Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PT6A posted:

Montreal, I assume? That's a special case because their transit system doesn't blow rear end. In Calgary, driving to school cut my commute by a solid half hour.

I'm sorry that Calgary is terrible. My goondolences.

Edit: Yeah, you were right about me being in Montreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Kibayasu posted:

Boy, it sure sucks we elected someone that puts on a cultural hat at an event????

Just look at this guy, gosh

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

THC posted:

Justin Trudeau (J.T.) is going to Japan this week. Did you know that Japan has taxes? Taxes are bad!

The yield on Japanese government bonds is negative. Japan's economy has issues, but the free market* doesn't seem to have a problem with its debt or its deficit.

*:worship:

jm20 posted:

Just look at this guy, gosh

I find Justin Trudeau's support for this racist, misogynistic, homophobic culture to be problematic.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

Slightly Toasted posted:

Days I am glad that nobody cares about Manitoba;

Thanks MB PCs! That sure didn't take long!

Good luck, MB :( . It will be curious to see how the Bell-MTC deal plays out and how that effects the Sask Party's go at selling SaskTel...

:swoon:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Ikantski posted:

Haha, thanks for sharing and I hope you salted the hell out of it. I'm glad they're afraid of Brown and surprised that it sounds like Wynne might run again, I still think she's going to resign before her term is up. Her approval ratings are tanked and the vitriol on her twitter and facebook makes me look downright reasonable.

We were bound to get Harper Harper Harper whether we chose Brown or Flaherty's widow but Canadians have short memories and Harper might not seem so bad after 3 years of this guy.

Jesus Christ this post :cripes:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Dreylad posted:

Jesus Christ this post :cripes:

I'm pretty sure it's a satiric post, it has to be.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a satiric post, it has to be.

Hope springs eternal :unsmith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm sorry that Calgary is terrible. My goondolences.

Edit: Yeah, you were right about me being in Montreal.

It's less Calgary being terrible, and more that Calgary is still above average in terms of transit service for Canada, but still pretty awful. Montreal is an extreme outlier.

Until urban and inter urban transit doesn't suck poo poo, people will want cars, and the best way to address transportation-related emissions is to make transit a less hateful means of getting around. My route to schools required two buses and a train, you can't tell me that's reasonable.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think Montreal is fortunate in that for whatever combination of reasons (on an island, urban planning, controlled/natural growth that promotes it??) it's a very dense city and so it's very walkable. That seems to make a difference in how they built their transit infrastructure. The commuter train kinda sucks, although there really isn't any reason to take it unless you are a commuter so there's that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
P.S. Trudeau is very clever because he somehow convinced his wife to act in such an unlikeable and entitled way that all his detractors have decided to focus on her rather than him. Between this and somehow turning elbowgate into a positive for himself, I suspect he might be a genius.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PT6A posted:

P.S. Trudeau is very clever because he somehow convinced his wife to act in such an unlikeable and entitled way that all his detractors have decided to focus on her rather than him. Between this and somehow turning elbowgate into a positive for himself, I suspect he might be a genius.

Like father like son?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dreylad posted:

I think Montreal is fortunate in that for whatever combination of reasons it's a very dense city and so it's very walkable. That seems to make a difference in how they built their transit infrastructure. The commuter train kinda sucks, although there really isn't any reason to take it unless you are a commuter so there's that.

It's geographically constrained by being on an island, and it's older than most Canadian cities by a huge amount. Cities built before everyone considered car ownership a basic human right tend to be easier to navigate without a car.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

apatheticman posted:

Hey guys,

I have a thought, maybe 4 year election cycles isnt the best time frame for infrastructure planning.

Everyone wants an influx of cash right when they get in and right when the next election cycle comes around.

No one gives a poo poo about operating cost of capital or wants to fund a reasonable sustainment and repair fund and all democratic nations seem to be suffering the same infrastructure rot as everyone else.

Non partisan planning committee for... PM?

