Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Haha totally not ninja edit snipe

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

If you want a really silly restriction, you could try 'iron man' and past a certain point only use modules you loot on your ships.

This is phenomenally dumb and that's why I suggest it

There is a real sense of accomplishment in killing larger and larger rats with modules pulled from their wrecks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

If you want a really silly restriction, you could try 'iron man' and past a certain point only use modules you loot on your ships.

This is phenomenally dumb and that's why I suggest it

Oh man... that's pretty amazing. I haven't bought any modules, yet, so it's still a possibility. I'm going to refrain from buying any and think on this. That would really drive the PVP portion, too.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
It'll make that officer mod feel real sweet (after the thousand hours of hunting for it)

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
I did something like that with the Astero I used to run highsec DED plexes. Eventually I realized how phenominally dumb it was to have 500m in deadspace fittings on a frigate, and retired that particular autism chariot.

Kept the Sansha scram, though. I use it to gank wormhole explorers now. :smugdog:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If there were some way to prevent cheating, a 1-month iron-man with a free-for-all brawl of the contestants at the end would be cool. No using markets, contracts, or LP stores. You only get to eat what you kill. I'm unsure if any ship BPCs ever drop, but whatever.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ynglaur posted:

If there were some way to prevent cheating, a 1-month iron-man with a free-for-all brawl of the contestants at the end would be cool. No using markets, contracts, or LP stores. You only get to eat what you kill. I'm unsure if any ship BPCs ever drop, but whatever.

How would you get hulls?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

CommonShore posted:

How would you get hulls?

you can always double up on civilian guns on the Ibis and start over

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

CommonShore posted:

How would you get hulls?

That's the one thing I can't figure out exactly. I figure maybe you can start with any one t1 frig with civilian mods? figure out something

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Career agents give you frigates and a destroyer.
From there you can probably get a cruiser BPC from a LP store and build it yourself with minerals that you mined yourself.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

That's the one thing I can't figure out exactly. I figure maybe you can start with any one t1 frig with civilian mods? figure out something

Maybe you can buy a hull, if you've killed that hull, but the only isk you can use is from selling stuff you've gotten from wrecks?

It'd be hard to control for people using alts or friends of alts to sacrifice to the character in order to provide modules.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is there a special way to create an alt that gets me free bonus time or a special monthly deal or whatever? Also can you log in multiple accounts at the same time on the launcher?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is there a special way to create an alt that gets me free bonus time or a special monthly deal or whatever? Also can you log in multiple accounts at the same time on the launcher?

You can refer your own email to get some bonus time if you sub with that account yeah.

You can use multiple paid accounts from the launcher yeah. To use a trial and paid account, the trial account needs to be run on a separate computer or laptop from the paid accounts.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

FranktheBank posted:

Interesting. What kind of fit would I need for the domi?

Well you need buffer and lots of it, em resist over 90 and some reps. The torp does 108,000 em dmg that you can't sig tank apparently. So 90% resists means 10k ish per hit, jsut from the tower. So a plate or two, a reactive armour hardener, a DCU, an Em hardener and a rep. I don't know if it's even possible to solo by the way. I just like having conversations like this because I found as a newbie people teaching me how to think about fitting was better than jsut giving me a fit.

I still can't come up with fits for poo poo most of the time but good to think out loud!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Here is a Golem fit that can do it with overheated hardeners, just about exploded too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PERfAnE8-0Q

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.
Pulling the trigger on 3 more injectors tomorrow. Grand total of 10 now!

I also have no idea what I want to fly after my drone skills are done. (Currently in a VNI, getting into an Ishtar).

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I sold a young member of GSF 12 injectors for 4 PLEX as a small experiment and I've been meaning to follow up with him to see how he's doing. I'm not completely convinced injectors are a good habit for the younglings. I agree completely with 10k SP awarded as a trickle, but not a pile of 500,000.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I've wondered about that.

