Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xinder posted:

seriously, when i saw Bernie dressed like that

this loving wordfilter :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I decided not to edit my post after seeing it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this loving wordfilter :lol:

:yeah:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Haha, Char got word filtered now?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SeanBeansShako posted:

Haha, Char got word filtered now?

quote this

Bernie
Trump
Clinton

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Amusingly, the filter makes them sound a bit like random Gundam pilots as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's going to make it very confusing if I have to talk about Kyosuke's Trump Card.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
We can just call him burger.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I'm holding out on a hope that Origin anime gives a tiny nod to the Zudah losing the competition between Zeonic and Zimmad for the first generation MS spot. If we're getting a kit for the Waff it wouldn't be that farfetched.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

PBS Newshour posted:

Jerid is my favorite so far. My favorite characters are always arrogant people who repeatedly fail.

Fun Zeta drinking game: take a shot whenever Jerid fucks up or gets his rear end kicked

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kuvo posted:

Fun Zeta drinking game: take a shot whenever Jerid fucks up or gets his rear end kicked

Sounds like a fun way to die of alcohol poisoning.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

We can just call him burger.
Or call him Mr. Wiseman. Hugo Weaving impressions optional.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Xinder posted:

I decided not to edit my post after seeing it.

I thought it was some sort of inside joke I wasn't getting and that there existed a video out there of Bernad's death set to the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

So just finished Episode 8 of Zeta, my thoughts so far on the series:
-I am warming up to Kamille much more quickly than I did with Amuro. Quattro is a great new totally original character, mysterious yet oddly familiar. Really though I was surpised about the amount of Char in this so far, like I am glad of it but I expected him to be like Amuro was in this episode, briefly making a cameo appearance in the beginning and showing up later.
-The whole political aspect of the show seems to be much more interesting this time around. Like there are just a lot more motivations going in to this it seems.
-I really like Bright but god it was hilarious how the Titans were being dicks to him by making him reach for the paper and patting him on the back while he was injured.

Jerid is my favorite so far. My favorite characters are always arrogant people who repeatedly fail.

Out of curiosity, are you watching dub or sub?

Kamille is awesome. My favorite Gundam MC.

Quattro is my favorite incarnation of Char. MSG Char was just too much of a dick for me to care about.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I just finished Unicorn and its kind of funny to me how it basically completely loses me IMMEDIATELY as the Neo Zeong appears

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Unicorn doesn't stick the landing, yeah. It's good otherwise, including the Laplace's Box reveal.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

NikkolasKing posted:

Out of curiosity, are you watching dub or sub?

Kamille is awesome. My favorite Gundam MC.

Quattro is my favorite incarnation of Char. MSG Char was just too much of a dick for me to care about.

Dub.

What I like about Kamille so far is that he does things with style compare to Amuro. When he gets punch he does like a falling roll backwards instead of just standing their in shock.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bear witness to the driving tradition of the middle ages!
https://twitter.com/HistoryImg/status/735402708052541440

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

muike posted:

I just finished Unicorn and its kind of funny to me how it basically completely loses me IMMEDIATELY as the Neo Zeong appears

It didnt lose me but as something i was anticipating i was rather let down by the whole thing. Its less a mobile armor than a weird boss monster thingy. Its like, "you were supposed to be cool man" but even by mobile armor standards its silly.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Motto posted:

This brought the biggest, dumbest smile to my face today.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

DamnGlitch posted:

It didnt lose me but as something i was anticipating i was rather let down by the whole thing. Its less a mobile armor than a weird boss monster thingy. Its like, "you were supposed to be cool man" but even by mobile armor standards its silly.

I meant the whole thing but yeah the Neo Zeong itself was pretty dull too. The Mobile Suit Body Horror Incoms were really strange.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

Duker Iq is the best thing to come out of victory

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

I haven't seen Unicorn yet, but all I can picture is a couple thousand mechanics watching it launch for the first time going "there it goes, the one and only time that colossal bastard is going to work properly :sigh:", and every subsequent fight starting with Full Frontal being told two of the arms don't work or it can't turn left.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Neo Zeong is entirely an anime invention because they needed a Final Boss, right?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I haven't seen Unicorn yet, but all I can picture is a couple thousand mechanics watching it launch for the first time going "there it goes, the one and only time that colossal bastard is going to work properly :sigh:", and every subsequent fight starting with Full Frontal being told two of the arms don't work or it can't turn left.

It lasts about a quarter of an episode so at least they don;t have to worry about that part

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

The Neo Zeong is entirely an anime invention because they needed a Final Boss, right?

On the Gundam wiki it's listed in the mobile weapons roster for the novel too.

So it looks like it's actually the book's author who thought they needed a final boss :pseudo:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I can forgive Full Frontal's magic carpet ride, I can't forgive the pointless fridging.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

MonsieurChoc posted:

I can forgive Full Frontal's magic carpet ride, I can't forgive the pointless fridging.

as soon as she woke up from the coma she was basically in "time to go pointlessly die to motivate male characters" mode

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Her death really ruins the whole ride for me. I would have enjoyed the anime adaptation a ton more if they changed that.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Her death really ruins the whole ride for me. I would have enjoyed the anime adaptation a ton more if they changed that.

