Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

SEED's pretty alright.

There's much worse.

I'd classify it as mediocre.

Which is still better than terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I feel mediocrity is worse than terrible. The latter can be interesting, the former usually is not.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kanos posted:

I dunno, the sheer level of spiteful knife-twisting that Char pulled with Garma's death is pretty breathtaking. Kycilia died in a surprised instant.

Ever read the manga where he and young Char become stand up comedians in that alt reality parody deal?

Remembering Garma's last moments reading those things is super drat weird.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

I feel mediocrity is worse than terrible. The latter can be interesting, the former usually is not.

Eh, I don't feel that applies in SEED"s case. SEED absolutely fails in interesting ways and was tremendously influential instead of merely forgettable. It's a strictly average show but it's average in a weird way where it mixes all kinds of different things both good at bad rather than just being a low-effort failure.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, I don't feel that applies in SEED"s case. SEED absolutely fails in interesting ways and was tremendously influential instead of merely forgettable. It's a strictly average show but it's average in a weird way where it mixes all kinds of different things both good at bad rather than just being a low-effort failure.

To me I feel that most of its interesting bits are stuff easily discussed outside of the realm of the show, like how it managed to attract a huge audience outside of the gunpla-buying demographic for instance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

To me I feel that most of its interesting bits are stuff easily discussed outside of the realm of the show, like how it managed to attract a huge audience outside of the gunpla-buying demographic for instance.

I think it does some interesting things.

Presenting the Zeon-alike organization as a legitimate minority class being oppressed and who are not inherently an enemy to be defeated is interesting.
The idea (before it got kind of nullified) of having suits that are inherently pretty crappy with beam weapons being a big deal and energy conservation being an actual factor in combat is, again, interesting if not well executed.
Actually tackling the idea that an inherently 'superior' race exists and that would freak people out and cause issues instead of the sort of handwaving you get with a lot of Newtype-alikes is something that is, again, a pretty interesting concept and occasionally they do interesting things with it.
There's a lot of character beats which are kind of interesting and while I'm not fond of any of the overall arcs I think there are interesting twists to some of them.

It's not a great show by any means but when it fails hardest it tends to fail at doing something interesting (or fails because it is trying to pander to the audience too hard but that's most Gundam shows these days.) Destiny is a lot more of a trainwreck but even in Destiny's case it has some interesting ideas and occasional strong scenes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just can't get over how goddamn ugly the show looks.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Also, Space Whale. Can't forget Space Whale!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just can't get over how goddamn ugly the show looks.

Word. Easily the ugliest show in the entire franchise. At least 0079 has that quirky Seventies charm.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is kind of telling that the characters in SEED most fun to watch (Flay, Natarle and Rau) are ones who conflict with the protagonist and all end up dying. SEED had some good things going for it but Kira & Lacus ruin everything they touch. See: Cagalli.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Seed and Destiny is pretty much the poster boy for good ideas, terrible execution.

I do love a good amount of the mech designs from SEED though. Freedom is one of my favorite mid season upgrades.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Seed's mech design is too plastic for me. :shrug:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Word. Easily the ugliest show in the entire franchise. At least 0079 has that quirky Seventies charm.

I could say that SEED's art hasn't aged well, but even when it was airing I thought it was garish and plastic-looking.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SEED really just did not look good, though it had some occasional bits of good uniform design which is more than I can say for Gundam loving Age.

On the other hand Age at least didn't have the early garish CG coloring or loving Hirai so it's a bad contest all around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

AGE also had the Vagan mecha designs and I think a lot of those genuinely looked really good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Outside of a few exceptions early 2000s digipaint aged like roadkill in the sun.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It's sort of hilarious how badly the cgi baccue's have aged. Although they didn't look that great back then either.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I rank SEED as a solid mid tier Gundam series. It also has several great moments and a couple really good characters.

That's more than I can say for 00S2, for instance. It and Destiny and 0083 are at the bottom of my Gundam ranking.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I thought the Vagans were terrible, because I don't like goofy animal mechs.

The AGE Federation stuff is amazingly good, though.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I like the Reganner, because it looks like a big robot carrying around a little robot in a baby bjorn

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NikkolasKing posted:

I rank SEED as a solid mid tier Gundam series. It also has several great moments and a couple really good characters.

That's more than I can say for 00S2, for instance. It and Destiny and 0083 are at the bottom of my Gundam ranking.

I wouldn't rank 0083 THAT low. It's more mediocre than anything because the good designs and music make up for the bad protagonists. It's certainly easier to watch than seed. Easier on the eyes especially.
Really not that much Gundam reaches the garbage tier. There's usually enough good stuff to make a show watchable. Unless that show is age.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

I like the Reganner, because it looks like a big robot carrying around a little robot in a baby bjorn

Babby T-rex arms! BABBY T-REX ARMS!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

For me, Late UC remains the top tier in Gundam designs.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

MonsieurChoc posted:

For me, Late UC remains the top tier in Gundam designs.

agreed

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Also, Space Whale. Can't forget Space Whale!
Too bad the show did indeed forget about the space whale for roughly 90% of the runtime.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

What the hell is that goofy beautiful thing?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

PBS Newshour posted:

The Gaitrash from Reconguista in G

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PBS Newshour posted:

A suit from G-Reco, which has the best design in Gundam in recent years. The joke is that G-Reco is supposed to take place in the distant, unspecified future of the UC universe.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

A suit from G-Reco, which has the best worst design in Gundam in recent years. The joke is that G-Reco is supposed to take place in the distant, unspecified future of the UC universe.

:colbert:

Late-mid UC supremacy, before VSBRs and miniaturization of i-field generators and minovsky craft made everything less gloriously huge and tanky.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

By Late UC, I mean from F91 forward. Including my favorite, Gaia Gear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
And you nerds are making a big mistake; the Gaitrash is from the Reguild Century, not Universal. :goonsay:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

The Gaitrash from Reconguista in G

My phone auto suggests but thankfully doesn't autocorrect Gaitrash to "Gay trash" and I have to seriously contemplate my life at this point. :saddowns:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

What a useless shower curtain - you can see right through it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sleeping in it gives that Gundam special powers though.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ippei gyoubu is the best thing to happen to gundam in decades

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

mr. stefan posted:

Ippei gyoubu is the best thing to happen to gundam in decades

:agreed:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So just finished Episode 8 of Zeta, my thoughts so far on the series:
-I am warming up to Kamille much more quickly than I did with Amuro. Quattro is a great new totally original character, mysterious yet oddly familiar. Really though I was surpised about the amount of Char in this so far, like I am glad of it but I expected him to be like Amuro was in this episode, briefly making a cameo appearance in the beginning and showing up later.
-The whole political aspect of the show seems to be much more interesting this time around. Like there are just a lot more motivations going in to this it seems.
-I really like Bright but god it was hilarious how the Titans were being dicks to him by making him reach for the paper and patting him on the back while he was injured.

Jerid is my favorite so far. My favorite characters are always arrogant people who repeatedly fail.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 25, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think we all know where you've seen Quattro before...

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
seriously, when i saw Bernie dressed like that i was waiting for him to pretend to be Quattro, even though the that doesn't make sense chronologically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Raxivace posted:

I think we all know where you've seen Quattro before...

I am pretty sure Char somehow mastermind Bernard's death because he couldn't handle that they share a striking resemblance yet somehow Bernard was cuter.