Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
Bright side, it gives me a new storyline to run through for my next contraband alt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Haha I forgot about the Kobali Zone entirely, nevermind I guess.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
The worst part of the Kobali Zone was the respawn times. It could take you an hour to shoot your way through it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mr Wikstroem posted:

Of course they have. SA, much like everything and everyone else, is dying and getting closer to death with each moment that passes. Nothing can halt the endless march of time that heralds the onset of entropy.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Burning_Monk posted:

The worst part of the Kobali Zone was the respawn times. It could take you an hour to shoot your way through it.

I have been working a pre-DR alt finally to 60 so I have another alt to run fast elites with down the road and was working through Kobali last night and I had to turn autofire off because it never stopped. Like I'd be hunkered down for ten minutes clearing out a whole platoon of Vaadwaur only to get up and start moving and have my character spin around 180 to take pop shots at some new Vaadwaur up a hill and it would start all over again.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Burning_Monk posted:

My favorite part of Kobali is that all the mobs are level 52 and don't scale. Which doesn't actually make them any easier to kill than level 60 mobs, but it does mean that when you go back to grind iconian rep on your level 60 character, you're only getting 1xp per kill. 1xp, when it takes 250k xp to get another spec point.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

g0del posted:

My favorite part of Kobali is that all the mobs are level 52 and don't scale. Which doesn't actually make them any easier to kill than level 60 mobs, but it does mean that when you go back to grind iconian rep on your level 60 character, you're only getting 1xp per kill. 1xp, when it takes 250k xp to get another spec point.

I think admirality access takes care of most of that spec point grinding.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

g0del posted:

Remember, they reduced awards on popular missions because they were making all content equally rewarding across the board.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Delta Rising took all the wind out of my fun sails, every time you found a way to progress they kneecapped it. Any grind you took after that, mostly neutralized! RIP Naussicans and Benthans.

I sure hope there are patrols :gowron:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Interestingly enough, if you log out in the instance of a completed CCE queue, and later log back in during the window of time when the CE dies, you get rewards for it AND the queue doesn't have any cooldown for you.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 26, 2016

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.
That has happened a few times for me as well, but if CE wasn't destroyed during those few seconds they let me stay, I always ended up with a CD and no reward.

There should be at least one entry on the wiki that is relevant to this.

Dely Apple posted:

Given that they're doing time travel, I think they should do 10 levels worth of patrols between each story mission. Something that's closer to how it was when the game first launched.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dely Apple posted:

Delta Rising took all the wind out of my fun sails, every time you found a way to progress they kneecapped it. Any grind you took after that, mostly neutralized! RIP Naussicans and Benthans.

It was amazing how many bad decisions / missteps in a short period of time Cryptic/PWE made after Delta came out, yeah.

My personal favorite was them rolling back people who grinded too much according to their own esoteric criteria. Not exploiting mind you, just grinding a lot because the progression required it.

It was amazing in the worst ways.

fakemirage posted:

Given that they're doing time travel, I think they should do 10 levels worth of patrols between each story mission. Something that's closer to how it was when the game first launched.

^ :getin:

Fuuuuuuck that was why I quit back in Season 2, long before F2P. Let the new people suffer like I did. Like we all did.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 26, 2016

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DancingShade posted:

It was amazing how many bad decisions / missteps in a short period of time Cryptic/PWE made after Delta came out, yeah.

My personal favorite was them rolling back people who grinded too much according to their own esoteric criteria. Not exploiting mind you, just grinding a lot because the progression required it.

It was amazing in the worst ways.
The best part was how somehow the devs at Cryptic could not possibly predict that people grinding specs in the most crazy efficient ways possible was basically inevitable. You give people something and they're going to take the path of least resistance to it. This is like "game design 101" basics here.

