Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tias posted:

I have skates, what else do I need?

The Frostspark Boots are at the end of a long list of footwear accessories
ice skates + anklet of the wind + aglet + rocket boots + (hermes boots or flurry boots or sailfish boots)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cat Mattress posted:

The Frostspark Boots are at the end of a long list of footwear accessories
ice skates + anklet of the wind + aglet + rocket boots + (hermes boots or flurry boots or sailfish boots)

I don't have any of that, save the ice skates :(

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
This game owns.

Why did it take me so long to get into this game?

World 1 was pathetic and confusing and I was real scared and dumb:

For some reason I didn't like that world so I made another. World 2 was an exercise in confusion:

So I said "I think I've got it now" and made World 3:

I'm kind of starting to get the hang of it I think?

While I appreciate the amount of customization in decorating and theming rooms and buildings I just don't think I have the patience or even the desire to get too crazy building stuff. There's just so much to explore and to do I think I'll be real busy for a long time.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
FYI you can hammer corners into a 45 degree angle if you care. Also good job figuring out to make a plant farm, I always seem to spend a ton of time tending my plants.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

AnimalChin posted:

While I appreciate the amount of customization in decorating and theming rooms and buildings I just don't think I have the patience or even the desire to get too crazy building stuff. There's just so much to explore and to do I think I'll be real busy for a long time.
Don't worry, you're not alone. I tend to play the same way each content patch. That's especially true if you've not played before. There really is quite a bit to do.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Nothing wrong with some bleak Soviet tenements for your NPCs to huddle in while you wander around murdering things.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Or design one room that you like and copy that one for all your NPCs. Make a building of luxury apartments!

I started with a just a very basic stone-and-wood house, and I'm slowly updating it with custom rooms for each NPC. You don't have to have a perfect room from the start!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Now that I actually have to make houses again it's all about the glorious people's 3 tile wide tenement building floating in the air above some platforms that serve as my workshop.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

It's really not hard to make houses that are pretty space-efficient and don't look bad. I always feel like I have to make decent houses for my NPCs because it's something I'm going to look at pretty often.

The house on the left has space for 8 NPCs, and could easily hold 10 if I added more rooms to the main floor:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Trying to pick this up and see how xbox controls feel, but I'm still pretty burnt out on the game...
What is the controller version of shift clicking? I'm having trouble figuring the default xbox control scheme out for some reason.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Tias posted:

I don't have any of that, save the ice skates :(

The ice skates are the part that's functional in relation to your house, so don't worry about of the rest of it just yet.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

New patch, new character, new map, new house:

... and I haven't even killed any bosses except EoC, haven't raided my old worlds for stuff, or cheated myself anything. Expert mode EoC was harder than I remember.

The waterfall room was randomly generated and I thought it was super pretty, which is why I built here. I just needed to wait for the dryad to show up and sell me grass walls and flower grass walls so that I could replace the natural ones.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My accomplishment isn't as cool looking, but I had a blindfold drop, which I took to my old world and smashed together with some things to get an Ankh Shield, which only took like four reforgings to get Warding! :toot:

I also, after having never seen a Nymph before, now have a PDA and two spare metal detectors.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, never spent much time in the underground desert and just found out that they're a complete no go zone in hardmode. Those worms :stonk:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I downloaded the latest version of TEdit for world editing and it's not showing me sprite view, the selection panel isn't showing up, and it's acting weird in general :(

And now there's a brand new version that's fixed everything! Hooray!