Are you saying we need someone to make the trains run on time? :godwin: :downsrim:

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 25, 2016

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Dreylad posted:

I think Montreal is fortunate in that for whatever combination of reasons (on an island, urban planning, controlled/natural growth that promotes it??) it's a very dense city and so it's very walkable. That seems to make a difference in how they built their transit infrastructure. The commuter train kinda sucks, although there really isn't any reason to take it unless you are a commuter so there's that.

Montreal has been a rusting, rotting cesspit of institutional corruption since 1960 (Expo 67 anyone?). Anyone who disagrees is both nostalgic and willfully ignorant; likely seeking fresh Government patronage contracts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/montreal-decline-neil-macdonald-1.3501352

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
In Toronto, everyone took transit except the debutante princesses I met in private school. My friend at Branksome Hall (elite girls school... for families who couldn't afford Havergal) had an angst meltdown because her parents didn't buy her a car for her 16th. She ran with the high-so crap, though, which is entirely her parents' fault. WASP to the core.

In Kamloops, very little is walkable and the transit is terrible. There are no elite schools. If your parents had cars, you generally got your license immediately after turning 16. Kids who lived on ranches had been driving trucks since they were old enough to reach the pedals. My crowd of burn-outs mostly didn't have access, so I did a lot of driving. It's been 20 years and everyone still remembers Slurpee the Station Wagon. Kamloops remains unwalkable and has terrible transit. I had to do a lot of scouting before I found an apartment for my disabled brother where he could get to everything without transferring buses.

Dunno what it's like for kids in Victoria, but the U-Pass for university students keeps a lot of them from needing cars. Transit isn't good but it's not Kamloops-bad either. Even among my 30s-40s crowd the majority don't own cars, and a portion of them only got the Learners Permit. The only motivation to get one is to be able to use car co-ops or rentals: microcondos tend not to come with parking spaces. A solid road bike is a more popular investment.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 07:10 on May 25, 2016

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

vyelkin posted:

Bombardier is a laughing stock when trying to deliver anything on time.

This is still so weird to read each time. Bombardier is well documented of being terribly late and sometimes over budget, from Toronto streetcars to the stuff in Australia. They've been nothing but excellent in supplying Vancouver for 25 years now.

Like in comparison TTC ordered their vehicles in 2009 and they're hoping to have 1/4 of the order by the end of 2016.

Vancouver ordered at the start of 2013 and there have been no problems, they're currently being delivered. We'll probably have all ours running before Toronto finishes receiving their batch.

:iiam: and that's what makes me curious. Is it the technology, the buyer, or whatever makes it possible one city can order trains 3 years later and receive them sooner than another.

TTC uses a "gently caress you we're a special snowflake" track gauge that isn't compatible with anything in North America or Europe, so that requires modifications to accommodate whenever they order, so maybe that's it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I grew up in a relatively poor small farmtown in BC with a single public transit route, so everyone either walked half an hour to school, their parents drove them, or if you were out on the farms a school bus came to pick you up.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hal_2005 posted:

Montreal has been a rusting, rotting cesspit of institutional corruption since 1960 (Expo 67 anyone?). Anyone who disagrees is both nostalgic and willfully ignorant; likely seeking fresh Government patronage contracts.

Strangely enough, both can be true at the same time.

Although the old tramway system was dismantled for dubious reasons long before I was born.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hal_2005 posted:

And yet their transit system still kicks the rear end of Calgary's abortion of a system, so what does that say about Calgary?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hey, here in Hamilton we have city councillors actively trying to sabotage a $1 billion transit investment from the province from no reason other than petty regionalism. It's arguably the stupidest thing I've ever seen in municipal politics.

Terry Whitehead needs to be violently expelled from City Hall, preferably head-first into a brick wall.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Pixelante posted:

In Toronto, everyone took transit except the debutante princesses I met in private school. My friend at Branksome Hall (elite girls school... for families who couldn't afford Havergal) had an angst meltdown because her parents didn't buy her a car for her 16th. She ran with the high-so crap, though, which is entirely her parents' fault. WASP to the core.

