Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Those screenshots are pretty weird. Where are they from?

In motion this looks fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQM_craZ8ss
(looks like from this which... I can see the point but everything else tho)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM9XW_9AT6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biHcMUiLhxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHB3oEkUljI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

effectual posted:

Maybe half of the 100 million went up Duncan's nose to get him to not retire in shame.

I feel really bad for Jones right now. First his dad dies, followed immediately by his career.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Shanty posted:

Would watch a horror movie set in the Win95 screensaver labyrinth.

Reboot needed 6 seasons and a movie.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

lazorexplosion posted:

I'm trying to put my finger on why this looks so bad and fake, and I think it's the lighting? Like the lighting doesn't look remotely like it comes from any natural light source?

It's pretty weird looking. It's too fake looking to be convincing but not nearly stylized enough to be interesting or striking.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The guy who said the WoW universe is kind of boring is right on point: it works in the games because the entire conceit is "a colorful pastiche of generic fantasy stuff, but you're actually exploring it/controlling armies in it". In film it's just a generic fantasy setting without a hook.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The perennial problem with videogame movies is that videogames themselves were just warmed over takes on stuff the developers grew up with. It's like feeding a xerox into a xerox machine. It's like Michael Keaton in multiplicity. It's like an artifacted jpg. It's like Warcraft.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Young Freud posted:

I feel really bad for Jones right now. First his dad dies, followed immediately by his career.

He'll probably go back to making the sort of brilliant films he enjoys making. :shrug: You don't need to direct huge poo poo to have a great directing career.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, he hated every step of this. :rolleyes:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, he hated every step of this. :rolleyes:

Nah he's a huge nerd and loves this poo poo. It's just that people insisting that his career is now dead are making awfully big assumptions about what he wants out of it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This vitriol is reminding me of what was happening with BvS before it even came out.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Goons hate themselves and everyone like them.

*as proven by the hugeass Warcraft movie thread dedicated to making GBS threads on it before the movie is out, in case that was unclear*

doverhog fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 26, 2016

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I'm not even sure what's necessarily offensive about having a rape survivor/sex worker be a main character in a story that is literately a race war.

I'm hoping her romance with Lothar is more than just a chaste kiss after one of them is dead. Ya burned me, The Hobbits, ya burned me! Inter-racial stuff is cool and good, you hear me, fantasy genre :argh:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I swear to god every time I see this picture I have to remember that it's not an FMV game from the 90s. I'm sure it looks mostly okay when it's in motion and not as blurry (I hope) but a still like this just makes every flaw stand out.
FMV? That picture wouldn't look out of place in Betrayal at Krondor.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ephemeron posted:

FMV? That picture wouldn't look out of place in Betrayal at Krondor.

If I had any idea what that even was I'd probably agree

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Black Bones posted:

I'm not even sure what's necessarily offensive about having a rape survivor/sex worker be a main character in a story that is literately a race war.

Massive incredulity that it will be approached with anywhere near the respect it deserves in a PG-13 fantasy blockbuster.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Kerrrrrrr posted:

If I had any idea what that even was I'd probably agree

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

This vitriol is reminding me of what was happening with BvS before it even came out.

bvs was terrible so it would stand to reason

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Black Bones posted:

I'm hoping her romance with Lothar is more than just a chaste kiss after one of them is dead. Ya burned me, The Hobbits, ya burned me! Inter-racial stuff is cool and good, you hear me, fantasy genre :argh:

It's terrifically boring because 'she got raped strong!' is a lazy backstory for a Strong Female Lead. See also: the second 300 film.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Nah "corruption" was from the RTS games, and were a story thing made on mechanical grounds. The game design wanted every faction to fight every other faction and that made no sense story wise so you needed to gin up reasons protoss were fighting other protoss and elves were fighting other elves and orcs were fighting other orcs and humans were fighting elves and whatever. The easiest way to explain it enough to make it a one battle thing in the campaign was explain that the group you fight was just being controlled by the bad guy or whatever. That carried out of the RTS and went into everything else blizzard. (here is a thin excuse why one of the bosses in diablo II is an angel! he got corrupted! here is a thin excuse why you have to fight the player classes! they got corrupted! etc) It was all a gameplay first thing.

Pretty much none of this is accurate. :psyduck:

Neither Warcraft 1, 2, Starcraft 1 or Brood Wars relied on corruption to provide excuses for factions to fight. The Protoss had the Hierarchs faction, the Dark Templar, Tassadars faction. No corruption needed. Likewise, Warcraft 3 uses corruption a grand total of once in the fashion you describe and that's Grom falling off the wagon.

