Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

gigawhite posted:

On that note, I could never tell yesterday if I was far enough away from d.va's mech explosion thing to not get taken out. Pretty massive range on that one.

Pretty sure that's purely LOS. So just jump behind a wall and you're good no mater the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Zarya's ult would be absurdly good if it could disable. Sucking in and rooting enemies is an invitation to a team wipe.

Fire at will!

Dead Like Rev
Sep 6, 2010

"The dead walk among us."

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As much fun as Lucio is I still believe that Mercy is the best support for attack-defend maps. The others can lend support but Mercy can change the tide of the map singlehandedly. But then again I used to occasionally pub medic in TF2 so I am certifiably insane

Plus killing people with her pistol will never not be hilarious

We went up against a two lucio team on an attack defend map last night, broke our 20 something game winning streak. They were drat near unstoppable, was absurd. But they were also incredibly coordinated, chaining ults and always moving as a group. Comp was Junkrat, Reinhardt, 2 Lucio's, Soldier and Pharrah.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Crain posted:

I he solo queuing? Cause if he's 6 stacking then he'll be more likely to get paired against other 6 stacks (I think). Which would explain why he would be getting teamed with other pros since right now I assume other pros make up most of the 6 stacks.

He was 6-stacking, but I have no idea why you would assume only pros 6-stack. In Seagull's first four matches, he faced pro players in three of them. When 6 goons stack, that does not happen.

I'm pretty sure MMR did not reset.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I hope Dva gets a buff in the form of like letting you move at full speed while firing or something.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Elerion posted:

He was 6-stacking, but I have no idea why you would assume only pros 6-stack.

Well, I'm not saying only pros stack. Just that they'd make up a majority of the 6 stack pool.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

DreamShipWrecked posted:

As much fun as Lucio is I still believe that Mercy is the best support for attack-defend maps. The others can lend support but Mercy can change the tide of the map singlehandedly. But then again I used to occasionally pub medic in TF2 so I am certifiably insane

i think lucio is more of a secondary support as opposed to main healer, should be combined with another support (despite his raw healing being amazing, i think i regularly top 9k healing with him)

speaking of, how does play of the game get calculated? is it raw points/kills?

my team got blackhole'd and i popped sound barrier + amp it up, effectively nullifying 80% of the damage, but play of the game went to some tepid three kill autoshot soldier

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

the pistol reloads even when you switch away from it, so there's no reason not to try and plink a few people if you get the chance

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

voltron lion force posted:

I hope Dva gets a buff in the form of like letting you move at full speed while firing or something.

It would be great if they changed it so that you can only use right click to stop boosters leaving left click free for shooting.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Elerion posted:

He was 6-stacking, but I have no idea why you would assume only pros 6-stack.

i can confirm that most of my friends were 6-stacking last night and they're pretty bad :shobon:

gigawhite posted:

On that note, I could never tell yesterday if I was far enough away from d.va's mech explosion thing to not get taken out. Pretty massive range on that one.

I'm *fairly sure* that the red / ! \ symbol will turn yellow when you're out of range. It's not an infinite range, but it is very very big.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

gigawhite posted:

breaking line of sight will shield you from it. the payload counts for this btw

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Did a quick match this morning before work. We were on defense and the other team kept barely making it past the checkpoints before the time expired. We were at overtime for a full minute just shy of the objective, then I discovered Bastion was a character and we won. Fun times.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pubs that refuse to run 2x Winston or Lucio because "Duplicates aren't good" give me serious aids.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i can confirm that most of my friends were 6-stacking last night and they're pretty bad :shobon:

:same: :v:

hhhat posted:

Welp

I admit to being owned

That's cool I got owned by this multiple times last night.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Crain posted:

Pretty sure that's purely LOS. So just jump behind a wall and you're good no mater the distance.