Saying "You go to Branksome because you can't afford Havergal" is stupid. Tuition at Branksome is 24k a year, Tuition at Havergal is 30k a year. For people with that kind of money, 6K a year is pocket change.

My girlfriend went to Branksome, she's not entitled in the slightest despite growing up hilariously rich. Her parents are really good people despite being bourgie scum.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

UCC has an NHL-sized and an international-sized hockey rink. They're drat well maintained too, always with a fresh scent of money and privilege.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harper is resigning as an mp. So I think I owe my friend who pointed out he'll stay on til the Duffy trial is over

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
To get to school I had to get on the hateful school bus for a 45 minute ride of terror to the next town over, so obviously I got a jacked up truck. This is why they don't trigger me like you pussies.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

eXXon posted:

UCC has an NHL-sized and an international-sized hockey rink. They're drat well maintained too, always with a fresh scent of money and privilege.

Branksome just built an athletic center that's nicer than the one I had at McMaster. It's loving nuts man.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Gloucester had a vending machine that was filled occasionally and sometimes we didn't have to bring our own paper to write on in class.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Slightly Toasted posted:

Thanks MB PCs! That sure didn't take long!

I find the MB PCs loathsome, but:

- they had nothing to do with the TPP and since the MB PCs are transparently the Chamber of Commerce in legislative form, that they support it is not suprising in the slightest

- the Bell-MTS deal is consistent with the poo poo monopoly that telcos have across Canada, and considering Manitobans tripped over themselves to vote in Pallister, who assisted Filmon in privatizing MTS and was sworn in by the wife of Filmon who is now a chairperson at MTS and is going to cash out huge on the deal with Bell: if any of those PC voting Manitobans are mad about their forthcoming lovely cellphone/internet plans, they loving deserve it and I hope they choke on their new lovely contracts

Also the MB NDP made themselves into a total joke and are equally to blame for the shitshow that will be the next four years as much or probably more than the PCs themselves.

TLDR - Manitoba got the government it deserves.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I miss Harper.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Harper apparently plans to take up the role of public intellectual, giving lectures. Lol

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-may-25-2016-1.3598848/canadian-seniors-still-working-to-make-ends-meet-1.3598884

Canadian seniors still working to make ends meet

A survey by Manulife Bank found that six out of ten Canadians worry about having enough money to retire. (Suzanne Plunkett/Reuters)

A third of Canadians who don't have an employer pension are reaching their mid-sixties without enough in retirement savings, forcing them to keep working.

Guests in this segment:

Stu, age 72
Sheila, age 68

He wont sell their house and insists on working to make ends meet, She is deep into mortgage debt after some failed business adventure. Whats the over under they were conservative voters until life slapped them in the face, eroded all their savings, and now * to have better social services such as pharmacare.

Snide remarks aside, this is why we need better social services.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harper is resigning as an mp. So I think I owe my friend who pointed out he'll stay on til the Duffy trial is over

Goodnight sweet prince

http://i.imgur.com/8THSx2S.gifv

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

http://angusreid.org/premier-approval-may2016/

canadian_politics.png

E: The BC Liberals will still get a majority in the next election.

Whiskey Sours fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 25, 2016

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Whiskey Sours posted:

http://angusreid.org/premier-approval-may2016/

canadian_politics.png

E: The BC Liberals will still get a majority in the next election.

Someone better has to run against them.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Mad Hamish posted:

Hey, here in Hamilton we have city councillors actively trying to sabotage a $1 billion transit investment from the province from no reason other than petty regionalism. It's arguably the stupidest thing I've ever seen in municipal politics.

Terry Whitehead needs to be violently expelled from City Hall, preferably head-first into a brick wall.

Brampton rejected a proposed LRT route connecting Mississauga and Brampton, paid for by the provincial government because they didn't want to "destroy the heritage character" of "historic downtown" Brampton.

