Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

You know, if rolls could at least push things around then the total lack of poise might not be so bad. I just hate accidentally backing into a corner while a couple featherweight enemies poke at me, knowing that now I'm forever stuck and my only choices are to either pointlessly roll through attacks until the heat death of the universe or just give up and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Jaaam posted:

I just noticed you can press r3 twice in the menu to close a window so you can see your character. Now I can see how poo poo looks without having to exit/open the menu constantly! I have quadrupled my fashion souls efficiency.

Wait until you figure out that pressing L3 brings up the menu that lets you sort your items. :boom:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Blacktoll posted:

I think I'm going to cheat engine in the dragon slayer spear so I can try out and have fun with an interesting weapon.

dude just pick it up - it's literally lying on the ground in Archdragon Peak or whatever it's called.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I mean I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable at PVP or even good, but hypothetically if you pitted two equally-skilled players against one another, gave one an estoc and the other a "good-but-not-great" weapon of any other class, the outcome is clear. What weapon class trumps estocs or straight swords that the user of the latter can't just dodge into and out of the former's sweet spot?

God that's an awkward post but it checks out dammit.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

dude just pick it up - it's literally lying on the ground in Archdragon Peak or whatever it's called.

Yeah I know where it is dude. I just wanna play with it earlier.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

killstealing posted:

I bought the dark souls board game cause all the pledge rewards looked too sweet

quote me and tell me what a dumb person i am

it's just like the real darksouls because you can knock the game pieces over!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What pledge tier unlocks poise in the board game

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cyberventurer posted:

My highest-rated message, at 30 points, is one I completely ripped off from another player. :shobon:

It's some nonsense line like "Time for now the real fight begins all the more if only I had a may the flames guide thee".

People seemed to really appreciate the "be wary of hole" message I left in Profaned Capital in that little parallel hallways section where you can easily fall down into the lava while chasing a crystal lizard :shobon:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
my highest rated message got like 100 points in a week, it's 'could this be a... angel' in front of the first corvian you encounter in road of sacrifices

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
"Could it be a friend?
all the more Bless the Old Dear"

In front of Andre, sitting at around 80-something on my first character. I really wish comments were shared across all your characters because I hate thinking of new poo poo that'll probably never get rated anyway.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Deified Data posted:

I mean I don't claim to be the most knowledgeable at PVP or even good, but hypothetically if you pitted two equally-skilled players against one another, gave one an estoc and the other a "good-but-not-great" weapon of any other class, the outcome is clear. What weapon class trumps estocs or straight swords that the user of the latter can't just dodge into and out of the former's sweet spot?

God that's an awkward post but it checks out dammit.

1) The estoc user would win if nobody had a situational advantage.

2) If we talk equal skill again, situational advantages, like getting the jump on, landing a lengthy damaging combo, that's what it's all about. Gotta git incredibly gud and use everything you can get to your advantage, in order to not roll your ashen eyes at the three teddybears ready to spam their straightswords and go hide afk while making a sandwich waiting for the host to die to a basic monster.

I'm getting better at dealing with spamfests like that every encounter I don't give up on and DS3 PvP is the Dark Souls of PvP when you ignore thrusting swords and straight swords but so goooooooooooooooooood when you beat the tryhardiest of assholes with your random piece of poo poo no-luck weapon without even landing a parry.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What do you guys do when you're having an honoroburu duel and you get healed by a rated message? I won a close one this way last night and wonder if my opponent realized what happened.

Related question: can phantoms get healed by rated messages when they're in someone else's world?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Can I post about DS1 in this thread? I'm playing the series for the first time and I screwed up and killed Andre of Astora one night when I got really high and accidentally hit the trigger on my controller when I was done buying stuff.

Here is my current equipment: http://i.imgur.com/rKkdAEU.jpg http://i.imgur.com/fy3vJ0K.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Zidg79j.jpg

Here are the items I've ascended past +5 already: http://i.imgur.com/cyguABs.jpg

And here are my current stats: http://i.imgur.com/jrSlYk0.jpg

Currently at Ornstein and Smough as a level 68 Knight, medium roll, no spells, and I really don't wanna start over. I'll probably just buy DSII if I'm in an unfixable situation.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

You could beat the game but eh that does suck

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

just beat the game

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is that possible without him, though, I guess is what I'm asking. I have the smith boxes and poo poo

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

killstealing posted:

my highest rated message got like 100 points in a week, it's 'could this be a... angel' in front of the first corvian you encounter in road of sacrifices

There's a hollow who throws Undead Hunter Charms from above in Lothric Castle. When you finally get around to the area he's at, I put something like "Time for revenge you bastard". It's got like 30 hits.

Also it's funny to think that we may have never actually faced Havel the Rock, just his common footsoldiers.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Blacktoll posted:

Yeah I know where it is dude. I just wanna play with it earlier.

You could also have a friend who already has it (and isn't using it) to drop it for you. It's how I got my Twin Princes's Greatsword in NG.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

People seemed to really appreciate the "be wary of hole" message I left in Profaned Capital in that little parallel hallways section where you can easily fall down into the lava while chasing a crystal lizard :shobon:

I left one of those there, but literally nobody rated it ever so it eventually made way for more room on the ones people seemed to be moticing. Like pointing out "Hey, There are ashes down this side path!" or "Try Fire" by enemies that stun from fire.

