Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

The vehicle damage you did was to the car waiting at the intersection you drifted through when you got the call for a 288 at the high school. You barely tapped them but I guess re-chroming bumpers was expensive in 1947. The interview with the child here was also hilariously awkward, especially the 3 seconds of crying after Cole just blurts out that her mother is dead. His continued lack of tact continues on when he goes into detail telling the husband how his wife was murdered the second he walks through the door (not that it seems to phase him either).

As for the case having a lot of loose ends, that can probably be pinned on poor writing, where the case writer was just trying to get to a conclusion and was hoping the player would be drawn in enough to just make the same assumptions everyone else was. It could also be attributed to everyone running around trying to get the case closed as quickly as possible so 'close enough is good enough' to the police at the time. But yes, not investigating either perp's work place or searching the husband's car do seem like huge oversights in retrospect. This game obviously takes place decades before DNA profiling came about but I'm not sure what other forensic tests they'd have to determine the source of some blood. Blood typing would've been a relatively new discovery as well and it was still being worked on into the 40's IIRC.

edit: :sicknasty:

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

JT Jag posted:

I'm sorry, but Phelps sternly saying "you're off the hook, for now" to a grieving child made me burst out laughing for like a solid minute

Yuuup.

Also thank you, Bobbin, for saving my utterly boring day yet again with a game I no longer have the patience to play. I find this let's play very entertaining though, and you're just the right man to do it. Just so you know it's deeply appreciated.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Thank goodness the High School cut scene intervened before Phelps smashed his car sideways into that ice cream vendor and his customers.

This game is fantastic. This LP is too!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

"Hey, detective! I like to gently caress children! Whatcha going to do about it?"

Eli must be the dumbest paedophile in LA.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Two strange men knock at your door, tell you to sit down, then run off to rummage through your things. You seem to be okay with it.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Notes for this case:

- 288 apparently refers to "lewd acts on a minor under 14" or "acts of lewd and lascivious conduct."

- On all the desks except patrol, the "official" car has the callsign 11 King. Why use the same one for several unrelated cars?

- Aside from the loose ends already mentioned in the video, there doesn't seem to be a plausible way the killer could get inside information on the victim. Unlike Celine Henry, there was no mention of her hanging around in bars.

- Given that we previously saw bloodstains be determined to come from a pig, it should be possible to determine whether the ones on the shoes came from a rabbit. Not to mention that we could ask his co-worker whether they actually butchered rabbits or check the shoes for sand matching the crime scene.

- Whether the coveralls belonged to Moller or Rooney, there doesn't seem to be a plausible way for the killer to get his hands on them.

- Was rope access somehow restricted in 1940s California? Otherwise it makes little sense to point out that the suspects have access to them through their place of work. You'd assume that anyone can purchase it at hardware or boat supply shops.

- To insinuate that Rooney killed her for monetary gain raises the question of why he would have left the cash in her purse, not to mention undressing her and moving the body.

- "What would we do if another country denied us the gas to run our cars?" Shouldn't that be "What would we do if another country denied us the gas to build an empire?" instead?

- The girl's dress seemed oddly childish, but appears to be period- and age-appropriate "peasant dress" fashion:

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 23, 2016

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That little hesitation before Greg Grunberg goes "...why would I lie about a thing like that?" is one of my favorite bits of acting from the game. It's just so unusually natural for videogame dialogue.

When I first played this case, I made Hugo as the murderer. It felt like the characters were pushing Rooney too hard, plus much as Rooney's scum, I felt like Phelps wouldn't send Moller back home to his daughter.

But goddamn, it was frustrating that I couldn't call up both men's place of work to hear how their overalls were monogrammed. That would basically decide the case.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
About the movie review: "Henrik" is not pronounced like "Heinrich". Listen here.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

davidspackage posted:

That little hesitation before Greg Grunberg goes "...why would I lie about a thing like that?" is one of my favorite bits of acting from the game. It's just so unusually natural for videogame dialogue..
I like his entire performance in this game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Kopijeger posted:

- Was rope access somehow restricted in 1940s California? Otherwise it makes little sense to point out that the suspects have access to them through their place of work. You'd assume that anyone can purchase at hardware or boat supply shops.

