Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The Origin basically states he met his wife when she held him hostage which he found the hottest thing ever.

That's pretty adorable. His own personal version of a meet cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

PBS Newshour posted:

I think I am actually going to stop watching 83 and go to Zeta because I kinda miss Char. I hope he somehow gets mud on Amuro's pants again

I guess Zeta is polarizing or something, but it's easily one of the best imo. I think 0080 might be a little better just because it's so much shorter and more succinct.

Then again, I still have a lot of gundam that i haven't seen so what do i know?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Dozel is characterized both in sidestories and in the novels as someone who really likes fighting. He is not the worst Zabi but he is the definition of a warmonger, someone who actively enjoys fighting and killing and is deep enough into Zabi territory that he's convinced himself he's on the right side.

He is someone who probably could be made less of an rear end in a top hat but mostly if he was pointed towards guys who are more acceptable to kill. The fact he cares for his wife and child doesn't change that. (And just makes it a bit sadder.) The Origin basically states he met his wife when she held him hostage which he found the hottest thing ever.

Tried to hold him hostage. It didn't really work, but he admired her guts. If I remember right, the proposal involved a certain amount of "There is no way I'm good enough for you, but..."

Just going off my read from the Origin, I'm not sure he could only be less of an rear end in a top hat if you kept throwing the right people to make corpses in front of him. Like, if the rest of the Zabis were decent people, Dozle'd be a decent guy too. Maybe a bit eager to fight if it seemed like there was a good cause, but he's the Zabi who looked at Operation British and almost went "I am murdering innocent people, families just like mine. This is monstrous and cannot be justified. This has to stop."

Almost.

Then, of course, because he's a drat dirty Zabi, he went into a spiral of self justification to explain why it's totally okay to keep going, and it wasn't that wrong, and really, it's their fault. But unlike Garma, he had a moment of almost realizing they were now the baddies, and unlike Gihren and Kycilia, he almost got it through his thick skull that You Shouldn't Be The Baddies. If he'd followed up on it...

Okay, if he tried to follow up on it, he'd probably be ignored or murdered, because Dozle couldn't even see the political games Char, Kycilia, and Gihren were playing. But he'd fail on the right side of things. If he'd just listened to his conscience (And good old Lt. Ral) over Gihren, he'd be a decent enough man. As he didn't, he's a villain. But a much more sympathetic villain than his brother.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Then, of course, because he's a drat dirty Zabi, he went into a spiral of self justification to explain why it's totally okay to keep going, and it wasn't that wrong, and really, it's their fault.

That's a just a people thing, really.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That's what's good about The Origin and 0079 though. It's willing to paint its villains as people that do horrible things, and not demons straight out of hell to kill our heroes.

Contrast that to even a good movie like Saving Private Ryan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dozle also didn't really go bad until Kycilia had sasro murdered for spiting her. Even though he didn't have proof she did it it is what started the rift between him and his older siblings.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Raxivace posted:

That's what's good about The Origin and 0079 though. It's willing to paint its villains as people that do horrible things, and not demons straight out of hell to kill our heroes.

Contrast that to even a good movie like Saving Private Ryan.

Ghiren gets close.

e: But yeah, even the dude designed to look like your Old Evil Emperor is an unscrupulous opportunist who's cold to the impacts of his actions until they finally come home, which gets him to fold pretty quickly.

Motto fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 24, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gihren just wanted to one-up some guy from the middle ages. People will do crazy things to be on the Guinness' records.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Motto posted:

Ghiren gets close.

e: But yeah, even the dude designed to look like your Old Evil Emperor is really just an unscrupulous opportunist who's cold to the impacts of his actions until they finally come home, folding pretty quickly as a result.

I loved the bit with him and Admiral Santa. Poor Degwin was finally realizing what the war would do, tried to let Revil slip out so he could go back to the Feddies and go "Hey, maybe we should all just sit back, stop shooting the poo poo out of each other, be done with the mess."

But Revil? Not that kind of man, as it turns out. Instant he's out, it's time for the big speech that, hey, Zeon's hurting just as bad as we are.

Good speech, puts him in the history books as the man who saved the Federation from surrender. And, by top Feddie brass standards, Revil's a pretty decent guy. Probably deserves his place.

