Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
It's better than what happened with Superior Spider-Man. They didn't do something where he was being replaced with a clone while Old Man Steve was dying of a heart attack or something. They sure as poo poo aren't doing this during an anniversary issue, either. Can you imagine how worse this reveal would have been if it happened in the de-aging issue?

Sure, Nazi Steve! This could be pulp and wacky as hell, do whatever the gently caress, Marvel, you crazy kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Codependent Poster posted:

So Cap was evil all along, huh?

Chalk up another win for the Cyclops Was Right camp.

Killing Xavier was the longest con in order to retroactively be proven right.

Also, this month's issue of Spider-man/Deadpool was incredible.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Killing Xavier was the longest con in order to retroactively be proven right.

Also, this month's issue of Spider-man/Deadpool was incredible.

Yeah, I can't believe that editorial allowed Mephisto to show up and taunt Spider-Man over One More Day.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

McSpanky posted:

Now they should make Cap and Bucky gay. Break the nerdnet.

The Internet is clamoring for movie Cap and Bucky to be gay.

I won't read this issue for 6 months, but it sounds dumb and the only problem I have is the maybe death of Jack Flaggwho should have been kept in Guardians of the Galaxy. :colbert:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
At this point I've been used to shrugging my shoulders at comic stories that I can't care. It's more the attitude expressed by people like Dan Slott, the "you aren't allowed to be mad at this thing we did that was deliberately provocative" statement that I'm barely paraphrasing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nick Spencer is getting death threats over twitter.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Rhyno posted:

More than usual, you mean?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JoshTheStampede posted:

More than usual, you mean?

I was unaware that he got them on a regular basis, Morning Glories isn't that bad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Necroskowitz posted:

That whole twist reeks of a kind of edgelord nonsense that's been plaguing comics since comics writers decided to take the wrong lessons from Watchmen back in the 80s.

Sick Grim and Gritty idea: Take the Jewish anti-Nazi Propaganda Golem representing the progressive ideal of America and make him a secret fascist!

Yeah, all other aside, making the dude Jack Kirby created to be a subversion of the Ubermensch into a literal Nazi is the kind of thing you shouldn't even feint towards. Like, Breevoort should've just whacked Spencer with a newspaper and rubbed his nose into the crumpled script while yelling "NO! BAD WRITER!" when he suggested it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mr Hootington posted:

I won't read this issue for 6 months, but it sounds dumb and the only problem I have is the maybe death of Jack Flaggwho should have been kept in Guardians of the Galaxy. :colbert:

Yeah, I hope he isn't dead.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, all other aside, making the dude Jack Kirby created to be a subversion of the Ubermensch into a literal Nazi is the kind of thing you shouldn't even feint towards. Like, Breevoort should've just whacked Spencer with a newspaper and rubbed his nose into the crumpled script while yelling "NO! BAD WRITER!" when he suggested it.

This is my problem with it as well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Oh come the gently caress on. It's a mind control arc. There's been Evil and Nazi Captain Americas in alternate universes a bunch of times. There's a guy who's entire gimmick is that he's crazy fascist Captain America. Red Skull was a clone of Captain America for a while.

This isn't some kind of sacrilege of the character that would have Jack Kirby and Joe Simon spinning in their graves. It's just a dumb storyline in a funnybook. Trying to act like it's anything more is loving idiotic.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
It's almost like there's another Captain America right now who could get a good story out of this clearly temporary thing.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Nobby posted:

It's almost like there's another Captain America right now who could get a good story out of this clearly temporary thing.

Yeah, even as a big Steve fan, I was worried that Steve coming back as Captain America would mean Sam's book would just lose all reason to exist. Steve being a secret HYDRA agent while Sam continues doing his regularly scheduled Captain America heroics gives both books a clear difference between eachother.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay he may be a nazi but he's clearly about making america great again

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I would cum buckets if both Cap titles were telling the same story from each of Steve and Sams points of view.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

The internet is stupid. Also I went to check if he said anything about this and got a good laugh out of his "Just in time for the movie" tweet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RIP Wierdworld. :smith:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Norns posted:

No. This is dangerous thinking.

Please read what you posted and think about it for a bit.

If you think I want to burn Captain America books then I'm sorry to disappoint, I support Marvel's decision to publish what they want. I still think it's a foolish story direction.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

The Internet is clamoring for movie Cap and Bucky to be gay.

They want everyone to be gay, you know.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Rhyno posted:

I was unaware that he got them on a regular basis, Morning Glories isn't that bad.

He's also very vocal politically on his Twitter so he gets a lot of poo poo all the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mind control arcs are bad. I honestly prefer just making him an actual Nazi to that tired poo poo.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

Mind control arcs are bad. I honestly prefer just making him an actual Nazi to that tired poo poo.

The cosmic cube is bound to be involved and it's known to change people's pasts. The coloring of the flashback might also be showing some fuckery.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well....yeah that is how this usually goes. Still hate it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

bobkatt013 posted:

The cosmic cube is bound to be involved and it's known to change people's pasts. The coloring of the flashback might also be showing some fuckery.

To be fair that's basically just an asterisk on top of this mind control arc. The Past is altered but it only affects Steve Rogers, so for all intents and purposes it's his memories what have been altered.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Also the world and nearly every hero was obliterated and put back together by a child a few months ago, maybe a few things went awry during that process.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

To be fair, we were warned about Cap thinking democracy is for stupid babies a while ago:

Unbeatable Squirrel-girl #5 (the first #5)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

spoilers for the solution to the new cap arc

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Regardless of anything, I think it's a poor decision to make your #1 a big "whoa man mind control but it's totally not mind control I swear" arc.

I mean it's the same way Sam Wilson made his debut appearance as Cap in Captain America and the Mighty Avengers #1... by being a inverted-morality version of himself trying to fight the Avengers. It leaves a poor impression for potential new readers bahaha who am I kidding? New readers? Comic books? What a ridiculous dream.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
If Nazi Captain America can't bring in new readers what can?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Girl Captain America? OOOHH ooh, Spiderman Captain America!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jiro posted:

Girl Captain America? OOOHH ooh, Spiderman Captain America!

Captain A-Gwen-ica?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Yvonmukluk posted:

Captain A-Gwen-ica?

Captain Amerigwen?

Capgwen America!

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The narration talks about time, and the lady who enrolls Steve's mom into Hydra is named Sinclair. That pretty much screams "Sin traveled to 1926 to nudge Steve into being raised to become a Hydra sleeper agent". The coloring in the flashback scenes is really not that subtle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whatever the reasons for why this is happening it is still a terrible idea for a story arc considering its not that long ago that they did the whole "inverted" heroes thing. So we already had a lot of stories of "what if a good guy was actually a BAD guy!?"

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's legitimate reasons why this would feel weird, but, as an examination of how fascism works by writing a version of history that fits their need for a convenient narrative they can sell to the disenfranchised, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goffer posted:

Also the world and nearly every hero was obliterated and put back together by a child a few months ago, maybe a few things went awry during that process.

The last time said child brought back a bunch of heroes from non-existence they were all the iconic versions of themselves. I really doubt he would make Cap a Nazi.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The last time said child brought back a bunch of heroes from non-existence they were all the iconic versions of themselves. I really doubt he would make Cap a Nazi.

But the latest time the child was also around a man who had been around a bunch of cosmic cubes and has the brain of one of the most powerful telepaths

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Now they should make Cap and Bucky gay. Break the nerdnet.

My only complaint is that you picked Bucky over Zemo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Steve and red skull in the Steve Rogers clone body

• Locked thread