Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I cannot believe how boring that new Peanuts show is. Its like a modern day version of that God Awful The Archie Show. Several terrible 2 minute long "Joke" segments that present themselves exactly like they came from a Prozac laden performance of some children they found in a parking lot to read the same recycled segments from a Sunday paper. I mean, I guess it was always doomed to awfulness as it would never be those old corny ABC movies, but this is quite possibly the worst cartoon of 2016. Nothing is worse than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is that another cartoon with awful CGI made in France, like Sonic Boom and that Garfield show?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Y-Hat posted:

Is that another cartoon with awful CGI made in France, like Sonic Boom and that Garfield show?

Nope, awful flash instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzsoQWF-iic

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Crabtree posted:

I cannot believe how boring that new Peanuts show is. Its like a modern day version of that God Awful The Archie Show. Several terrible 2 minute long "Joke" segments that present themselves exactly like they came from a Prozac laden performance of some children they found in a parking lot to read the same recycled segments from a Sunday paper. I mean, I guess it was always doomed to awfulness as it would never be those old corny ABC movies, but this is quite possibly the worst cartoon of 2016. Nothing is worse than this.

Believe it or not, the last Peanuts TV special aired on Fox in 2011 (and yearly for a couple of years thereafter) and was actually not that bad, nothing like that French flash animated garbage. Up until then they had a new one every couple of years since the '70s.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Y-Hat posted:

Garfield's pretty poo poo I'll grant you, but Sonic Boom has a ton of surprisingly funny moments.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Garfield, apparently they're going to be making another movie eventually. Thankfully it'll be animated this time:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/689385-did-someone-say-lasagna-a-garfield-animated-movie-is-coming#rYdTydSbs8eD7W3o.99

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Garfield, apparently they're going to be making another movie eventually. Thankfully it'll be animated this time:

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/689385-did-someone-say-lasagna-a-garfield-animated-movie-is-coming#rYdTydSbs8eD7W3o.99

"Thankfully"

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

El Tortuga posted:

"Thankfully"

The one good thing about crappy movie revivals of old animated properties is it being a paycheck and a punchline for lesser-known comedians. Now we don't even get to enjoy its equivalent of David Cross fuming about having to go on a cruise for a Chipmunks sequel or John Oliver making Smurfs references on The Bugle for years.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

El Tortuga posted:

"Thankfully"

Not saying it'll be good mind you, just a step in the right direction.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, shows and movies didn't stop featuring zombies, they are now the zombies.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I used to love zombies. I was one of those guys. But I got zombies out of my system when Left 4 Dead 2 came out. Now I don't mind zombies, but I do avoid shows where they're the main selling point.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
speaking of zombie franchises

kefkafloyd posted:

Some tidbits about the new cartoon in an article about distribution rights. With an actual picture!

quote:

Aimed at kids 6 to 9, as well as their parents who grew up loving the videogames, the animated series will feature exciting new technologies and robots, as well as the introduction of Mega Man’s alter-ego, Aki Light, a normal, upbeat, schoolboy robot. When activated, his skin re-forms – in a flurry of computer code and visual pyrotechnics – into a suit of impenetrable nanocore armor, including the iconic Mega Buster arm cannon and helmet. Beloved characters, like Rush, will return - while new characters, like Mega Mini™, will make their debut! The new Mega Man animated series has a target air date of 2017, coinciding with the franchise's 30th anniversary.

The new animated Mega Man series focuses on a normal, upbeat schoolboy robot, who discovers that deep within his programming lies secret protocols that can transform him into the powerful Mega Man. And, as the world’s first robotic super-hero, Mega Man must face the threats of Silicon City, while trying to preserve his secret identity and maintain a regular robot boy life.

Seems more coherent a concept and more serious than the Pacman or Sonic shows, probably won't be great but more watchable than those, really. Weirdly young skewing target audience though, despite the plea for older video game fans to watch it.

Also the design does not look good, but I don't think any cgi show has designs that didn't make people scream "Looks like a nintendo 64 game, my childhood is ruined by this adaptation of something I liked from it!!!!!".

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 26, 2016

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I like the design a lot, it's a good modernization for Mega Man, just the art style doesn't look good at all in that still. Hopefully a proper shot of the show makes it look decent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Guy Mann posted:

The one good thing about crappy movie revivals of old animated properties is it being a paycheck and a punchline for lesser-known comedians. Now we don't even get to enjoy its equivalent of David Cross fuming about having to go on a cruise for a Chipmunks sequel or John Oliver making Smurfs references on The Bugle for years.

You ever think David looks at Breaking Bad and BCS, then looks a Chipmunks, and silently curses Bob under his breath?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Acne Rain posted:

speaking of zombie franchises

Seems more coherent a concept and more serious than the Pacman or Sonic shows, probably won't be great but more watchable than those, really. Weirdly young skewing target audience though, despite the plea for older video game fans to watch it.

