Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cake Attack posted:

so I'm playing wild arms 3 and is it just me or is Clive way better than everyone else
He is a dadass who kills in one shot.

Magic is very good, you let the mages kill with it, while the others use the buffs and debuffs. Clive just crits for 7000 each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh look, more Atelier.
http://gematsu.com/2016/05/new-atelier-game-titled-atelier-firis

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if they'll finally give up on PS3

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

F Iris?

how rude

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm looking forward to the future release of Atelier Fannie

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

voltcatfish posted:

F Iris?

how rude
Sounds kinda like Phyllis but that's the sorta name you can't disassociate from old people.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

i'm looking forward to the future release of Atelier Fannie

Even funnier in the UK

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This talk of Wild Arms 3 makes me want to play it again. It has been a good few years and I remember making Clive and Jet completely broken.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cake Attack posted:

so I'm playing wild arms 3 and is it just me or is Clive way better than everyone else

Clive is great because his sniper rifle only holds two rounds and you need to have an empty clip to use Finest Arts, but I was beaten to this by some hours so

Cake Attack posted:

Is magic supposed to be any good. Except for gallows everyone seems to do pretty poor damage casting

Magic damage kinda sucks, summon damage is pretty good, but magic power iirc doesn't affect buff or debuff magic, so you're supposed to put those on fast-but-no-Int characters like Jet.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't remember if 3 has the OP play whenever you load the game though, that just made it feel even more anime-y to me.
It does, and it plays the Japanese version of the OP sometimes, though I never figured out exactly what caused it.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:56 on May 24, 2016

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Magic damage is real good when you hit weaknesses. It's pretty bad otherwise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Wow so Trails SC is just dialling the anime up to 11, huh? :munch:

Just finished Chapter 1 and Liberl's suddenly gonna be lousy with giant robots made of polygons, isn't it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wow so Trails SC is just dialling the anime up to 11, huh? :munch:

Just finished Chapter 1 and Liberl's suddenly gonna be lousy with giant robots made of polygons, isn't it?

one day you'll get to Trails of Cold Steel and we can look back on this with a hearty good-natured laugh

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Really Pants posted:

one day you'll get to Trails of Cold Steel and we can look back on this with a hearty good-natured laugh

It's sitting on my stack for after Trails SC :v:.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Seems Sega is listening to feedback for Valkyira.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

HGH posted:

Seems Sega is listening to feedback for Valkyira.

It never feels good to me when devs do this. It's like they're saying "Oh you didn't like that game we were making? Oh ok we weren't very attached to it either, in fact let's just throw it in the trash and here's a new one" Like, if you didn't have that much confidence in your game that player feedback causes you to radically change how it plays, how good can it be?

But of course, I'm no developer and for all I know all of my favorite games have gone through this exact same treatment somewhere along the dev cycle.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

feedback and iteration is important and every video game ever made has gone through radical design shifts during development, without a single exception. if they completely caved to pressure and remade the game from scratch that'd be one thing but it seems like they're just altering the system they already had to give it more strategy elements, which is totally a fair tweak to make. it's kind of weird to think they're tossing the game in the trash when they're making such radical changes as '4 party members instead of 3'

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Bravely Default developers listened to player feedback, then made a list of 100 things they changed/added in the remake that we got. They also released several demos to gauge player thoughts.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I was a bit bothered by Nioh outright removing durability instead of rebalancing it, but ultimately there's probably way more people who'd rather not deal with that mechanic at all then there are those who'd enjoy it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Me for one

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Studies have shown that removing durability and replacing it with a better mechanic is cool and good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

It never feels good to me when devs do this. It's like they're saying "Oh you didn't like that game we were making? Oh ok we weren't very attached to it either, in fact let's just throw it in the trash and here's a new one" Like, if you didn't have that much confidence in your game that player feedback causes you to radically change how it plays, how good can it be?

But of course, I'm no developer and for all I know all of my favorite games have gone through this exact same treatment somewhere along the dev cycle.

Pretty much. This is just a transparent version of what countless games have gone through behind closed doors. Go have a look at Unseen64.net and see what some of your favourite games looked like in their Beta versions.

Try playing aomething Half Life 2 with the commentary on too. A bunch of their comments are like "this bit used be totally different and the test-players hated/didn't understand it.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:04 on May 24, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i'm glad devs are actually using their public betas/alphas as betas/alphas instead of glorified demos

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Davincie posted:

i'm glad devs are actually using their public betas/alphas as betas/alphas instead of glorified demos

Tecmo Koei have been pretty good for this with Toukiden 1's very first demo getting some massive changes. They seem to be doing the same thing with Ni-oh and Toukiden 2. I'm all for it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Atelier stuff:
http://www.siliconera.com/tag/atelier-firis-the-alchemist-of-the-mysterious-journey/

- Firis doesn’t have an Atelier in particular, but will use alchemy throughout her travels.
-most extensive fields we’ve yet to see from the series.
-You’ll find various “Bonfires” in each field, and these can be used to pitch tents which will act as your Atelier for synthesis. You might also get effects from the land while using alchemy.
-Similar to Sophie, the synthesis system will be done in puzzle-game style with the ingredients used as pieces. A new “Superdreadnaught Synthesis” will also be possible, allowing you to make things regardless of the size of the alchemy pot. You'll also be able to make things like boats.
-Unlike previous games where towns acted like a home base, you'll be moving on from location to location.
-The game's first objective has a limit of one year, after which the game continues on without time limits.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I can't think of a single game where durability is an actually fun and good system to use

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Terper posted:

Studies have shown that removing durability and replacing it with a better mechanic is cool and good.

