Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Until fairly recently I thought it was just a thing made up for Squidbillies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9y5TfW5zQM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pakled posted:

Funnily enough, they do have laser shows on the face of the mountain that has the Confederate carving.
That's what I was going for. Only it says "oh and it was about slavery and they lost" in huge glowing letters at the end.

e: ^^^ Like that!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Stone Mountain is weird because it is so obviously a tourist trap wholly devoid of genuine feeling or historicity. It was only completed in 1972 by the state of Georgia as part of a larger campaign to develop the tourism industry and is surrounded by an amusement park. It's like 15 buxs just to park and even the little museum has a $15 entrance fee. The entire project is clearly designed to maximize per person spending and revenue rather than pushing some kind of lost cause agenda. The laser show is just the most striking example of that priority.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Soviet Commubot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQDu2v-Uq0E
Same show, different scene.
"The rebels hero. Came on up to Gettysburg and kicked some drat rear end! Hell if it hadn't been for Pac-Man we might've lost the drat war"

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

lol which idiot said that?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
We just successfully got a building named after Nathan Bedford Forrest changed at my uni. Wasn't named until 1954, and even then it was done so to protest Brown v. Board. There are people who came to public meetings who declare Forrest to be their hero, but wouldn't say why (lol bashful racism). Middle TN is a scary place and I'm so happy to leave.

Confederate monuments are a complex thing. An oversimplification of the general view from historians imho is that monuments on battlefields are ok as long as they don't vaporize too much, but anything in public is subject to debate or outright removal.

I just want to stay I seen smarter discourse by the goons in this thread than by many, many dumbshit historians I work with. Bravo goons.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Squalid posted:

Stone Mountain is weird because it is so obviously a tourist trap wholly devoid of genuine feeling or historicity. It was only completed in 1972 by the state of Georgia as part of a larger campaign to develop the tourism industry and is surrounded by an amusement park. It's like 15 buxs just to park and even the little museum has a $15 entrance fee. The entire project is clearly designed to maximize per person spending and revenue rather than pushing some kind of lost cause agenda. The laser show is just the most striking example of that priority.

The project was planned and started in 1916.

"Wikipedia[/quote posted:

The carving was conceived by Mrs. C. Helen Plane, a charter member of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (UDC). The Venable Brothers, owners of the mountain, deeded the north face of the mountain to the UDC in 1916. The UDC was given 12 years to complete a sizable Civil War monument. Gutzon Borglum was commissioned to do the carving. Borglum abandoned the project in 1925 (and later went on to begin Mount Rushmore). American sculptor Augustus Lukeman continued until 1928, when further work stopped for thirty years. In 1958, at the urging of Governor Marvin Griffin, the Georgia legislature approved a measure to purchase Stone Mountain for $1,125,000. In 1963, Walker Hancock was selected to complete the carving, and work began in 1964. The carving was completed by Roy Faulkner, who later operated a museum (now closed) on nearby Memorial Drive commemorating the carving's history. The carving was considered complete[7] on March 3, 1972.

Every turn of it is completely lost cause.

The Klan had reformed on top of the mountain in November 1915, having been fueled in part by the August lynching of Leo Frank in Marietta and in another by release of D.W. Griffith's The Birth of a Nation.

Griffin flat out admitted that he had the lost cause in mind when he insisted the state purchase it. Though he did have a pretty good dig at Florida: "If our friends down here in Florida, in the Sunshine State, had something like Stone Mountain, they'd have been wrestling alligators on top of Stone Mountain and charging one dollar to wrestle for a hundred years."

D.N. Nation posted:

Wouldn't mind renaming those places, either. I don't think Georgia should have this:

Or at least put these places/memorials/etc. in proper context. The Confederate generals on Stone Mountain are shown as proud, glorious, victorious. Nary a mention of their original sin.

Or Stephens County, for that matter.

Always thought this was a bit more pathetic:

Jefferson Davis Historic Capture Site

Yep, a freaking state park devoted to the very spot that Davis was captured, thus ending Confederate hope.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Since we're on the subject, and this is the politically-loaded maps thread, here's a map of all counties in the US named after Confederate soldiers or officials.

