Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Gyges posted:

On the plus side, if he's stationed at Leavenworth they can just live in Missouri. Not that the phrase "On the bright side, you can live in Missouri" is one of the most reassuring ones in the English language.

Wichita. It was so depressing going over there to visit but thankfully they are coming here next time we get together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

ChaseSP posted:

Wichita.

I am so sorry.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Phone posted:

Much like spilled milk, Obamacare, and Benghazi: only delusional morons think that burning calories over concern trolling about Clinton's email server give a poo poo.

Keep loving that chicken, it's a good look.

being pissed about her keeping IC/SAP information on a server is not exactly concern trolling.

I'm still going to vote for her because I think she'd make a good president and she has an excellent understanding of foreign policy and fantastic track record on foreign policy, which is what I care about first and foremost.

also it was probably safer on her server than on the SD's servers which is kinda hilarious but hardly a defense.

But that still doesn't mean it was remotely okay however.
also thank god the wordfilters are gone.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

Wichita. It was so depressing going over there to visit but thankfully they are coming here next time we get together.

They just voted to extend the school day 30 minutes so they didn't have to close down schools and it's been spun as greedy teachers want longer summer breaks so yeah it's all hosed down here

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

My Face When posted:

I am so sorry.

He wanted to live near his parents and my sister was against this but went along anyway. She's saying it's no big deal and is sure they won't actually shut the schools down which I'm hopeful for but ugh.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

a shameful boehner posted:

There's a bug in there somewhere I'm sure.

Wasn't there an issue recently with one of the Mars craft where they improperly calculated a landing vector or something because the calculations were done in imperial feet instead of yards?

The shuttle's software was near-literally bug-free in the sense that it will never, ever, ever, in any realistic scenario, accidentally fire a thruster and kill the crew. It was written by systematically defining and programming to a full profile of conceivable possible states very, very specifically, rigorously, and with an acceptance of sharp limitations in the service of reliability. For instance, as a tradeoff to simplify the way time is handled, year changes are not accounted for, so no shuttles were ever in space across New Year's. Most memory is given over to cross-checking redundant computers against each other.

The OS is also named HAL :awesomelon:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Didn't they also have the programmers and QA in some sort of mortal combat where every time they found a bug a dev would be killed and every time they didn't a QA would be killed?

I think I'm remembering that right

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Grey Fox posted:

I'd chalk it up to Trump's litigious nature.

50/50 between that and CNN's general pervasive awfulness

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I mostly pointed it out since it's an inconvenient truth leftists like to ignore, but it really doesn't address my overall point that there's a pretty profound difference between slightly less than a trillion in national defense spending, and 5-8 trillion spent per year. Sure, it'd be an economic stimulus, but that doesn't mean it's automatically affordable.

It does mean that though, the money exists in the economy (GDP is many times that figure) and if it's a stimulus then by definition it has a fiscal multiplier greater than one, in other words every dollar you spend on it increases GDP by more than one dollar.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

The Iron Rose posted:

I mostly pointed it out since it's an inconvenient truth leftists like to ignore, but it really doesn't address my overall point that there's a pretty profound difference between slightly less than a trillion in national defense spending, and 5-8 trillion spent per year. Sure, it'd be an economic stimulus, but that doesn't mean it's automatically affordable.

I don't think a person who flies thousands of miles a month has room to talk about unsustainable costs.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

rscott posted:

They just voted to extend the school day 30 minutes so they didn't have to close down schools and it's been spun as greedy teachers want longer summer breaks so yeah it's all hosed down here

That people can gently caress with something as fundamentally good as public education and not feel bad about it is a surefire sign to me that the right-wing-minded people in this country are broken.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I guess Susanna Martinez won't be veep.

EDIT: You can guess what comes after Vince Foster in Trump's dictionary.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

I don't understand how you got your $5-8T figure. You don't give $20k to everyone, just those making under $20k a year (which is 20% of the population). I assume it would cost more like 1T a year and basically replaces Social Security entirely.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Iron Rose posted:

Ok, now I'm sitting down at a real computer.

