Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yep, it's time for a Communist Regime in Australia. Democracy has failed gravely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Not the only thing RDN got wrong.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-24/boom-in-cephalopod-numbers-point-to-changing-oceans/7437560

quote:

Octopus, squid and cuttlefish numbers boom in changing oceans ABC Science By Annabel McGilvray Posted about 7 hours ago

A surprising 60-year boom in global octopus, squid and cuttlefish numbers points to long-term changes taking place in the world's oceans, scientists say.

Key points:

Cephalopods are very adaptable to changing environmental conditions
Numbers have consistently increased since the 1950s
Increase is likely to be due to a combination of environmental changes
Research published in Current Biology today shows a steady increase in the world cephalopod population — the class of molluscs comprising octopus, squid and cuttlefish — since the 1950s, at a time of increased fishing, growing pollution and ocean warming.

The data analysis, led by Dr Zoe Doubleday from Australia's Environment Institute at the University of Adelaide, has confounded previous expectations that cephalopod populations go through cyclical booms and busts. We were surprised to see such a steady increase in the numbers over that entire period.

So global warming is great news if you like calamari and there will be an effectively endless source of cuttlefish for your birds. Most Australians who don't drown due to sea level rise will be burnt to a crisp in bush fires so I'm not seeing any downside what-so-ever here.

Checkmate envinvirofails :smug:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If cuttlefish inherit the earth I'll die burning and a happy man. :3:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Solemn Sloth posted:

hahahaha Di Natale didn't even keep timesheets of his au pair's hours, but nah I'm sure we can trust that they weren't working more than 25 hours a week :laffo:

It's good to know that there's a viable alternative to the ALP when it comes to parties that shoot themselves in the feet with such wanton enthusiasm.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Cartoon posted:

Not the only thing RDN got wrong.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-05-24/boom-in-cephalopod-numbers-point-to-changing-oceans/7437560

So global warming is great news if you like calamari and there will be an effectively endless source of cuttlefish for your birds. Most Australians who don't drown due to sea level rise will be burnt to a crisp in bush fires so I'm not seeing any downside what-so-ever here.

Checkmate envinvirofails :smug:

gently caress yeah I love calamari

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The discovery channel was right. Squids will inherit the earth!

The future is wild!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Does anybody have the June/election OP reserved? Because I think I know exactly the route the OP should go.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Patriotism for $1

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

The discovery channel was right. Squids will inherit the earth!

The future is wild!

Splatoon was a vision of the future.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The most appropriate australiana graphic they've put on that packaging is the radiation hazard symbol.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

A second Victorian police officer who was caught on camera kicking a (handcuffed, partially naked) woman in custody defends her actions before an anti-corruption inquiry, saying she was trying to "get her attention".

Leading Senior Constable Nicole Munro conceded she kicked the 51-year-old woman, who was later discovered to be a fellow police officer with the force's professional standards unit, but said it was not malicious.

"It was a case of trying to get her attention," Leading Senior Constable Munro told the Independent Broad-Based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC).

"[I was] trying to get her to calm down."

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

SynthOrange posted:

A second Victorian police officer who was caught on camera kicking a (handcuffed, partially naked) woman in custody defends her actions before an anti-corruption inquiry, saying she was trying to "get her attention".

Leading Senior Constable Nicole Munro conceded she kicked the 51-year-old woman, who was later discovered to be a fellow police officer with the force's professional standards unit, but said it was not malicious.

"It was a case of trying to get her attention," Leading Senior Constable Munro told the Independent Broad-Based Anti-Corruption Commission (IBAC).

Snitches get stitches

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

SynthOrange posted:

Oooooooh boy

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

There's only one effective way of ensuring professional standards in Australia's police forces and we all know what it is.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SynthOrange posted:

Judging from my experience with the IBAC and police brutality they will probably find Nicole acted reasonably, in the circumstances. If there were any grounds for criticism it was that the boot action was a little sloppy and unlikely to get the 'attention' of a real felon, while putting Nicole in serious danger of personal harm. Further firearms training to be undertaken by SC Munro. Next case!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Four Vietnamese asylum seekers forcibly returned to their country by Australia will appear in court on Thursday, facing up to seven years in jail for trying to flee.

Four others have already been jailed for between two and three years for illegally leaving the country, despite written assurances from the Vietnamese government – according to the commander of Operation Sovereign Borders – that they would not be charged or punished for leaving.

Last year two boatloads of Vietnamese asylum seekers were intercepted by Australian government vessels as they attempted to reach Australia. They underwent “enhanced screening” by Australian officials at sea, before being directly returned to Vietnam."