In some cases, they're named after people who aren't primarily known for their Civil War activities, for instance, Pasco County, FL is named after a guy who fought in the war in his youth and went on to become a prominent politician in his state.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

None in Virginia? I guess all the counties were already incorporated and named?

You can see the line going north/south where Texas was at settlement-wise at the time of the end of Reconstruction, neat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Aliquid posted:

You can see the line going north/south where Texas was at settlement-wise at the time of the end of Reconstruction, neat.

Wikipedia lists Arlington County, VA as being named after a Confederate official because it was named after Arlington Plantation, the home of Robert E. Lee, but that's the only case Wikipedia lists that's not directly named after someone associated with the Confederacy.

I feel Kentucky deserves special mention here as the only non-Confederate state to do this.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Always thought this was a bit more pathetic:

Jefferson Davis Historic Capture Site

Yep, a freaking state park devoted to the very spot that Davis was captured, thus ending Confederate hope.

How is that pathetic? Making a park and memorial for the death of Confederate hope seems pretty :iceburn: to me. Also how is it a state park in Georgia of all places, was it designated during reconstruction?

Edit: Its Lost Cause poo poo isn't it? :smith:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Aliquid posted:

Virginia just felt like they didn't need to fall back on Confederate names when renaming existing counties or creating the one new one they made after the Civil War (Dickenson County in 1880, from parts of other counties).

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Reveilled posted:

Eh, it's just the way cities which have grown over a thousand years work. You build a bridge over the Kelvin, call it Kelvin bridge so everyone knows which bridge you're talking about when giving directions. You build a university outside the city, and it's the only thing for miles around, people say it's in the Kelvin grove. Then the well-to-do want to live outside the city near the university, so they call that place Kelvinside because the name says "I'm rich because I live West of the city". Then a post-war developer wants to build houses for lower-middle-class people who want to imagine they're well-to-do, call that Kelvindale cause then you sound rich even if you're not.

Now explain that Alan Cumming song to me because I don't get like 90% of it.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Disco Infiva posted:

If you ever decide to remove them, Congo would gladly give you a hand.
I think Congo has given more than enough hands to Belgium over the years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pakled posted:

Since we're on the subject, and this is the politically-loaded maps thread, here's a map of all counties in the US named after Confederate soldiers or officials.

In some cases, they're named after people who aren't primarily known for their Civil War activities, for instance, Pasco County, FL is named after a guy who fought in the war in his youth and went on to become a prominent politician in his state.

That's actually an incomplete list, or at least a very strange qualifying list. The West Texas county directly Northwest of the two red ones is also named after a Texan who fought in the Civil War but he's not listed.

(One of those two counties is Jeff Davis County so it's not entirely innocent either)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

computer parts posted:

That's actually an incomplete list, or at least a very strange qualifying list. The West Texas county directly Northwest of the two red ones is also named after a Texan who fought in the Civil War but he's not listed.

(One of those two counties is Jeff Davis County so it's not entirely innocent either)

You're right, I was just going by this list.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Aliquid posted:

Yep, we already had all/almost all our locality names. 1607, bitches. Even Arlington has a history going back before the CW and is attached to non civil war things as well, such as the cemetery where they buried Union dead in Lee's lawn.

We did get a metric shitload of infrastructure named after them. Lee Bridge, Jefferson Davis Highway, Stuart Avenue, that kind of stuff. Plus the monuments, lots of those. But no locality names! :heritage:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Good animated map of Civil War memorials from 1865 to present. Somewhat steady but limited growth until the 1920s, then leveling off because of WWII, then huge growth post war in the South. Memorializing the Confederacy en masse is such a recent thing.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...union_ones.html

Hint: watch Georgia in the 1950s. Bet ya can't guess why they suddenly got an interest in the Confederacy!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Quorum posted:

attached to non civil war things as well, such as the cemetery where they buried Union dead in Lee's lawn.

