Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tesseraction posted:

Have menthols ever been allowed to claim health benefits over standard? Pretty sure the advertising rules came into place before they were mainstream.

I can't speak to the UK- my knowledge is of the US. It was a big problem here for a couple decades. Tobacco companies are very good at implying false harm reduction arguments through product advertising.

If you want a laugh, check out the section of the menthol cigarettes wikipedia article about a planned ban on menthol cigarettes in the US. Nope, there's no funded edits here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't speak to the UK- my knowledge is of the US.

And while I don't disagree with what you've said, this is the British Cartoons thread. Non-Brits are perfectly welcome but remember that while we share a language and worryingly-stupid electorate, British politics and American politics are definitely different beasts, especially on social issues.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Discendo Vox posted:

As part of an incrementalist attempt to stop nicotine use altogether, ending a more popular category of product would make sense.
Is that actually their end goal? I thought the general consensus was that harm reduction and attacking the most dangerous ways of consuming a drug rather than the drug itself was the way forward now, and that eradication and a 'drug free world' are pipe dreams.

Renfield posted:

It's apparently the least appealing colour they could find
What about UKIP's purple and yellow? That's unappealing even without the association with UKIP.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

What about UKIP's purple and yellow? That's unappealing even without the association with UKIP.

Just put Eastern European flags* on them to put people off.

*with a large font explanation of which flag it is

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tesseraction posted:

And while I don't disagree with what you've said, this is the British Cartoons thread. Non-Brits are perfectly welcome but remember that while we share a language and worryingly-stupid electorate, British politics and American politics are definitely different beasts, especially on social issues.

Yes- that said based on a quick search of coverage of when the rules were first, passed, tobacco companies were trying to make the same set of claims on labeling.

Guavanaut posted:

Is that actually their end goal? I thought the general consensus was that harm reduction and attacking the most dangerous ways of consuming a drug rather than the drug itself was the way forward now, and that eradication and a 'drug free world' are pipe dreams.

Generally, if you're in public health, yes, that is the end goal on tobacco. The thing that has shifted is that the focus is now on preventing new adopters of the drug rather than attempting get current users to stop. In particular, European rule changes have generally been framed as part of a goal to produce a "tobacco free" new generation.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Tesseraction posted:

I would imagine, based on no evidence, that there's a fair amount of US money funding the lobbying efforts against since the UK doesn't grow tobacco and most cigarette companies are based in the US (or part of a US-PanEuropean congloms).

Your fault for founding the colony of Virginia in 1607. Revenge is a dish best served cold... directly into the lungs.

some cartoons since it's a new page and there's too much text for a cartoon forum:

nobodyssweetheart fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 22, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah except in this case the stuff the person was talking about did happen in Britain too (and everywhere else.) Tobacco is an area where the "social issue" goals are the same for both sides, one is just further along than the other. As to the person above, yeah American companies were backing lawsuits to stop this rollout, but it wasn't just them, that one really big Japanese tobacco company was involved too and in this globalized world we live in its hard to call any of those MNCs truly "national" in the sense that they have stuff all over the world.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Europe devours one of her children - Chris Riddell on the issue that is tearing apart the Tory party" After Goya.

Sunday Telegraph:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

"Europe devours one of her children - Chris Riddell on the issue that is tearing apart the Tory party" After Goya.
Surely by this point it's 'after about two dozen other newspaper cartoons that thought they were being clever.'

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Guavanaut posted:

Surely by this point it's 'after about two dozen other newspaper cartoons that thought they were being clever.'

I'm convinced. "Tory Party" rear end tattoos all around.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

Hahahahahaha it cracks me up the BoB thinks Boris is some kind of statesman figure

Kin ell

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

nobodyssweetheart posted:

I would imagine, based on no evidence, that there's a fair amount of US money funding the lobbying efforts against since the UK doesn't grow tobacco and most cigarette companies are based in the US (or part of a US-PanEuropean congloms).

Both British American Tobacco and Imperial Tobacco (two of the top five international tobacco companies) are headquartered in the UK and are part of the FTSE 100. We've had our fair share of politicians with close connections to tobacco companies over here who have supposedly worked behind the scenes lobbying for them, former chancellor Ken Clarke probably being the most prominent.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Cloud Potato posted:

Observer:

In what way is the Tory party the son of Europe?

Guavanaut posted:

Though it's hack as gently caress nobody thinks they're being clever by mimicking Goya, the guy's not obscure.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

Though it's hack as gently caress nobody thinks they're being clever by mimicking Goya, the guy's not obscure.
Political cartoonists are basically the same as teenagers doing mashups of Steven Universe and Pokémon, but with classical art.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Vote Leave's Turkey-EU comments – Vote Leave has been accused of ‘stoking the fires of prejudice’ after it claimed that Turkey’s assumed accession to the EU would put Britain in danger as a result of a high level of criminality among Turkish citizens"

Bonus, Rowson illustrating Kevin Maguire's column in the Mirror:

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda

Cloud Potato posted:

Bonus, Rowson illustrating Kevin Maguire's column in the Mirror:

Ugh. Why is Osborne only yellow from the neck up? I can't tell if that's worse than being jaundiced all the way down, but it means it's either make up or a tan-line.
gove still adorable though, nude or puking

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

nobodyssweetheart posted:

Ugh. Why is Osborne only yellow from the neck up? I can't tell if that's worse than being jaundiced all the way down, but it means it's either make up or a tan-line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S8poOaSlGc

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
Giddy the Clown.

