Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Got Rebirth 1 and read it today and it interests me. I plan on moving my normal subscriptions over to their post-rebirth counterparts as well as subscribing to a few new titles. My question is: do I need to read all the Rebirth 1 shots to wrap up this story that they are telling in Rebirth 1 or are all the 1 shots just introductions to the various 'new' series'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I hope Dr. Manhattan kills Cyborg and Jamie Reyes once and for all. Two poo poo characters that Didio loves shoving in my face.

You and I are enemies now.

(But seriously, why would you hate Jaime? His New 52 stuff was garbage, but the original run & most of the adaptions have been excellent).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

darkwolf220 posted:

Got Rebirth 1 and read it today and it interests me. I plan on moving my normal subscriptions over to their post-rebirth counterparts as well as subscribing to a few new titles. My question is: do I need to read all the Rebirth 1 shots to wrap up this story that they are telling in Rebirth 1 or are all the 1 shots just introductions to the various 'new' series'?

They should just be intros to the series'. I think I read that they'll be one-&-dones and arcs will start at the #1s, kinda like longer, not free versions of the DCYou Sneak Peeks.

e: Danny Miki's been posting early Batman art from David Finch and... am I nuts for thinking this looks really good?

Like, this is Finch from Forever Evil.

What?

I suppose those don't show any close-up faces for us to see if those creepy doll eyes still exist, but do we not need to worry about this dude? It can only look better with Bellaire's colors too.

e: That meticulous environmental signage, even.

Veg posted:

Shocking news: artists with talent are awesome when not glued to the DC house style.

So he was forced to make FE look like that against some hidden real subtle talent that he's now free to express?
Geoff demanded those faces?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 26, 2016

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Shocking news: artists with talent are awesome when not glued to the DC house style.

Finch can be amazing, given the freedom and time. Looks like he has been given both for this run.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finch is pretty literally DC house style, though. Even when he was working for Marvel, it was like that. Which is fine, honestly, there's room for DC House Style. That said, I think the coloring is a really big part of the DC look, and we haven't seen that yet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Yvonmukluk posted:

(But seriously, why would you hate Jaime? His New 52 stuff was garbage, but the original run & most of the adaptions have been excellent).

His original comic is one of my favorite comics of all time. He is a great character, great supporting cast, and hope this feels more like that then the 52 stuff. It's like what they did with Bart, take a great teen character and remove everything that makes him great.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Was New 52 Mirror Master Sam Scudder or the glasgow guy Grant Morrison created?

Scudder.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Late to the party, but here is what I'm interested in.

Batman -Tom King has been doing so well on Vision that I'm more than willing to give this a try, even if I think the new Gotham character is a little silly.

Wonder Woman - Rucka back on one of his favorite characters. Sign me up.

Hellblazer - Hoping this keeps a similar or better quality as the previous run. I hear the writer worked on the Vertigo series at some point, so that's probably a good sign.

Gotham Academy - Been reading and enjoying this title for a while, mostly thanks to Maps.

Suicide Squad - Rob Williams did a surprising job on Martian Manhunter, so I'll give this a try.

Trinity - Manupal did good work on Flash early in the New 52, and his art is always gorgeous.

Blue Beetle - Giffen has done good work on the character before, here is hoping he can recapture the magic.

Everything else I'm going to wait and see. I'm somewhat interested in Detective Comics for the team, but I'm not sure I can afford it with all the double shipping comics I'm already planning to read.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Reading Justice League 50 and then Rebirth is loving hilarious. Especially when Johns then tries to call out other people for their dark and depressing stories.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Reading Justice League 50 and then Rebirth is loving hilarious. Especially when Johns then tries to call out other people for their dark and depressing stories.

No, see, that wasn't him, that was Alan Moore's fault for writing a book Geoff didn't read that closely!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Those two new caped heroes in Gotham that were looking at the Bat signal are totally Nite Owl and Silk Spectre aren't they.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

glitchwraith posted:

Late to the party, but here is what I'm interested in.

Batman -Tom King has been doing so well on Vision that I'm more than willing to give this a try, even if I think the new Gotham character is a little silly.