It's less about restricted access and more about convenience. If someone can get a length of a certain type of rope from their job, they're more likely to use that type than any other kind. It's not the sort of clue that stands up in court, but it can indicate where the detective should look next.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kopijeger posted:

About the movie review: "Henrik" is not pronounced like "Heinrich". Listen here.

Yeah, I have to put my foot down here as well, since that's actually my real name :v:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Inferior posted:

"Hey, detective! I like to gently caress children! Whatcha going to do about it?"

But he's a really good bit character, though- someone told him, be the creepiest creep he could be, and drat if that actor didn't oblige; he practically oozes slime. One of the reasons I love this desk is that it's pretty full of bit characters that leave an impression and flesh out the world in not a lot of time: the grieving husbands in both cases, and this awful dude.

The first time I went through this case I fingered Moller for pretty much the same reasons as Davidspackage; it just seemed more appropriate and felt better that a husband with marital problems and a history of violence would kill his wife than some creepy stranger (who probably should be in jail anyway for separate reasons). Thing is, even the game considers Moller to be the right person too, according to some incidental dialogue further along the game, and I never found out why until later. See, if you somehow flub up both interviews, or don't otherwise find enough evidence to finger Rooney (which can easily happen if you don't visit the school before visiting Carruthers), Moller actually tries to flee the station, prompting another foot chase; after Phelps catches him, the game railroads you into charging him, which finishes the case with 2 stars. So the captain's glee notwithstanding, Moller could be seen as the "canon" option for this case.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
This was actually the last case I played. I think this case really aggravated me because it seemed obvious that the "right thing" to do in this case would be to hold the suspects for a while and wait for the blood test on the shoe to come in, while calling over to both Muller's job and the boat house to see whose coveralls match the right description.

But no, instead you have to sit there and make a choice, and if you don't choose the pederast you get put on the Lieutenant's poo poo list to boot. I guess I just got frustrated and put the game down in favor of whatever else I was playing at the time.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Having not played the game but gathering from the thread that Cole's eventually going to spiral downward, maybe this case and that final charging choice is the game taking the player down with him? Don't worry about charging the right guy or getting all the right evidence - just go with the one that gets you in best with the power players. That's where the real rewards are.

Maybe not. Either way, yeah too many loose ends and similarities between the two suspects that don't add up to make a call that soon.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
I didn't know who Hugo Moller's actor was but I really liked his performance in this, this guy was one of my favourite witnesses to interview just for how crazy-good his natural dialogue was. Also it's funny for me to hear a street in the US being called "Bonnie Brae", I don't think anyone in LA even knows what a brae is.

JT Jag posted:

I'm sorry, but Phelps sternly saying "you're off the hook, for now" to a grieving child made me burst out laughing for like a solid minute
Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaah that was pretty perfect, I'm really glad that line of all lines came up.

Inferior posted:

Yeah I mean he's not rich enough to get away with that for starters :rolleyes: I mean you gotta be in like some kinda club or at least work in movies right?!

This is a case that definitely rubs me up the wrong way aaaaand not gonna lie, I actually arrested the father instead of the pedo simply because I thought the evidence mounted better against him. That and as disgusting the logic is, she would have been "too old" for his tastes and that pretty much ruled him out for me as a suspect.
This case is both good and awful about how its procedure is done in that it's no longer about the truth but more about social appearance. When you genuinely do not know who to arrest but the media are tearing down breathing on your ear, you have to offer up a sacrifice to their altar of sleaze and news in order to soothe the people.

It's a disturbing sense of realism that I absolutely despise about this case, but I also understand why it happens even if I disagree with it. I know this is a videogame and all, but don't normally cases take like a couple days, we could have had those two stewing away in-oh wait you can only hold people at the station for so long without a conviction right?

