Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Harrow posted:

I suppose so, but it's also not like the treasure hunts are difficult, or particularly obscure. And the Witcher gear also looks the coolest, so even from a casual point of view I feel encouraged to use it over everything else.

The game needs to be playable and have enough loot if you choose to do nothing but straight main story missions. My first play though, I didn't even craft witcher gear until right before the battle of Kaer Morhen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

MikeC posted:

The game needs to be playable and have enough loot if you choose to do nothing but straight main story missions. My first play though, I didn't even craft witcher gear until right before the battle of Kaer Morhen.

You can use gear you grab off the ground to outfit yourself that way, if you were beelining it then the armor recipes wouldn't help because you wouldn't be gathering mats and stuff. The main quest doesn't pay well

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Im lvl 21

I have not been to Skellige

I have not found a single piece of witcher gear though I have the blueprints for a bunch of superior witcher gear

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Double-tap dodge is not either-or affair. I think I stumbled on it just by accident back then :haw:

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

hopterque posted:

The first thing I tell anyone starting the game is to switch the dodge and roll keys, so dodge is on space and roll is on alt.

Never once used Alt to dodge, just double tap a direction.

Deakul posted:

I've got 180 hours in it using M&KB, works great for me!

Same.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
The game works fine M&KB, my first playthrough was with them.

But I enjoyed it a lot more with a controller. Felt more natural.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I bind target and heavy attack to my alt mouse buttons. I wasn't using target until I bound it better, and you kind of should use the target feature. I also wouldn't be using heavy attacks half as much.

Having dodge on alt makes me mash my windows key, so i tend to avoid using it. I didn't know about doubletaps so i might use dodges again.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I thought for sure I'd have to play this game on controller (esp. after how janky Assassin of Kings felt to me) but unlike other third-person action games I played like Sleeping Dogs or Dark Souls this handled M+KB really well. It's primarily how the game can tweak how Geralt responds to WASD movement, but in general the whole thing does feel very adaptable to the basic computer controls.

When I finally decide to get back to the DLC or play a New Game+ I'll probably try out the controller layout.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Bluhman posted:

I thought for sure I'd have to play this game on controller (esp. after how janky Assassin of Kings felt to me) but unlike other third-person action games I played like Sleeping Dogs or Dark Souls this handled M+KB really well. It's primarily how the game can tweak how Geralt responds to WASD movement, but in general the whole thing does feel very adaptable to the basic computer controls.

When I finally decide to get back to the DLC or play a New Game+ I'll probably try out the controller layout.

I actually beat Sleeping Dogs on M+KB and I had to switch to controller for this one.

Like, the combat is better with a gamepad, sure, but even the inventory/character poo poo is less of a hassle with it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Is the real life version of gwent a massive waste of time where 2 out of 3 players you're up against have two cards that each do 10 damage and cannot be fogged, while you have literally nothing, or get a couple rares for decks you don't have enough cards to play?

Just bought HoS and signed up for the gwent code thing, anyone know how likely I am to get a code and what it costs? Definitely looking at the elf/monster deck, Nilfgaard having passives like 'always wins on a tie' 'your king doesn't work' and 'i can use your cards' is a little too retarded for me to laugh at the joke.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Scrolling through an impossible list of crafting poo poo I don't care about is definitely a valid point. But eventually I sort of dealt with it by just learning to collapse stuff en masse. Actually now I wonder if I'd be able to find a setting or mod that would start with those crafting/alchemy options pre-collapsed.

At least for me, Sleeping Dogs' problem was that the keybinds for very time-sensitive actions such as countering or grabbing were all bound to pretty indistinct keys. I kept getting my Cs and Vs mixed up. For the most part W3 keeps that to one basic 'keyboard' key (Q for signs), and three different-sized function keys for the big time-sensitive stuff (Shift, Alt, Space) and otherwise just lists the potable hotkeys onscreen.

Bluhman fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 23, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I just did the Whispering Hillock. For one, gently caress that werewolf dude. I don't remember it being that hard, but i haven't bothered to upgrade my witching sword, i'm playing on the 3rd hardest difficulty, and i had to basically get lucky enough to kill it before it began its healing.

