Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

BlitzBlast posted:

My understanding of Yen Press' Mahouka translation is <This post's completion has been delayed, please wait three months.>

I wish Yen Press could be only three months behind. One of the few series they're "current" on is SAO Progressive, and by "current" I mean the EN version comes out a year after the JP one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Zwingley posted:

I mean, it's only the first volume that's out over here right now, so the content is still relatively inoffensive. The book ends before we even get to the weird lecture Tatsuya gives Miyuki about filthy poors or whatever.

The best way to read Mahouka is don't and wait for literary dogshit connoisseur Serious Frolicking to bring up the newest loving insane piece of trivia from it and laugh. That way you don't have to read 500 pages of boring and still get superior Japanese supermen making GBS threads on the poor, mass-murdering the Chinese while triumphant music swells in the background, giving Hawaii back to it's rightful owners(Japan)(??????), and hating the gays.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Yinlock posted:

The best way to read Mahouka is don't and wait for literary dogshit connoisseur Serious Frolicking to bring up the newest loving insane piece of trivia from it and laugh. That way you don't have to read 500 pages of boring and still get superior Japanese supermen making GBS threads on the poor, mass-murdering the Chinese while triumphant music swells in the background, giving Hawaii back to it's rightful owners(Japan)(??????), and hating the gays.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I enjoy trashy Japanese fiction, what can I say? :shrug:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

filthychimp posted:

I wish Yen Press could be only three months behind. One of the few series they're "current" on is SAO Progressive, and by "current" I mean the EN version comes out a year after the JP one.

Well the joke is more that Mahouka kept getting delayed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm depressed that the Rokka translation seems to be indefinitely delayed. It's one of a literal handful of these things I've read that reads like an Actual, Honest to God Book, yet apparently the fans are more interested in reading the 20th story about a reincarnated guy with a slave harem.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

BlitzBlast posted:

Well the joke is more that Mahouka kept getting delayed.
I really do wonder how much of that is because the translators are trying to figure out exactly how much of the book they can keep intact without it being too offensive for Yen to publish. I get the sense they just looked at Mahouka's position on the Japanese sales charts when they licensed it, and didn't bother to actually read any of it until afterwards.

Not to mention the delays caused by translators who've literally been bored to death by the bits that aren't filled with racism, classism, sexism, incest or mass murder. And maybe by those bits too, given how leaden the prose apparently is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I've found the absolute peak of translation.

quote:

"As White Cloth Sister move her right Leg she stepped on a Ant Hill , and Fire Red Ants crawled on lightning fast on it . The White Cloth Sister looked down with a pale face and jumped around crying aloud : ,, Aaaaa …. .“"

This poo poo is incredible.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Why is WN translation a race to the bottom? Why do people even put up with any of this? Is reading I Died In My Sleep So Now I Am The Dream King In That MMO I Used To Play really worth slogging through absurdly terrible translations? Why doesn't anyone have any standards? Why do I even bother trying to read anything new??

Basically the only thing I'm reading right now is ISSTH because I can't stand reading anything that was either translated by a machine, written by someone with a shaky grasp on English, or both. (Also, this thread doesn't talk about anything else, so I don't actually know what else is good.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oniichanyamete's stuff is pretty decently edited.

That's about it.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

blastron posted:

Why is WN translation a race to the bottom? Why do people even put up with any of this? Is reading I Died In My Sleep So Now I Am The Dream King In That MMO I Used To Play really worth slogging through absurdly terrible translations? Why doesn't anyone have any standards? Why do I even bother trying to read anything new??

Basically the only thing I'm reading right now is ISSTH because I can't stand reading anything that was either translated by a machine, written by someone with a shaky grasp on English, or both. (Also, this thread doesn't talk about anything else, so I don't actually know what else is good.)

I love word puzzles and I love dumb power level harem bullshit so it's like you got chocolate in my peanut butter.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Grimgar LN translation has been pretty intense lately. The author is really good at writing tense situations.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

blastron posted:

Why is WN translation a race to the bottom?

Two things, I think. Firstly, fansubbing is dead thanks to simulcasting. All those aspiring translators who used to be the AnimeJunkies and the Yesys of the world now have no anime to direct their efforts upon, and cleaning manga is too much effort on skillset that has nothing to do with translation. Secondly, WNs are in a sort of gold rush right now. All an author needs is the right concept and the right person to notice them in order to get big, get an anime and manga and real deal books published. That's exciting, and people want to translate that even if it's bad.

Also, micropayments and Patreons are finally a thing. If you put up a donate button and aren't a total idiot, people will donate to you.

filthychimp fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 26, 2016

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

What's the consensus on the ethicality of donation buttons, by the way? I've refused to put one up because doing unauthorized fan translation for free already feels kinda shaky. Ordinarily, I wouldn't flinch at putting a donation button on a creative work that takes a huge amount of time to put together, but this is effectively an unauthorized derivative work. I don't see donation buttons on fanfiction, and good fanfiction easily takes as much effort as good translation, if not more. Is there some sort of good legal or ethical justification for asking money for that sort of thing, or is it just a case of there being a lot of people already doing it without any consequences?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A lot of people aren't as moral as you are, basically.

