Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Whiskey Sours posted:

http://angusreid.org/premier-approval-may2016/

canadian_politics.png

E: The BC Liberals will still get a majority in the next election.

lmao, couillard still at 33%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

it's inconceivable to me there exist premieres with lower approval ratings than christy clarke. reminder that she lost her riding in vancouver - point grey, a slam dunk liberal riding if there ever was one - and had to ask a mp in west kelowna - a sparsely populated suburb of a city she had zero association with - to step down so she could run there and server as premiere. she still lives in point grey, but she bought a vacation home in west kelowna maybe

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Brandon Proust posted:

lmao, couillard still at 33%

I'd be surprised, but the liberals have the anglo vote locked up for eternity. Who else are they going to vote for, the CAQ? QS?

The quebec-anglo media don't help: they're amazingly terrible. They're some of the most blatant propaganda machine I've ever seen.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

MA-Horus posted:

Saying "You go to Branksome because you can't afford Havergal" is stupid. Tuition at Branksome is 24k a year, Tuition at Havergal is 30k a year. For people with that kind of money, 6K a year is pocket change.

Hahah. I didn't google tuition from the 1990s or anything. That's what her mother said when I asked, "why not Havergal?" because I was a tactless poo poo at age 14. (I remain a tactless poo poo.)

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 25, 2016

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd be surprised, but the liberals have the anglo vote locked up for eternity. Who else are they going to vote for, the CAQ? QS?

The quebec-anglo media don't help: they're amazingly terrible. They're some of the most blatant propaganda machine I've ever seen.

Each and every time the PQ or QS makes inroads with the anglo voter, they immediately lose it two weeks later when the OQLF or one of their own hardliners so much as farts. Kinda frustrating.

Hal_2005 posted:

Montreal has been a rusting, rotting cesspit of institutional corruption since 1960 (Expo 67 anyone?). Anyone who disagrees is both nostalgic and willfully ignorant; likely seeking fresh Government patronage contracts.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/montreal-decline-neil-macdonald-1.3501352

Yeah, we do have horrible corruption problems, but we also are quite active at confronting them, (half-assedly) prosecuting them and calling them out in the media. Are you telling me that the ROC doesn't have a single corruption or nepotism problem? I seem to recall a couple Canpol threads worth of potential material in these last pages. The corrupt Quebec swindler is just a convenient image for you to pat yourself on the back over.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 25, 2016

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

the talent deficit posted:

it's inconceivable to me there exist premieres with lower approval ratings than christy clarke. reminder that she lost her riding in vancouver - point grey, a slam dunk liberal riding if there ever was one - and had to ask a mp in west kelowna - a sparsely populated suburb of a city she had zero association with - to step down so she could run there and server as premiere. she still lives in point grey, but she bought a vacation home in west kelowna maybe

Clark's not-rock-bottom approval has more to do with the BCNDP than Clark. Eby is the only this the NDP has going for it right now, and I hope they recognize that when election time rolls around next year.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Nine of Eight posted:

Each and every time the PQ or QS makes inroads with the anglo voter, they immediately lose it two weeks later when the OQLF or one of their own hardliners so much as farts. Kinda frustrating.

This is what I meant about anglophone media being propaganda: the OQLF is actually virtually powerless and hasn't done anything big enough to warrant this hatred. But the anglo media uses it as a scapegoat all the time so it's become the dreaded "language police" and it would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

the talent deficit posted:

To put into context, Newfoundland has had weekly protests outside our House of Commons since the announcement of the budget. The recent teacher's protest on the 7th reached into the thousands of protesters. It has been a complete poo poo show.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Newfoundland's Premier Ball has walked back the deficit reduction levy, and now only those earners above 50k will have to pay anything

I cynically believe they always planned to use this option after a blowback, but I don't think they expected such severe protests. I'll be genuinely surprised if this doesn't hurt their long term reputation, although following Dunderdale this might be their one get out of jail free card.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, Matthew de Grood was found NCR just now.

What ignorant remark will do it ironically post after this? Stay tuned to find out!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

BallsFalls posted:

Brampton rejected a proposed LRT route connecting Mississauga and Brampton, paid for by the provincial government because they didn't want to "destroy the heritage character" of "historic downtown" Brampton.

All city Councillors should be shot into the sun.

Completely agreed. Hamilton's bus lane debacle a few years ago really laid bare just how FYGM some councillors are here. The way Terry Whitehead conducts himself on social media is absolutely reprehensible.

I was once against de-amalgamation but seeing what those shits in Flamborough and Ancaster are willfully doing to the lower city I think we should give them what they want and cut them loose to sink.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Nine of Eight posted:

Yeah, we do have horrible corruption problems, but we also are quite active at confronting them, (half-assedly) prosecuting them and calling them out in the media. Are you telling me that the ROC doesn't have a single corruption or nepotism problem? I seem to recall a couple Canpol threads worth of potential material in these last pages. The corrupt Quebec swindler is just a convenient image for you to pat yourself on the back over.

Forget it Nine of Eight, It's Hall_2005

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
So the Liberal government is holding a "consultation" in "Toronto" regarding the TPP on June 15th, in the middle of a work week, and they have yet to announce the time or location of the event, which isn't exactly being widely advertised anyway.