Do you have a favourite play at all Bobbin? I dunno if you like the theatre or not, but I only ever been to see one play in my life, which was Death of a Salesman. I've never seen Streetcar, hell I had no idea what it was about other than being that one movie The Simpsons touted as the example of "good girls love bad boys". I had no idea about that "kindness of strangers" line in what the context was and that was...especially cruel but drat I see why that line is so famous for it. Thanks for that enlightening Bobbin!

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 23, 2016

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
A teenager referring to her parents as "mummy and daddy" as opposed to "Mum and dad" didn't strike me as odd. I don't know about most languages but in Swedish it is "mamma and pappa", no changes when you get older. It is quite interesting.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
A teenager referring to her parents as "mummy and daddy" as opposed to "Mum and dad" didn't strike me as odd. I don't know about most languages but in Swedish it is "mamma and pappa", no changes when you get older. It is quite interesting.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Thesaya posted:

Probably a lot more normal in the fourties and fifties, at least from what I've seen of movies and such depicting family life in that era. Not like any of us grew up back then. I call my father "old bastard", doesn't seem like that poo poo would fly with detective Phelps.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man some serious stranger danger in this episode. She just lets these two weird old men in her house.
e: also Rusty's comment here is a big one for 'Rusty might be gay'

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 23, 2016

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Big stretch on its own. A homicide detective would probably have seen many naked corpses in the morgue.

Come to think of it, it could have been interesting if Phelps was closeted at the beginning of the game and had his extramarital affair with another man. As mentioned earlier, homosexuality was still illegal at this point in time. At least, it would have added an extra dimension to his relationship with his partners and Jack Kelso.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Kopijeger posted:

Big stretch on its own. A homicide detective would probably have seen many naked corpses in the morgue.

Come to think of it, it could have been interesting if Phelps was closeted at the beginning of the game and had his extramarital affair with another man. As mentioned earlier, homosexuality was still illegal at this point in time. At least, it would have added an extra dimension to his relationship with his partners and Jack Kelso.

Hahaha I could only imagine the press this game would have gotten if thousands of people found out the twist at the end was that they were playing as a gay man.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
drat, I really wish they'd done that now.

Did anything serious ever happen with the pseudo-sequel to this game, Whore of the Orient, or did that never get out of the planning stages?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
"Your wife was found murdered this morning."
"Found?"
That's one of the most suspicious things he could have said. Right after, "But what made you look there? That place is totally abandoned, I checked."

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 23, 2016

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm looking forward to your 12 Angry Men review!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Casualty posted:

This was actually the last case I played. I think this case really aggravated me because it seemed obvious that the "right thing" to do in this case would be to hold the suspects for a while and wait for the blood test on the shoe to come in, while calling over to both Muller's job and the boat house to see whose coveralls match the right description.

But no, instead you have to sit there and make a choice, and if you don't choose the pederast you get put on the Lieutenant's poo poo list to boot. I guess I just got frustrated and put the game down in favor of whatever else I was playing at the time.

I believe part of the idea is that you aren't looking for justice here, you're looking to lock up the first likely suspect in order to get the press off the department's back. According to a later comment, the police do go back and pick up Hugo for the murder, probably after checking up on additional leads, but like Galloway says, charging the pedophile first is the "right decision" because it takes him off the streets for a little while longer.

FinalGamer posted:

Do you have a favourite play at all Bobbin? I dunno if you like the theatre or not, but I only ever been to see one play in my life, which was Death of a Salesman. I've never seen Streetcar, hell I had no idea what it was about other than being that one movie The Simpsons touted as the example of "good girls love bad boys". I had no idea about that "kindness of strangers" line in what the context was and that was...especially cruel but drat I see why that line is so famous for it. Thanks for that enlightening Bobbin!

I'll always have a soft spot for A Midsummer Night's Dream, since that's the first play I was ever cast in.