Just you wait until Gotham is revealed to be Nite Owl. Then you'll be the silly one.

EDIT: Yes, what he said ^^^

X-O fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 26, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Dang, I hadn't considered that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How do you even have Nite-Owl hanging out with Batman.

Like the two of them are teamed up and fighting and after the fight Nite-Owl is breathing just a little too heavily and Batman is creeped out. End story?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Somehow, some way, it will turn out that Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre are actually Owlman and Superwoman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Somehow, some way, it will turn out that Nite-Owl and Silk Spectre are actually Owlman and Superwoman.

Aren't they both dead? I read that Superwoman was killed in JL 50 and that Owl Man was vaporized by Dr. Manhattan after stealing the Mobius Chair.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

X-O posted:

Aren't they both dead? I read that Superwoman was killed in JL 50 and that Owl Man was vaporized by Dr. Manhattan after stealing the Mobius Chair.

Yeah, but vaporized is an easy way to explain being actually transported or whatever. Like Batman getting blasted backwards in time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

X-O posted:

Just you wait until Gotham is revealed to be Nite Owl. Then you'll be the silly one.

EDIT: Yes, what he said ^^^

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

Clearly they need to hang out with Blue Beetle instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
To change subjects very slightly, can Rhyno or someone else in the comics retail side of things tell me if anyone, and I mean ANYone is buying Bloodlines?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I read Rebirth and really liked what I read. It's definitely a very meta storyline, but I'm happy to have one. I'm happy to see someone point out how broken the DC Universe is. Having the flaw be that the love and legacy of the universe was literally ripped out is pretty great. At least that's how I see things. The scene with Wally and Barry actually got me good. I wasn't sure if he was going to be able to pull him out. The Watchmen...huh. I mean I saw the spoiler image, but since I'm not good at comics I just put it out of focus. This looks interesting enough to me. I'll probably buy some books from Bats and his kids. Flash and Superman as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait.

There's a new Bloodlines?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

glitchwraith posted:

Hellblazer - Hoping this keeps a similar or better quality as the previous run. I hear the writer worked on the Vertigo series at some point, so that's probably a good sign.ord it with all the double shipping comics I'm already planning to read.

he did the Chas: The Knowledge mini which wasn't bad but also didn't focus on constantine

e he also wrote FBP/Collider which is....less encouraging

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Alucard Nacirema posted:

I hope Dr. Manhattan kills Cyborg and Jamie Reyes once and for all. Two poo poo characters that Didio loves shoving in my face.
Are you the American Dracula who wrote for Wizardworld.com like ten years ago? Just curious.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
It feels like every other Big Event in DC Comics is "hey remember this story from several decades ago?"

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Kurzon posted:

It feels like every other Big Event in DC Comics is "hey remember this story from several decades ago?"

As opposed to New 52 which was explicitly "Hey forget about everything older than 5 years ago"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

To change subjects very slightly, can Rhyno or someone else in the comics retail side of things tell me if anyone, and I mean ANYone is buying Bloodlines?

I sold one.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JoshTheStampede posted:

As opposed to New 52 which was explicitly "Hey forget about everything older than 5 years ago"

"except when you shouldn't"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm a big fan of there suddenly being a reboot thread, which got closed so everything could be shuffled back into the familiar conversation once Rebirth came out.

Well-played X-O. :golfclap: Although you should have found a way to retroactively blame the new thread on d00gz or something.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I liked Rebirth, but I don't understand why I was told to read JL 50 or Superman 52 first.

Like... what was I supposed to get out of that, other than "holy gently caress it's a weaponized baby who turns into baby Darkseid, this is idiotic" and "hey look Bad Superman died and turned into a statue or something"? Was it just to remind me why the New 52 sucked and was stupid and I'm happy to see it gone?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Finch is pretty literally DC house style, though. Even when he was working for Marvel,

That was Comics house style.

CapnAndy posted:

I liked Rebirth, but I don't understand why I was told to read JL 50 or Superman 52 first.

