Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So apparently LoT is debuting along side the other 3 shows in the fall. Monday thru Thursday at 8pm will be the DC shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gaz-L posted:

Josie and the Pussycats have been cast, so I assume they'll be the musical kids.

Well the comics had both. I just want to see the sexy broody mystery-hunting teens busting out Sugar Sugar.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guys, this new Preacher trailer does not make me optimistic. Looks cheap as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=568-C9MjDTs&t=12s

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I wasn't sure there was a comic book adaptation I cared less about than Preacher but then I heard that Kirkman's Outcast starts this week too and well there it is.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

If he's pretty good he left his talent in some other series along the way because he's awful on this show.

From what I've heard he's totally miscast. Arthur Darvill's a fantastic character actor/straight man, and that's what you cast him as - making him the lead for your program misunderstands his fundamental appeal, which is to reign in, keep in check, or act in opposition to the more dynamic mains.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming Suits' weird shooting schedule gives Patrick J Adams enough time to be on Legends season 2.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Toxxupation posted:

making him the lead for your program misunderstands his fundamental appeal, which is to reign in, keep in check, or act in opposition to the more dynamic mains.

In a lot of ways that's exactly what Rip did in the first season of LoT. There was a bunch of "how did you gently caress-ups break time now?"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

In a lot of ways that's exactly what Rip did in the first season of LoT. There was a bunch of "how did you gently caress-ups break time now?"

He could have been written to fit that role so much more perfectly. The team was pretty off the wall crazy with personality clashing potential, so him being the straight man trying to hold it all together seems obvious (and they did try sometimes.) But the character was hamstrung by piss poor melodrama and poorly thought out goals, which made him, in some ways, the actual crazy one*, with the team struggling to figure out wtf his problem was.

*Not fun crazy either. Just crazy as in, his motives seemed inconsistent, and his tactics seemed subpar and illogical.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

But the character was hamstrung by piss poor melodrama and poorly thought out goals, which made him, in some ways, the actual crazy one

Completely agree, the "I must save my family plot was terribly conceived. It would have worked better if Rip had already come to terms with the fact that he couldn't save his family, and was instead just out for revenge on Savage.

Or dropped the dead family entirely and he was trying to stop Savage because it was The Right Thing To Do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

howe_sam posted:

Completely agree, the "I must save my family plot was terribly conceived. It would have worked better if Rip had already come to terms with the fact that he couldn't save his family, and was instead just out for revenge on Savage.

Or dropped the dead family entirely and he was trying to stop Savage because it was The Right Thing To Do.

Reminder that Rip didn't give 2 shits about Savage until his family died.

also doomed humanity to extinction because he killed Savage so the Thanagarians will kill everyone.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Reminder that Rip didn't give 2 shits about Savage until his family died.

also doomed humanity to extinction because he killed Savage so the Thanagarians will kill everyone.

Except its pretty obvious that the group is going to lead humanity, and do it by not being a dictator.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The funny thing about LoT is that they hired their lead coming from a show about a pretty emotional time traveler with a tragic past who struggles with morality and interfering with the timeline, and then struggled to write him a character who is basically the same thing. I'm not saying they should have written him exactly as Doctor Who, but for crying out loud, the similarities are present enough that you had a rough template to work off of. And by template, I mean templates, because we have had 4 pretty different Doctors in recent history, you could have split the difference between them and added some Han Solo or Indiana Jones for flair and called it a day. Instead we have mopey, indecisive captain Hunter, who doesn't seem to know what he is doing in the most frustrating ways.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You can't just lay it at the feet of the writers, if the Doctor Who crew can coax a good performance out of the guy it's also a failure of the directors, probably the producers as well. Wrote him as a bore, directed him to be a bore, sent notes to up his boring when they saw the dailies.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

That Archie show seems like it'll be exactly as bonkers as I expect Archie comics to be these days.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

You can't just lay it at the feet of the writers, if the Doctor Who crew can coax a good performance out of the guy it's also a failure of the directors, probably the producers as well. Wrote him as a bore, directed him to be a bore, sent notes to up his boring when they saw the dailies.

An inconsistent or unusually bad performance can usually be laid at the feet of the director first. But unfortunately LoT had more problems than just acting. The writing of the characters was legitimately awful, especially Hunter. I think the two Prison Break guys figured out what's up with the Arrowverse and just went full hammy, which is why they are usually quite enjoyable. That said, their characters aren't usually written poorly anyway, so they always had that going for them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Preacher was bad. Like, exceptionally bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but how was the TV show?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

I heard it's not much like the comic, so maybe it's good. Critics seem to like it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

:golfclap:

Poor pacing, questionable casting choices, disjointed story-telling. It feels very cheaply made. Dominic Cooper is a fine actor but he doesn't have a very commanding presence in this.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Someone needs to tell the AoS writers that character deaths have more impact if you're actually given a reason to care about the character they're killing off.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I liked Lincoln. I think a lot of people disliked him simply because he was with Daisy, and Daisy is there for the viewer to gently caress, not some attractive white bread guy. I think that's one thing people didn't like about Ward until he turned as well.