A place he earned it by betraying a sad, worn out old man who'd gotten to the point where all he wanted was the bloodshed to stop. The man he'd die alongside once the terms finally looked good enough.

Funny old world.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xinder posted:

I was just saying how Alfred was the only child character that didn't annoy me at some point in all of Gundam so far

what about Puru?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

I loved the bit with him and Admiral Santa. Poor Degwin was finally realizing what the war would do, tried to let Revil slip out so he could go back to the Feddies and go "Hey, maybe we should all just sit back, stop shooting the poo poo out of each other, be done with the mess."

But Revil? Not that kind of man, as it turns out. Instant he's out, it's time for the big speech that, hey, Zeon's hurting just as bad as we are.

Good speech, puts him in the history books as the man who saved the Federation from surrender. And, by top Feddie brass standards, Revil's a pretty decent guy. Probably deserves his place.

A place he earned it by betraying a sad, worn out old man who'd gotten to the point where all he wanted was the bloodshed to stop. The man he'd die alongside once the terms finally looked good enough.

Funny old world.

I always saw Revil as very much a General Grant kind of guy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Funny old world.

tbf at that point Degwin's using flowery language to ask the Federation to surrender after he'd killed half of Earth's population. plus upon witnessing Revil's speech he's incensed and yells at Garma to kill those earth fuckers good.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 24, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Loum was the debut of the zaku ii right? Zaku I had been in service since before the war. Or were the zaku iis not really proven to be so revolutionary before that point? Because while zeon murdered billions in less than a month, militarily they were getting their asses handed to them without mobile suit support. Loum was almost a disaster that could have ended the entire war had zaku aces like char or ridden not intervened

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Motto posted:

tbf at that point Degwin's using flowery language to ask the Federation to surrender after he'd killed half of Earth's population. plus upon witnessing Revil's speech he's incensed and yells at Garma to kill those earth fuckers good.

Hey, I wasn't saying it was the wrong call. Even if Degwin was telling the truth that all he wanted now was peace, and even if you argued that future losses would be too high a price to retake the territory Zeon stole by murdering billions, there'd still be Gihren to worry about.

Just noting that Revil pretty much lied to the man's face.

Revil's much, much less of an idiot than a lot of members of the Feddie brass.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

boom boom boom posted:

what about Puru?

I found her pretty annoying at first, but warmed to her over time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So yeah. My bad about that probation. Somewhere between point A and point B what was supposed to be a joke turned into...poo poo, I dunno.

ANYWHO, I think it's time I finally take the plunge on Gundam SEED. Not really looking forward to it, but it's pretty much all I got left.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

suggestion: watch something you'll like rather than doing homework to add to a decade of "boy, SEED sure was bad"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
To be fair, I'm avoiding Destiny. And also I watched all of AGE. I should be fine? Maybe?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Gundam SEED is better than Gundam AGE

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

To be fair, I'm avoiding Destiny. And also I watched all of AGE. I should be fine? Maybe?
Every /m/an must face their Destiny eventually...you cannot avoid it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Basically the parts:

Plastic Merge is feeding it EXP. This is the one you'll use most because plastic becomes outdated quickly so it's better to just feed it to parts you like than hold onto it
Pair Merge merges two pieces together and lets you pick which skills from each you get. Merging a lower-rank item with a higher-rank items increases the rank. This lets you equip more skills. Mostly used to build up already high-level parts.
Derive Merge lets you combine two parts to get new parts. This is borderline worthless because you're more likely to find the parts you want just playing the game.
Package Merge lets you turn a lot of excess junk into extra EXP. Not super worth it unless you're just finding yourself too bloated with low-level parts but have an excess of GP.

Slightly belated, but Package Merge also merges any already existing skills/bonus damage from the stuff you're merging. So if you have a sword that has +100 to swords and merge it with a half dozen +10 to swords you'll get both the xp and the same +bonus to swords that you'd have gotten if you pair merged them. This becomes important later on because it means you can basically just scroll through the list and pick out parts that enhance what you're already doing without having to spend a bajillion years independently comparing parts.