All city Councillors should be shot into the sun.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Hal_2005 posted:

It's still the best city in Canada, which isn't a high bar, but given what its had to overcome I'd say that's pretty impressive!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

Good Wednesday morning to you…

…And a happy anniversary to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who’s taking the day off to spend it with his wife of 11 years, Sophie. Yesterday, Japan’s prime minister put heat on him over the Trans-Pacific Partnership and the South China Sea dispute. CP’s Andy Blatchford has that story.

Just hours after U.S. President Barack Obama gave a speech in Vietnam praising the benefits of the pending TPP, Brian Pallister's newly elected Conservative government in Manitoba said it backs the deal, too. In a press release, the province’s Trade Minister Cliff Cullen said he plans to ask the government to back the multi-billion trade deal unanimously. Our Kelsey Johnson has that story.

Meanwhile, the Globe and Mail has learned that Trudeau will name two prominent female civil servants to serve as Canada’s envoys to Great Britain and Israel rather than fill the posts with political partisans.

The National Energy Board wants to know whether end-to-end encryption and other communication techniques can help restore trust in its whistleblower program. The federal oil and gas regulator issued a request for information Friday for software that could ensure confidential and anonymous communication between a 'tipster' in the industry and the board's safety officials. Our James Munson has more.

Despite the ruckus around ‘elbowgate' that’s bumped the real issue of assisted dying to the sidelines in recent days, the government’s representative in the Senate thinks it’s still possible the bill will pass in the upper chamber before the deadline passes. Sen. Peter Harder won’t say whether he would resort to moving for time allocation to facilitate that, which is ultimately, albeit indirectly, what led to breaking out the elbows down the hall in the first place. We shall see.

Turning to electoral reform: The results of two polls — one conducted in April by EKOS Research and another last week by Ipsos Public Affairs — seem to imply, at first glance, that Canadians are becoming increasingly insistent the Liberal government hold a referendum on reform. However, neither EKOS president Frank Graves nor Ipsos’ CEO Darrell Bricker think their firm’s polls can be seen as a continuum. Our BJ Siekierski looks at why.

Although he stressed he’s not advocating one way or another for Canada to join a possible western military coalition in Libya, Gen. Jonathan Vance says military intervention to deal with Islamic militants there is not inevitable. As he told reporters yesterday, what happens will depend on the performance of Libya's new, United Nations-brokered government and what assistance it may ask for. CP’s Mike Blanchfield has more.

Still with the military, ships that do double duty as humanitarian vessels? As David Pugliese reports, it’s an idea Irving Shipbuilding is hoping will float the Liberal government’s boat.

With an eye on improving the province’s environmental reputation and formalizing grand climate change plans unveiled last fall, the Alberta government has introduced legislation to tax purchases of all fossil fuels, including gasoline and natural gas. As the Globe’s Kelly Cryderman reports, Bill 20 was tabled yesterday.

Meanwhile in Ontario, although published reports have leaked portions of the province’s climate plan, Premier Kathleen Wynne won't guarantee that it will be released before the legislature rises for the summer on June 9.

“New advertising rules that limit using the image of Canada’s most photogenic prime minister won’t stop public servants from being dragged into partisan government ads and communications, warns the former senior bureaucrat once responsible for the policy now being revised.” The Citizen’s Kathryn May reports.

Meanwhile, the Conservatives say the Liberals broke their ban on partisan ads when Trudeau appeared in a $24,000 tourism video.

Here and there:
  • In Cairo, Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion will meet with Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi and other top officials.
  • Prime Minister Justin Trudeau takes the day off ahead of the G-7 on May 26-27.
  • Gov. Gen. David Johnston is in Atlanta (through May 25) as part of a week-long working visit to the U.S.
  • The Canadian Association of Defence and Security Industries holds a global defence and security trade show. Keynote address this morning by Gen. Jonathan Vance, followed by release of the State of Canada's Defence Industry 2014 report.
  • Protesters gather outside the EY Centre to demonstrate against the CANSEC Global Defence and Security Trade Show.
  • Statistics Canada releases farm income for 2015.
  • Bank of Canada releases its latest decision on its key interest rate target.
  • The Grace-Pepin Access to Information Award presented to Ken Rubin and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
  • In Calgary, Veteran Affairs Minister Kent Hehr highlights how measures in Budget 2016 help Canadian Armed Forces members, veterans and their families.

