines like crap and rigid adherence to regulations that do not now nor have ever actually existed.

It's a big enough issue in the "smarter" communities, I can't imagine how awful it would be for the dumb MOS communities.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Internet Wizard posted:

No, because not only will you be surrounded by idiots, your chain of command are idiots. They're the type of idiot that loved being surrounded by fellow morons they kept signing up for more of it, so they could pass down their hallowed traditions of treating junior Marines like crap and rigid adherence to regulations that do not now nor have ever actually existed.

It's a big enough issue in the "smarter" communities, I can't imagine how awful it would be for the dumb MOS communities.

I agree, joining the military in general is a poor life decision.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Internet Wizard posted:

This. Not even "military lol" but the lowest intelligence sometimes. I had an MP tell me I didn't know what marijuana smelled like because I hadn't walked by a barrel of it burning like he did.

Go signal, public affairs or tech. Don't for the love of God go MP. Not only stupidity but deployments abound

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Internet Wizard posted:

Thump! posted:

I agree, joining the military in general is a poor life decision.

yeah show me a command that isn't this way.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Some parts of the sigint and intel communities are pretty legit.

I was getting hassled by some dude at the gym (who turned out to be some comm SSgt) because I had my back pocket flaps tucked in instead of buttoned. The dude kept misquoting the order to support his argument, and got all butthurt that I didn't somehow telepathically know he was a staff NCO and go to parade rest as soon as he started talking to me. He also kept trying to isolate me from the Sgts I was working out with, waiting for me to walk away to get a drink before confronting me again and crap like that. After the second or third time he cited an order that didn't exist (again, while we were at the gym during our lunch break), my SSgt arrived at the gym and we let him know what was up, and he took the comm guy outside and told him off.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Internet Wizard posted:

I was getting hassled by some dude at the gym (who turned out to be some comm SSgt) because I had my back pocket flaps tucked in instead of buttoned.

this right here is a shining example of why I decided not to join the military

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Internet Wizard posted:

I was getting hassled by some dude at the gym (who turned out to be some comm SSgt) because I had my back pocket flaps tucked in instead of buttoned. The dude kept misquoting the order to support his argument, and got all butthurt that I didn't somehow telepathically know he was a staff NCO and go to parade rest as soon as he started talking to me. He also kept trying to isolate me from the Sgts I was working out with, waiting for me to walk away to get a drink before confronting me again and crap like that. After the second or third time he cited an order that didn't exist (again, while we were at the gym during our lunch break), my SSgt arrived at the gym and we let him know what was up, and he took the comm guy outside and told him off.

Getting harassed about tucked back pocket flaps where I kept my wallet and sometimes wearing my fleece inside when it was cold made up a good 80% of my interaction with random NCOs I didn't know already

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The military is gay because its full of people who think it should be that way to maintain a tradition of excellence

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Tradition of excrement

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

Getting harassed about tucked back pocket flaps where I kept my wallet and sometimes wearing my fleece inside when it was cold made up a good 80% of my interaction with random NCOs I didn't know already

I got yelled at a few times for wearing my fleece in the field on my NTC rotation. It was January. gently caress man, it's cold.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Meanwhie, in Georgia at the end of May, I see people walking around with their fleece on. Boggles my mind how they aren't suffering from a heat stroke immediately.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm beginning to think the Marines are awful.

I've only had a voice raised at me once since leaving boot and that was to yell at me for being in uniform at my NOSC on a non drill day followed yelling praise for me when I showed the email telling to me to come take some mandatory test.

Thanks MasterChief... I think.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Yeah man like the USAF and USN might be relatively chill, and from everyone I met in them seemed to reflect that. The army and marines....well, stories like that pocket flap thing are like EVERY DAY poo poo, just another rear end in a top hat mad about REGS.

Dont marines keep their wallet in the loving socks? Because its professional? Thats Idiots 101.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Soulex posted:

I got yelled at a few times for wearing my fleece in the field on my NTC rotation. It was January. gently caress man, it's cold.

So does all the cold weather gear the Lewis CIF issues just get left at home or something? I swear they gave me like 4 different jackets.

thought I might be able to go out to the field in winter and not freeze my balls off like I did the past 2 winters wearing nothing but ACU's and waffle top

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Yeah man like the USAF and USN might be relatively chill, and from everyone I met in them seemed to reflect that. The army and marines....well, stories like that pocket flap thing are like EVERY DAY poo poo, just another rear end in a top hat mad about REGS.

Dont marines keep their wallet in the loving socks? Because its professional? Thats Idiots 101.