Anyway, knowing what happens in the later dlc quests and whatnot, I set the hillock spirit free every time, but I'm wondering what other people do there? I There's a lot of morally ambiguous stuff there, but I can't stand the idea that those kids end up with the crones more than i care about an insane tree spirit being freed.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Crones kill kids but even though their local 'law' is pretty tough with all the ear cutting and whatnot - under their jurisdiction local people are protected from monsters and bandit raids/army during these hosed up times. That's at least...something I guess. The tree spirit on the other hand kills everything including kids just because, there are no rules to interacting with it, it has no interest in protecting local people from monsters or war, it's pure destruction.

On a more personal note though The Crones are a danger to Ciri while the tree spirit doesn't give a poo poo about her which makes the Crones' death better for Geralt.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
On the other hand, that village is only able to survive through sacrificing their young men and women to keep the magical oak tree alive. They're only protected in the sense cattle bound for the slaughterhouse are protected from predators.

So yes, it's a pretty good allegory for the state.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

hemophilia posted:

I just did the Whispering Hillock. For one, gently caress that werewolf dude. I don't remember it being that hard, but i haven't bothered to upgrade my witching sword, i'm playing on the 3rd hardest difficulty, and i had to basically get lucky enough to kill it before it began its healing.

Anyway, knowing what happens in the later dlc quests and whatnot, I set the hillock spirit free every time, but I'm wondering what other people do there? I There's a lot of morally ambiguous stuff there, but I can't stand the idea that those kids end up with the crones more than i care about an insane tree spirit being freed.

I like that quest because it's a tough choice where the consequences aren't immediately visible. I always kill the tree heart, knowing that later I can kill the crones. Everyone involved is poo poo, but Geralt got involved to find Anna and that seems the clearest path to finding her, and it does end up that way. What do you mean when you say later dlc quests? Are there more consequences that become apparent with the big DLC releases?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Dongattack posted:

I'm a bit late to this, but in HoS there is a new merchant/enchanter guy that can make it so your armor counts as light/medium/heavy no matter what it originally was. I used that in my old sign build with Ursine chest and then random signboosting witcher gear in the other slots and i was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the sign power cap. Super expensive to build up that merchant to that point tho.

Thanks for this info! I was just about to start HoS, and I respecced my postgame Geralt into signs, and I really didn't like the look of Mastercrafted Griffon Armor. I'm on PS4 so I couldn't mod it, this is the next best thing for sure.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP-ZsLYGJfQ

New trailer, I helped with this one. (but did not pick the music so leave me alone ok)

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Good trailer, I don't mind the music myself.
poo poo, I'd love it if they made another tribute album of a bunch of metal bands doing Witcher-inspired stuff. :black101:

Also, whoa, were those spectral hounds?!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Huh-

quote:

New trailer, I helped with this one. (but did not pick the music so leave me alone ok)

*reluctantly puts down the poo poo bucket*

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm ready for some Geralt of Belmont goodness.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The music is fine for most of the trailer, but the first heavy part makes no sense at all with the idyllic shots of the city and I am surprised someone thought that was a good idea.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It's so idyllic its hardcore.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP-ZsLYGJfQ

I was hiking at night and saw someone figured out a much cheaper marketing idea than even editing YouTube videos

edit

Also what armor is that from 5-8 seconds in?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

extra stout posted:

Also what armor is that from 5-8 seconds in?

not-geralt armor

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Deakul posted:

poo poo, I'd love it if they made another tribute album of a bunch of metal bands doing Witcher-inspired stuff. :black101:
I'm a metal nutso and would veto it. I swear that Vader track on the first Witcher game tribute album was their worst song ever, and the thematic elements of the songs hardly ever complemented the drama and emotional complexities that make the Witcher books and games so special. Behemoth might be worth including but their output has gotten a bit too pretentious for me and I'm a sucker for sappy bombastic poo poo. Graveland may be the most musically appropriate of Polish metal bands for the Witcher series given their (ok, really Rob's) pagan and folk stylistic inclinations but their brush with the NSBM scene and the continuing comically asinine imagery may be what keeps that crew a Bad Idea.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Deakul posted:

Also, whoa, were those spectral hounds?!