Thesaya posted:

In my experience, "Mommy" and "Daddy" are replaced by "Mom" and "Dad" somewhere around 4-6 years old. I can't speak for other times or places, but that's how it was with me and the people I know, so it struck me as unusual. And I might be mistaken about this, but I kind of figured kids back then would be more formal rather than less, especially with the police.

Kopijeger posted:

That would make so much sense it's crazy. Especially considering how much Cole's family fades into the background and the way Cole's affair manages to get him in so much hot water.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Be on the lookout for noted video game celebrity and Giant Bomb member Dan Ryckert, who is one of the reporters in this case.
This guy, I think? It's a bit more obvious in motion.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I know the movie Bobbin's doing next week! And I enjoyed the remake as well.

As for the case itself, it really does feel like - as others put it - "Close enough is Good Enough", and I think the Captain recognizes that. By putting pressure on the DA, he's trying to ensure that Eli is put in the slammer before people can take a real good look at the case.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
If movies are anything to go by, girls call their dads "Daddy" and their moms "Mother".

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Kopijeger posted:

That actually works so much better than anything else in this game, I wonder if that was even a consideration along the line.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Casualty posted:

Hahaha I could only imagine the press this game would have gotten if thousands of people found out the twist at the end was that they were playing as a gay man.

Good.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Revenant Threshold posted:

This guy, I think? It's a bit more obvious in motion.

Yeah, that's him. He's surprisingly easy to spot if you're looking for him, which is a testament to how good the facial capture stuff was.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

huh, I never would have classified Streetcar Named Desire as noir before today. Although thinking on it I don't know what I would classify it as, we didn't bring that up when I studied it in High School. It's one of my favourite plays and I really enjoyed the film, I didn't have any issues sitting through it many times. However that was probably because I just absorbed that play when I studied it in English class.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The atmosphere of the homicide desk, along with Rusty, are probably my favorite bits of the entire game, but it's a shame that the overarching plot of the desk ends up being kind of a whimper that makes you feel like nothing you did really mattered. I guess it works with how the LAPD was in the late 40's but out of all the desks it's the one I wish they would've made more its own separate thing in the overall story of the game. I would've happily played 20 more homicide cases unrelated to any serial killer.

Goddamn it Rockstar, get your finger out and give us a sequel already. Whore of the Orient or whatever is never coming out anyway.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Inferior posted:

No kidding, I'd think that'd have good odds of getting you shanked even today when the cops cheerfully notify the general jail population of that fact. Then again, maybe he was resigned that he was getting railroaded.

Stare-Out posted:

The atmosphere of the homicide desk, along with Rusty, are probably my favorite bits of the entire game, but it's a shame that the overarching plot of the desk ends up being kind of a whimper that makes you feel like nothing you did really mattered. I guess it works with how the LAPD was in the late 40's but out of all the desks it's the one I wish they would've made more its own separate thing in the overall story of the game. I would've happily played 20 more homicide cases unrelated to any serial killer.

Yeah, I kinda wish there were more unrelated cases in Homicide; the lack of any DLC cases for Homicide was a real mistake in my opinion.

In regards to the lady calling over Phelps and Galloway as "Detectives", the game makes a pretty big point of everybody recognizing you from the papers.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.

Grapplejack posted:

Man some serious stranger danger in this episode. She just lets these two weird old men in her house.

Stranger Danger didn't really take off until the 80s. Two white men in suits claiming to be LAPD probably would seem perfectly legitimate to a kid that age at that time, especially given the conformity and authoritarianism of the day.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I may have missed someone linking this already but here's a pretty neat article about a guy playing LA Noire with his dad who grew up in 1940's LA.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

MadDogMike posted:

No kidding, I'd think that'd have good odds of getting you shanked even today when the cops cheerfully notify the general jail population of that fact. Then again, maybe he was resigned that he was getting railroaded.