He was an interesting character and a fuckup and had a good arc.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I actually like Daisy (most of the time) but I don't want to have sex with her.

I just felt like Lincoln was mostly defined by his relationship to her, and never really had the chance to be a fleshed out character in his own right. I dunno, maybe I should go back and re-watch Seasons 2 and 3 but I just don't feel like he had much of an arc outside of "I love Daisy". He was a bit headstrong and hosed up a few times, then sacrificed himself, but I don't feel like it's much of a redemption or anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was watching Extreme Rules, so I guess I'll have to watch it tonight or tomorrow.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

I liked Lincoln. I think a lot of people disliked him simply because he was with Daisy, and Daisy is there for the viewer to gently caress, not some attractive white bread guy. I think that's one thing people didn't like about Ward until he turned as well.

He was an interesting character and a fuckup and had a good arc.

Yeah I liked Lincoln as well.

His moment with Ward at the end was pretty awesome.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Nah, Lincoln was cool. He definitely started out uninteresting but got interesting just in time to die.

A Whedon trope.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Little Mac posted:

Nah, Lincoln was cool. He definitely started out uninteresting but got interesting just in time to die.

A Whedon trope.

I thought this was rhe American history thread and was gonna debate that

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We need a Godwin style emote for nerds saying Whedon.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I read a review of Serenity once that said it was by Josh Wheldon and the weakest actress in the film was Jewel Staite, his wife. I don't know if it was an intentional troll or not but the comments were hilarious.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

greatn posted:

I read a review of Serenity once that said it was by Josh Wheldon and the weakest actress in the film was Jewel Staite, his wife. I don't know if it was an intentional troll or not but the comments were hilarious.

I don't get it. I haven't seen Firefly, but I know she isn't Whedon's wife.

Is it just nerds being pedantic and upset about a factual error in a review? Or does the character have a "mah waifu" aspect among crazy fans?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't get it. I haven't seen Firefly, but I know she isn't Whedon's wife.

Is it just nerds being pedantic and upset about a factual error in a review? Or does the character have a "mah waifu" aspect among crazy fans?

They got his name wrong too, "Josh Wheldon". That and the wife thing make it seem like they were just trolling his fans.

Aphrodite posted:

We need a Godwin style emote for nerds saying Whedon.

Would it count as a "Godwin" when we are talking about something a Whedon is actually doing? That seems like calling a Godwin when the discussion is about 1930's Germany: "Oh jeez someone brought up Hitler even quicker than usual! :rolleyes:"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nobody's ever talking about Jed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol yeah that's actually fair

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Preacher was very disjointed, with really the only unifying thing between each scene being the same characters kept appearing. Cassidy's fight on the airplane was pretty cool though, though there was no explanation about why he was on a plane with a bunch of guys who had swords and spears but wearing business suits. Maybe they are supposed to be Grail agents or something?

If there's one major problem is it looks like the road trip aspect of the comic has been removed, so we've got a season of Jesse being around lovely rednecks being sweaty in a dusty town. :jerkoff:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody's ever talking about Jed.

I was talking about Jed. He tries to ape his brother a lot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Little Mac posted:

I was talking about Jed. He tries to ape his brother a lot.

He is not the first person who makes a character sympathetic before killing them or write them out.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also you were supposed to already like Lincoln.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm surprised anybody liked Lincoln, especially in this season.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

twistedmentat posted:

... looks like the road trip aspect of the comic has been removed, so we've got a season of Jesse being around lovely rednecks being sweaty in a dusty town. :jerkoff:

It's the smart move though, they've got six episodes to lure in middle America before they drop the "God's a dick and I'm gonna make him answer for it" bomb (you know, the reason we all thought it would never get adapted?)

I loved the pilot, I don't understand what everyone's problem is.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I didn't completely hate Lincoln, but I didn't like him either. I was happy it was him who died ultimately, because I cared the least about it. Losing Ward was a much bigger loss for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It's the smart move though, they've got six episodes to lure in middle America before they drop the "God's a dick and I'm gonna make him answer for it" bomb (you know, the reason we all thought it would never get adapted?)

I loved the pilot, I don't understand what everyone's problem is.

It's just that sweaty rednecks seem to be the go to characters and locations for prestige tv in recent years.