New players in an injector era EVE have a much more obvious path to higher SP than pre injector new players. I'm curious about the difference in attitude it breeds.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I feel like SP addiction would be in the DSM if it wasn't an activity in a video game played by 40 people.

poo poo I feel like EVE would be in the DSM for that matter.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Ynglaur posted:

Perhaps the means to prevent discourage cheating is 'iron-man' participants must stream/YouTube post their game play. (though not necessarily for the purpose to post live, as it would suck to get frequently steam sniped if buying hulls from the market is restricted.)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Carth Dookie posted:

New players in an injector era EVE have a much more obvious path to higher SP than pre injector new players. I'm curious about the difference in attitude it breeds.

You could always just buy characters like before, though the PREMIUM you pay for desirable characters is nowhere near as extreme as it once was. The latest hotness is buying characters in the 100m+ range to melt to specific niches or buying to extract/resell the husk. Snagging a husk with 2+ carrier skillbooks and capships for 3-4b is pretty nice though

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Pale Peril posted:

Perhaps the means to prevent discourage cheating is 'iron-man' participants must stream/YouTube post their game play. (though not necessarily for the purpose to post live, as it would suck to get frequently steam sniped if buying hulls from the market is restricted.)

Yeah, that wouldn't get around using alts to feed modules to participants. If I really wanted a DC2, I could just feed atrons fitted with it to my ironman guy. didn't work? Biomass and create a new character...

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Carth Dookie posted:

I used it to get past some of the more ridiculous time-gated skills (CPU/Powergrid/Electronics Upgrades/Hull Upgrades/Weapon Upgrades 5) and ultimately into an interceptor and bomber weeks earlier than I could have otherwise. At the time those were basically the only fleets going out and if I had spent another month spinning in a shitfit T1 frigate with gimped fittings I may not have kept playing.

Granted I was able to due this largely thanks to an unusual windfall for a newbie, because CODE. had paid me 3b for finding them a plex-tanked Obelisk :v:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Morris posted:

I used it to get past some of the more ridiculous time-gated skills (CPU/Powergrid/Electronics Upgrades/Hull Upgrades/Weapon Upgrades 5) and ultimately into an interceptor and bomber weeks earlier than I could have otherwise. At the time those were basically the only fleets going out and if I had spent another month spinning in a shitfit T1 frigate with gimped fittings I may not have kept playing.

Granted I was able to due this largely thanks to an unusual windfall for a newbie, because CODE. had paid me 3b for finding them a plex-tanked Obelisk :v:

I wish they'd stop with level V prereqs and move toward a wider range of ship effectiveness based on skills and specializations. Wanna fly a racial cruiser level 1 HAC? Have your HAC but enjoy incredibly poo poo fitting and DPS.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

They'll probably just be the same as me but instantly. I've had EVE a few months and haven't really left dock or logged in for maybe the last two of them. But I'll be damned if my character's skill queue ever empties out. Its basically like sending the little poo poo to boarding school so you can forget about him but make sure he's still breathing. In terms of ability, I've gone from someone who can shoot and transport hi-sec rocks at a mediocre rate to someone who can fly a raptor to just above level 3 mastery. Never been on the winning side of any PVP though, and beyond the SoE arc in PVE I was pretty challenged. So when I do get back into the game I'll be in the middle of the ocean with water wings flailing.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Carth Dookie posted:

I think it won't be any different than gifting PLEX to people was. It's a bit cheaper but the current prices are a little too high for groups like GSF, Horde, BRAVE, etc. to throw a few in to each skill book pack they hand out you know?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

frozenpussy posted:

I wish they'd stop with level V prereqs and move toward a wider range of ship effectiveness based on skills and specializations. Wanna fly a racial cruiser level 1 HAC? Have your HAC but enjoy incredibly poo poo fitting and DPS.

Heh, fun story here. I was digging through my old alt accounts and found one that I hadn't played for 5 years that I had trained to gallente carrier 4 back before it required capital ships and warp drive operation stuff. After I got done stripping the SP out, it has: Gallente Carrier 3, Capital Ships III, IV required; Navigation II, V required; Warp Drive Op II, V required; Jump drive op III and fuel conservation IV and drive calibration III, got Jump drive op 0, others don't seem to be even injected.

