Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Why would they even keep the catch rate at capture for every Pokemon in a party or box? :psyduck: I mean, of course, we just saw that it turned out to be useful, but I doubt they predicted a sequel, and that's a byte per possible Pokemon you can have, which is probably a lot in GB terms. I thought catch rate was only kept as a constant per species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cerony posted:

I had a lot of trouble trying to defeat Morty during my very first playthrough because I kept brute forcing him with Bayleef.

Odd, I never had any trouble with him. Geodude/Graveler with magnitude can sort out everything in the gym if you don't get unlucky.

Lavender menace
Nov 7, 2012

by Lowtax
I remember trading the Jynx you get for the ingame trade in Red over to gold and it was holding a focus band, both my cartridges are long dead so this is just from memory so i could be wrong about that.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I never did understand why they made two whole gyms for types that, at the time, consisted of one evolution line and a single new Pokemon. You'd have thought they at least replace one with Dark since there were more of them. I still don't know why Dark has yet to get a gym.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Geostomp posted:

I never did understand why they made two whole gyms for types that, at the time, consisted of one evolution line and a single new Pokemon. You'd have thought they at least replace one with Dark since there were more of them. I still don't know why Dark has yet to get a gym.
A theory is that it's because Dark type is literally called "evil type" (あくタイプ, aku taipu) in Japanese, and they don't want to make a gym that's straight up refered to as the "evil gym".

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Morty is always either a cakewalk or pretty loving difficult for what you have at the time. At least for me. There's no middle ground.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

A theory is that it's because Dark type is literally called "evil type" (あくタイプ, aku taipu) in Japanese, and they don't want to make a gym that's straight up refered to as the "evil gym".

Which always seemed silly. I'm sure they could have fun with it. Either lean into it and have them be populated so with the evil team like Giovanni or have it full of punks who are nice and bummed over the bad rap

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Alternatively, go the middle route and have it full of try-hard people pretending to be Muahahahaha evil. There was at least one Hex Maniac like that in Gen 6.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

rannum posted:

Which always seemed silly. I'm sure they could have fun with it. Either lean into it and have them be populated so with the evil team like Giovanni or have it full of punks who are nice and bummed over the bad rap

There are tons of non-villainous themes they could try for Dark type gyms. The most obvious are rockers, good hearted thugs, or goths. Given a certain starter's popularity and marketing, why not go for ninjas again? That or go superhero-themed with a copyright-friendly Batman analogue. There isn't any obvious reason why Dark doesn't have a gym yet. Especially since we've had three Dark Elite Four members.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
There's one really hilarious way to cheese the entire Ghost gym, which is what I always did: Backtrack to Goldenrod City and get the Eevee from Bill, then level it up until it learns Bite. Since Eevee is Normal-type, pretty much nothing in the gym can really hurt it, and Bite tears through everything in there.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Holy crap. I never really had the opportunity to trade, and I thought the hold items added in trades were based on the pokemon's type. I had no clue it used something as arbitrary as catch rate (and differences between RB and Y).

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Geostomp posted:

There are tons of non-villainous themes they could try for Dark type gyms. The most obvious are rockers, good hearted thugs, or goths. Given a certain starter's popularity and marketing, why not go for ninjas again? That or go superhero-themed with a copyright-friendly Batman analogue. There isn't any obvious reason why Dark doesn't have a gym yet. Especially since we've had three Dark Elite Four members.

A Jotaro clone is the gym leader.

Anyway, gently caress Morty, I could never beat him as a kid. And this is after I grinned up to Typlosion for the silver fight.

I was not good at this game past using brute force and fire.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I always thought the Team <Blank>s were supposed to be kind of a dark gym. I mean, you fight trainers with the types, then eventually fight the big boss.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I always thought the Team <Blank>s were supposed to be kind of a dark gym. I mean, you fight trainers with the types, then eventually fight the big boss.

Yeah but they always use the lovely Dark types.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I remembered that Morty's name is Morty and almost instinctually did a Rick impersonation.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kikas posted:

There are so many cool and good Dark types, it's a shame they don't get used more in the games. Almost every final evolution of a Dark type has at least one stat over 100, though I guess they can be pretty frail and don't always have great movepools.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kikas posted:

I will hear no more of this slander against sandile and it's :krad: evolutions

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A Gym Leader with an Umbreon as their main pokemon would be the most frustrating fight ever

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The only way we could've gotten a Dark leader in this gen would for it to be the last gym with a team of Murkrow, Umbreon, Houndoom and Tyranitar. It at least has more variety than Clair's Dragonair x3 with a Kingdra and Lance's Dragonite x3 with three other Dragon lookalikes. It's also quite telling that Umbreon is the only Dark type you can obtain before the postgame and that Karen doesn't even use Tyranitar, instead opting for Vileplume and Gengar, which thematically fits, but come on.

They even made a Steel Gym just fine and only used two of the six Steel types.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Hell, a Dark gym leader could just go Houndour/Umbreon/Houndoom.

Or Houndour/Murkrow/Houndoom.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

A Gym Leader with an Umbreon as their main pokemon would be the most frustrating fight ever

Technically there's Greta.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

SilverGryphon posted:

There's one really hilarious way to cheese the entire Ghost gym, which is what I always did: Backtrack to Goldenrod City and get the Eevee from Bill, then level it up until it learns Bite. Since Eevee is Normal-type, pretty much nothing in the gym can really hurt it, and Bite tears through everything in there.