Personally I do all my translation work pro bono too.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
You could get beer money out of it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The whole "sponsored chapter" thing always seems shady as hell, especially when you can easily see the translation isn't very good

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
http://www.novelupdates.com/series/i-said-make-my-abilities-average/

quote:

Description

Viscount Ascham’s House’s eldest daughter, Adele von Ascham become 10 years old, remember everything along with intense headache.

The previous self, Kurihara Misato 18 years old Japanese, lost her life when trying to help a young girl, and then, she met God…

Somewhat capable person given too big expectation by surrounding people, Misato that cannot live as she wants, plead to the God.

“On the next life, please make my abilities average!”

Yet, somehow the story is wrong!

The girl with 3 name, is careful to not accidentally be an S-rank hunter, lets live normally.

I mean, I’m just average, common girl. No, seriously.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It's a terrible translation. Half the translations I see on that site I can't read more than a chapter simply because of how terrible the translations are.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I read some of that, and it's not very good, so no great loss. It seems very popular, though, and just got a light novel release.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
It's an okay concept, it's just it's been done better with Evil God Average. Also, reincarnation schtick needs to go die in a fire, unless it's a story of the Hindu wheel of reincarnation. That would actually be interesting, since murderhobos would (theoretically) be turned into something vile and disgusting the next cycle.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

jwang posted:

It's an okay concept, it's just it's been done better with Evil God Average. Also, reincarnation schtick needs to go die in a fire, unless it's a story of the Hindu wheel of reincarnation. That would actually be interesting, since murderhobos would (theoretically) be turned into something vile and disgusting the next cycle.

I don't think reincarnation is going anywhere, due to the way rankings work. It's like asking Redditors to stop posting cats.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I like the concept of "protagonist who knows they have a great power/destiny/etc but actively tries to avoid it", but yeah this is pretty drat average.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I also read the first volume/arc/whatever of Kita no Toride nite and it's cute and fluffy and nice. Much better than that other one, if you're hankering for female protagonists.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

darkgray posted:

I also read the first volume/arc/whatever of Kita no Toride nite and it's cute and fluffy and nice. Much better than that other one, if you're hankering for female protagonists.

Ya know you could have sold me with an adorable fox sprit, book, didne need to make street pizza to facilitate it...

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I think Meng Hao is going to have trouble collecting on his IOU from the Wang Clan's Chosen. What a tragedy.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Avulsion posted:

I think Meng Hao is going to have trouble collecting on his IOU from the Wang Clan's Chosen. What a tragedy.

How will Meng Hao get his cultivation base back from the Wang Patriarch? :ohdear:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Lyon posted:

How will Meng Hao get his cultivation base back from the Wang Patriarch? :ohdear:

Source of power. Wang. Hmmm.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

Lyon posted:

He discovers he's actually more powerful with no culivation base holding him back.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
His Second Severing will turn out to be his Cultivation base.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
:sever:

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
When he yelled about severing the 10th wang patriarch I thought he was going to cheat his way into second severing.

I'm glad there was no mid fight power up. It's a pleasant surprise when the protagonist doesn't always win.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

dipple posted:

He discovers he's actually more powerful with no culivation base holding him back.

Looks like no, he is just a mortal without a cultivation base.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Dang, I didn't think ISSTH had the guts to make Meng Hao face a serious loss. I wonder how the story will proceed from here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

brainwrinkle posted:

Dang, I didn't think ISSTH had the guts to make Meng Hao face a serious loss. I wonder how the story will proceed from here.

He will either train back up from the beginning but at a much faster rate, or else he will regain his power some other way. Dude isn't gonna be stuck as an elderly mortal, obviously.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Sure, it's basically given that Meng Hao will manage to recover somehow. The exciting part is wondering how will Er Gen make that interesting. I only disliked the Western Desert arc so far, and even that had some redeeming qualities. I love Er Gen's imagination for cool settings and fun characters. This development lends a ton of freedom to the story.

I hoped the author would go for the reincarnation that was hinted at with the parent scenes, but Meng loses everything but his Dao. Fang Mu, but for real this time! The fake life chapters during the alchemy trials were pretty neat.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
If Meng Hao wants his cultivation back, he just needs some spirit stones and a certain mirror.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Seriously, the thing is the biggest unexplained douche ex macarena in the story.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Well there IS kinda one trump card still: Resurrection Lily Shenanigans. That's about the only thing I can think of though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So did anyone actually finish Spice & Wolf? The format of the last book was a little strange, but I liked the actual ending. Really curious now as to how the sequel will work.

I'm also almost finished with the third Durarara!! book and I definitely am feeling that it's a better overall work than the anime, that was my least favorite arc (Kida's Yellow Scarf turf war) of the show and I'm pretty engrossed in the book's rendition of it. Can't wait to get further because the sequel seasons seemed like they had cut a lot of content so I bet the book versions will be baller.

• Locked thread