Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just read the first issue of the new Nighthawk and oh boooooooooooooooooooooooy is that series a loving mess. You know how TNC's BP is a really studied and interesting take on black perspective re: superheroism? The new Nighthawk is like, the exact opposite of that. It's really just...oh boy. An ugly and angry and gross mess of a book where everyone's some flavor of a worthless rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I'm not really 'in the know' when it comes to comics, but I find it kind of hard to believe that a massive international private entity run by amoral globalist psychopaths would have some sort of vested interest in taking a decades-old hero who, ultimately, represents the courage of the United States and its people, and turn him into a villainous nazi.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I'm not really 'in the know' when it comes to comics, but I find it kind of hard to believe that a massive international private entity run by amoral globalist psychopaths would have some sort of vested interest in taking a decades-old hero who, ultimately, represents the courage of the United States and its people, and turn him into a villainous nazi.

People also tend to conflate "Company X makes some decisions I really don't like" with "Company X is run by literally drooling morons who have no idea what they are doing"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

I just read the first issue of the new Nighthawk and oh boooooooooooooooooooooooy is that series a loving mess. You know how TNC's BP is a really studied and interesting take on black perspective re: superheroism? The new Nighthawk is like, the exact opposite of that. It's really just...oh boy. An ugly and angry and gross mess of a book where everyone's some flavor of a worthless rear end in a top hat.

That's what that character has always been. And David Walker is a good enough writer that I think he'll do something really good with it.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Well it almost sounds silly when you put it like that. Almost.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The people at Marvel who've spent the last several years gritting their teeth and painfully forcing themselves to produce media which could possibly paint America in a positive light are probably pretty happy though so that's good at least.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The people at Marvel who've spent the last several years gritting their teeth and painfully forcing themselves to produce media which could possibly paint America in a positive light are probably pretty happy though so that's good at least.

That reminds me of the first letters column in We Stand On Guard, a comic about the US invading Canada a hundred years in the future. A guy wrote in to say he loved Vaughn's work but wouldn't be able to read this one because the idea of the US invading a neighbor for imperialistic or aggressive reasons was "too liberal" a concept for him to stomach.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Someone remind me, when does the first run of The Heroic Adventures of Sir ISIS go out?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Someone remind me, when does the first run of The Heroic Adventures of Sir ISIS go out?

I'll just wait for the first arc, The War On Christmas, to come out in trade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Twitter is blowing up about it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

team overhead smash posted:

To make it even better, when they hear in a few months time that Captain America isn't a Nazi, they'll think their outrage made the writers change their mind rather than that being the plan all along. They sure showed those liberal elitist types over at Marvel!

Tumblr is already all over this.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
drat. I've always had precisely zero interest in reading Captain America, but I may have to pick this one up (or at least this issue) just to see how it plays out.

Just as planned.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
I think it's a dumb idea to tamper with Cap like this and I wish outrage culture wasn't buying into this so completely but I also wish that these creative types would stop throwing bait out for outrage culture to latch on to.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I really don't think this is an attempt to "bait outrage culture" so much as it is supposed to be a shocking mystery kicking off a story arc.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Way to bait outrage culture by revealing Hank Pym's always been a Skrull, Marvel.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Now see I can see someone who takes their comics way too seriously being a bit pissed about the twist at the of DC Rebirth and understand that. That's a huge gamble and game-changing thing for DC Comics. But this twist is here obviously just part of a storyline that will probably be wrapped up by this time next year.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't think this is an attempt to "bait outrage culture" so much as it is supposed to be a shocking mystery kicking off a story arc.

Yeah but I do think that the furor being generated by this was entirely predictable and should have been avoided. The internet is unpleasant enough without adding this crap to it. What a headache.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

HIJK posted:

I think it's a dumb idea to tamper with Cap like this and I wish outrage culture wasn't buying into this so completely but I also wish that these creative types would stop throwing bait out for outrage culture to latch on to.

You ask for the impossible. It doesn't matter what story they tell some idiots are going to find a way to be upset by it. The subject matter doesn't matter. They just need to get mad about something to distract them from their sadbrains.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HIJK posted:

Yeah but I do think that the furor being generated by this was entirely predictable and should have been avoided. The internet is unpleasant enough without adding this crap to it. What a headache.

Yes they should think about the internet first and abandon any stories that crazies online might not take two seconds to have a rational thought about. That would be the best idea.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

X-O posted:

Yes they should think about the internet first and abandon any stories that crazies online might not take two seconds to have a rational thought about. That would be the best idea.

You put it into words, thank you

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HIJK posted:

You put it into words, thank you

Putting stupid ideas into words is something I have shown a knack for in the past.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I thought I didn't care about this whole thing but I just saw the loving nazi steve stuff being tweeted by NBC News, this is ridiculous. Glad I just don't like Spencer's comics in general.

At least it made this happen as well
https://twitter.com/tlarn/status/735528534698000384

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JoshTheStampede posted:

The internet at large is buying it and is super pissed, or at least the level of comics fans who don't read comics but still decide to get mad at everything they hear are. I've seen a lot of FB/Twitter complaining about it being lazy writing and a slap in the face to long time fans.

I don't really get it, it's like these people have never seen a last-page reveal that turns out to be something else, despite that being like the oldest trick in comics. But yes, assuming NIck Spencer isn't straight up lying when he says it's not mind control, then it's Kobik re-writing his history when she repowered him, probably influenced by Skull or Zemo or someone else who was at Pleasant Hill. Hell, maybe the cube that is Kobik is the one that Skull used to have and it still carries some of his resonance or whatever.