A GMI of 12k per year for all Americans wouldn't cost 5-8 trillion; it would cost about three and a half trillion. Going by the calculator I posted earlier, we can raise that money by

1) eliminating war funding after 2021 (820 billion savings)
2) reducing US navy fleet to 230 ships (110 billion savings)
3) establishing a public option on the health care exchanges (220 billion savings)
3) Raising the social security tax cap to cover 90% of earnings (550 billion savings) (personally, I'd eliminate the cap entirely)
4) Enacting the "Buffett Rule" (90 billion in savings)
5) 5.4% surtax on yearly incomes above one million (550 billion savings)
6) replace the Joint Strike Fighter with f18s and f16's (50 billion estimated savings)

Those changes take us to two trillion, 390 billion, or about two-thirds of the cost, and that's just what I can document from the calculator. As you say, there are many other programs where spending could be cut and the money spent more efficiently on a GMI (we don't need any more Abrams tanks), and a lot of programs would be made redundant by the GMI (much of social security, for one) so there would be considerable savings there too. There's also the stimulative effect of the GMI itself to consider.

There are other more detailed GMI proposals floating around, such as this one from business insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-to-fund-a-guaranteed-basic-income-2013-12

see also http://qz.com/611644/we-talked-to-five-experts-about-what-it-would-take-to-actually-institute-universal-basic-income/

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 26, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

axeil posted:

You're free to think whatever you want, it's a free country*.

*Unless you are a banker in which case it's apparently Just and Good to savagely beat you and kill you for something you took no part in.

capitalism is the enemy, comrade

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

This link does the math to get $1.1T a year for a scaled $7k GMI, a doubled 14k GMI would give you 2.2T a year then.

8T is crazy and also happens to be the laziest 30k*250million math that doesn't make any sense.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I don't think a person who flies thousands of miles a month has room to talk about unsustainable costs.

I was wondering when this would come up! I'm glad to see "I've been on probably several hundred flights over two decades" has now morphed into me flying dozens of times a month.

don't you guys in dadchat think that I always fly first class or something too?

VitalSigns posted:

It does mean that though, the money exists in the economy (GDP is many times that figure) and if it's a stimulus then by definition it has a fiscal multiplier greater than one, in other words every dollar you spend on it increases GDP by more than one dollar.

well, no, not really, because there are significant inflation concerns. We can afford quantitive easing, we probably can't afford dumping trillions of US dollars into the economy every single year. Unlike most other nations inflationary pressure is curbed by international demand, but that can't keep up forever.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stereotype posted:

This link does the math to get $1.1T a year for a scaled $7k GMI, a doubled 14k GMI would give you 2.2T a year then.

8T is crazy and also happens to be the laziest 30k*250million math that doesn't make any sense.

Right, exactly. I don't know where he's pulling this eight trillion number from but I suspect it's a place without much sunlight.

A GMI is a minimum income. It's not about getting everyone up to 30k a year; it's about getting everyone up to basic subsistence level so they don't starve or die of exposure.

And yes, I routinely work with people whose incomes are low enough that this kind of GMI would represent a radical increase in their income.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 26, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, now I'm sitting down at a real computer.

A GMI of 12k per year for all Americans wouldn't cost 5-8 trillion; it would cost about three and a half trillion. Going by the calculator I posted earlier, we can raise that money by

1) eliminating war funding after 2021 (820 billion savings)
2) reducing US navy fleet to 230 ships (110 billion savings)
3) establishing a public option on the health care exchanges (220 billion savings)
3) Raising the social security tax cap to cover 90% of earnings (550 billion savings) (personally, I'd eliminate the cap entirely)
4) Enacting the "Buffett Rule" (90 billion in savings)
5) 5.4% surtax on yearly incomes above one million (550 billion savings)
6) replace the Joint Strike Fighter with f18s and f16's (50 billion estimated savings)

Those changes take us to two trillion, 390 billion, or about two-thirds of the cost, and that's just what I can document from the calculator. As you say, there are many other programs where spending could be cut and the money spent more efficiently on a GMI (we don't need any more Abrams tanks), and a lot of programs would be made redundant by the GMI (much of social security, for one) so there would be considerable savings there too. There's also the stimulative effect of the GMI itself to consider.

There are other more detailed GMI proposals floating around, such as this one from business insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-to-fund-a-guaranteed-basic-income-2013-12

see also http://qz.com/611644/we-talked-to-five-experts-about-what-it-would-take-to-actually-institute-universal-basic-income/

Not that I disagree with the spirit, but isn't point 6 kinda iffy because of the costs of restarting and expanding production lines? You have to do it to have enough spare parts on hand even if you don't build any new planes. Our current stocks can't exactly last decades, and current production of both is way down due to the expected halt of ordering. So that would seem to take out a chunk of the expected savings (which look to be just what you get from no more F35 program).

The Iron Rose posted:

I was wondering when this would come up! I'm glad to see "I've been on probably several hundred flights over two decades" has now morphed into me flying dozens of times a month.