It could have been easily avoided by just time gating spec points to 1-2 a day or something, but they didn't have the foresight to do something like that despite already having basically the same solution with their rep system. And then they go and piss everyone off with immediate and drastic overnerfs to basically everything (patrols, doffing, etc.) even ignoring the dumbass rollbacks. It was such amazingly shortsighted and incompetent. :allears:

Granted it wasn't quite as horrible and laughable as bumping the costs of boats up to $30, which was singlehandedly enough to make at least three of my friends quit and never return due to how blatantly cash-grabbing it was.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

So, they put the rest of the AoY starter missions out and erm, so after the last TOS era mission they dump you in 25th century ESD and that's about it. You get a little blurb from a random temporal dude and then talk to the admiral to pick from the regular fed level 10 free ships, no new AoY ships, and get the SS Azura mission. They even tell you to get out of your TOS uniform to fit in better. So far it seems only the BOFFs you take with you from the past can wear TOS uniforms, all the reward BOFFs I got for hitting 10 couldn't select them from the tailor. The SS Azura mission was just the same as normal fed side.

I was kind of hoping there'd be at least like an AoY Temporal Command Center for the faction or something but no I guess it is just regular ESD.

edit: A lot of this is probably just a matter of "not on tribble yet" as there's supposed to at least be C-Store AoY unique ships from the bundle packs for the expansion but they weren't listed at ESD either.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 26, 2016

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

nobody who plays STO (and this includes goons) seems to actually know what they want from the game and we are all prone to hyperbole.

This is total bullshit. There's only one thing I've wanted from Cryptic and I've known exactly what it is for the past 1,568 days: a loving Keldon.

Berke Negri posted:

So far it seems only the BOFFs you take with you from the past can wear TOS uniforms

Do the TOS boffs at least have some unique trait or are they typical starter boff trash?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Mondian posted:

This is total bullshit. There's only one thing I've wanted from Cryptic and I've known exactly what it is for the past 1,568 days: a loving Keldon.

Do the TOS boffs at least have some unique trait or are they typical starter boff trash?

So far just regular boffs, as far as I remember seeing. They have their own 23-rd century style beam in/out animation I guess.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Asimo posted:

The best part was how somehow the devs at Cryptic could not possibly predict that people grinding specs in the most crazy efficient ways possible was basically inevitable. You give people something and they're going to take the path of least resistance to it. This is like "game design 101" basics here.

It could have been easily avoided by just time gating spec points to 1-2 a day or something, but they didn't have the foresight to do something like that despite already having basically the same solution with their rep system. And then they go and piss everyone off with immediate and drastic overnerfs to basically everything (patrols, doffing, etc.) even ignoring the dumbass rollbacks. It was such amazingly shortsighted and incompetent. :allears:

It's even better because the devs told players to do patrol missions for spec point XP. Both in game and out of game.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Talk poo poo about Cryptic as a dev all you want to, since they do plenty of dumb, weird poo poo on their own, but a lot of the recent content output is probably the fault of the playerbase, because nobody who plays STO (and this includes goons) seems to actually know what they want from the game and we are all prone to hyperbole.

True way Cardassian faction that doesn't suck like the Romulan faction by getting rolled into the Federation or Klingon storylines. Actual "rebuild" the Cardassian way of life military story. That would make me play STO again.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

Berke Negri posted:

edit: A lot of this is probably just a matter of "not on tribble yet" as there's supposed to at least be C-Store AoY unique ships from the bundle packs for the expansion but they weren't listed at ESD either.
There's supposedly a bunch of stuff missing from Tribble (like the new specialization and reputation tree), and we're supposed to get new AoY missions for existing factions as well.

If these new missions will be drip fed through weekly featured episodes or released all at once, remains to be seen.

Da Mott Man posted:

True way Cardassian faction that doesn't suck like the Romulan faction by getting rolled into the Federation or Klingon storylines. Actual "rebuild" the Cardassian way of life military story. That would make me play STO again.
The story would probably be the rebuilding of Cardassia with the help of your new and unexpected allies.

Your first officer would be a Bajoran (of course) that for story reasons can't be dismissed.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Da Mott Man posted:

True way Cardassian faction that doesn't suck like the Romulan faction by getting rolled into the Federation or Klingon storylines. Actual "rebuild" the Cardassian way of life military story. That would make me play STO again. STO great again.

Graviton Wall, folks. Bajor's gonna pay for it.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Da Mott Man posted:

I want this only so long as we wipe out the Alpha Quadrant changelings. Ain't no way Cardassia is playing second fiddle to a third rate great link.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

It's even better because the devs told players to do patrol missions for spec point XP. Both in game and out of game.
Hell, the game forced you to grind patrol missions just to play all the new DR missions. When it first came out there were huge gaps in levels between the story missions, and several story missions were just "do these 5 patrols". And since you finished those a level or two below where you needed to be for the next mission, it was pretty clear that they wanted you to keep doing patrol missions to level up.