Looking at the two Rowsons together, maybe nude Osborne is wearing a mask of his own face!
Or that is a pretender disguised, slipping into their foursome sulk-play... but who? The plot thickens.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on George Osborne and his warnings over Brexit – George Osborne is warning that Britain would face a year-long “DIY recession” following a vote to leave the European Union, as he raises the stakes in the referendum battle on Monday with one month until polling day"

Telegraph:

Chelsea Flower Show.

Independent:

Times:

Mail:

'Andrew. Your father and I would like a word!'
Prince Andrew facing more questions about Kazakhstan links

Guardian Sport:

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 24, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Who's the other international manager there?

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Dabir posted:

Who's the other international manager there?

Del Bosque of Spain

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's a shame Squires doesn't work with animations since Pardew's silly dance is so delightful.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Re: those garden cartoons, possibly of interest

https://twitter.com/joshspero/status/735197363778785284

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Tory infighting over the EU referendum – Prime minister says party can join together again despite anger from his Conservative opponents in EU referendum campaign"

Telegraph:

People to be asked about 'gender identity' in census

Independent:

Fracking decision in North Yorkshire reignites intense debate

Times:

Obituary: Burt Kwouk

Mail:
Mac on... Brexit

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

gently caress off, Adams.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I identify as thane. Very convenient because it's the third option.

nobodyssweetheart
Sep 26, 2015

I'm so proud my brother
is death ray panda
I meant to post my favorite old IF... when Heseltine was bitching about Boris/Brexit/reminding people he was still alive last week.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

gently caress off, Adams.

He really is under-rated in the "shittest BritPolToon cartoonist". Mac obviously attracts most of the attention because he does it for the Mail & is an old timey racist, but Adams really is as horrible. I also hate BoB but he's not as reprehensible, just lovely.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

forkboy84 posted:

He really is under-rated in the "shittest BritPolToon cartoonist". Mac obviously attracts most of the attention because he does it for the Mail & is an old timey racist, but Adams really is as horrible. I also hate BoB but he's not as reprehensible, just lovely.

At least Mac can draw pretty well. I think Adams is by far the worst artist posted itt.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I like that Adams had to obscure all the options because he doesn't actually know anything about gender identity and couldn't be bothered to let a little fact-finding get in the way of an easy idea he could knock out before lunch.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

forkboy84 posted:

The Telegraph really is at the forefront of pushing the lovely American style stuff you can see in the other thread

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

J_RBG posted:

The Telegraph really is at the forefront of pushing the lovely American style stuff you can see in the other thread

I tend to conflate Bob and Adams craptastic work together, and yeah, their art suffers from carries the same the stylistic problems that plague the Ameritoons thread; lots of white-space void, over-labelled poo poo, and visually bland artwork.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I like that Adams had to obscure all the options because he doesn't actually know anything about gender identity and couldn't be bothered to let a little fact-finding get in the way of an easy idea he could knock out before lunch.

You mean bi9h and vofity aren't real genders?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Paladinus posted:

You mean bi9h and vofity aren't real genders?
I'd like to think that Adams went on tumblr and found bi9h, vofity, trauin, pine, aviry, and tinda somewhere.

It takes away from the reality that he's a spiteful poo poo who thinks it's all made up.

Which under some readings of gender theory it is, in a manner of speaking. Still, gently caress him.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Pesky Splinter posted:

I tend to conflate Bob and Adams craptastic work together, and yeah, their art suffers from carries the same the stylistic problems that plague the Ameritoons thread; lots of white-space void, over-labelled poo poo, and visually bland artwork.

I can only tell bob and adams apart from looking at their signatures they are dire both content wise and technically as cartoonists.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Lord Sugar's new government role – Lord Sugar, the Apprentice star who has been hired as the government’s new enterprise tsar, had previously been fiercely critical of George Osborne, it has emerged"

Telegraph:

Winnie-the-Pooh story celebrates Queen's 90th; After EH Shepard.

Independent:

George Osborne and Angela Eagle at PMQs

Times:

Union revolt puts both Hollande's future and France's image on the line

Mail:
Mac on... Cameron dodging debates

Guardian Australian Sport:
David Squires on ... Nicky Winmar and Indigenous players in the AFL

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I really want to know what that last panel in the Squires is referencing.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Eddie McGuire said they should use him to promote a production of King Kong, apparently.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Cheers for that. Squires continues to deliver, "He's racisming against white people!" is pure gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

I'm kind of enjoying the making GBS threads on Bob talk. I went to uni with him and I'm surprised to see he got picked up by the telegraph. I remember his political cartoons being as rabidly offensive as he could manage. Much like most of his personality.