I can't wait to hear about the Liberals "listened to Canadians" before making any decision on the deal. What a joke.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

PT6A posted:

What ignorant remark will do it ironically post after this? Stay tuned to find out!

aw, you care what I think, completely opposite of what I feel about your opinions

Not even a high risk designation, doesn't even read the statement that the lawyer prepared for him, wouldn't face the families of the people he slaughtered, can't wait to read a great puff piece in 5 years where he's doing really really well guys, just gosh darned living life to the fullest doing so well in university. Meanwhile, they won't even mention the victims, everyone will forget about them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Do it ironically posted:

aw, you care what I think, completely opposite of what I feel about your opinions

Not even a high risk designation, doesn't even read the statement that the lawyer prepared for him, wouldn't face the families of the people he slaughtered, can't wait to read a great puff piece in 5 years where he's doing really really well guys, just gosh darned living life to the fullest doing so well in university. Meanwhile, they won't even mention the victims, everyone will forget about them.

Are you actually really dumb or is your posting persona just a shtick

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 25, 2016

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
maybe both?!?!

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

I'd be interested in hearing about what it takes to have a lower approval rating than Kathleen Wynne

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

So, Matthew de Grood was found NCR just now.

I think it's great they found him NCR. I hope young people see that the world isn't always as civilized and rational as we pretend it is and are motivated to learn a combat sport so that they can be prepared when some unhinged lunatic tries to stab them and their friends, cut off their heads or elbow them in the tit.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ikantski posted:

I think it's great they found him NCR. I hope young people see that the world isn't always as civilized and rational as we pretend it is and are motivated to learn a combat sport so that they can be prepared when some unhinged lunatic tries to stab them and their friends, cut off their heads or elbow them in the tit.

please work out everybody [not you ikantlift]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Harper just announced he will resign.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Frosted Flake posted:

He's heard that Axl Rose isn't working out in AC/DC and realizes that his time is now.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah? I thought it only leaked today that he was planning to announce at some point this summer

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

brucio posted:

Yeah? I thought it only leaked today that he was planning to announce at some point this summer

That's the headline CBC was running when I glanced last. You're right that he may not have done anything official yet.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
so man with a knife stabs 5 people to death and he gets to skip jail. cop kills a manthug with a knife and he has to go to jail. something seriously wrong in canada since trudeau took over.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Chair In A Basket posted:

so man with a knife stabs 5 people to death and he gets to skip jail. cop kills a manthug with a knife and he has to go to jail. something seriously wrong in canada since trudeau took over.

Source your quotes.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Since it keeps coming up does anyone feel like going over what, exactly, the implications of being found Not Criminally Responsible are for De Grood? I'm familiar with the basics but not being a lawyer it's not entirely clear to me how long he is likely to remain forcibly confined, what the conditions of those confinement would be, and what criteria would be used to judge whether he can return to society. If anyone wants to weigh in on this I'd appreciate it.

I mean, based on the Vince Li example it is conceivable that De Grood could be unattended in public five years from now, yes?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I don't care whether he's responsible, or whether he ~intended~ to do so, or whatever, it's just important that he's removed from society. Let him live out his days in the nuthouse, get him a PS4.5 if you want, but it's insane to expect people to nod and smile and very tolerantly and progressively accept someone who attacked, stabbed, and murdered five people, you know, it's just a little oopsie of the brain!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Source your quotes.

drat good catchphrase, and funny!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 9, 2022

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harper is resigning as an mp. So I think I owe my friend who pointed out he'll stay on til the Duffy trial is over

Yeah, it's safe now that a bunch of his senators are no longer facing legal action. Harper might be a good tactician but he's certainly not subtle.

Sounds like his fellow one percenters are planning to take good care of him. Just as well; it might crease my brain if he was planning to go into humanitarian work.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:

quote:

Harper was setting us up to purchase our own oil but the logistics infrastructure wasn't there to operate efficiently without pipelines.

Trudeau's top foreign advisor just happens to be Saudi born and highly connected out that way. Shortly after Trudeau came in we were about to add carbon taxes and many other uncertain things that caused Canada to stop producing its own oil and instead start buying oil from Saudi Arabia. Trudeau also refused to hardline Obama to approve Keystone and so it was cached with days of our new government coming into power.

Am I the only person that sees a connection here??

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Frosted Flake posted:

I look forward to future trenchant insights from our newly hatched thought leader.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Harper is just an old-fashioned politician who doesn't belong in a post-Elbowgate world.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
he's upset by the how easy PMJT got off when he knows that there would be protests outside his home if he had, as PMSH, tackled a titty on the house floor

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Koch Bros. endowed Harper Institute

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's finally time for Harper's celebratory feast:

No wait, that doesn't seem right...

Help what is happening

That's not even Stephen Harper!

Aaaaaaah

Much better

You did it, little guy. You did it.

RIP sweet prince

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Vintersorg posted:

'Trudeau refused to hardline Obama'

Hahahaha, that's fuckin' gold. How exactly is Canada supposed to strong arm the US federal government precisely?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Just don't take no for an answer! Show em you mean business! Be a man! Grow a pair! It's a no-brainer!

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Arabian Jesus posted:

I'd be interested in hearing about what it takes to have a lower approval rating than Kathleen Wynne

He raised taxes. What you're supposed to do is raise user fees and sell off public assets to your campaign donors.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

JVNO posted:

Hahahaha, that's fuckin' gold. How exactly is Canada supposed to strong arm the US federal government precisely?

Well, PMJT is a boxer and former bouncer..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Canada is simultaneously too small and insigificant to do anything about global warming yet big and powerful enough to strong arm an American president who is busy trying to maintain his party's electoral coalition.

This doesn't clear up all of my questions but it's a start.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 9, 2022