Bonus Gen IV strategy: Catch a Scrappy Miltank on Route 38, Stomp your way to victory, and become what you've always hated.:unsmigghh:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

too bad you only play as Wes

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Some Numbers posted:

Hell, a Dark gym leader could just go Houndour/Umbreon/Houndoom.

Or Houndour/Murkrow/Houndoom.

I'd say my wishlist for a Dark Gym, should be the 8th gym. Umbreon, Weavile, Crawdaunt.

Gear Router
Apr 1, 2011
Wigglytuff can be encounter legitimately if you look in in Cerulean Cave in Red and Blue; it can't be encountered wild in yellow.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Silegna posted:

I'd say my wishlist for a Dark Gym, should be the 8th gym. Umbreon, Weavile, Crawdaunt.

Obviously in later generations it gets way easier; I was thinking about what a Gen 2 dark gym would have been.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Obviously in later generations it gets way easier; I was thinking about what a Gen 2 dark gym would have been.

Ah, yeah, that'd work.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You guys aren't thinking in the proper Gen II encounter design mindset.

It would just be the Gym Leader and all they'd have is an Umbreon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Silegna posted:

I want to toss in some Pangoro and the obligatory Mega-Absol. Possibly a Honchcrow.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dr Pepper posted:

You guys aren't thinking in the proper Gen II encounter design mindset.

It would just be the Gym Leader and all they'd have is an Umbreon.

The umbreon is level 60, the highest level random encounter available is level 30.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

The umbreon is level 60, the highest level random encounter available is level 30.

Don't remind me of the level curve of Yellow and Gen 2, thank you.
What were they THINKING when they made the Kanto Routes HAVE THE SAME LEVELS OF GEN 1!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Silegna posted:

Don't remind me of the level curve of Yellow and Gen 2, thank you.
What were they THINKING when they made the Kanto Routes HAVE THE SAME LEVELS OF GEN 1!

They were going for that true sequel feel and wanted world consistency.

That's why we're not getting another dual-region game. They smartened up a bit.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kikas posted:

They dropped that idea in BW2 though, in which the early-game routes in Black and White are postgame in BW2.

They have levels appropriate to postgame areas.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Kikas posted:

I guess. Going back to the Gen 1 world after the end of 2 is my favorite moment in all of Pokemon. Revisiting the old towns, seeing what changed, what hasn't, etc. That guy in that port town finally finished his house :shobon: Of course, I haven't done it since I was a pre-teen, so the magic might have worn off by now.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Crosspiece, you said a few times in the side notes that Wigglytuff can't be caught, but in Red and Blue you can actually catch Wigglytuff in Cerulean Cave. And you can buy it as a prize at the game corner in Yellow.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Gear Router posted:

Wigglytuff can be encounter legitimately if you look in in Cerulean Cave in Red and Blue; it can't be encountered wild in yellow.

MissileWaster posted:

Crosspiece, you said a few times in the side notes that Wigglytuff can't be caught, but in Red and Blue you can actually catch Wigglytuff in Cerulean Cave. And you can buy it as a prize at the game corner in Yellow.

Thank you both for the correction.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

This may be way too nerdy to mention, but I've been working on and off again on a region for a Pokemon story I'm working on with a friend. Which probably isn't going to go anywhere, BUT the key reason I bring this up, is because one of the Gym Leaders in the region is a Dark-type leader.

She's an astrologian who actually grew up to be raised as a Psychic, as she did have ESP potential as a child, and the town she was raised in was known for the supernatural. The reason why she switched over is because a wounded Absol came to the village, and she tended to its wounds, and decided to raise that as her signature Pokemon, rather than the Abra that her and her classmates were borrowing from the school (To get used to Pokemon). The problem with this? Well she was a bit too young to go and just pick her own starter willy-nilly, much less a Dark-type. But after reading about what Absol even is, she decided to have her own philosophy, how even in the worst moments, you can always count on having one person to stick by you. So for this lady, her trusted partner was the Absol she tended to, and she decided Dark-types symbolized her to a T, compared to sticking around a village who seemed hesitant about a so-called harbinger like a yin-yang beast.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

And that's [strike]quarter[/strike]half of the badges obtained. But man, I feel a bit bad for taking down Morty so easily.

[s], not strike.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

LightningKimba posted:

This may be way too nerdy to mention, but I've been working on and off again on a region for a Pokemon story I'm working on with a friend. Which probably isn't going to go anywhere, BUT the key reason I bring this up, is because one of the Gym Leaders in the region is a Dark-type leader.

She's an astrologian who actually grew up to be raised as a Psychic, as she did have ESP potential as a child, and the town she was raised in was known for the supernatural. The reason why she switched over is because a wounded Absol came to the village, and she tended to its wounds, and decided to raise that as her signature Pokemon, rather than the Abra that her and her classmates were borrowing from the school (To get used to Pokemon). The problem with this? Well she was a bit too young to go and just pick her own starter willy-nilly, much less a Dark-type. But after reading about what Absol even is, she decided to have her own philosophy, how even in the worst moments, you can always count on having one person to stick by you. So for this lady, her trusted partner was the Absol she tended to, and she decided Dark-types symbolized her to a T, compared to sticking around a village who seemed hesitant about a so-called harbinger like a yin-yang beast.

Did her village get destroyed in some kind of disaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Some Numbers posted:

Did her village get destroyed in some kind of disaster?

Well the idea I had in mind was that the Absol was running away from one of the rampaging legendaries of the region, BUT, considering the village's connection to myths... Seeing a harbinger at all is a Huge Deal.

I really should work on it more sometime, work makes it difficult to work on hobbies! :saddowns:

• Locked thread