Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Would 14's juice do something like this?

...cuz I'd buy that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I wanted a piston but you're all out :smith:

Would you give me the crankshaft for a 100$ donation? I'll pay for the extra shipping costs above that too if you agree.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

It's yours!

I'll be willing to sell of any other engine parts goons may want as well.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hell, I'll sell you parts that didn't even come from a vehicle.

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Hell, I'll sell you parts that didn't even come from a vehicle.

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

My girlfriend tried that one time thinking she would get a million dollars. It didn't really work out though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

My girlfriend tried that one time thinking she would get a million dollars. It didn't really work out though.

Mr Lebowski?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Alright, so I guess the 292 is out of the running for replacement motor.
It has staggered motor mounts, and requires fabbing up some angled brackets and OTHER STUFF THAT'S TOO HARD TO DO IN A FIELD.

And it also requires swapping over to a V8 Bellhousing anyways. And the make a weld in mount kit for 350 engines as it is.
Also, V8 Bellhousings are surprisingly common and cheap on eBay. Aside from some clearance issues with the radiator and steering column, it looks like an easy enough job.

So I guess we're back to shopping for a 350.
Any suggestions on the best vehicle to pull one from?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Did RVs come with a 350?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

this is the summer of bad decision road trips on AI and I am 5,000% behind it

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

bad decision road trips

How dare you

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

14 BAR RIFF posted:

How dare you

it's right there in the thread title, love

evilcat
May 16, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Did RVs come with a 350?

A small class C may have one, but at least from the RV searching I've done before, Class A is cheaper to buy and will usually (if Chevy) be a 454.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
I'm in... Goonspeed! you crazy fuckers

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

My only regret is I don't have more to give. Also that I missed out on the piston rewards...in for whatever fun scrap you feel like sending my way, I'll cover additional postage.

Depending on timing I can probably send at least one gopro which should be attached to Mr 14"s head to capture all ramblings and work.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I'm still waiting on the bad decisions. Or is it bad in the 90s edgy way?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

It has staggered motor mounts, and requires fabbing up some angled brackets and OTHER STUFF THAT'S TOO HARD TO DO IN A FIELD.

You've obviously never had to repair broken farm equipment in a field with a generator, an arc welder, and a battery-powered angle grinder. That's all you need.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Well if things come together like I hope they will, we might actually be doing this on such luxuries as concrete.

freelop posted:

I'm still waiting on the bad decisions. Or is it bad in the 90s edgy way?

The bad decision was to drive a 60 year old truck halfway across the nation with no ac, a questionable motor, and probably something like 6.50 gears in the rear end. It'll be a miracle if it goes over 50mph.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 23, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A 350 you say?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I DO say! :haw: That listing is local to me and I take paypal and cash app and can leave work early to secure motor.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Ha, yeah. Didn't know you were coming over here, didn't mean to steal the thunder.

Of course, then there's the issue of getting the motor to Nebraska...

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Oh, I don't care about thunder :glomp: edit: actually I'm glad you posted it here since I didn't see that Sims was trying to find a 350 Chebby.

Transporting the motor to Nebraska sure would be a problem. HOWEVER! depending on timing I'm headed to St. Louis, MO on the 24th of June and could leave a day early to drop the fucker off.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 23, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

leica posted:

If somebody can follow and film/edit this poo poo it will rival anything Roadkill has ever done.

Seriously, you need to work in something with Finnegan and/or Freiburger here. This isn't just peak AI, it's peak Roadkill.

E: Finnegan lives in Georgia, you might as well stop by his house.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 23, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

KozmoNaut posted:

Seriously, you need to work in something with Finnegan and/or Freiburger here. This isn't just peak AI, it's peak Roadkill.

E: Finnegan lives in Georgia, you might as well stop by his house.

Seriously. Somebody call somebody. Isn't there some kind of submission email where you can send them terrible ideas for future shows?

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
in for a tenner.

I also sent a FB message to Finnegan ( I think ) with pertinent info, so maybe you guys will get famous.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah but no title...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah but no title...