The corruption meme is 100% rooted in the direction Blizzard stories took post-WoW and especially under the direction of Metzen, who went from artist to story lead. Corruption and mind control as character motivations suddenly became way the gently caress more prevalent.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 27, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

Neither Warcraft 1, 2, Starcraft 1 or Brood Wars relied on corruption to provide excuses for factions to fight. The Protoss had the Hierarchs faction, the Dark Templar, Tassadars faction. No corruption needed. Likewise, Warcraft 3 uses corruption a grand total of once in the fashion you describe and that's Grom falling off the wagon.

The corruption meme is 100% rooted in the direction Blizzard stories took post-WoW and especially under the direction of Metzen, who went from artist to story lead. Corruption and mind control as character motivations suddenly became way the gently caress more prevalent.

If by post-WoW you mean post-Warcraft 3, then sure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Arthus?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

If we are talking strictly supernatural corruption turning people evil, there is the Dark Templar matriarch controlled by Kerrigan and Kerrigan herself in Starcraft.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

That can't be an excuse for factions to fight each other, as he turns into the other faction!

Nicke
Mar 10, 2004

Metzen has been the story lead since Warcraft 2 for all their games.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Arthas' corruption storyline takes place over the entire campaign and is at least somewhat believable. He was already lost before he picked up frostmourne, by doing terrible evil things for a greater good. It's a gradual decline of his personality that culminated in his soul getting stolen.

Nowadays it's characters getting zapped with dark red lightning and *poof* they are evil.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Most Warcraft characters have the curse of flesh and are thus corrupted to begin with.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Corrode posted:

It's terrifically boring because 'she got raped strong!' is a lazy backstory for a Strong Female Lead. See also: the second 300 film.

Garona's background has been shuffled around a lot over the years because Blizzard realized how gross it was even as far back as Warcraft 3. She was originally supposed to be part of that game and was going to be Thrall's romantic interest but they couldn't reconcile her character and background with the new direction the series was taking.

I don't know if they're keeping her as a product of rape in the movie, too, but the fact that it might have its lead female protagonist be a product of rape that also got raped into being "strong" is loving :psyduck:-levels of terrible.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

fatherboxx posted:

If we are talking strictly supernatural corruption turning people evil, there is the Dark Templar matriarch controlled by Kerrigan and Kerrigan herself in Starcraft.

King Leoric in Diablo 1 and His son in Diablo 2 as well.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

wrong thread.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 27, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vanderdeath posted:

I don't know if they're keeping her as a product of rape in the movie, too, but the fact that it might have its lead female protagonist be a product of rape that also got raped into being "strong" is loving :psyduck:-levels of terrible.

The main character of the Alliance story in Warlords of Draenor - a woman - was Garona's mother in one of the beta builds. :v:

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The orcish invasion in Warcraft 1 was initiated by a corrupted Medivh.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

I'm embarrassed that I know this but you're overlooking both Sarah Kerrigan in Starcraft and whatever the name of that female Dark Templar leader from Brood War was. Hell, the entire terran plotline in Stracraft I involves the protagonist first leaving the Confederacy because it's corrupt and then allying with a rebel leader who also turns out to be corrupt. For that matter, the entire plot of Diablo II is about tracking down the corrupted former hero from Diablo I. And the entire arc of the human story in Warcraft III is also about corruption. Actually, as I think about it, I vaguely remember that in Warcraft the original Dark Portal was opened because of a corrupt human wizard.

Maybe it got even worse since Warcraft III, which is the last Blizzard game I played, but it was already a go-to plot device by the time Starcraft came out. Spiritual or political corruption are the ur-plot of seemingly every Blizzard game ever.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's Blizz's own Hero's Jounery.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Corrode posted:

I don't think there needs to be a big fuss over a mishandled backstory by inept but probably well meaning writers, but I kind of want #RAPESTRONG to become a thing.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

Maybe it got even worse since Warcraft III, which is the last Blizzard game I played, but it was already a go-to plot device by the time Starcraft came out. Spiritual or political corruption are the ur-plot of seemingly every Blizzard game ever.

More or less. By which I mean more corruption, and not less less corruption.

Blizzard isn't all that hot on thematic ingenuity.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Now that I think about it Diablo I's backstory was about a corrupt king unleashing an ancient evil.

:psyduck:

Is there a single Blizzard game that isn't about corruption?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Toady posted:

The orcish invasion in Warcraft 1 was initiated by a corrupted Medivh.

That's a retcon. Originally Medivh was just bitter about his lot in life and saw the orc invasion as a way to get back at his old man.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Mark Kermode enjoyed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-8ghk9ojk

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Helsing posted:

Now that I think about it Diablo I's backstory was about a corrupt king unleashing an ancient evil.

:psyduck:

Is there a single Blizzard game that isn't about corruption?

I don't know but for Diablo games which are about evil demons from hell corrupting stuff it fits. Read the bible, Blizzard didn't invent this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I hear so much about corruption in this and other blizzard threads that the word has lost all meaning to me.

• Locked thread