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Ok, never spent much time in the underground desert and just found out that they're a complete no go zone in hardmode. Those worms :stonk:

It's not like you're missing out on anything, hardmode underground deserts give you nothing you can't get in regular underground deserts unless they get turned hallow/crimson/corrupt.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Unless you're going for a throwing character for whatever insane reason, there's hardly any reason to go into underground deserts at all, which is sort of a shame. No unique furniture, nothing that can be done with the sandstone, nothing significant that drops... I hope that's on the list for updating.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Certainly nothing worth guarding with super fast worms that turn on a dime and do 800 damage when they hit you.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The underground desert is one of my favorite areas pre-hardmode, actually. You'll find a ton of ore and stuff to throw in the Extractinator, and the sandstone is really easy to dig through so you can explore a large area very quickly. But once you've explored it once, there's no reason to go back, which is disappointing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I wonder if the throwing class they've implemented will eventually get fleshed out. There's absolutely nothing for it when hard mode starts. Also, Summoners really need more options for damage and armor. They don't really have as much as the other 3 playstyles.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I had no idea there was anything worth searching for under the desert. I just assumed it was all sand that would cave in on me so there wasn't a point in digging there.

Now I'll have to check it out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Zombie Guy posted:

I had no idea there was anything worth searching for under the desert. I just assumed it was all sand that would cave in on me so there wasn't a point in digging there.

There's nothing there til you have at least a nightmare pick and then all you're gonna get is some poo poo to throw at skeletron/wof.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I started playing again and my world had no chests on the inside of my crimsons. I started digging but didn't find any. Eventually I made one from iron and wood so I could store stuff

Promptly found like four in quick succession.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Was wondering why this thread was up here, I see there is a patch! Since I hate reading the patch notes for spoilers, can someone just answer me this: Is there any new music? I've always loved Terraria's music so if there are any new tracks, I wanna listen.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DaveKap posted:

Is there any new music?

Nope, sorry. The new stuff is mostly new wire gizmos.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

The Zombie Guy posted:

The only unique items in the underground desert are the fossils that have demonite/crimsonite level hardness; if you throw them in an extractinator they have a chance to become a material used to make a kind of weak armor that's mostly notable for being AFAIK the only equipment in the game that boosts throwing weapons. It's not really worth it by the time you can actually make them. There are a lot of extractinators spawned there, though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kvx687 posted:

The only unique items in the underground desert are the fossils that have demonite/crimsonite level hardness; if you throw them in an extractinator they have a chance to become a material used to make a kind of weak armor that's mostly notable for being AFAIK the only equipment in the game that boosts throwing weapons. It's not really worth it by the time you can actually make them. There are a lot of extractinators spawned there, though.

The ninja set from the slime king also boosts throwing, but not as much as the fossil set. In expert you can shred the wall of flesh pretty easily with the fossil set and skeletron's throwing weapon drop.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well, a martian invasion dropped a cosmic car key for me. And with that, a megashark, some chlorphyte bullets, and a lot of potions, I finally beat the Lunatic Cultist.

Then, with the same sort of poo poo, I beat the Vortex Pillar.

And then with a Nebula Beater I utterly crushed two of the other pillars. This thing with chlorphyte bullets is loving cheating. :shittypop:

Well, time to go take on the solar pillar and then probably get murdered by the Moon Lord.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Vortex Beater with Chlorophyte Bullets is loving cheating :staredog:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Any advice for expert Wall of Flesh? After the trouble that both Skeletron and Queen Bee gave me I have no idea what kind of weapon to use. My normal go-to is a phoenix blaster with meteor shot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

Any advice for expert Wall of Flesh? After the trouble that both Skeletron and Queen Bee gave me I have no idea what kind of weapon to use. My normal go-to is a phoenix blaster with meteor shot.

Consider a mine cart track instead of a hell bridge. IIRC my expert mage went with the demon scythe and did just fine with lightning boots and half a stack of regular stone but ymmv. Don't forget that you can have a couple imp minions out, 3 if you go fishing in the underground jungle to make summoning potions. The bone glove works well if you make a fossil set.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 26, 2016

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Beenades+sharpening station will absolutely wreck the hungry, leaving only the wall which is no big deal. Make all useful potions+food, consume them all (potions are a p. big deal!), and go to town on the wall with a minishark w/ silver or meteor bullets. If you got some yoyo gear I'd advise getting the Cascade (drops from hell enemies) and using that, it's sickeningly powerful.

