Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with No Reserved Legacy is that it completely renders Legacy itself redundant because its practically the same format with marginally worse lands and a few degenerate decks or sideboard strategies no longer legal and a far larger number of people actually playing it (sure I guess the cost of a particular deck could somehow increase more than $1000, but I find that unlikely in reality).

Like the average deck loses dual lands and maybe a City of Traitors.

ANT, doomsday and belcher cease to exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

dragon enthusiast posted:

Some would argue this is a plus

I guess I wasn't clear in that I was arguing this was a plus; Legacy as a format has some interesting stuff going on but you can't really play that much due to lands being crazy expensive.

born on a buy you posted:

ANT, doomsday and belcher cease to exist

Sure, they'd get replaced by something else though. The problem is that you have a lot of cards that don't really see play because nobody wants to spend 1200 to make their decks lands good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with No Reserved Legacy is that it completely renders Legacy itself redundant because its practically the same format with marginally worse lands and a few degenerate decks or sideboard strategies no longer legal and a far larger number of people actually playing it (sure I guess the cost of a particular deck could somehow increase more than $1000, but I find that unlikely in reality).

Losing dual lands is a pretty big deal for some decks. Any deck running Daze gets a hell of a lot worse for example. And Ad Nauseum cares quite a bit about its life total.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wish they'd just go and print Snow Duals or something already. :v:

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
legacy burn in a format w/o duals is an absurdly powerful deck

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Removing true duals isn't really just that hand wavy. It changes the entire tempo of the game, early on especially. The game changes a bunch when you are either lightning bolting yourself the first few turns to be on curve or grabbing basics and having a much rougher land base.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
modern sucks so let's make modern worse. this is a good solution to legacy's price barrier

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

modern sucks so let's make modern worse. this is a good solution to legacy's price barrier

Modern is awesome, anybody who doesn't like modern is wrong.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Honestly Modern's pretty good right now

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

The average deck loses dual lands.

These cards are all pretty important to defining the meta, as they're critical in at least one deck:

aluren
candelabra of tawnos
city of traitors
cursed scroll
dream halls
eureka
gaea's cradle
grim monolith
helm of obedience
intuition
Lion's Eye Diamond
Metal Worker
mox diamond
opalescence
replenish
serra sanctum
the tabernacle at pendrell vale

plus a bunch of smaller cards (this list is not inclusive in all the playables)

firestorm
time spiral
volrath's stronghold
humility
Meditate
gilded drake
academy rector
chains of mephistopheles
illusionary mask
phyrexian dreadnought
palinchron
nether void
null rod
recurring nightmare
moat

Honestly, removing the reserve list cards doesn't touch the Top 2 decks - Miracles loses nothing outside of duals, and same with Delver (outside of sideboard options). It doesn't touch D&T or Stoneblade. Overall the reliance on duals probably makes burn and the like a lot more playable, and non-bolt versions of delver are probably unplayable.

But the reserve list kills:
LED combo
MUD
Enchantress
X-Stompy (including Eldrazi Stompy)

Chalice of the Void Decks (Mox Diamond)

High Tide

Plus a bunch of Tier 3 / brew cards.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Honestly Modern's pretty good right now
Yeah. Eat poo poo Twin.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alaan posted:

Removing true duals isn't really just that hand wavy. It changes the entire tempo of the game, early on especially. The game changes a bunch when you are either lightning bolting yourself the first few turns to be on curve or grabbing basics and having a much rougher land base.

I don't think there was an argument that certain decks would be worse or even non-existent. I mean, it is what it is. It's that or hope for other people dumb enough to spend 1200 dollars on 4 pieces of cardboard.

The problem with Legacy is very few people play it because nobody has the cards. If they could print Tropical Island, etc. in this set, it wouldn't be a conversation.

legacy burn in a format w/o duals is an absurdly powerful deck

If its a separate format you can ban other cards.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 26, 2016

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

That card is still cooler than Rorix.

Is there a good formula for putting together a cube draft of a set? I really enjoyed MM15 and would love to draft it more (and have enough packs cracked to make up a pile of commons/uncommons) and would like to potentially do that for EMA as well.
Just separate them in a fat pack into rares, uncommons, and commons and make your own packs. Shuffle them up and deal them into packs by rarity, you should probably have multiple sets of the commons, but the more sets you have the more realistic the packs will be as opening two of the same rare is possible. It doesn't need to be a cube for any specific reason does it?

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 26, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
e:^^ my question was really, I guess "how many sets of commons vs uncommons vs rares" and if 4:2:1 was appropriate or if 6:4:2:1 was more ideal or whatever.

