Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MariusLecter posted:

You're thinking of Rick and Morty actually.

Had to double-check, but no, I definitely meant American Dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-kiZwF_qJo

THE JOKE IS THAT HIS NAME IS RICHARD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'd say The Goode Family was closer to being a conservative cartoon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is it common if you don't like McFarlane's humour to like rick and morty and vice versa? Are they some how mutually exclusive?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

JazzFlight posted:

I'd say The Goode Family was closer to being a conservative cartoon.

King of the Hill was also pretty conservative.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Baronjutter posted:

Is it common if you don't like McFarlane's humour to like rick and morty and vice versa? Are they some how mutually exclusive?

I like both but then again I also think King of the Hill is garbage so what the gently caress do I know.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

King of the Hill was also pretty conservative.

Do you people not get satire? The Goode Family would be "conservative" since it satirizes liberal ideals, King of the Hill is "liberal" because it satirizes conservative ideals. But really neither is "liberal" or "conservative" since I doubt either is intended to push either agenda.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ElCondemn posted:

Do you people not get satire? The Goode Family would be "conservative" since it satirizes liberal ideals, King of the Hill is "liberal" because it satirizes conservative ideals. But really neither is "liberal" or "conservative" since I doubt either is intended to push either agenda.

No, it definitely had some conservative values. But I don't really mean in the current political sense, I mean more in a morals and ethics sort of way? Like, a lot of times the lesson of an episode was "the old ways are good and have value and should be respected". Although they also had plenty of "turns out the old way sucks, the new way is much better." Lessons too.

Maybe the word I should have used is "traditional", except traditional has also been co-opted by modern politics to the point that it no longer means what it originally did.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

No, it definitely had some conservative values. But I don't really mean in the current political sense, I mean more in a morals and ethics sort of way? Like, a lot of times the lesson of an episode was "the old ways are good and have value and should be respected". Although they also had plenty of "turns out the old way sucks, the new way is much better." Lessons too.

Maybe the word I should have used is "traditional", except traditional has also been co-opted by modern politics to the point that it no longer means what it originally did.

Maybe some of the episodes were like that, I don't know if I've seen every episode, but I recently re-watched a big chunk of the episodes and enjoyed it a lot more than I did when I was child/teen. Now that I understand the satire.

The moral lessons learned by the characters is what's funny, that they misunderstood what they should've learned. Instead they reaffirm their beliefs and Hank and Peggy smile and go to bed knowing all is right in the world. It's definitely not for everyone, but I get it more now than I did when I was younger. Plus Mike Judge has talked about the show on podcasts and stuff.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sheesh, so many people who are bad at watching TV in this thread.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Paladinus posted:

people bad at watching tv in the tv iv, why i never

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Paladinus posted:

Also shut up, no one cares that you hate some other show to a weird degree

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MrAristocrates posted:

Also shut up, no one cares that you hate some other show to a weird degree

You. You care.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

drat, owned

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://cryptozoic.com/rick-and-morty-total-rickall-cooperative-card-game

About to head to a trade show and play a demo of this. Will report.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

MariusLecter posted:

I like both but then again I also think King of the Hill is garbage so what the gently caress do I know.

The day after Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, the busiest shopping day of the year.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Paladinus posted:

American Dad is a lovely unfunny show, actually.

if you owned a tree I'd rape it and make it's saplings watch

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Whorelord posted:

Your mum is like a log in bed, soooooooo

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Propaganda Machine posted:

The day after Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, the busiest shopping day of the year.

Whorelord posted:

Paladinus posted:

Your mum is like a log in bed, soooooooo

This thread is going to some weird places.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
...y'know, I always wondered how a flumbus was made.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
R&M coming back in DECEMBER.... But we get an extra long season so.... Fuuuuuuuuuuu

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The only thing less interesting or funny than Seth McFarland shows are people who have to talk about them at length in other threads.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bust Rodd posted:

R&M coming back in DECEMBER.... But we get an extra long season so.... Fuuuuuuuuuuu

Awwwwwwww YEAH! That's sooner than I was expecting!

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Awwwwwwww YEAH! That's sooner than I was expecting!