Shoulda killed Banahger.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

muike posted:

as soon as she woke up from the coma she was basically in "time to go pointlessly die to motivate male characters" mode

It basically obliterates her entire character arc, making it pointless.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Seriously I back up both utterly loving pointless statements as well.

Oh Unicorn, why are you so pretty looking but so very very dumb towards the end.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously I back up both utterly loving pointless statements as well.

Oh Unicorn, why are you so pretty looking but so very very dumb towards the end.

Following in the tradition of 90s Gundam OVAs. 0080 was 80s, it doesn't count.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsieurChoc posted:

It basically obliterates her entire character arc, making it pointless.

I don't really agree with this. Her entire character arc was about her coming to terms with her past and realizing that she's her own person and not a robot who needs a master to give her orders, none of which was invalidated by her dying. She went out to help Banagher and the Nahel Argama of her own accord and then she forgave Riddhe of her own accord after she died. It being a sad and abrupt end to her life just as she had begun to actually live it for the first time doesn't mean that her arc didn't happen or was totally pointless. If not for her making those decisions, Riddhe wouldn't have snapped out of his funk and Frontal would have won.

Honestly, the drama involving Banagher/Riddhe/Marida/Mineva were the only pretty good parts of the last episode.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Marida dying sucks because it's fulfilling a cliche but it absolutely makes sense thematically.

She is someone who was an object and she ends her story by becoming a person. Riddhe kills her and in killing her realizes what a horrible loving mistake he made (in a direct callback to Lalah's death) while at the same time her actual death has impact on those around her. She dies but she dies as a person instead of living as an object, and her death being as a person and forcing that impact onto Riddhe is fairly central to the themes.

In addition it allows the chance for Zimmerman to make a different decision. Zimmerman spent his entire life seeking revenge for the death of his family and it basically destroyed him and reinforced the cycle of violence. Marida's death forces him to re-encounter the position he had before and rather than it breaking him, his interactions with her allow him to make a healthier decision that shatters the cycle of violence and revenge that is a central part of Unicorn's story.

Now, this is unarguably for the development of dudes and that does suck, but it isn't thematically inappropriate. SRW reverses it and has *Zimmerman* (appear to) die for Marida which allows them to hit the same thematic point of getting over revenge without making it All About The Dudes. However even there they need the apparent-death to happen because it's really important to the story for it to happen.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Marida was in a Stellar situation where her various surgeries and modifications meant her days were numbered anyway, so it was really a question of how she would die. A peaceful life with her surrogate dad would probably last a few months or a couple of years at most. Remember that bit in the Nahel Argama's sickbay?

It's usually best to assume that if someone's a Cyber-Newtype or alternate-company equivalent, they're a walking corpse that hasn't fallen over yet, and not just because of their near-100% battlefield mortality rate. Turning people into super-soldiers in Gundam fucks them uuup. And then, of course, there's Marida's other career, which didn't greatly help her long-term health either.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

SRW reverses it and has *Zimmerman* (appear to) die for Marida which allows them to hit the same thematic point of getting over revenge without making it All About The Dudes.

It would have been a million times more interesting if Zimmerman had gone out in a rusty old Zeon suit and bitten the bullet protecting Marida in the actual OVA.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Kanos posted:

I don't really agree with this. Her entire character arc was about her coming to terms with her past and realizing that she's her own person and not a robot who needs a master to give her orders, none of which was invalidated by her dying. She went out to help Banagher and the Nahel Argama of her own accord and then she forgave Riddhe of her own accord after she died. It being a sad and abrupt end to her life just as she had begun to actually live it for the first time doesn't mean that her arc didn't happen or was totally pointless. If not for her making those decisions, Riddhe wouldn't have snapped out of his funk and Frontal would have won.

Honestly, the drama involving Banagher/Riddhe/Marida/Mineva were the only pretty good parts of the last episode.

Really?

Really?

Like, re-read what you wrote. Her learning to become a person and live is rendered wasted time because she dies right afterward, for a dude.

Edit: No, you see, it's ok that she gets randomly killed in the stupidest manner possible by the worst character, because she did it as a person.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 26, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Really?

Really?

Like, re-read what you wrote. Her learning to become a person and live is rendered wasted time because she dies right afterward, for a dude.

That is explicit untrue, not in the least because the setting ins explicitly one where she lives on after death and that is a central part of the story, as well as the fact that "they died so everything that happened was meaningless" isn't actually true regardless.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Edit: No, you see, it's ok that she gets randomly killed in the stupidest manner possible by the worst character, because she did it as a person.

Are you just upset because a character you liked got killed by a character you disliked?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:50 on May 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That is explicit untrue, not in the least because the setting ins explicitly one where she lives on after death and that is a central part of the story, as well as the fact that "they died so everything that happened was meaningless" isn't actually true regardless.

It's explicitly true because she's loving dead. The fact that Newtype heard echoes of her thoughts or whatever for five seconds afterwards doesn't mean poo poo because she's loving dead.

It's like if Snake really did kill himself at the end of MGS4.