I thought pedophiles and similar criminals are specifically given different rotations than general population because the guards and staff know they won't last long with everyone else. I'm pretty sure while nonce is a British insult it started as a prison label from the staff so they knew who could go out when so no one would get hurt.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Molly Millions posted:

Stranger Danger didn't really take off until the 80s. Two white men in suits claiming to be LAPD probably would seem perfectly legitimate to a kid that age at that time, especially given the conformity and authoritarianism of the day.

Agreed. Although it humors me that the devs seemingly never animated plainclothes detectives showing their badges to anyone.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Apologies for the double post but I just noticed further up:

This isn't the first time I've seen this article, nor is it the last time I'll wish I'd done this with my own dad. He was born in the late 30's, too young to really remember the wartime rationing and stuff but old enough to make the massive post-war construction sites his playgrounds. He was born in North Hollywood, across the street from orange groves and alfalfa fields. The streetcar to Hollywood proper ran through his neighborhood and he'd take it there to spend his allowance on movies (unsupervised, as a pre-teen, imagine anyone's kids doing that today). A couple times, he set fireworks on the tracks to prank the engineer when the last Red Car for the night would be rolling back to the yard house.

The whole valley is suburban sprawl now, of course. His street still looks the same but the surrounding area is slowly being developed into luxury apartments and whatnot. His house still remains, but it's been renovated into an office, and you can hear the echoes coming from the 101 Freeway. In his later years I used to drive him down his old street and he'd point to the houses and talk about the kids who lived in them. And we'd get to a stop sign and he'd tell me the story about how he was late for an appointment to get his car insured, ran the stop sign and clipped a Buick. Or about how his mom would set pies on the windowsill. I miss him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Casualty posted:

Apologies for the double post but I just noticed further up:

This isn't the first time I've seen this article, nor is it the last time I'll wish I'd done this with my own dad. He was born in the late 30's, too young to really remember the wartime rationing and stuff but old enough to make the massive post-war construction sites his playgrounds. He was born in North Hollywood, across the street from orange groves and alfalfa fields. The streetcar to Hollywood proper ran through his neighborhood and he'd take it there to spend his allowance on movies (unsupervised, as a pre-teen, imagine anyone's kids doing that today). A couple times, he set fireworks on the tracks to prank the engineer when the last Red Car for the night would be rolling back to the yard house.

The whole valley is suburban sprawl now, of course. His street still looks the same but the surrounding area is slowly being developed into luxury apartments and whatnot. His house still remains, but it's been renovated into an office, and you can hear the echoes coming from the 101 Freeway. In his later years I used to drive him down his old street and he'd point to the houses and talk about the kids who lived in them. And we'd get to a stop sign and he'd tell me the story about how he was late for an appointment to get his car insured, ran the stop sign and clipped a Buick. Or about how his mom would set pies on the windowsill. I miss him.

I can relate to this as my dad grew up in the 50's in the same place I live in today and he frequently tells me stories about it, pointing out how one place used to be a railroad depot or thick woods or what have you. I think that's a large part of why the article struck a chord with me. And it makes me regret not talking more to my grandparents who grew up right in the midst of the second world war. I've always felt that the LA of LA Noire, while an understandably "summarized" recreation, was something significant and very effectively displayed one of the great things videogames like LA Noire can do; a form of time travel and historical exploration. In all honestly I'm kind of bummed that Bobbin Threadbare elects to use Cole's partner a lot to drive around from location to location because the world they created for LA Noire is genuinely great and fantastically atmospheric, if a little clinical in terms of things to do. Everything from the geography to the songs on the radio clearly were something of a labor of love for the creators and it does come across.

On another note, I can't wait for LA Confidential to be one of the featured films. I just rewatched it today and it's so goddamn good. It's almost what LA Noire wants to be, but isn't. For anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet but is digging this LP, watch it. Seriously. You'll get way more out of LA Noire if you do.

E: Also LA Confidential has a couple of actors that show up in LA Noire, a Vice captain in LA Confidential who shows up in a (really good) DLC case as a bit of a thug and the guy who played Gordon Leitvol in one of the DLC cases is a coroner in the movie.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 24, 2016

• Locked thread