Because they happened first and came out the same week.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 26, 2016

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I like that Dr. Manhattan apparently created the New 52 and there were at least two Dr. Manhattans in that world.

One was a guy from Frankenstein. I believe his story was that when he was used during Vietnam, he simply stuck around there to be worshipped. I might be remembering it wrong. He ended up being killed by Frankenstein.

Then there's New 52 Captain Atom, whose series was basically "Dr. Manhattan with a normal man's mentality." Instead of Manhattan's robotic know-it-all bullshit, he was more the kind of guy who would go, "JFK's going to be assassinated in a few years? I should probably go do something about that" and it would blow up in his face. Coincidentally, one of the stories was about his god complex causing him to evolve throughout the decades/centuries. He goes from his usual self to something less "muscle man" to a kind of Indian god and eventually becomes a nihilistic and uncaring cloud of energy.

I wonder if they might go in that direction where Manhattan, completely unchecked, gradually lost touch with his humanity again and became something worse.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I feel as if once you're writing a story about weaponized babies, you'd better be Carlton Mellick or you've got some explaining to do.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

CapnAndy posted:

Like... what was I supposed to get out of that, other than "holy gently caress it's a weaponized baby who turns into baby Darkseid, this is idiotic" and "hey look Bad Superman died and turned into a statue or something"? Was it just to remind me why the New 52 sucked and was stupid and I'm happy to see it gone?

It wasn't "you have to read these to understand Rebirth" it was "Rebirth spoils these so if you are going to read them, read them first"

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Yvonmukluk posted:

We're probably enemies too cuz I hate Cyborg and his being in the League at the expense of Martian Manhunter. He's a Titan dammit!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

It wasn't "you have to read these to understand Rebirth"

There would be more questions in the question thread about why there's a baby Darkseid and everyone being sad at some smoke in a field.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SeannieDarko posted:

We're probably enemies too cuz I hate Cyborg and his being in the League at the expense of Martian Manhunter. He's a Titan dammit!

Actually, given the rosters, he'd be a Teen Titan.

However, it's still bizarre to me that they decided what we need in 2016 is a Silver Age Titans roster. Like, if Damian's team was all new legacy heroes like the gay Aqualad and black Wally and, like, Natasha Irons Steel or something, and then Nightwing was leading the New Teen Titans roster, I'd get it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gaz-L posted:

Actually, given the rosters, he'd be a Teen Titan.

However, it's still bizarre to me that they decided what we need in 2016 is a Silver Age Titans roster. Like, if Damian's team was all new legacy heroes like the gay Aqualad and black Wally and, like, Natasha Irons Steel or something, and then Nightwing was leading the New Teen Titans roster, I'd get it.

I wish OG Wally was on the Teen Titans, because I don't care about most of the Old Titans roster except Roy and maybe Donna, but the TT roster seems more interesting to me. But I am a Wally guy so I am gonna read Titans anyway.

Are we sure Wally will be in Flash? Is it like a Flash Family book?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

To distinguish the two Kid Flashes named Wally West, I propose referring to red suit Wally as "White Lightning".

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Actually, that's a good question - do you think OG Wally will use some other name? If Barry is Flash and kid Barry is Kid Flash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I wish OG Wally was on the Teen Titans, because I don't care about most of the Old Titans roster except Roy and maybe Donna, but the TT roster seems more interesting to me. But I am a Wally guy so I am gonna read Titans anyway.

Are we sure Wally will be in Flash? Is it like a Flash Family book?

Well it's gonna have dozens of speedsters in it so if there's a way to introduce flash family members that's part of it.

It's not confirmed that Wally is in The Flash but it's heavily implied by the same spoiler warning Titans got, saying you should read DC Universe Rebirth first and newWally has a mysterious mentor who isn't Barry. Who else is gonna give him his old Kid Flash costume?

JoshTheStampede posted:

Actually, that's a good question - do you think OG Wally will use some other name? If Barry is Flash and kid Barry is Kid Flash?

Booth's twitter says he's just going by Flash. It worked fine for, what, 15 years during Wally's run so I don't see why it'd be a problem now.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 26, 2016