I'm training gal carrier to 5 for the hell of it. Could it 'sit' in a Nyx if I needed it to? I assume the ship only looks at the top skill and nothing below.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I have an alt with a confused set of skills that I plan to sap of all sp I can. I don't fancy subbing it because I don't plan on playing with it. Can I use hours for plex for it or is that frowned upon?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ambaire posted:

I'm training gal carrier to 5 for the hell of it. Could it 'sit' in a Nyx if I needed it to? I assume the ship only looks at the top skill and nothing below.

You usually need more than just one skill to sit in a ship.

To sit in a Nyx you need:
Capital Spaceships I
Gallente Carrier I

If you have those two, even with missing pre-reqs for those two, you should be able to sit in it.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ledenko posted:

I have an alt with a confused set of skills that I plan to sap of all sp I can. I don't fancy subbing it because I don't plan on playing with it. Can I use hours for plex for it or is that frowned upon?
You can use hours for plex for whatever you want, just don't expect to be able to use it again on that account for a few months. In any event, if you're planning to drain a character, you'll be giving CCP money in exactly the same way as you would if you bought a plex - like plex, skill extractors ultimately have to be bought with real money.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Ledenko posted:

Unless you're unemployed, it's quickly cheaper to just buy things than grind them out in game.

Unless you really like the grinding.

Edit: Wrong quote.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

xilni posted:

Unless you're unemployed, it's quickly cheaper to just buy things than grind them out in game.

Unless you really like the grinding.

Edit: Wrong quote.

Yeah, I plan on buying AUR and skill extractors with that. I'd just prefer to not spend additional money for something I definitely won't use.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://zkillboard.com/kill/54242039/
trasher fleet is da bess

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Ledenko posted:

They never know. You can also initiate a character transfer after activating the account using hours for PLEX.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PL, Waffles, Horde have a pretty fun alpha thrasher comp that's been used now and then. Main with Horde, and its pretty great. It's similar to the Winrunner (Claw) fleet we used to run against BRAVE.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
I'm considering getting about 10b (JDC V...) of injectors to put one of my guys in a panther

Injectors are good for that, but they get quite expensive once you want SP intensive things

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Landsknecht posted:

I'm considering getting about 10b (JDC V...) of injectors to put one of my guys in a panther

Injectors are good for that, but they get quite expensive once you want SP intensive things

for what skill? I also want to advise you it's a waste of ISK if you don't get all 500k SP per injector.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
So, are there actually people interested in the Ironman competition?

• Competition will be one month in length
  • Character will divest itself of all assets and isk at the start of the competition, with the exclusion of a single t1 frigate
  • Only modules salvaged from wrecks generated by the character itself can be used (no slipping out to null sec to grab modules from wrecks others killed)
  • Other than t1 frigate hulls, no hull can be purchased unless the character has killed that hull in PVP and have a kill mail to prove it
  • At the end of the one-month period, a free-for-all brawl will be set up and the winner will be praised and pitied
  • No assistance from alts or other characters of any kind are allowed to feed the ironman participant

Any changes? Anyone interested?

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I killed my alt in a machariel who happened to be transporting skill injectors and PLEX. FC what do

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

frozenpussy posted:

I killed my alt in a machariel who happened to be transporting skill injectors and PLEX. FC what do

obviously ask for reimbursement with the whiniest evemail possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Dr. Pangloss posted:

• Character will divest itself of all assets and isk at the start of the competition, with the exclusion of a single t1 frigate

I think some kinda limit on SP would be more fair. Or even better, everyone must participate with a new character of which all were created on the same day. Event lasts as long as a trial account (Its back to 21 days, right?)

With new characters in mind, I think it would be neat to come up with a naming scheme that participants can identify each other in local. (Example: A predetermined last name of something like 'Iron-man', but unique or EVE specific that isn't already used... as I'm sure there are already characters in game with the name of iron-man.) Plus if you see named participant in local, should be obligated / some incentive to duel.

• Locked thread