Only in service and dress, but yeah, it's super goddam dumb. That said, I had a buddy who did this with a wallet chain attached to his shoe once and watched a Master Sgt flip poo poo on him in line at the Yuma food court

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
see I never thought I'd see the words "a wallet chain attached to his shoe"

SEMPER FI THE FEW TEH PROUD

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Mustang posted:

So does all the cold weather gear the Lewis CIF issues just get left at home or something? I swear they gave me like 4 different jackets.

thought I might be able to go out to the field in winter and not freeze my balls off like I did the past 2 winters wearing nothing but ACU's and waffle top

I think it was just the unit I was with. Plus you're an officer, you can just tell everyone to suck your dicks.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I mean gently caress the USMC had to shorten a 3 syllable word to one just so they could use it :(

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

see I never thought I'd see the words "a wallet chain attached to his shoe"

SEMPER FI THE FEW TEH PROUD

In his defense it was done in a form of dumb protest over the stupid loving rule, he never wore a wallet chain any other time since I had known him

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I mean, in all honestly its probably the best reason to use a loving wallet chain. I don't see wallets flying out of pockets too often, but I could see it flipping out of your sock on a brisk walk.

In highschool I bought a chintzy dog chain leash and used it as a wallet chain :kiddo:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

okay explain this to me why the gently caress was his wallet in his sock

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Because he has to look professional

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Smiling Jack posted:

okay explain this to me why the gently caress was his wallet in his sock

DEVIL DOG OORAH SEMPER FIDELIS MESSAGE TO GARCIA????????!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Someone just post the terminal lance.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Mustang posted:

Because he has to look professional

i'm a civilian belonging to a organization with the most lax grooming and uniform standards anywhere in the world, please explain this to me

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
military gay, so what?

quote:

"Marines' putting a wallet in their socks started because you're not supposed to have any unsightly bulges in your dress uniform," says one Marine officer who asked not to be identified. "It just looks bad. At the same time, your wallet can wear a hole in the back of your trousers."

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 23, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Smiling Jack posted:

i'm a civilian belonging to a organization with the most lax grooming and uniform standards anywhere in the world, please explain this to me

Because someone got the idea, maybe decades ago, that having a slight bulge in your pants (heh) from your wallet would take away from the CRISP LINES of your suit and now marines have to carry them in their wallet.

Because a grown man having a wallet in his pocket is less professional than having to fish your wallet out of your sock.

It's kind of hard to explain, except that the military is full on retarded.

Take everything you know about "professionalism" and maybe do the opposite and call it "professionalism" because of tradition or something? I still never figured it out and I did over a decade in the military.

tl;dr the military is a group of retarded, circle jerking chimpanzees that accept throwing poo poo and jerking off in public as "traditional standards of conduct" in a "profession of arms"

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Smiling Jack posted:

Objects in pockets create an unprofessional bulge that is visible and breaks up the crisp smart line of the uniform which is not in keeping with the finest traditions of blee blur blah dee woop.

Consequently, you keep your wallet and cigarettes tucked into the top of your sock.

e: beat. Do the Army/USAF do that too or is it just Navy & USMC?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

jesus christ

I'm glad I only dealt with guys who were far enough away from actual military supervision that they weren't doing any of this poo poo

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 23, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

military gay, so what?

Those bulges just draw the eyes towards the crotch, and then we kiss....

manchego
Feb 16, 2007

MEANWHILE,
Wallet chat served as my daily reminder to thank Christ I'm not in anymore.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The regs also say you shouldn't keep large or heavy items in the cargo pockets of your cammies while in garrison.

The same regs that had to explicitly forbid starching the combat uniform before it got carried over from the old cammies. Starching has the drawbacks of compromising the low infrared dyes of the pattern, and accelerating wear of the material, but at least your Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform will have crisp lines.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Can't be having our fine young marines being distracted by any bulges in another marines pants :pervert:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It should come as no surprise that one of the biggest issues identified in gender integration studies is the lack of professionalism at every level.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Internet Wizard posted:

It should come as no surprise that one of the biggest issues identified in gender integration studies is the lack of professionalism at every level.

"Its the bulges sir! On the women, they are in the wrong place!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hogmartin posted:

Objects in pockets create an unprofessional bulge that is visible and breaks up the crisp smart line of the uniform which is not in keeping with the finest traditions of blee blur blah dee woop.

Consequently, you keep your wallet and cigarettes tucked into the top of your sock.

e: beat. Do the Army/USAF do that too or is it just Navy & USMC?

Navy sure as hell doesn't do that.

Internet Wizard posted:

The regs also say you shouldn't keep large or heavy items in the cargo pockets of your cammies while in garrison.

The same regs that had to explicitly forbid starching the combat uniform before it got carried over from the old cammies. Starching has the drawbacks of compromising the low infrared dyes of the pattern, and accelerating wear of the material, but at least your Marine Corps Combat Utility Uniform will have crisp lines.

There was so much butthurt when they could no longer bring their combat boots to a glossy black polish.