I never bother with making a bridge, the potions are enough (obisidian skin, waterwalking, featherfall, low grav, with lightning boots+cloud in a balloon you can basically fly forever).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Samopsa posted:

Beenades+sharpening station will absolutely wreck the hungry, leaving only the wall which is no big deal. Make all useful potions+food, consume them all (potions are a p. big deal!), and go to town on the wall with a minishark w/ silver or meteor bullets. If you got some yoyo gear I'd advise getting the Cascade (drops from hell enemies) and using that, it's sickeningly powerful.

I never bother with making a bridge, the potions are enough (obisidian skin, waterwalking, featherfall, low grav, with lightning boots+cloud in a balloon you can basically fly forever).

None of this really applies in expert mode. The hungry respawn, the minishark barely does damage and it moves up to 40 mph so you really don't want to have to navigate terrain during the fight.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 26, 2016

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Consider a mine cart track instead of a hell bridge. IIRC my expert mage went with the demon scythe and did just fine with lightning boots and half a stack of regular stone but ymmv. Don't forget that you can have a couple imp minions out, 3 if you go fishing in the underground jungle to make summoning potions. The bone glove works well if you make a fossil set.

I'll give it a test run with a bridge first, it's a lot less resource intense to do, since I already have thousands of trash blocks stored up.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to talk about accessories, currently I have Frostspark Boots, Lava Waders, Shield of Cthulhu, Lucky Horseshoe, and Band of Regeneration. The horseshoe wont be much use so I will swap it for a Cobalt Shield. Between the Well Fed and Regeneration Potion buff, that ring probably isn't very good either. Maybe the Sweetheart Necklace would be better? It releases bees and boosts your speed when you get hit.

Didn't know summoning potions were a thing. I have an imp staff and a hornet staff so I could get some good minions.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Forget about the hornet staff; if you have an imp staff use that; it's the best easymode summon weapon you can find by far, imps deal more than twice as much damage as hornets.

Try to reforge it as Ruthless or Mythical. Ruthless can actually be more interesting than Mythical because for a summon weapon you don't care about reducing mana cost (the summon is persistent, so you don't have to care about recasting frequently) or critical hits (minions can't deal them anyway) and knockback is less useful for minions.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

If you really want to go ham on it reforge all your accessories to menacing for the extra dps. It's still WoF and you're still not gonna take much damage if you're running away on lightning boots but it'll go south in a hurry if you don't have the dps to finish him before he catches you with his last speed boost.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Mwahahaha I made a Phoenix Blaster and it got the Unreal prefix. I put down a stacks-worth ash bridge down but only needed 2/3 of it to destroy the wall. Upgrades have been fast and substantial in hard mode. Got my titanium pick and melee armor set because I found a Hel-Fire yoyo at the same time I found the undead merchant.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Zereth posted:

The Vortex Beater with Chlorophyte Bullets is loving cheating :staredog:

i love the vortex beater, but i've never used chlorophyte bullets before. clearly i'm going to have to before i take on Duke Fishtron again. hopefully i can get some cosmic car keys, too, that sounds like a great mount.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Blind Sally posted:

i love the vortex beater, but i've never used chlorophyte bullets before. clearly i'm going to have to before i take on Duke Fishtron again. hopefully i can get some cosmic car keys, too, that sounds like a great mount.
You know how like, the only bad part of the Vortex Beater is that it's got a fair amount of spread on the bullets so it's not that accurate?

Chlorophyte bullets are homing.

Also oh yeah I've got a truffle worm or two around here, I should take that and my vortex armor and vortex beater and homing bullets out for a nice trip to the beach. If I can remember where I put the drat worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Zereth posted:

You know how like, the only bad part of the Vortex Beater is that it's got a fair amount of spread on the bullets so it's not that accurate?

Chlorophyte bullets are homing.
:staredog:

gently caress, I might have to try ranged on my next character.