What union is there other than the civil war one?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Phlegmish posted:

But it's just the Confederate pantheon, in carving form this time. Aren't there hundreds and hundreds of places named after them? Why is this suddenly so problematic?
They have never not been problematic. There's nothing wrong with memorializing history, but taking pride in a nation and conflict steeped in an objectively odious ideology is shameful.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Confederate monuments are a complex thing. An oversimplification of the general view from historians imho is that monuments on battlefields are ok as long as they don't vaporize too much
Heh. Watch out for Gaseous Nathan Bedford Forrest.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Hambilderberglar posted:

I think Congo has given more than enough hands to Belgium over the years.

A+

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Pakled posted:

There's a nice little publicly accessible trail going up the western side of the mountain where you don't have to see the Confederate carving at all. Great view at the top.

Shame the pre-contact, relatively unique stone construction at the top was dismantled by early Anglo-American visitors before modern archaeology could study it. Only thing of real historical value at the place.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KiteAuraan posted:

Shame the pre-contact, relatively unique stone construction at the top was dismantled by early Anglo-American visitors before modern archaeology could study it. Only thing of real historical value at the place.

Yeah, that's a shame. At least we've still got Rock Eagle.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Rock Eagle is beautiful.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Pakled posted:

I feel Kentucky deserves special mention here as the only non-Confederate state to do this.

Kentucky was kind of weird in the war. They were officially neutral but more of a "we can't choose one side or the other".

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pakled posted:

Pasco County, JR

Thanks for reading.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Kentucky was kind of weird in the war. They were officially neutral but more of a "we can't choose one side or the other".

Sounds like they were chicken.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sounds like they were chicken.

I get it.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

b0lt posted:

Pittsburgh laughs at your peasant 4 way intersections. (also the two Inez Ways)

edit: And 6 way intersections!

i reside in this map

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Shady Avenue

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JohnGalt posted:

i reside in this map

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:boom:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

joshtothemaxx posted:

Good animated map of Civil War memorials from 1865 to present. Somewhat steady but limited growth until the 1920s, then leveling off because of WWII, then huge growth post war in the South. Memorializing the Confederacy en masse is such a recent thing.

Hint: watch Georgia in the 1950s. Bet ya can't guess why they suddenly got an interest in the Confederacy!

I assume there is an increase in number because of the civil rights movement? But I don't understand why there's so many in Georgia compared to other southern states.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

cool and good posted:

What union is there other than the civil war one?

Arlington National Cemetery isn't just a civil war thing despite having its roots there, was my point. Also, you'd be hard pressed to argue it's memorializing Confederates.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I took a look at that Slate map, and a lot of the dots in Georgia are just historical markers like this

That can't really be said to be glorifying the Confederacy. Now, there are lots of monuments to "Confederate Soldiers of X County" that have some unfortunate memorial text and implications, but it's not quite as bad as it appears at first glance.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

If you're actually on the lookout for them, Atlanta has a ton of those things....which makes sense seeing how it was once a war zone of historical importance. This is near where I live, for instance:

Anyway, good poo poo on the digression, everyone, interesting stuff indeed.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

joshtothemaxx posted:

yeah there's really no way to differentiate en masse between just "thing happened here" historical markers and monuments specifically honoring the confederacy

the state of georgia paid for a ton of roadside markers in the 1950s, because georgia/atlanta had a decent tourism industry focused around gone with the wind

Count Roland posted:

I assume there is an increase in number because of the civil rights movement? But I don't understand why there's so many in Georgia compared to other southern states.

georgia's always had an institutional interest in history, the georgia historical society is the largest and oldest outside of new england. in the mid century georgia was a pioneer in state historical parks and monuments in a way that, believe it or not, had very little to do with lost cause revanchism

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 26, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Soviet Commubot posted:

squidbillies is a ridiculously accurate parody of north georgia. it's obvious the people who made it grew up here

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

squidbillies is a ridiculously accurate parody of north georgia. it's obvious the people who made it grew up here

Having moved from Georgia to Minnesota I tell people honestly and straightfacedly that Squidbillies and Run, Ronnie, Run are documentaries about what life in Georgia is really like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

chairface posted:

Having moved from Georgia to Minnesota I tell people honestly and straightfacedly that Squidbillies and Run, Ronnie, Run are documentaries about what life in Georgia is really like.

david cross grew up in roswell so this checks out

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 26, 2016