Did Ontario and SoCal move next door when I wasn't looking? Pretty sure they're still about 2000 miles distant, and ~300 flights per 20 years (since you said several hundred, rather than a couple hundred) works out to a flight and a quarter a month. Even more per month if you meant more than 300 flights the past 20 years.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 26, 2016

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

well, no, not really, because there are significant inflation concerns. We can afford quantitive easing, we probably can't afford dumping trillions of US dollars into the economy every single year. Unlike most other nations inflationary pressure is curbed by international demand, but that can't keep up forever.

Really? Are there inflation concerns? What sort of thing do you expect people are going to be drastically increasing demand for when they have all of $7k a year?

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

The Iron Rose posted:

Please, don't drag Dadchat into this. I had issues with your insufferable richie-rich chickenhawk poo poo years before I posted there.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

The Iron Rose posted:

not like you've complained about having to forego it or anything

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"Well see if we can't hang the horrible fate of being destitute homeless and starving over a person, we couldn't get them to do horrible unsafe underpaid jobs and thus prices for our useless garbage would increase!" -most of america

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Iron Rose posted:

being pissed about her keeping IC/SAP information on a server is not exactly concern trolling.

I'm still going to vote for her because I think she'd make a good president and she has an excellent understanding of foreign policy and fantastic track record on foreign policy, which is what I care about first and foremost.

also it was probably safer on her server than on the SD's servers which is kinda hilarious but hardly a defense.

But that still doesn't mean it was remotely okay however.
also thank god the wordfilters are gone.

she had original classification authority; classification literally doesn't apply to her

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

fishmech posted:

Not that I disagree with the spirit, but isn't point 6 kinda iffy because of the costs of restarting and expanding production lines? You have to do it to have enough spare parts on hand even if you don't build any new planes. Our current stocks can't exactly last decades, and current production of both is way down due to the expected halt of ordering. So that would seem to take out a chunk of the expected savings (which look to be just what you get from no more F35 program).

Yeah I was just grabbing those numbers from the calculator I posted earlier : http://crfb.org/stabilizethedebt/

It's a toy put out by a right wing anti tax think tank but it's still a useful toy because it gives a lot of numbers that can serve as useful pegs for this sort of discussion as long as we don't take them too seriously. For example, there's no particular reason we should only be raising the social security tax cap to cover 90% of earnings rather than eliminating it completely, but go figure.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yeah I was just grabbing those numbers from the calculator I posted earlier : http://crfb.org/stabilizethedebt/

It's a toy put out by a right wing anti tax think tank but it's still a useful toy because it gives a lot of numbers that can serve as useful pegs for this sort of discussion as long as we don't take them too seriously. For example, there's no particular reason we should only be raising the social security tax cap to cover 90% of earnings rather than eliminating it completely, but go figure.

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the link!

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Remind me, Iron Rose is the lunatic Henry Kissinger wannabe who argues that all of our foreign policy blunders these past forty years were actually cool and rad because destabilizing and weakening the rest of the planet is Actually Good because he attributes all increases in quality of life in the world since 1950 on there only being one Superpower. So as long as an action increases the power differential between us and another country its moral so therefore slaughter hajji ragheads and monkeymen subhumans forever dawg. yo. broseph.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i'm not going to lie to you, i thought The Iron Rose's "america must project FORCE *slams iron fist on table*" shtick was a very involved gimmick until right now

these are the times that try men's soul

rscott posted:

there are a lot of things about america that truly, truly suck, but our outright contempt for teachers is one of the more depressing ones to me

(this is not an implication or invitation to argue that teachers don't get hosed right and raw in other countries, i can only speak for the places i've lived)

Zelder fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 26, 2016

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Schizotek posted:

Remind me, Iron Rose is the lunatic Henry Kissinger wannabe who argues that all of our foreign policy blunders these past forty years were actually cool and rad because destabilizing and weakening the rest of the planet is Actually Good because he attributes all increases in quality of life in the world since 1950 on there only being one Superpower. So as long as an action increases the power differential between us and another country its moral so therefore slaughter hajji ragheads and monkeymen subhumans forever dawg. yo. broseph.

She.

But yes.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

God, Trump's going to be such a hilarious, terrifying disaster in the general election.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

“We have got to get your governor to get going,” Trump said to a cheering audience. “She’s got to do a better job. Okay? Your governor has got to do a better job. She’s not doing the job. Hey! Maybe I’ll run for governor of New Mexico. I’ll get this place going. She’s not doing the job. We’ve got to get her moving. Come on: Let’s go, governor.”

