Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Skyl3lazer posted:

e; WEREBEAR

Biggest flavor text downgrade in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Nibble posted:

Biggest flavor text downgrade in history

Yeah....

e; I hope there are no legendary creatures in the entire set, or like, just mangara so Karakas is a totally weird limited pull.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I had this weird feeling they would pick either karakas or rishidan port.. so of course they picked the card I already have. I hope this doesn't mean no port reprint.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Skyl3lazer posted:

Karakas at Mythic. Wowzers! poo poo judge foil art.

OK. There is one card I need.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

mcmagic posted:

They wouldn't put it in there without some common and uncommon ways to interact with the yard.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I had this weird feeling they would pick either karakas or rishidan port.. so of course they picked the card I already have. I hope this doesn't mean no port reprint.

Yeah the chances of Port just went down a ton but no reprint there would shock me since it's the most expensive card on MtGO. Port is literally 50$ more expensive than Black Lotus.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

BJPaskoff posted:

EMA spoiler season seems worse than usual for people not seeing if something was posted yet.

Every Magic facebook group I'm in is like this as well.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I for one wouldn't mind owning a Karakas for Not A Buck 20.

I feel like it was worth more than that. I might be thinking of Tabernacle though.

Granted since Karakas got reprinted Mana Drain is too right?

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Count Bleck posted:

I feel like it was worth more than that. I might be thinking of Tabernacle though.

Can confirm Tabernacle is more than A Buck 20.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

FYI - Collectors numbers have officially made zen fetch reprints impossible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Count Bleck posted:

Granted since Karakas got reprinted Mana Drain is too right?

Karakas is at it's high now. Tabernacle is like 600+

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Does anything besides Miracles play Top?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

odiv posted:

My Melek EDH deck. :)

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Every EDH deck

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

odiv posted:

(Not always and never as 4x afaik but...)

ANT, Painter, a bunch of vintage decks?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

odiv posted:

Nic Fit, ANT, and Doomsday all play it, but Miracles is the reason it's maintained its price for so long.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

odiv posted:

Huge EDH and Cube staple, plus solid play in Vintage. Moreso with Mentor decks recently too.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ANT in sideboard, Painter main, 12post main, and there's some other smattering of legacy decks. Many vintage decks play it since it combos really well with Mentor, and Mentor is the main win con at the moment.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Okay, okay, Jesus! :P

I took it out of my cube-in-progress for gameplay reasons. Speaking of my cube-in-progress hopefully EMA gives me the means and push to finally finish it (and then never play it because the local community is small :( ).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I don't think Top being in this set means that it can't also be banned in Legacy soon.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

I don't think Top being in this set means that it can't also be banned in Legacy soon.

This is true but it points more towards them banning Terminus (if they don't want the deck to be dead dead) or Counterbalance (otherwise) as the bans they're looking at if they ban anything from Miracles.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Jenx posted:

Man the timberwatch elf and the wirewood symbiote look loving lame.

No, WotC, you don't get to have your cake and eat it. Isn't the whole loving point of a rigid visual and style guide, that must be obeyed always, to have a uniform and identifiable visual identity for a specific type of character/creature/place/whatever? Well guess what - we know what a Wirewood symbiote looks like and we know what a Timberwatch elf looks like, because Wizards have made drat sure that their artists all got the memo.

Except gently caress that, let's slap some together some smudgy CGI poo poo and print it on a card.

It's basically the same poo poo that MaRo does when he repeats one of his many little rules about game design in Magic, and then promptly disregards them because reasons.

On a positive note - Hey, a reprint of top! Art looks sweet!

The original symbiote art is bad and Grinch elves are dumb

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

This is true but it points more towards them banning Terminus (if they don't want the deck to be dead dead) or Counterbalance (otherwise) as the bans they're looking at if they ban anything from Miracles.

Either of those cards being banned would be super dumb. If you want to play either of them without Top, go right ahead. Top is the reason that deck sucks. (And for gameplay reasons, not power level.)

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Sensei's Divining Top is what Magic should be about.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

Either of those cards being banned would be super dumb. If you want to play either of them without Top, go right ahead. Top is the reason that deck sucks. (And for gameplay reasons, not power level.)

Banning Terminus makes the hard control deck actually have a weakness to aggressive decks, as it's supposed to. Make them play actual 4 mana sorcery wraths if they want board wipes, not instant speed 1 mana ones.

e; also confirmed is that these are normal foil packs, not MM2 garbage cardboard ones.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
ban people that play miracles slowly imo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Banning Terminus makes the hard control deck actually have a weakness to aggressive decks, as it's supposed to. Make them play actual 4 mana sorcery wraths if they want board wipes, not instant speed 1 mana ones.

e; also confirmed is that these are normal foil packs, not MM2 garbage cardboard ones.

But without Top it's actually hard to set up like that. Terminus is legal in Modern BTW and sees zero play. Because, Top.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Yes, they are.

That's not my point.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

mcmagic posted:

But without Top it's actually hard to set up like that. Terminus is legal in Modern BTW and sees zero play. Because, Top.

Yes but as we just discussed, Top sees play in other decks as well, and if you ban top you'll still see the top-like effects see play (The blue and green enchantments are the ones I'm thinking of).

Sure they're not as powerful, but they'll take just as long logistically.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Skyl3lazer posted:

Yes but as we just discussed, Top sees play in other decks as well, and if you ban top you'll still see the top-like effects see play (The blue and green enchantments are the ones I'm thinking of).

Sure they're not as powerful, but they'll take just as long logistically.

Not really. It's a one of in SOME Ant decks. thats about it. And no, those enchantments don't take as long. They are once, on your upkeep, not over and over again on both your and your opponenets turns.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 24, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oh look we have a slightly better Plains at mythic. Also the new Elf/Symbiote art and people whining about Top at rare or in general are all stupid. Enforce slow play rules and all the problems will be solved.

Someone post when Port is eliminated from being in the set so I can completely stop caring about it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Oh look we have a slightly better Plains at mythic. Also the new Elf/Symbiote art and people whining about Top at rare or in general are all stupid. Enforce slow play rules and it all the problems will be solved.

Someone post when Port is eliminated from being in the set so I can completely stop caring about it.

That is never going to happen at big events at enough of a rate to make Miracles stop being miserable.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

i'm glad all the cool old cards are being reprinted with terrible new art so the value of the old cards will remain high

Basically this. Every single art has been laughably bad, after the joy that was SOI art.

The set looks like it'll be cool too draft though, if the other masters sets have been any indication

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

suicidesteve posted:

Oh look we have a slightly better Plains at mythic. Also the new Elf/Symbiote art and people whining about Top at rare or in general are all stupid. Enforce slow play rules and all the problems will be solved.

223-240 remaining for Rishadan Port.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Jenx posted:

Yes, they are.

That's not my point.

The style guides make sense in a block for world building purposes, that doesn't apply for reprint sets. The world of Scourge is long gone and the names are generic enough to apply to anywhere; it makes more sense than having a mix of green and non-green elves.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Barry Shitpeas posted:

You are objectively wrong, the old symbiote was cool and good, the new symbiote looks like it's from som block.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Sensei's Divining Top is what Magic should be about.

This

gently caress the field, it's a game of hands

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also that new sensei's divining top looks like a hookah

Take this mouthpiece from my hand, grasshopper.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

This

gently caress the field, it's a game of hands

I agree, ban creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Man bad flavor text on Werebear, and no flavor text on Karakas, you need to up your game WotC

• Locked thread