Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
gently caress King Slime he's a dirty cheating bullet sponge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

symbolic posted:

:staredog:

gently caress, I might have to try ranged on my next character.

I've played mostly ranged characters while my friends played melee or magic characters. A lot of things in the game make it feel like ranged is the developer's One True Way To Play.
The lack of an easy self-heal is the obvious except to this, of course...

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Zereth posted:

The Vortex Beater with Chlorophyte Bullets is loving cheating :staredog:

Think that's nasty? Try a Sniper Rifle with Luminite Bullets. :commissar:
Granted, Chlorobeater is better against single targets, but Lumirifle wipes large crowds out so easily it shouldn't be legal.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Of the Stardust Cell Staff and the Stardust Dragon Staff, which summoning weapon is the better choice?

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Delicious flakes of butt!
I know almost nothing about this game but I'm buying it in 10mins.
Am I right in being extremely excited about it if I love Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, Castlevania, Dwarf Fortress, etc... or am I gonna be disappointed?
I've known about this game for a while, but I had a misconception about what it is, so it's just been sitting there under my nose for like 5yrs now or whatever.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Fetus posted:

Of the Stardust Cell Staff and the Stardust Dragon Staff, which summoning weapon is the better choice?

Both. Dragon owns single targets but the cells are better at crowd control.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Buttflakes posted:

Am I right in being extremely excited about it if I love Minecraft, Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, Castlevania, Dwarf Fortress, etc... or am I gonna be disappointed?
I've known about this game for a while, but I had a misconception about what it is, so it's just been sitting there under my nose for like 5yrs now or whatever.

You'll love it. It's kinda like Minecraft as in you can go around to gather stuff to build poo poo, but also like a metroidvania because you'll become more powerful over time which leads you to defeat bosses which unlock more stuff, and this loops goes on for like 40-50 hours or something. It's great!

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Both. Dragon owns single targets but the cells are better at crowd control.

Huh, I always thought it was the other way around.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

TWIST FIST posted:

Huh, I always thought it was the other way around.

If I'm remembering right every section of the dragon deals damage separately, so when it passes through a boss the boss is getting hit a ton of times.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That and every segment you summon ups the damage per hit. But it's only one minion that likes to wander off and kill poo poo offscreen. Vs bosses it'll sit on them and do tons of damage as fast as the piercing cap will let it, up to about 1k per hit if you wear all the summon gear and menancing accessories.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Buttflakes posted:

Here's my one true tip for a brand new player: you can show stuff to the guide and he will tell you what can be made with it.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Buttflakes posted:

Terraria is like if Minecraft had a baby with a roguelike Metroidvania and it was raised by all the bad words for jews. It's pretty great, the only downside is the need to hit up the wiki often to figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 26, 2016

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Ali Aces posted:

it was raised by all the bad words for jews.

Um, what???

That's a hell of a sentence, right there.

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Well alrighty then! Looks like I'm happily going to be dumping the next 300hrs of my life into this game!
Downloading now, gently caress yayuh!

Can I join the cool kids' Terraria club now? :dance:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Buttflakes posted:

Well alrighty then! Looks like I'm happily going to be dumping the next 300hrs of my life into this game!
Downloading now, gently caress yayuh!

Can I join the cool kids' Terraria club now? :dance:

You sure can! Your entry fee is making an initial crappy hut for the Guide, redesigning and making some kind of larger integrated housing for him and the next few NPCs, saying "gently caress it" and adding in minimum-size torch-and-table huts for the next dozen, and eventually making some giant public works project for everyone.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr. Fetus posted:

I have had very few complaints with two cells out and the rest of my minion slots full of dragon. The only issue is the dragon keeps killing things in caves I can't reach. Or offscreen. Which has lead to two unintentional WoF kills.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I've never actually played Terraria before for any amount of time, can someone suggest a good tutorial? Someone on the YouTubes would really help.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Ali Aces posted:

Terraria is like if Minecraft had a baby with a roguelike Metroidvania and it was raised by all the bad words for jews.

Yeah, I think we're gonna need an explanation for what you mean by that. :stare:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've only used the Stardust Dragon and basically everything it touches dies in seconds.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I started the Lunar Events again because I figured it's time to face my fears and take on the Moon Lord. And then I kept dying to the pillars. loving Nebula pillar.
Maybe another time...

OTOH I now have a Vortex Beater, 500 Chlorophyte bullets and an alien car key. So maybe the odds are pretty even.

EDIT: I died at literally the last loving second, dammit.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 26, 2016

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ali Aces posted:

Terraria is like if Minecraft had a baby with a roguelike Metroidvania and it was raised by all the bad words for jews. It's pretty great, the only downside is the need to hit up the wiki often to figure out what you're supposed to be doing.

Could you please explain this post.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

I've never actually played Terraria before for any amount of time, can someone suggest a good tutorial? Someone on the YouTubes would really help.

I really really really wanted to just offer this with no explanation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K8PMG42l3M

But:
a) it's from the initial game launch and tons has changed
b) even though it's YA BOY PBAT... it doesn't distill his essence as much as champ.avi from the OP did

So instead I just poked around for a 1.3 let's play, and this one is okayish to start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62TEuuj31j8

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Fetus posted:

Summon a bunch of cells to your minion cap and then summon the dragon once.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ali Aces posted:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Um, what???

That's a hell of a sentence, right there.

VideoGames posted:

Could you please explain this post.