If they're just borrowing the drivetrain, why does this matter?

I guess moving the parts car would be a problem, can you get short-term paper tags for a car you don't legally own? :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Well I mean you can always get a temporary permit...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Well I mean you can always get a temporary permit...

Can you get one of those if you don't own the car in question (on paper)? Lost title means it "belongs" to someone else, technically, yes?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm just thinking of the likely scenario that a cop pulls over to investigate the shitheap truck being actively mechaniced on the side of a state highway at 11pm on a tuesday, and there's any legal paperwork that isn't completely above the board. The truck being from one state, all drivers being from other states, and any registration being from yet another random state. I suppose that cop is not super likely to check for matching VINs on engine blocks or whatever. I don't know, I live in California where you can't just randomly swap engines into things, and I'm also automatically leery of any situation where the "owner" can't adequately prove their ownership of the thing they're selling.

But yeah I guess it'd probably be fine.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Leperflesh posted:

California where you can't just randomly swap engines into things

You can if it's pre-1975, in practice, and you can if it was pre-smog (so like mid-60s and before?) 100% legally.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Leperflesh posted:

I'm just thinking of the likely scenario that a cop pulls over to investigate the shitheap truck being actively mechaniced on the side of a state highway at 11pm on a tuesday, and there's any legal paperwork that isn't completely above the board. The truck being from one state, all drivers being from other states, and any registration being from yet another random state. I suppose that cop is not super likely to check for matching VINs on engine blocks or whatever. I don't know, I live in California where you can't just randomly swap engines into things, and I'm also automatically leery of any situation where the "owner" can't adequately prove their ownership of the thing they're selling.

But yeah I guess it'd probably be fine.

A while ago I got pulled over in my GF's car (her license and registration being from Washington, her insurance already transferred to Massachusetts, though) towing Fart Pipe's trailer with CT registration, and my Mass drivers license and massive record of inspection tickets. They didn't impound anything but it sure did take a long time for him to run all our info. Fortunately she was in the passenger seat.

I ended up with a fixit ticket for nonfunctional trailer lights. Should have known not to drive a sketchy looking (mismatched plates and the trailer wiring broke) vehicle during DUI patrol hours.

When it took a long time we started getting nervous and all I could think was the cop looking at the huge pile of info going "something stinks about this and all of this is going to impound until this gets explained."

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExplodingSims posted:

It's yours!

I'll be willing to sell of any other engine parts goons may want as well.

Done and done.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Slung Blade posted:

Done and done.

aw sheyit the blacksmith is on board

all we need now is KevBarlas and the Iron Mongers will be complete.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Threw a couple bucks your way, because this kind of madness needs support.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can buy an intake that will let that Buick have a distributor and carb. All you need then is a hot wire to make it go and some gas.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Raluek posted:

Can you get one of those if you don't own the car in question (on paper)? Lost title means it "belongs" to someone else, technically, yes?

I would just get a bill of sale and carry that and a printout of the craigslist ad.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Raluek posted:

You can if it's pre-1975, in practice, and you can if it was pre-smog (so like mid-60s and before?) 100% legally.

Yeah you're technically supposed to keep any existing OEM emissions equipment intact on all vehicles back to 1966. But since only 1976 and later vehicles are inspected no one ever abides by that rule for 1966-1975. Also you can't swap an older motor into a newer vehicle. The motor has to be the same manufacture year or newer than the receiving vehicle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How the gently caress would they know that? Also, is it a rolling 40 year thing?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It is forever frozen in the year 1976, because that is when cars started consistently having emissions equipment. Before that you're basically grandfathered as to your excuse for being a polluter because it's not reasonable to expect everyone with old cars to make them pass smog standards.

Basically CARB wrote its rules with the ironclad assumption that everyone has a licensed mechanic do all their work on their cars, always, and that if you do something non-normal (like a weird engine swap or whatever) you are probably trying to pull off some kind of illegal intent anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Donated because I was either a nonbeliever or an inciter in my first post, and I don't know which is worse.

• Locked thread