It's not purely line of sight. You really can get far away enough to be okay. But you'd be much better off breaking LOS, yes, because it reaches really loving far.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

whenever I get owned by junkrat's death grenades i just laugh because it's usually my fault and it's always funny

Psikotik
Dec 17, 2002

Random more like ranDUMB
College Slice
Can we have about 10 more pre-made channels setup on the Discord server? I saw 20 people in the LFG channel last night, hopped in and only 1 person (who was already grouped) was talking. If you make/get into a group, move out of the LFG channel.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

FAUXTON posted:

Check out the card/computer case and see if it is full of dust bunnies. If not, blast it with air anyway because unless you're running HEPA filtration and regularly clean it out there's gonna be dust. With a 760 that's a good amount of time if it's been untouched since installation, and if she's got any kind of pets it's probably all dusted up and unable to cool properly.

There's a possibility there's a driver issue or your PSU is being really strange but if her computer runs fine after being shut off for a bit and then stays fine until she's playing the game then it's almost certainly a heat issue causing the card to freak out. Did/does she get weird graphics glitches elsewhere? Unconstrained textures, weird shading and staticy poo poo, stuff like that.

Fully cleaned out the PC last night, along with a fresh Windows 10 install and yesterday's released drivers from Nvidia. She doesn't see any other graphics glitches, and has a fine time with every other game we play including Oculus games like Eve: Valkyrie. She tried playing on the lowest settings, still sees the problem. Is there a recommended lightweight app to log the GPU temperatures? Otherwise, I'm out of ideas and she's pulling her hair out.

This weekend a friend will be bringing up his extra 760 to try out for her, if it's the GPU malfunctioning. Otherwise I get a 1080 once they're actually available and she'll get the 780 currently in my dev machine. We were really hoping it would be resolved by release, but if anything it's gotten worse: It used to hard-lock and crash the game, but she could try and get back in and sometimes manage. Now it hardlocks her for long enough where she never makes it back in, and sometimes restarts the PC.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 24, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

The game itself displays the GPU temp if you turn performance stats on.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
No guys, we can't let D.va shoot and move at the same time, that would make her an actual flanker.
Blizzard prefers her to be a useless ball of HP that occasionally gets kills when someone from the front line is running back to get a Health Pack and all their abilities are on cool down and they're not paying attention and it's their first game ever and they're four years old.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: /\ try playing Dva like you'd play Reaper or maybe a flanky McCree, it's fun as hell if you are willing to take the risk in getting up to point blank range because her damage really ramps up. It's good enough to be able to boost into the air at a flying pharah and kill her as you're falling past her.

Atoramos posted:

Fully cleaned out the PC last night, along with a fresh Windows 10 install and yesterday's released drivers from Nvidia. She doesn't see any other graphics glitches, and has a fine time with every other game we play including Oculus games like Eve: Valkyrie. She tried playing on the lowest settings, still sees the problem. Is there a recommended lightweight app to log the GPU temperatures? Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

I think stuff like Rainmeter is good for that but a) I haven't used it in more than 10 years and b) I'm not sure about logging, just real time monitoring. However, if i doesn't glitch out while running stuff on the Rift then it almost certainly can't be heat since I'm almost positive OW is less intensive than Rift stuff by a substantial margin, not to mention OW is insanely well optimized (I was running it on my old starcraft 2-era machine with a solid 60+ fps albeit with low settings) for not-so-new hardware. I don't know offhand how to roll back a graphics driver install with the Geforce Experience software they use now but I'd give that a whirl, with a few other people seeing issues under the new drivers that might be it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 24, 2016

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

No guys, we can't let D.va shoot and move at the same time, that would make her an actual flanker.
Blizzard prefers her to be a useless ball of HP that occasionally gets kills when someone from the front line is running back to get a Health Pack and all their abilities are on cool down and they're not paying attention and it's their first game ever and they're four years old.

Lol if you don't know how to properly flank with DVa

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

I think stuff like Rainmeter is good for that but a) I haven't used it in more than 10 years and b) I'm not sure about logging, just real time monitoring. However, if i doesn't glitch out while running stuff on the Rift then it almost certainly can't be heat since I'm almost positive OW is less intensive than Rift stuff by a substantial margin, not to mention OW is insanely well optimized (I was running it on my old starcraft 2-era machine with a solid 60+ fps albeit with low settings) for not-so-new hardware. I don't know offhand how to roll back a graphics driver install with the Geforce Experience software they use now but I'd give that a whirl, with a few other people seeing issues under the new drivers that might be it.