As far as what to use in terms of parts, the game is pretty forgiving about letting you use whatever you want this time around since stats aren't tied to gear. That said certain pieces of equipment are bizarrely powerful for not adequately explored reason. The Endless Waltz Wing Gundam Buster Rifle hits way above its weight class in shooting mode, the FAZZ backpack is a perfect parts break equipment, which means if you shoot an ace after their yellow bar is depleted you will shatter them, allowing you to walk over and finish them on the ground in one go, which is especially useful in arena.

Lastly, the Strike Freedom's Super Dragoon is simply broken. Its an Ex-Trance move the same as Trans Am, giving you improved speed, boost and the ability to boost cancel out of poo poo, but the real prize is the dragoons and only useable with the backpack even after you master the move. The funnels do literally millions of damage, and are basically an area clear whenever you use them. If you want to grind GP for example, you can equip the Super Dragoon, die at an arena enemy of your choice and use a ticket to revive. You revive with your EX skills all at full, crack Super Dragoon and fly around for thirty seconds targeting nothing while they obliterate the toughest enemies in the game. If you build Ex+ stats onto your gear you can basically run around with them more or less constantly on during stages and watch as things just die around you. Not exactly fun past the first five or ten minutes, but it cuts down on even the lategame newtype grind.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Okay, so a few things seemed to not go right: I have a GN-X saber and an uncommon MK II saber with a + dps on it. But if I hit Pair Merge on the first saber the second isn't on the list. I wanted the red GN-X saber with the MK II stats, since I like the red blade.

I was able to Pair Merge stuff into a GN-X backpack so it has the GN-Drive skill, but my suit equipped with it can't use Trans Am. Doesn't it meet the requirements? Again, I want the red particle effect.

And lastly, my Barbatos 4 code doesn't work. Is that to do with not being in HK, even with a HK account?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
While we're talking about The Origin and Zabis, my least favourite change it made is changing a lot of Kycilia's character-building scenes to make her more cold-hearted and manipulative, and completely changing the tone of the scene where Kycilia executes Gihren so that she goes from doing it (arguably) out of love for their father to just doing it for purely political reasons.

It's a shame, since it was nice when Kycilia had one redeeming feature (loyalty to her family).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Motto posted:

suggestion: watch something you'll like rather than doing homework to add to a decade of "boy, SEED sure was bad"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Completionism for its own sake is bad!!!

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Okay, so a few things seemed to not go right: I have a GN-X saber and an uncommon MK II saber with a + dps on it. But if I hit Pair Merge on the first saber the second isn't on the list. I wanted the red GN-X saber with the MK II stats, since I like the red blade.

I was able to Pair Merge stuff into a GN-X backpack so it has the GN-Drive skill, but my suit equipped with it can't use Trans Am. Doesn't it meet the requirements? Again, I want the red particle effect.

And lastly, my Barbatos 4 code doesn't work. Is that to do with not being in HK, even with a HK account?

Taking these point by point:

1. You absolutely should be able to do this, but you need to make sure you don't have the second saber equipped. It would probably be better to have NEITHER equipped, just select another crappy weapon to equip while you're doing the merge. The other should appear in the list fine. If not, hit Triangle and check you don't have your Filter options set up weird.

2. A Skill does not enable usage of the associated power. Trans-Am counts as an EX Burst; look for it on bodies, I believe. You cannot transfer EX Bursts and stuff between parts; they're locked to whatever their origin part is, until you use them enough. Once you obtain the Burst itself after battle as a gold abilitiy with a star, you'll be able to use it with any equipment. Skills are different; you can check https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KciDQHsa5LCXe_JmaSfiCipI5zViIXew4lXlcwAaCmM/htmlview?pli=1 for lists with what they do. Sadly this info isn't in-game, and it's not translated perfectly.

3. The Barbatos code will work, but only if you're playing it with the same region account as you bought the game from. IE, if you buy the Asian English version, which is a Singapore region game, you'll need a Singapore account on your PS4 to get patches and such; however, you can PLAY it using your native account. The problem arises that that code will only give you the free stuff if you play with the SG account.