As a Jew, I'm going to add another request for that. I'm not sure if I should be mystified by your clever wordplay and disappointed by my ability to suss out your clever riddle, or righteously loving pissed off at your anti-Semitism.

faptown
Dec 6, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

As a Jew, I'm going to add another request for that. I'm not sure if I should be mystified by your clever wordplay and disappointed by my ability to suss out your clever riddle, or righteously loving pissed off at your anti-Semitism.

http://rickandmorty.wikia.com/wiki/Traflorkians

Buttflakes
Mar 18, 2014

Welp, as a brand new PC player using regular ol' mouse & keyboard, all I can say so far is holy gently caress the interface is gonna take a while to get used to. Aside from that, this looks promising! ....and loving hard! :rock:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The official adventure map was pretty fun. I haven't done any other adventure map stuff, are there any other good ones?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

It's just a dumb Rick and Morty reference. I wasn't aware it apparently hadn't reached sufficient meme status, sorry.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

SirSamVimes posted:

The official adventure map was pretty fun. I haven't done any other adventure map stuff, are there any other good ones?

Yeah that was the big thing I heard about concerning this update. Where can I get the official one even?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bluhman posted:

Yeah that was the big thing I heard about concerning this update. Where can I get the official one even?

The 1.3.1 launch thread has it.

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/1-3-1-mechanics-and-controller-support.43643/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ali Aces posted:

It's just a dumb Rick and Morty reference. I wasn't aware it apparently hadn't reached sufficient meme status, sorry.

In R&M it kinda works because it's used as a way to describe how offensive some slur is supposed to be: it's just a fancy way of saying 'it's as bad as all these slurs combined". Your use of it just plain didn't work.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Solumin posted:

I started the Lunar Events again because I figured it's time to face my fears and take on the Moon Lord. And then I kept dying to the pillars. loving Nebula pillar.
Maybe another time...

OTOH I now have a Vortex Beater, 500 Chlorophyte bullets and an alien car key. So maybe the odds are pretty even.

EDIT: I died at literally the last loving second, dammit.
I'm not seeing "every relevant potion you can make" in there. Ironskin, endurance, regen, heartreach, etc. Also, make a stardust dragon staff and use a bewitching table, and an ammo box and ammo use down potion if you have them, but you can deal with that by just making more ammo. Also remember that standing on the ground is actually better for the solar pillar becuase thos big worms don't give a poo poo about you unless you're in the air.

In other news, I am now tryign to fight the expert mode moon lord and a strategy I got off the wiki didn't actually work because his damage ramped way the gently caress up in phase 2. Maybe I should build a minecart track and just spray green bullets in his general direction out of my dolphin while bouncing back and forth at super high speed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth posted:

In other news, I am now tryign to fight the expert mode moon lord and a strategy I got off the wiki didn't actually work because his damage ramped way the gently caress up in phase 2. Maybe I should build a minecart track and just spray green bullets in his general direction out of my dolphin while bouncing back and forth at super high speed.
I tried "fly directly away from him in a UFO spraying green bullets at him out of a dolphin" and it worked. Man chlorophyte bullets are amazing. Got a little hairy towards the end HP-wise though.

I am however down to 3 bars of clorophyte. I should set up a farm or something.

EDIT:

Zereth fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 27, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Someone remind me about sequence-breaking using fishing. Something about making an iron rod then fishing in the ocean?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Someone remind me about sequence-breaking using fishing. Something about making an iron rod then fishing in the ocean?
You do this until you get a shark that is also a pick, which is as good as a molten pick.

The use of this should be obvious. You can also get any type of ore or bars (depending on crate quality) out of crates you fish up. Which expands to include hardmode ores once you get into hardmode so I'd actually advise keeping them until then so you can skip some of the ore scavenger hunt when suddenly everything's much harder than it was five minutes ago.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, get the best rod you can make and go do some angler quests for bait/gear, and then head over to the ocean to fish. You'll eventually catch a fish-pickaxe that can mine all pre-hardmode materials (including hellstone and corruption/crimson blocks).

e:

quote:

The Reaver Shark can be obtained via Fishing in the Ocean. The chance to catch it is 1:100 with 50% Fishing power and 1:50 with 100% Fishing Power.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 27, 2016

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

You might want to break all the rocks and poo poo on the surface to get worms which you catch with a net you buy from the merchant, and then combine them with stars to make a pretty good bait. Especially if you're keeping crates for hardmode since those are the best source of journeyman and master baits.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Do note that this may actually take longer than doing things in sequence, especially since there's a bunch of dumb progress gates on later bosses.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Here's my older maps using the fancy-pants screenshot tool.

This was my first Terraria world that I made with friends I think ~2011ish I think? It survived a few updates but after the world became really outdated, we had to switch.

This from when we came back to the game about two years later when they added the snow biome. Naturally we wanted to set up a snow community. This once again became very outdated when more updates rolled through.

This is our current world, set up on the right edge of the map on the beach area. This is when we started going all-out with the tools the game had. Of all the things in this, I'm most proud of the dark sewer connected to the underground house. I used that weird water tool that makes water drip from the ceiling and another tool which changed the color of the water.

Of course, this map was a huge mistake because we decided to do Expert Mode with brand new characters, which we found out was a big no-no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Definitely save all the crates you can find to open them only after you reach hardmode. Try to get a few crates from every biome, too. You may need to flood a section of the dungeon to get dungeon crate; the best way to fish in a dungeon is pre-hardmode where you can build yourself a safe little cabin. Kill all dungeon monsters which aren't dumb skeletons, but keep all skeletons alive and stuck in a little on-screen area where they can't reach you. This way it'll prevent annoying monsters that can fly , toss projectiles, or go through bricks from spawning and you can fish for a while (possibly AFK) in piece.