To be fair the venture bros really skewes our expectation of how long this stuff takes

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

counterfeitsaint posted:

The only thing less interesting or funny than Seth McFarland shows are people who have to talk about them at length in other threads.

Yeah, remember that time when

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
December? Well, Mr. Poopybutthole was right. A year and a half. At least it wasn't "or more!"

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

MariusLecter posted:

You're thinking of Rick and Morty actually.

Well here's an unpopular opinion...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

This thread is going to some weird places.

The tree raping thing was one of the weirder American Dad jokes - in one episode Roger's finds that someone made charges on his credit card, and upon investigation find the guy who did it, and dedicates his day to revenge by destroying the guys life. At one point he does a number on his garden and there the tree line comes in. In what may be one of the funnier, though weird, jokes Roger's finds out that the guy doesn't exist - he is one of Roger's personas gone rogue, and he has crafted his own niche, somehow living his own life. How this occurs is never explained.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BioEnchanted posted:

The tree raping thing was one of the weirder American Dad jokes - in one episode Roger's finds that someone made charges on his credit card, and upon investigation find the guy who did it, and dedicates his day to revenge by destroying the guys life. At one point he does a number on his garden and there the tree line comes in. In what may be one of the funnier, though weird, jokes Roger's finds out that the guy doesn't exist - he is one of Roger's personas gone rogue, and he has crafted his own niche, somehow living his own life. How this occurs is never explained.

How Roger's various personas all seem to have full lives all their own is a great running gag. Like the one that's the wife of a judge and they've somehow been married for 30 long happy years. The explanation being something like 'when you care about something you make the time'.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The_Doctor posted:

How Roger's various personas all seem to have full lives all their own is a great running gag. Like the one that's the wife of a judge and they've somehow been married for 30 long happy years. The explanation being something like 'when you care about something you make the time'.

I loved the recent episode where they're railing against the factory and when they get there to talk to the owner, they see it's Roger. Roger - "Crap. I had a feeling that was gonna happen."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

That one where Roger co-owns an asphalt company just so he can spy on his business partner and use the intel to help a second asphalt company that he runs.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Is this "American Dad" show actually good, or are people here just goofing around? I remember thinking Family Guy was okay for the first season or two, but then it got stupider.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it is quite good, but the first few seasons were shaky so I think a lot of people wrote it off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

prefect posted:

Is this "American Dad" show actually good, or are people here just goofing around? I remember thinking Family Guy was okay for the first season or two, but then it got stupider.

Yeah, very much so. Once it stopped trying to be Family Guy Mk.2 it became its own thing, and is far better for it. It's less random, more character based comedy. It doesn't hinge on stupid cutaways, and has a nice line in the surreal. It moved to TBS a couple oif years ago, and so far this season, it's had maybe 1-2 slightly off episodes. Everything else has been gold.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

prefect posted:

No, it is bad, but some people like bad shows.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Does Seth McFarlane even have very much to do with American Dad anymore? I was under the distinct impression that the answer was no, and that that was why it got palatable.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Propaganda Machine posted:

Does Seth McFarlane even have very much to do with American Dad anymore? I was under the distinct impression that the answer was no, and that that was why it got palatable.

No, and neither does Mike Barker, the other creator. They just come in to do voices still.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The American Dad episode "Blood Crieth Unto Heaven" is one of the best episodes of TV ever. The reactions of the audience are worth watching it alone. It's definitely not an episode to start of with though because it's the characters playing other characters in a play so a lot of the humor may be missed.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The answer to why Roger can live all those lives and change instantly is that he can move really, really fast.

It was explained when he was Snots' girlfriend.

Roger gets me every time with violence. I think when he panics and murders Millionaire Matt Davis is one of his greatest.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

rydiafan posted:

https://cryptozoic.com/rick-and-morty-total-rickall-cooperative-card-game

About to head to a trade show and play a demo of this. Will report.

Yeah I'll probably buy this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I'll probably buy this

Demo wasn't there, sadly, so I didn't get to try it. Cryptozoic sadly has a history of buying great IPs and making garbage games out of them, but they've been getting better.

• Locked thread