Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

what was goon kartling and will there be more?

Must be a few years back now, but someone suggested the UK goons meet up for karting.

Despite living in Milton Keynes, I'd lost my job the week or two beforehand and couldn't make it.

If it happens again at MK, I'd definitely be up for it as I moved closer to the circuit (it's practically a mile away from here, I run past it every weekend)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I live in the states now so won't be able to make it, but goon-karting was great.

This is where I went in Portugal and it was aces.

http://www.kip.pt

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

JFairfax posted:

I live in the states now so won't be able to make it, but goon-karting was great.

I'm back in the States now. You're not in the Bay Area by chance, are you?
The Goon Karting meet was a blast. Seconding the call for the timesheet if anyone still has it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I am in Chi town.

No idea where my time sheet is.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

FYI here's a video from a practice night at the start of the season. Nice little battle with another newbie.

https://youtu.be/OUa7WHJUK00

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hey let's just gently caress up A Fun Historic Track for no reason

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Spaced God posted:

They always change that first chicane every 10 years or so

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Hold on, they are making it faster

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
All chicanes replaced with quick sweepers? Yes please. I'm all for history, but gently caress this part of history, it was terrible.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

"hurr lets put another chicane in after an even longer stretch."

How does this solve a single loving thing?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Diet Crack posted:

"hurr lets put another chicane in after an even longer stretch."

How does this solve a single loving thing?

If that pic in the article is the proposal then it looks a whole lot like the 80s layout

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
lol

https://twitter.com/F1/status/735213809095184384

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
F1 needs fake engine noise to spice up the show

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33937.html

Everyone in F1 is a fraud now

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
:siren: :siren: :siren: JUST INCREASE THE FUEL FLOW LIMIT and they can bring the RPMs higher and make more noise. Speakers in the sidepods? Thats shameful.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
McLaren will Top 5 at Monaco this weekend.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

McLaren will Top 5 at Monaco this weekend.

Rosberg, Big Sebs, Nando podium. Calling it now

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Rosberg, Big Sebs, Nando podium. Calling it now

I'll back that. Not even trying to be ironic/edgy

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nico just failed to beat the winning streak, I suspect he will now fail to beat the Monaco winning streak as well. Nico has never been a lucky man.

Lewis, Ricciado, Kimi with Nico out with an explody engine, and seb out having been Verstappened in a first lap incident which also takes out Grosjean.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

daslog posted:

F1 needs fake engine noise to spice up the show

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns33937.html

Everyone in F1 is a fraud now

Sounds like something BMW does to make their turbo cars sound more "authentic"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

learnincurve posted:

Nico just failed to beat the winning streak, I suspect he will now fail to beat the Monaco winning streak as well. Nico has never been a lucky man.

Lewis, Ricciado, Kimi with Nico out with an explody engine, and seb out having been Verstappened in a first lap incident which also takes out Grosjean.

Excuse me, but Ricciardo's destiny this season is to finish fourth or not at all.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Haas will take the win this weekend, which convinces Hamilton to seek American citizenship. Merc drops him in 2017 and poaches Vettel, who goes on to dominate with the first perfect season.

After a sabbatical, Hamilton joins Haas in 2018 and takes the fight to the weakening Mercedes. A tough season sees Hamilton taking the WDC at the final race, making him the first gay African-American to win the championship.

Toto Wolff commits suicide in a bunker and Lauda escapes to South America.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Is that the one where Coulthard borrowed Michael's helmet cause his kept fogging up?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Remember that stupid mid-wing? I do.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

The engine is still running?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

learnincurve posted:

Nico has never been a lucky man.

What the gently caress? He is sat in the fastest car on the grid even though he is probably not in the top 6 fastest drivers. That makes him lucky never mind the fact his Mrs is smoking hot and he looks like gollum.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

thegasman2000 posted:

What the gently caress? He is sat in the fastest car on the grid even though he is probably not in the top 6 fastest drivers. That makes him lucky never mind the fact his Mrs is smoking hot and he looks like gollum.

She didn't lucky she meant talented. Nico has never been talented.

like mark webber

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

JFairfax posted:

I have reviewed the footage and firstly your a monster! Not leaving room on the inside of bends for the other drivers! Secondly you need to spend more time on the throttle and less on the brakes.

In all seriousness this was great fun to watch. I love karting and would go more often if it wasn't £££

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Dubs posted:

She didn't lucky she meant talented. Nico has never been talented.

like mark webber

I'm not Nico's greatest fan, but comparing him to a shithouse like Webber is just mean.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Ok so Monaco is one of the gently caress all races broadcast free to air in australia. What do I need to know and expect worst thread?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
"It's imposable to overtake at Monaco" M brundle before the race. "Dan dare last of the late breakers" M Brundle when someone manages it with a suicide move.

It will be either be a boring parade which in hindsight you wish you had turned off after the first lap, or random cars will break down or end up in a wall bringing out multiple safety cars so you end up with 11 cars crossing the line, and people who should not be scoring points ending up in fifth.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Another Bulshit Bingo Buzzwords phrase is 'jewel in the crown [of F1]'

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did you know Martin Brundle once ran back for the team car at Monaco?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

NtotheTC posted:

Goon karting was great. I remember finishing my qualifying lap and thinking "That's got to be top 5" and then being 15th out of 30 or whatever, 3+ seconds off the pace. Does anyone still have the paper slip from that?

Yep I've got it, I'll edit out the names and post.

If anyone wants the full thing, PM.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

what was goon kartling and will there be more?

A bunch of us went to Daytona in Milton Keynes 3 years ago for a 40 minute race against 30 karts.

I don't remember all the names but I took 2nd and MadCow was 4th.

enri posted:

Must be a few years back now, but someone suggested the UK goons meet up for karting.

Despite living in Milton Keynes, I'd lost my job the week or two beforehand and couldn't make it.

If it happens again at MK, I'd definitely be up for it as I moved closer to the circuit (it's practically a mile away from here, I run past it every weekend)

I'm only 30 mins away, I'll totally turn up again.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
(you have a couple of names in the top section)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yep but I know the top guy wasn't in our group so gently caress him and the track record and best of the day are not from this race, or even in remotely similar karts so gently caress them too :)

Thanks though.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Dudley posted:

Annoyingly, I'm currently an unemployed bum again, but not for too long yay. I'm game for it though once cash flow resumes. How many where there last time and how was it done? private party or arrive and drive style? and can anyone remember a ballpark figure for how much it cost? :)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

What we did then now costs £70, and was 10 minutes practice/qualifying and then a 40 minute race you could all book the same session individually online or by phone so long as we do it before it fills up (We'd pick one that's got room though, it's fairly easy they don't often get the full 33).

I think we had about 10 of the 30 in that race in our group.

Then you just turn up 30 minutes before. They'll lend you helmet, suit, gloves for free if you don't have them, you can wear normal trainers.

At this level the only requirements are "Be 16 or older, don't be drunk and don't have serious heart or back issues).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

or random cars will break down or end up in a wall bringing out multiple safety cars so you end up with 11 cars crossing the line, and people who should not be scoring points ending up in fifth.

Fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Dudley posted:

Yep I've got it, I'll edit out the names and post.

If anyone wants the full thing, PM.

A bunch of us went to Daytona in Milton Keynes 3 years ago for a 40 minute race against 30 karts.

I don't remember all the names but I took 2nd and MadCow was 4th.

Cripes! I live in Lincolnshire, that's a long drive away.... Even for carting.

• Locked thread