I'm not reading either Cap book, but was Steve's de-aging implied to be separate from the rest of the Avengers getting their powers/gear back? Because in Avengers it looked like Deadpool talked to Kobik for like a minute, and she fixed everyone, so I'm not sure when Skull or Zemo or Sin or whoever would've been able to get to her?

Toxxupation posted:

You'd hate Walker's Power Man or Shaft, then.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I thought I didn't care about this whole thing but I just saw the loving nazi steve stuff being tweeted by NBC News, this is ridiculous. Glad I just don't like Spencer's comics in general.

At least it made this happen as well
https://twitter.com/tlarn/status/735528534698000384

Personally, this is my favorite one.

Also Steve really looks like an rear end in a top hat without the wings.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gaz-L posted:

I'm not reading either Cap book, but was Steve's de-aging implied to be separate from the rest of the Avengers getting their powers/gear back? Because in Avengers it looked like Deadpool talked to Kobik for like a minute, and she fixed everyone, so I'm not sure when Skull or Zemo or Sin or whoever would've been able to get to her?

Yes. Kobik and Steve were alone when she fixed him. And when it did it flashed through his entire history.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Kobik explicitly singles Steve out in Assault Omega if I remember correctly.

quote:

You'd hate Walker's Power Man or Shaft, then.

I haven't read either but man I really didn't like Nighthawk at all. If you and X-O say Walker's a good writer I'll just write it off as Not For Me but just, man.

HIJK posted:

I have to say I'm not crazy about the Steve Rogers reveal on its face (although yeah it's almost certainly a Kobik retcon of his life, and I have faith in Spencer to pull it out) but, man, creators should feel free to fail and certainly shouldn't write stories in fear of how people who don't read comics will react. This line of thinking is really toxic to the state of the industry at large.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If we only had comic stories that didn't offend someone on the internet we'd have no comic stories.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
There is no amount of faith I could have in a writer to believe a twist this dumb and played out will be good especially after the boiler plate "totes really him no mind control guyz" quotes. I might be proven wrong when it's over but I'll be waiting until it hits unlimited and getting a butt load of positive praise.

I mean I wasn't gonna pick it up anyway cause I don't care about Captain America outside of group books but hey I'm talking about it and they probably count that as a win.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 25, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Nick Spencer is a horrible writer and I fully expect this to be a horrible story, but that doesn't excuse the internet's reaction to it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gaz-L posted:

The Skull still has Professor Xavier's telepathy kitbashed into his head, and he was standing right outside the bowling alley while Steve fought Crossbones. He wouldn't have needed to be anywhere near Kobik to influence her, or for that matter, anywhere near Steve.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

I want them to go full Silver Age with this, every comic cover from now on should have a bystander going, "Captain America! Why are you stealing the Liberty Bell?" and "Has Cap really turned Nazi? NOT A DREAM, NOT MIND-CONTROL!"

I am hype for this all-new, all-Nazi Captain America.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'm still :psyduck:ing at the number of people I see freaking out about Marvel ruining Captain America with a retcon this big out of nowhere. Marvel is ruining all the white male characters because they hate them!

NICK SPENCER: "Hello Marvel, I, notorious white man Nick Spencer, have a plan for Captain Amerikkka! I will reveal that he was always a Nazi ever since day one. I will do this, because as a skeleton I hate the white man and wish to see him disappear from Marvel Comics. This change is irreversible, as I will sign a blood pact with gay satan to do it"

MARVEL: "HOLY poo poo SOLD I'LL JUST ASSUME THIS FITS 60+ YEARS OF CONTINUITY! KILL WHITEY!"

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

I have to say I'm not crazy about the Steve Rogers reveal on its face (although yeah it's almost certainly a Kobik retcon of his life, and I have faith in Spencer to pull it out) but, man, creators should feel free to fail and certainly shouldn't write stories in fear of how people who don't read comics will react. This line of thinking is really toxic to the state of the industry at large.

I actually just got back from the comic book shop and picking up the #1 just so I can see what happens. I fully believe in the freedom of creativity, I'm just really tired of this cycle of [thing happens] [Internet pretends to be outraged] [I have several hundred new people to block online.] [repeat ad infinitum]

I guess I wish there was a way around the internet and that people could make the things they want without thousands of people yelling at them. Oh well, Marvel will publish it anyway so no one is losing.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It's not really a story I'm interested in, but in its own way isn't really too different from how Steve Rogers has been written the past several years anyways.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Now they should make Cap and Bucky gay. Break the nerdnet.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lurdiak posted:

Personally, this is my favorite one.

Also Steve really looks like an rear end in a top hat without the wings.

Because he looks almost exactly like Ultimate Captain America.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
That whole twist reeks of a kind of edgelord nonsense that's been plaguing comics since comics writers decided to take the wrong lessons from Watchmen back in the 80s.

Sick Grim and Gritty idea: Take the Jewish anti-Nazi Propaganda Golem representing the progressive ideal of America and make him a secret fascist!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Necroskowitz posted:

That whole twist reeks of a kind of edgelord nonsense that's been plaguing comics since comics writers decided to take the wrong lessons from Watchmen back in the 80s.

Sick Grim and Gritty idea: Take the Jewish anti-Nazi Propaganda Golem representing the progressive ideal of America and make him a secret fascist!

Interesting take, might I interest you in a full refundable copy of DC Rebirth #1 that you might enjoy?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So Cap was evil all along, huh?

Chalk up another win for the Cyclops Was Right camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

HIJK posted:

No. This is dangerous thinking.

Please read what you posted and think about it for a bit.

• Locked thread