Nah, this issue was around when she first tried playing in Closed Beta, so she's seen it on numerous drivers now. And considering I'm playing on a computer with the same card in it, I'm super confused.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I realized why McCree is so fail - he's the only cahracter in the game without any mobility abilties or self heals so to make up for it he has an instant 1v1 fight win button combo. He is a fraud, and his belt buckle is probably the worst art direction choice in the game. I have no respect for him

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Thor-Stryker posted:

Yeah you're right bitching about it instead of getting better is the way to go.

net cafe scandal posted:

I realized why McCree is so fail - he's the only cahracter in the game without any mobility abilties or self heals so to make up for it he has an instant 1v1 fight win button combo. He is a fraud, and his belt buckle is probably the worst art direction choice in the game. I have no respect for him

The BAMF belt buckle is literally the lamest, cheesiest, thing Blizzard has ever done.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Atoramos posted:

Nah, this issue was around when she first tried playing in Closed Beta, so she's seen it on numerous drivers now. And considering I'm playing on a computer with the same card in it, I'm super confused.

Oh that's strange, then. I guess wait and see with the friend's card. Bummer.

fadam posted:

The BAMF belt buckle is literally the greatest, best thing Blizzard has ever done.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

McCree is the second-most-picked hero in competitive games behind Lucio. His shift is a 'mobility ability', and the BAMF buckle is awesome. You have bad taste, sorry net cafe!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Atoramos posted:

McCree is the second-most-picked hero in competitive games behind Lucio. His shift is a 'mobility ability', and the BAMF buckle is awesome. You have bad taste, sorry net cafe!

Im aware that hes extremely good, and his roll is not what Id consider a mobilitya bility, or to rephrase a find health pack button.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Mei is hilarious. She has just enough health to be super annoying and I love putting up a wall to block an exit so everyone has to funnel out of the other right into my team.

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol if you don't know how to properly flank with DVa

This. People that say D.va is bad are bad. She may not make the pro teams, but who the gently caress cares. Pro teams are toxic. D.va can clean house in a pub game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

My favorite gunslingers from western movies all wore retarded Hot Topic accessories. I hope that in the Dark Tower movie Roland wears a F.B.I - Female Body Inspector shirt.

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

This. People that say D.va is bad are bad. She may not make the pro teams, but who the gently caress cares. Pro teams are toxic. D.va can clean house in a pub game.

Settle down Beavis.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

fadam posted:

My favorite gunslingers from western movies all wore retarded Hot Topic accessories. I hope that in the Dark Tower movie Roland wears a F.B.I - Female Body Inspector shirt.

Settle down Beavis.

I mean Dark Tower has a different kinda feel than a game where the burning peg-leg man blows himself across a map to fight a moon-gorilla

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I just DVa-charged that robot with the shield off a cliff
he, in turn, did his robot shield charge back to me at the same time and we both plummeted to our deaths together

GOTY, all years

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

net cafe scandal posted:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Playing solo expect to see a lot of "Too many snipers" at character selection. I'm glad there's no penalty for quitting, because I'll bounce around lobbies all day trying to find a non-horrible team comp.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

net cafe scandal posted:

:agreed:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

S76 has a godlike design.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Daric posted:

Mei is hilarious. She has just enough health to be super annoying and I love putting up a wall to block an exit so everyone has to funnel out of the other right into my team.

If you're playing Mei start timing your walls so you let one person slip through before blocking the path; it's always hilarious seeing someone try to backpedal only to hit The Wall and die horribly when your team opens on them.

This goes double for any Reinhardt/Hog Mercy combo. Isolate the tank from the healer and go to town. :getin:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hackan Slash posted:

Playing solo expect to see a lot of "Too many snipers" at character selection. I'm glad there's no penalty for quitting, because I'll bounce around lobbies all day trying to find a non-horrible team comp.

2+ widowmakers is how I know the next 5 minutes of my life are going to suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

When a round "clicks", this is the most fun I have had in a game in a long, long time.

When you're getting clowned by other, better players and in addition your team is borderline incapable, it's the most rage-inducing experience ever.

Holy poo poo, I'm afraid I am going to pop a vessel today.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 19, 2022