You could probably string together a solid children's book from Trump's speeches.

The Laziest Governor

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I also think there's a continuum between "the American military provides its peacekeeping operations and so on and so forth" and "we must expand trillions of dollars into the forever war for poo poo we're basically never going to use." Nobody is saying "we should have no tanks," but rather, "we don't need all the tanks we have, we can get by with fewer tanks." We could pare down our carriers a little and still have more carriers than the rest of the world combined, etc.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

not like you've complained about having to forego it or anything

quote me yo

if I remember right it was probably that occasion where the tsa made me miss my flight since I'm trans

Stereotype posted:

Really? Are there inflation concerns? What sort of thing do you expect people are going to be drastically increasing demand for when they have all of $7k a year?

That's not the demand i'm referring to.

fishmech posted:

Did Ontario and SoCal move next door when I wasn't looking? Pretty sure they're still about 2000 miles distant, and ~300 flights per 20 years (since you said several hundred, rather than a couple hundred) works out to a flight and a quarter a month. Even more per month if you meant more than 300 flights the past 20 years.

Fair enough I suppose

Right, exactly. I don't know where he's pulling this eight trillion number from but I suspect it's a place without much sunlight.

A GMI is a minimum income. It's not about getting everyone up to 30k a year; it's about getting everyone up to basic subsistence level so they don't starve or die of exposure.

And yes, I routinely work with people whose incomes are low enough that this kind of GMI would represent a radical increase in their income.

That's an entirely different proposition and significantly more reasonable than providing everyone in the united states the equivalent of a $15/hr wage, which is what I was basing my objections off of.

Providing subsidies to the poorest americans to give them 7 or even 14k a year is significantly more reasonable.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nessus posted:

Nobody is saying "we should have no tanks,"

There are actually people who say this. Hi.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joementum posted:

Sorry, I'm going to have to misrepresent your opinion and pedantically dissect it over the next four pages.

Do you mean this in the sense of "we shouldn't have armored vehicles of this sort, their day is past" or in the sense of "we shouldn't bother having some advanced ground forces"? I can see the point for #1.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

I don't understand any of the numbers on this website. Notice that the goal of this website is to get the government to have an enormous surplus? The 2015 deficit was only $500B, but you are supposed to be cutting like $3T to get to a "sustainable" debt/GDP ratio of 60% in 10 years. Basically a completely idiotic austerity policy that will decimate the economy.

Also the only marginal tax alteration you can change is a new 45% bracket above $1M, something they admit will bring in $550B a year and would solve the deficit! lol what a loving joke.

We really should get rid of the mortgage interest deduction too, it artificially raises home prices so it doesn't help with home purchases amongst first time homebuyers anymore.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

The Iron Rose posted:

That's not the demand i'm referring to.

What the gently caress are you talking about then? Why would a GMI cause inflation?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

The Iron Rose posted:

That's an entirely different proposition and significantly more reasonable than providing everyone in the united states the equivalent of a $15/hr wage, which is what I was basing my objections off of.

Providing subsidies to the poorest americans to give them 7 or even 14k a year is significantly more reasonable.

Yeah, I've never seen a 15/hour wage equivalent GMI seriously proposed.

Personally I'd like to see, as above, a 12k minimum income GMI added on top of our current existing public welfare infrastructure -- mostly because the current infrastructure is interdependent and it would take time to work out all the kinks with a GMI.

For example, being on Social Security disability is one way to qualify for Medicaid. If we suddenly abolish SSDI and replace it with a GMI -- that's great, but do those people still qualify for Medicaid? Maybe not! Are landlords who were previously required to provide a certain number of Section 8 housing units (perhaps under contract?) still required to offer housing to people spending their GMI? What if the GMI wasn't enough due to high rental costs in the area? So on, so forth.

It's something we need but it would need to be phased in gradually on top of and as part of the existing system.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nessus posted:

Sorry, I'm going to have to misrepresent your opinion and pedantically dissect it over the next four pages.

Do you mean this in the sense of "we shouldn't have armored vehicles of this sort, their day is past" or in the sense of "we shouldn't bother having some advanced ground forces"? I can see the point for #1.

You're reading me too narrowly. Expand it to include everything Congress is required to reauthorize every two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

While they would be at least as effective as the F-35 w.r.t. air superiority, I still don't see how flying yogis would be a viable alternative to some level of armored formations in a modern military.

• Locked thread