Donald Trump is now less than 10 delegates shy of clinching the Republican presidential nomination following a win last night in the Washington state primary. CNN has that story.

In what’s starting to become the new normal, things got more than a little heated outside a Trump rally in New Mexico late yesterday. It was a chaotic scene as protesters smashed a door, broke through barriers, threw rocks and lit fires outside Albuquerque's convention centre.

Hillary Clinton also took the Washington primary and has gained a new partner in her battle against Trump: Sen. Elizabeth Warren, who has escalated her attacks on a ‘small’ and ‘insecure’ Trump.

In Afghanistan, the Taliban has announced a new leader to replace Mullah Akhtar Mansour who was killed in a US drone strike. The BBC has more.

Overseas, there are still more questions than answers around the crash of EgyptAir Flight 804. While one forensic investigator says the evidence points to an explosion on board, the idea of a blast was promptly dismissed by the head of Egypt's forensic agency as "baseless" speculation.

In Featured Opinion this morning:
  • It's considered bad form in certain circles to say nice things about Stephen Harper's time in power, but you had to give the man credit: He built the modern Conservative Party of Canada, and the CPC was pretty good at winning elections.
  • Good enough, in fact, for the current tenant of the PMO to lift a few items from Harper's playbook. Tonight, Susan Delacourt explains how Justin Trudeau and his advisers are moving to restructure the Liberal party to make it more top-down, streamlined and election-ready — more like the CPC, in fact.
  • The Conservatives, meanwhile, may be moving in the other direction. L. Ian MacDonald tells us why the Conservative grassroots is taking steps to make sure the next leader of the CPC has a lot less power than Harper did.
  • And Fiona Kouyoumdjian and Stephen Hwang have a piece for Evidencenetwork.ca on the phenomenon of Canadians who've served prison time suffering shorter lifespans — and what we can do about it.

And finally, why Donald Trump is a fact checker’s nightmare.

Have yourself a great day.

International

Afghan Taliban appoint new leader after Mansour's death (Reuters)
Republican voters, politicians unite under Donald Trump (Toronto Star)
U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near Islamic State capital (Reuters)
National

Trudeau chooses two women to fill top diplomatic positions (The Globe and Mail)
New rules on partisan government ads go in ‘right direction,’ but still too weak: former senior bureaucrat (National Post)
Social media campaign to target laser pointer strikes on planes (CBC News)
Canada announces extra $331.5 million in humanitarian aid (Toronto Star)
Royal Society of Canada, academics, call on Ottawa to halt Site C project (The Globe and Mail)
Mike Duffy’s legal ordeal in Senate expenses scandal ends as Crown decides not to appeal (Toronto Star)
Atlantic

Premier Dwight Ball's deputy chief of staff resigns (CBC News)
Ontario

Wynne orders MPP to apologize to protesting mother of autistic son (Toronto Star)
Prairies

Manitoba government backs TPP, calls on feds to ratify (iPolitics)
Alberta

40 new fires in Alberta over the weekend, most from abandoned campfires (Edmonton Sun)
British Columbia

B.C. funds caregiver network providing mental-illness support to families (The Globe and Mail)

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

less than three posted:

TTC uses a "gently caress you we're a special snowflake" track gauge that isn't compatible with anything in North America or Europe, so that requires modifications to accommodate whenever they order, so maybe that's it.

There's got to be an amusing tale of corruption and incompetence there given that non-standard gauges were recognized as a Bad Thing two weeks after the Brits laid the first railway.

Unless it's a clever plan to keep invading armies from using the TTC system to move their troops. :shrug:

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.
The TTC's track gauge is older than Canada, so I'm not sure what you expect them to do that doesn't require lengthy shutdowns of large sections of track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man the word filter made that us Pol brief hard to understand