While looking for an ensiferum song one day I found this video of a good song laid over the witcher tv show and lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDk6z2qdvI4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Metal and electric guitar go pretty good with the Witcher, but then I'm the guy who likes the Witcher 2 soundtrack with it's heavy bass soundtrack.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ah gently caress wrong video, I meant the blue steel looking armor from the other vid, nice trailer though!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm a metal nutso and would veto it. I swear that Vader track on the first Witcher game tribute album was their worst song ever, and the thematic elements of the songs hardly ever complemented the drama and emotional complexities that make the Witcher books and games so special. Behemoth might be worth including but their output has gotten a bit too pretentious for me and I'm a sucker for sappy bombastic poo poo. Graveland may be the most musically appropriate of Polish metal bands for the Witcher series given their (ok, really Rob's) pagan and folk stylistic inclinations but their brush with the NSBM scene and the continuing comically asinine imagery may be what keeps that crew a Bad Idea.

Uh, this is the epitome of all Witcher inspired music, sorry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HislA9bJ1xg

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Deakul posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HislA9bJ1xg

That was so edgy I need a bandaid for my soul.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Cool, looks like they've brought barghests back too. Getting really excited about this expansion.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I can only hope that the trailer music is just for the trailer and has nothing to do with the expansion because it pretty much ruins it. I don't get why CDPR did it when the main game has such a great soundtrack, how is this going to sell more copies of the expansion? It's no big deal, it's just a trailer and I'm guessing this is some higher-up's favorite band or something and he needed to to show everybody how awesome it is.

Otherwise the footage in the trailer is pretty dope but I won't be sharing it.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Deakul posted:

That song's about as immersive for the Witcher series as Yakkety Sax or Westside Connection. Folk influenced metal bands like Negura Bunget or earlier Aeternus (...And So the Night Became has 12 string guitar I believe) offer a lot more dynamics if you wanted to metal-ify the soundtrack on the basis of Dandelion existing in the world and to give space for acoustic instruments. I mean, if you're thinking a straightforward tribute rather than soundtrack then it's appropriate to have ABBA write a song about Geralt as it is for a metal band to do the same or for someone to fart out the final fight music because who gives a drat about appropriateness if it's a tribute?

OAquinas posted:

That was so edgy I need a bandaid for my soul.
So edgy it cut my 14 year old wrists... the wrong way.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Palpek posted:

I can only hope that the trailer music is just for the trailer and has nothing to do with the expansion because it pretty much ruins it. I don't get why CDPR did it when the main game has such a great soundtrack, how is this going to sell more copies of the expansion? It's no big deal, it's just a trailer and I'm guessing this is some higher-up's favorite band or something and he needed to to show everybody how awesome it is.

Otherwise the footage in the trailer is pretty dope but I won't be sharing it.

This new trailer? It's the new poo poo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Levantine posted:

I like that quest because it's a tough choice where the consequences aren't immediately visible. I always kill the tree heart, knowing that later I can kill the crones. Everyone involved is poo poo, but Geralt got involved to find Anna and that seems the clearest path to finding her, and it does end up that way. What do you mean when you say later dlc quests? Are there more consequences that become apparent with the big DLC releases?

For some reason I thought the quest where you confront the crones was DLC. My bad!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crappy Jack posted:

This new trailer? It's the new poo poo.

Hey now, that Dragon Age Origins trailer was hilarious for how badly it misrepresented the game. So naturally Bioware did a 180 with the sequel to make it more in line with their "badass" approach to Dark Fantasy.

Besides, the best Witcher inspired music is by Beltaine, obviously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i7g7xeLGi0

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 24, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

WoodrowSkillson posted:

While looking for an ensiferum song one day I found this video of a good song laid over the witcher tv show and lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDk6z2qdvI4

That show looks awful

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey now, that Dragon Age Origins trailer was hilarious for how badly it misrepresented the game. So naturally Bioware did a 180 with the sequel to make it more in line with their "badass" approach to Dark Fantasy.

Besides, the best Witcher inspired music is by Beltaine, obviously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i7g7xeLGi0

On the bright side, it did lead to this amazing edit, which is honestly one of my favorite game trailers ever, for a game that tonally never existed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yTVjUY9wMg

Orv
May 4, 2011

MikeC posted:

That show looks awful

You think you've got a good handle on how bad it is, but up that by a couple thousand percent and you might be in the ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Orv posted:

You think you've got a good handle on how bad it is, but up that by a couple thousand percent and you might be in the ballpark.

This comment only makes me want to see it more. Compelled to see a witcher train wreck.