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Cartoon posted:

Judging from my experience with the IBAC and police brutality they will probably find Nicole acted reasonably, in the circumstances. If there were any grounds for criticism it was that the boot action was a little sloppy and unlikely to get the 'attention' of a real felon, while putting Nicole in serious danger of personal harm. Further firearms training to be undertaken by SC Munro. Next case!

look, if you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear. stop disrespecting our boys and girls in blue black

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Blue lives matter.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

No less than three times a day in my office when the inevitable election discussion arises, I hear "they are just as bad as the other, I wish there was another party to vote for"

Yeah, imagine if there was a third option, that wasnt like the other two! they could even have their own colour, say, green?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 24, 2016

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Laserface posted:

No less than three times a day in my office when the inevitable election discussion arises, I hear "they are just as bad as the other, I wish there was another party to vote for"

Yeah, imagine if there was a third option, that wasnt like the other two! they could even have their own primary colour, say, green?

Lib Dems, got it. They're yellow though.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Laserface posted:

Yeah, imagine if there was a third option, that wasnt like the other two! they could even have their own primary colour, say, green?
But what if the Nationals aren't running a candidate in my seat? :ohdear:

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Green isn't a primary colour

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Big Willy Style posted:

and it'll never be a government forming colour either.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So I have a dumbarse liberal friend who really likes having his head so far up his own arse that he likes to think he's a critical thinker and spouts poo poo like this

"In a country where our hospitality and retail sectors are doing it tough and could be employing more people and offering more hours, it makes logical sense to pay the same 150% penalty rate for Sunday hours that is offered on Saturday hours."

I can tell you already he has literally never worked a Sunday in his life and has rich parents.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Spudd posted:

So I have a dumbarse liberal friend who really likes having his head so far up his own arse that he likes to think he's a critical thinker and spouts poo poo like this

"In a country where our hospitality and retail sectors are doing it tough and could be employing more people and offering more hours, it makes logical sense to pay the same 150% penalty rate for Sunday hours that is offered on Saturday hours."

I can tell you already he has literally never worked a Sunday in his life and has rich parents.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Regarding the Senate election, is there a reason why the parties aren't running more than six candidates for most states? In Victoria for example no-one is running more than the usual six, even though all twelve are up. Is that just realism that no-one is going to get more half? Usually I don't have to bother learning much about the candidates at the tail end of the ticket.

Also I'd forgotten that Derryn Hinch is on there.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Listen to this man, Spudd. It's the only language they understand.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I think there is a case to be made for evening out the Sat/Sun difference in penalty rates for sectors where there is no real difference. I'm guessing "poor people will literally starve" won't cut it for your friend?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Wait when was Angry Anderson running for the Senate?

I really haven't been paying attention.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Big Willy Style posted:

looks like someone don't know gently caress about additive colour systems

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
reducing wages will not increase the amount of employment in the hospitality sector. To increase employment in the hospitality sector you need to increase the demand for those products, so companies hire more people to fill that demand. To get more people going out to dinner and the pub people need more disposable cash in their pocket. reducing disposable cash for a large segment of the population, hospitality workers, you will reduce employment in hospitality.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Trapezium Dave posted:

Wait when was Angry Anderson running for the Senate?

I really haven't been paying attention.

Probably with One Nation or a similar party/platform, as he has fairly right wing views on things

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

You Am I posted:

Probably with One Nation or a similar party/platform, as he has fairly right wing views on things
Anti-Islam party Australian Liberty Alliance in NSW, yep.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Trapezium Dave posted:

Anti-Islam party Australian Liberty Alliance in NSW, yep.

Australian Liberty Party: Liberty for everyone except Muslims, gently caress those guys.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I thought angry anderson had an epiphany on go back to where you came from or something? I remember him blaming the media for tricking him into xenophobia

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

katlington posted:

I thought angry anderson had an epiphany on go back to where you came from or something? I remember him blaming the media for tricking him into xenophobia

Really? That's interesting. He always seems to show his face at anti-immigration rallies on the TV

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

katlington posted:

Yeah, but then I learned that Cadbury sells Halal chocolate and I wasn't having none of that. Our kid's pocket money going to fund terrorism? You couldn't make it up! It's political correctness gone mad!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Spudd posted:

He also understands gently caress all about markets either. It's not penalty rates that are the problem, the problem is we just have saturated hospitality and retail markets.

KennyTheFish posted:

reducing wages will not increase the amount of employment in the hospitality sector. To increase employment in the hospitality sector you need to increase the demand for those products, so companies hire more people to fill that demand. To get more people going out to dinner and the pub people need more disposable cash in their pocket. reducing disposable cash for a large segment of the population, hospitality workers, you will reduce employment in hospitality.
Increasing welfare would also put more money into the hospitality and retail sectors. Also having more people (i.e taking in asylum seekers) means an increased demand in those areas.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

CrazyTolradi posted:

He also understands gently caress all about markets either. It's not penalty rates that are the problem, the problem is we just have saturated hospitality and retail markets.

Increasing welfare would also put more money into the hospitality and retail sectors. Also having more people (i.e taking in asylum seekers) means an increased demand in those areas.

Nah they'll just take our jobs and our welfare away from us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

katlington posted:

I know a guy who got fired from his funeral home job for getting drunk and trying to drop kick angry Anderson at their end of year Christmas party.

He made the right choice.

screaden fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 24, 2016

• Locked thread