Also the design does not look good, but I don't think any cgi show has designs that didn't make people scream "Looks like a nintendo 64 game, my childhood is ruined by this adaptation of something I liked from it!!!!!".
[/quote]

Will this be better or worse than the Mighty No. 9 cartoon?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

With the showing the latest game trailer brought, there's a pretty decent chance there may not even be a cartoon. I'm kinda rooting against the game at this point because Inafune put all these eggs in his basket and I just wanna break 'em all.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Acne Rain posted:

To be fair a lot of children's cartoons have really hideous first promotional pics for some reason. The example I always remember is how the first picture of Transformer Animated was the worst possible depiction of the art style.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Man, it's even hard for me to get excited about a Fionna and Cake episode anymore. drat, Adventure Time.

Edit: Okay, Ice Queen having her own in-universe fanfiction about Fionna and Cake is a good joke.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I basically gave up on Adventure Time after Breezy but I ended up watching that episode anyway because a Fionna and Cake episode at least had the potential to be fun. Still didn't do much for me but I agree that the four levels of fanfiction reading was a great gag.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MrAristocrates posted:

four levels of fanfiction reading

That's a pretty accurate summary of the current state of the show :v:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This week's Gumball was really good, as usual.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Man, it's even hard for me to get excited about a Fionna and Cake episode anymore.
Hannibal Buress voiced Flame Prince, that's gotta be worth something.

CuddlyZombie posted:

This week's Gumball was really good, as usual.
Same with Clarence.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

Same with Clarence.

Clarence's latest episode was absolutely perfect (for me and my tastes). I went ahead and bought the season pass on iTunes because of it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Y-Hat posted:

Hannibal Buress voiced Flame Prince, that's gotta be worth something.

I did enjoy how gay that scene was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This is gonna be good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Waffleman_ posted:

This is gonna be good.

Eugh, I'm not a fan of TTGO either really but christ, I wouldn't wish that on them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Eugh, I'm not a fan of TTGO either really but christ, I wouldn't wish that on them.

It's the perfect storm of salt and I'm gonna sit back and enjoy it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

This is gonna be good.
Nuts and Gum. Together at last!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's a TTG episode so it should be good regardless of the PPG reboot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's too bad there probably wasn't enough time for the crossover to also address the reception of PPG16 in addition to TTG's regular ribbing at its critics.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Guy Mann posted:

I wish we could hear Jon Oliver talk about anything on the Bugle anymore. At least he got to laugh at Smurfs a bit recently.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

It's too bad there probably wasn't enough time for the crossover to also address the reception of PPG16 in addition to TTG's regular ribbing at its critics.

It could always make that nerd from that one episode of the old PPG the strawman bad guy. That'd be, yeah, that'd be a riot :geno:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 28, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

That one PPG16 Episode about the princess gets extra stupid points for failing completely at delivering the lesson it was supposed to teach.

"Girls, is it okay if I like wearing fancy dresses AND punching bad guys?"

Yes Bubbles, except we spent the last ten minutes stopping a crazy lady from trying to kill herself and that is not at all what was being implied here.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
PPG would be WAY better if it didn't try to have a lesson every episode. That aspect feels forced, is at odds with the show's general attitude and drags the rest of it down.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's a TTG episode so it should be good regardless of the PPG reboot.

I wonder if they'll get Tara Strong to do Bubbles, since she's already there.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

paradoxGentleman posted:

That one PPG16 Episode about the princess gets extra stupid points for failing completely at delivering the lesson it was supposed to teach.

This is an issue. They're not bad enough to be bad and silly, but they're not on point enough to really be honest, and worth having an episode about.

They just feel kind of tacked on, and a half hearted after thought.

Also, Adventure Time has been on a pretty enjoyable roll since King's Ransom.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

PicklePants posted:

Also, Adventure Time has been on a pretty enjoyable roll since King's Ransom.

Speaking of that, what was the issue everyone had with Breezy? It's been a long time, I don't remember.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I liked AT even when everyone was giving up on it but I understood their complaints mostly but right now I don't know what problems people are having with it. After the last show runner left they've pretty much not had any of the things people complained about and it's mostly been Finn and Jake having adventures

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just haven't been able to bring myself to care since I stopped paying attention. And then when I do try, some plot or another is being set up and some loving one-off gag character is suddenly vitally important to something or else. I can't speak for the show now, I've just given up on it and it doesn't look like I'll be able to catch up on whatever they're doing anytime soon.

However, once I realized that Stakes was a standalone miniseries, I gave it a shot and liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

Speaking of that, what was the issue everyone had with Breezy? It's been a long time, I don't remember.

I think it just went too far with the show being kind of depressing, Finn being not very likable and the show having paper thin subtext with some sketchy stuff going on. Also that was like the start of Sithsaber posting about the show until he was banned and that probably did not help things.