Has there ever been a durability mechanic that was fun or added depth? The closest I guess is fire emblem, but not really.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

taking away durability in fe was good but they redesigned the weapon system to compensate, you couldn't really just remove durability straight up from the early games. Also its good in 5

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

it's alright in swordcraft 2 since it mostly only exists to keep you from spamming skills.

e: also gives you a secondary win condition against human foes that nets bonus weapon plans

Motto fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 24, 2016

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Motto posted:

Atelier stuff:
http://www.siliconera.com/tag/atelier-firis-the-alchemist-of-the-mysterious-journey/

- Firis doesn’t have an Atelier in particular, but will use alchemy throughout her travels.
-You’ll find various “Bonfires” in each field, and these can be used to pitch tents which will act as your Atelier for synthesis. You might also get effects from the land while using alchemy.
-Similar to Sophie, the synthesis system will be done in puzzle-game style with the ingredients used as pieces. A new “Superdreadnaught Synthesis” will also be possible, allowing you to make things regardless of the size of the alchemy pot. You'll also be able to make things like boats.
-Unlike previous games where towns acted like a home base, you'll be moving on from location to location.
-The game's first objective has a limit of one year, after which the game continues on without time limits.

She looks really cool

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yggdra Union, maybe? It's not really a conventional durability mechanic, though: items last for a specific number of maps after you equip them and you can't unequip them until they're used up, so you have to plan your equipment choices around that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

Atelier stuff:

Atelier Souls confirmed

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Picking up Growlanser IV for the PSP. Haven't played one of these since 2 and 3 on PS2, but I've ehard it's the hardest in the series? Is that for just beating the game or doing all of the stupid challenges to get a perfect clear on a mission or whatever?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Trailer for I Am Setsuna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4txT2EicrHE

Pre-order page on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/441830/

Available July 19th, $40.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

taking away durability in fe was good but they redesigned the weapon system to compensate, you couldn't really just remove durability straight up from the early games. Also its good in 5

Yeah, it's good in 5 because buying weapons is super expensive so the game is basically strongarming you into making use of the capture system, where you just gank a dude, grab his stuff, and toss him.

Most FE games after 5 just had durability because why not, it didn't really add a whole lot.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Kind of an oddly specific request, but what are some RPGs in which your strength of abilities, stats, equipment, whatever, goes up the more you use them?
Example:

- You punch things enough and your punch affinity goes up, making punching do more damage
- You stab guys with your Mythril Stabber and its power goes up, either making it stronger or maxing out for some sort of bonus
- You disarm a bunch of bombs and now your Bomb Disarming skill goes up because of it.
- After battle, you get Equipment Points that your equipment absorbs, making it better

Stuff like that. I was talking to a friend yesterday and I realized I love systems like that. Stuff like Jagged Alliance 2, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy II (but, you know, not horrifically imbalanced), and to a lesser extent the Elder Scrolls games, though it never seems as fun in those games, especially with how level is tied to your ability increases.

Mostly I like the part where individual pieces of equipment get stronger through use, but in general like that sort of thing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

tales of graces

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Disgaea with the individual spell levels?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Trailer for I Am Setsuna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4txT2EicrHE

Pre-order page on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/441830/

Available July 19th, $40.

Heard this was kinda meh but hell I'm excited for it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Caphi posted:

Disgaea with the individual spell levels?

I do like it in Disgaea. My only issue with it is that it's so easy to just invalidate previous abilities when you get stronger versions of them.

Davincie posted:

tales of graces

My favourite ability system in any game. I loved being able to powerup my poo poo by doing a using those skills in combat. There was that weird weapon gem fusion thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Kind of an oddly specific request, but what are some RPGs in which your strength of abilities, stats, equipment, whatever, goes up the more you use them?
Example:

- You punch things enough and your punch affinity goes up, making punching do more damage
- You stab guys with your Mythril Stabber and its power goes up, either making it stronger or maxing out for some sort of bonus
- You disarm a bunch of bombs and now your Bomb Disarming skill goes up because of it.
- After battle, you get Equipment Points that your equipment absorbs, making it better

Stuff like that. I was talking to a friend yesterday and I realized I love systems like that. Stuff like Jagged Alliance 2, Final Fantasy IX, Final Fantasy II (but, you know, not horrifically imbalanced), and to a lesser extent the Elder Scrolls games, though it never seems as fun in those games, especially with how level is tied to your ability increases.

Mostly I like the part where individual pieces of equipment get stronger through use, but in general like that sort of thing.

That's basically how the leveling system works in the GBC Saga games (i.e. Final Fantasy Legend). Using swords makes you stronger, casting magic makes you magic better, ect.