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with Legacy is very few people play it because nobody has the cards. If they could print Tropical Island, etc. in this set, it wouldn't be a conversation.

Here in SoCal that's just not true. There's a huge legacy scene.

When I lived in the Midwest there was a much smaller legacy scene, but SCG supported legacy then so you still had a bunch of Opens to hit. Since Modern and SCG dropping support for legacy, there are few large events to play in, which means it's difficult to build a community, but there are plenty of legacy players around SoCal.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

Modern is awesome, anybody who doesn't like modern is wrong.

Lol

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Dredge losing LED hurts quite a bit as well. Need that lucky first turn kill!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Sigma-X posted:

e:^^ my question was really, I guess "how many sets of commons vs uncommons vs rares" and if 4:2:1 was appropriate or if 6:4:2:1 was more ideal or whatever.
I like 1 mythic, 2, rares, 3 uncommons, 4 commons myself if you're just shuffling it all together. It depends on the set though. Some cards like squadron hawk or howling wolf need multiple common sets to do anything. Right now 1 M/R 3 U 5 C (ignoring the draft effecting slot which is all shuffled together at appropriate rarities) is what my conspiracy draft sim looks like and it feels right. Most sets, you can get away with having the same number of rares as mythics because you'll still pull mythics at around the same rate by virtue of there being less in the set.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

He's right though? Modern is the best it's been in a long time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fingers McLongDong posted:

He's right though? Modern is the best it's been in a long time.

Curious how much a PT would change that.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rinkles posted:

The last modern PT did change it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

I think GP's being modern is enough. I figured at first without the PT that the format would lose traction. Turns out people want to play what they think is fun and what opens and gp support. It seems that more people show up for modern than anything else at the gp/open level. I look foward to the day modern is the dominate fnm format as it should be. :smug:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Angry Grimace posted:

I was kind of laughing at how non-obvious it is what it does, but I'm guessing 99% of players could guess what it was intended to do by its name.

I'm laughing because it's one of the few times that Yugioh has had a similar effect card with less rules text

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
I love Eternal Masters. Hydroblast and Pyroblast being included with great art is enough to make me feel sufficiently pandered to.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Yeah but wheres earthoblast and aeroblast

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Judd Stackington posted:

I love Eternal Masters. Hydroblast and Pyroblast being included with great art is enough to make me feel sufficiently pandered to.

Where did these get revealed? They don't seem to have been posted in the thread.

VV Thanks, those are dope.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 26, 2016

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015

C-Euro posted:

Where did these get revealed? They don't seem to have been posted in the thread.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Adam_Prosak/status/735601109000036354

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The old arts hold a special place in my heart, but as the art in this set is going those are surprisingly not-horrible.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Definitely not a 4/3

also lol at this being rare

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The only X-Blasts I'll play have Goku on them. Also they have strangely cut corners. :colbert:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

Definitely not a 4/3

This is a Breakfast Burrito staple :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

This is a Breakfast Burrito staple :colbert:

you're not helping your case

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Elyv posted:

What the gently caress. It doesn't even do anything.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sigma-X posted:

Honestly, removing the reserve list cards doesn't touch the Top 2 decks - Miracles loses nothing outside of duals, and same with Delver (outside of sideboard options).

Merfolk and Delver probably switch places again in the hierarchy. having to play shocks in delver is a huge deal because of daze and how often you have to fetch to facilitate brainstorm. grixis probably dies since that deck needs to probe a lot too. RUG might survive and a UWR version with Stoneforges would probably make a comeback.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Babylon Astronaut posted:

No, it does nothing!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Good god, that art is atrocious.

quote:

It was a rare in Guildpact and they seem highly reluctant to shift cards down in rarity.

Also the card would be pretty insane in limited at uncommon.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Babylon Astronaut posted:

it was in a pro tour winning deck and was a central card in one of the funnier moments in the history of magic spoilers

that's 2 things

E:

Some Numbers posted:

Also the card would be pretty insane in limited at uncommon.

Disagree. It's a 4/1, you can block and trade it off with some random dork and take a little bit of damage. It's fine, sure, but nowhere near insane. Also it would be more likely that it would be replaced at rare with some other jank. Why couldn't this be vexing shusher or some other garbage card that does something cool or unique instead of coasting on nostalgia

Elyv fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 26, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

double posting but have a good card

(It's Natural Order)

Elyv fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 26, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Elyv posted:

And with good art!

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Elyv posted:

(It's Natural Order)

So Terese Nielsen has three pieces in this set currently, two of which are new. I'm really happy about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

it was in a pro tour winning deck and was a central card in one of the funnier moments in the history of magic spoilers

explain the latter

• Locked thread