But all my warnings about poo poo that will get you wrecked, hardly anyone cares :v: Like my warnings by that three Jailer pile down some stairs.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
any truth to this https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4l6sbo/dark_souls_3_dlc_confirmed_for_fall_release/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've had way less message activity in general than in dark souls 2 and bloodborne. I'm not sure why but with the matching problems for many covenants I wonder if it could be a server thing somehow. Could just be unlucky though

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Since I went and made that new account to test autosummons (that still don't work :cry: ) what should I do with this character? I'm sitting at Halfway Bonfire, am around L25 and started as a knight. Haven't leveled anything up too much,. Have I think 12 Fth, 10Int, moderate dex/str. Currently using raw Astora SS. The character I beat the game with was a general quality build, so I'm up for any good (or hell, retarded) specializer.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Yup, Miyazaki at a Japanese event spoke about the DLC packs and their target dates of fall and spring, calling them chapters etc.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

TopHatGenius posted:

You could also have a friend who already has it (and isn't using it) to drop it for you. It's how I got my Twin Princes's Greatsword in NG.

Who cares?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I had a ton on my first character and barely any on subsequent ones. I think people just stop rating messages after the first few weeks.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

Blacktoll posted:

Who cares?

Alright.

Deified Data posted:

I had a ton on my first character and barely any on subsequent ones. I think people just stop rating messages after the first few weeks.

Yeah when I first went through the game, I left notes everywhere, read everything, and rated everything too.

I think even on my first character in NG+ I just stopped caring. And it shows. Hardly the same volume of messages as before.

TopHatGenius fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 27, 2016

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Frog Act posted:

Is that possible without him, though, I guess is what I'm asking. I have the smith boxes and poo poo

If you ever kill a plot relevant NPC< they will drop the item that makes them relevant. If a mandatory item is ever lost in a permanent way, it will show up in the chest behind Frampt.

My very first message was deleted because I didn't realize you were limited to ten messages. Right now my highest rated one is "If I only had a bonfire" with the path of the dragon gesture sitting in an empty fireplace in Lothric castle.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Blacktoll posted:

Who cares?

Probably From. People have been banned for less.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm doing it on a family share account. But thanks.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Gus Hobbleton posted:

If you ever kill a plot relevant NPC< they will drop the item that makes them relevant. If a mandatory item is ever lost in a permanent way, it will show up in the chest behind Frampt.

My very first message was deleted because I didn't realize you were limited to ten messages. Right now my highest rated one is "If I only had a bonfire" with the path of the dragon gesture sitting in an empty fireplace in Lothric castle.

How so? With Andre it seems like there is no replacing him because of his ability to ascend weapons past +5 and then past 10, though I haven't checked the chest behind frampt yet. People on Reddit are saying I might want to start over which is so loving lame I'll just buy DSII instead

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

people on reddit are little noobies. the demon hammer is cool. just use what you got and beat the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

What position do maces have in the PvP meta, if any?

The trashcan. Most maces are woefully outclassed by straight swords due to having less phantom range and worse stamina consumption. The ones with perseverance might be usable since its such a good weapon skill, but the you're fighting an uphill battle as an invader whenever you use a short range weapon. Normally I wouldn't consider a mace short range but in this ridiculous phantom range meta, the weapons that don't get any lose out hard if they don't already have good reach.

I dunno how they do in 1v1s, I just know trying to invade with them was awful.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is amazing but what the hell those guys just chased him all the way to their deaths.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
If you absolutely need a maxed weapon, just get a black or silver knight weapon and look up a couple crystal lizard spots.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Wait until you figure out that pressing L3 brings up the menu that lets you sort your items. :boom:

gently caress

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

TopHatGenius posted:

Alright.

Yeah when I first went through the game, I left notes everywhere, read everything, and rated everything too.

I think even on my first character in NG+ I just stopped caring. And it shows. Hardly the same volume of messages as before.

I feel like they should have left voice chat completely out, and kept messages short in length, and with only a bizarrely cryptic selection of words. they're way too long and you can make coherent sentences and it's just not funny any more.

also every message that says TRY JUMPING or ILLUSIONARY WALL is fake 99.99% of the time, so the humor is ruined after the first zone.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Do any enemies drop chaos gems? I just found the one and it made my barbed straight sword significantly better than the raw rear end I was using for my pyromancer. It'd be nice to have other chaos weapons.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TRY TONGUE THEN FINGER

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

NotAnArtist posted:

Do any enemies drop chaos gems? I just found the one and it made my barbed straight sword significantly better than the raw rear end I was using for my pyromancer. It'd be nice to have other chaos weapons.

You know those HP-tank pain in the rear end horrible rear end in a top hat enemies that poo poo fireballs, throw fireballs, eat fireballs, spawn fireball orbs that shoot fireballs at you? They have a dropchance.

Other than there's a lizard in that same area, a corpse up by the crabs in that same subzone, a lizard later in the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

people on reddit are little noobies. the demon hammer is cool. just use what you got and beat the game.

so I'll be aight to keep going with my Silver Knight Straight Sword +5? I'm also trying to farm up a silver knight spear