However, it's not a big deal. It's not DLC, it's an early extra set of parts. You'll be able to unlock them normally as you play, and if you're in a major rush, use the Arena's Bounty Hunter mode and keep refreshing until you find opponents with those parts equipped. They can drop them like anything else, and if you're in a HUGE rush, once you get half a suit's parts, they show up to buy from the store. So, don't worry, you're not missing anything.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Motto posted:

I'm actually excited to watch SEED when i get around to it

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Kurui Reiten posted:

3. The Barbatos code will work, but only if you're playing it with the same region account as you bought the game from. IE, if you buy the Asian English version, which is a Singapore region game, you'll need a Singapore account on your PS4 to get patches and such; however, you can PLAY it using your native account. The problem arises that that code will only give you the free stuff if you play with the SG account.

However, it's not a big deal. It's not DLC, it's an early extra set of parts. You'll be able to unlock them normally as you play, and if you're in a major rush, use the Arena's Bounty Hunter mode and keep refreshing until you find opponents with those parts equipped. They can drop them like anything else, and if you're in a HUGE rush, once you get half a suit's parts, they show up to buy from the store. So, don't worry, you're not missing anything.

I thought it was Hong Kong region, or is it both? I have the Asian English version and am playing on a Hong Kong account.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Pretty sure the Asian English version is Singapore. Try making a Singapore account and playing under that; see if your parts show up. Oh, right, you should know, they don't just appear in your inventory I believe; they show up under Gifts in the Store, I think. I can't tell you for sure, since I play on my US account, but I remember reading that's how it works.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SEED's pretty alright.

There's much worse.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kurui Reiten posted:

Pretty sure the Asian English version is Singapore.

It is, yeah.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

It is, yeah.

Bugger, I wish someone had said something before. Do I have to start over if I want to use DLC?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Bugger, I wish someone had said something before. Do I have to start over if I want to use DLC?

Your saves should be local to your console, so I don't think so? You can just make the account and see, it won't delete any other accounts on the PS4.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

SEED's pretty alright.

There's much worse.

I feel like these days in an era where we frequently get phenomenal shows clocking in at a dozen episodes, spending nearly 20 hours on something "pretty alright" is a tall order.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Srice posted:

Completionism for its own sake is bad!!!

And I agree, which is why my current plan is to watch SEED but avoid Destiny.

The issue that comes up is that for some weird rear end broken-brain reason, I watched AGE from start to finish. Waited weekly for each episode, in fact, when it was clear it was bad and getting worse. I have seen one of the worst, so just saying "SEED is bad so I won't watch it" just doesn't feel right to me. Now....if I watch Destiny afterwards? Leave me to die, as something has clearly gone wrong with my brain.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

I feel like these days in an era where we frequently get phenomenal shows clocking in at a dozen episodes, spending nearly 20 hours on something "pretty alright" is a tall order.

I got hobbies to do while watching it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't you completionist shame me, Srice! I'm gonna watch all the Gundam good and bad! And no one's gonna stop meeeee!!!!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Baal posted:

Don't you completionist shame me, Srice! I'm gonna watch all the Gundam good and bad! And no one's gonna stop meeeee!!!!!

I'll only shame if I see bad posts :evilbuddy:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PBS Newshour posted:

The worst thing about Char killing Garma is that its not as cool as how he killed Kycilia

I dunno, the sheer level of spiteful knife-twisting that Char pulled with Garma's death is pretty breathtaking. Kycilia died in a surprised instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

Lastly, the Strike Freedom's Super Dragoon is simply broken. Its an Ex-Trance move the same as Trans Am, giving you improved speed, boost and the ability to boost cancel out of poo poo, but the real prize is the dragoons and only useable with the backpack even after you master the move. The funnels do literally millions of damage, and are basically an area clear whenever you use them. If you want to grind GP for example, you can equip the Super Dragoon, die at an arena enemy of your choice and use a ticket to revive. You revive with your EX skills all at full, crack Super Dragoon and fly around for thirty seconds targeting nothing while they obliterate the toughest enemies in the game. If you build Ex+ stats onto your gear you can basically run around with them more or less constantly on during stages and watch as things just die around you. Not exactly fun past the first five or ten minutes, but it cuts down on even the lategame newtype grind.

Yeah, i got a Super Dragoon pack and it hilariously trivializes everything and anything.