And then, after forcing players to grind patrols to play DR missions, they were completely shocked that players continued to grind patrols to get spec points.

And they've still got problems with spec points. The fact that they're not capped correctly means that releasing a new spec tree doesn't actually encourage people to play more. Long time players can max out a new spec tree immediately, while for new players and alts it's just one more way to screw them over.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Da Mott Man posted:

I honestly don't think they have the writing team to pull it off.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I'll do it for $1 less than their current writer.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Acer Pilot posted:

I'll do it for $1 less than their current writer.

Mail your check to Cryptic.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i'm kinda burnt out on the restaurant industry so i'd donit for $2 less

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I got gold spam (EC spam) from a bot via pidgin and I wasn't even logged in to STO.

:tutbutt:

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
https://twitter.com/LaughingTrendy/status/736031395873587200

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

The way the 6th episode ends ties straight into the 2409 missions. You "die" and Daniels teleports you to the future

So these other episodes Trendy is referring to are either Level 60, or somewhere on the way.

Also new Before and After

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9986113-star-trek-online%3A-weekly-before-and-after

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 27, 2016

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

So, can we look forward to classic Star Trek comic content soon?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

:agreed:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Tuskin38 posted:

The way the 6th episode ends ties straight into the 2409 missions. You "die" and Daniels teleports you to the future

So these other episodes Trendy is referring to are either Level 60, or somewhere on the way.

Also new Before and After

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9986113-star-trek-online%3A-weekly-before-and-after

On Tribble if you check the episode tab all the mission text on closer inspection is all messed up after the first 2409 mission. While that one has changed quest text the next several arcs have weird level requirements. So the first set of Klingon War missions (five or so) all say [Level 1 Required] then the next batch is Devidians and all of those missions are [Level 11 Required] and so on for several arcs so I'm guessing all those quests we see are acting as placeholders for the moment for either brand new quests or new quest text added to them. They have said apparently that there is definitely a level 60 arc for all the factions that ties into the previous season, so what remains to be seen is how much new content there will be for AoY faction characters before then.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If I just had to guess, I'd say probably 25-30 levels of missions set in the past for TOS characters. They'll get dumped into the future in time for the Nimbus arc. Then an arc of 6 or so missions at level 60 for everyone.

But Cryptic is lazy enough that it may well be 6ish missions in the past and a similarly short level 60 arc for all.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

the first set of Klingon War missions (five or so) all say [Level 1 Required] then the next batch is Devidians and all of those missions are [Level 11 Required] and so on for several arcs

It is the same on Holodeck right now. Since Missions/NPCs scale with your level, they don't have different requirements for each mission.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 28, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Oh, then it will probably be a bad expansion then.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Make sure to stock up on your $130 agents of yesterday pack ya'll.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

Oh, then it will probably be a bad expansion then.

There is an arc of missions not on tribble yet called 'Yesterday's War'

They are TOS themed, but no idea if they're TOS characters only.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 28, 2016

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I think the more embarrassing thing will be if they (again) time limit the delta recruit stuff for another six weeks or whatever. So you make a new AoY character, whether you are new or old, and get a bunch of stuff, but if you join the game a year later you're out. My impression is that this game is way too heavy on limited events for real good gear or progression and it hurts people coming back or new players a lot unless they join right in that sweet spot.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hell, if anything the idiots in charge doubled down on the limited thing by making it so you could no longer queue last year's ship in the current year, so if you missed an event you were SOL forever. You'd think they could throw them in the cstore or lobi store or something, but Geko is a retard obsessed with ~exclusivity~. :shrug:

Also I'm not rolling a TOS fed unless you get a free loving plasleech from the recruiting event. I already have a Fed main with billions of credits of poo poo that won't carry over, and if I didn't drop em for a romulan why the hell do they think I'll drop em for a Fed who starts in a cheesy uniform I can already use anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

are any of the terran rep rewards worth it?

• Locked thread