Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Senf posted:

That last part is honestly the best idea he's ever had.
Except it should be implemented by someone more competent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4kzdtl/big_age_differences_in_marriage_and_how_that_pans/

quote:

I am 36 years old and my husband is 54. We have been married 8 years and have no kids, and will never have kids. Its starting to bother me how when I am 50, he will be 68. He is a contractor but doesn't have a retirement account or health insurance. I have a federal job and I pay 5% in the tsp and I have 64k in there. Is that a good start? My husband may get retirement from his European country of origin (i am from us, and we live in the US). He has no other family. He is pretty healthy overall, but am just wondering how all the pans out later. For example, when I am 67, he wil be 85. Also, I only have Associates degree and my job pays only 39k but good benefits. Is it worth it at my age to go back to college for a business degree? It would not be an Ivy League school. As of now, the only debt we have is his sports car, but we are also renting as he doesn't want to buy a house. Thanks for any feedback.

quote:

Yes, he's paying off his sport's car (about 15,000 to go). That is our only debt. We do taxes every year, but he does not contribute to Social Security/Medicare since he's been in this country (permanent resident since 2006). He is on my health insurance plan, and he makes about 60K/year. But we don't seem to be saving up much, but we do have 68K in the TSP. Yes, i do want to stay in gov't and will look into moving up if I can.

Here are our expenses: Rent: 1000/month Utilities plus cable and phone: 500/month (estimate) Food: 800/month Medical Insurance: 400/month

My car is paid off. His boat is paid off. I have an Associates with no Student Loans. I have all the clothes and shoes I want. We tried buying a home in 2008, but were denied a loan because he doesn't make money on paper (writes off tons of miles). We have no credit card debt. I have excellent credit (>700). We could probably buy a decent house for around $120,000 around here (dfw area). Or, I have been looking into buying an absentee business (oil and gas wells) for $136,000. Or a turn key business.

quote:

I would love to do that, for his sake, and that is a great idea. I just don't think he will ever get rid of the boat. That is his main enjoyment. It's not something that just sits around. He loves taking care of it and going on the lake in various places. It costs alot of money (maintenance/gas/permits) but he would truly be lost without it LOL You're right, I cannot afford him haha. I will mention it, as he gets older he may change his mind. He did once state that his sportscar IS his retirement.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

So he's planning to die in a high-speed collision at age 65 and leave her the life insurance money I guess? :smith:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Paid off assets, little debt, pays almost nothing in taxes, no kids, young wife.

I've seen a lot worse.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

Paid off assets, little debt, pays almost nothing in taxes, no kids, young wife.

I've seen a lot worse.
It's a pretty bad deal for the woman.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

It's a pretty bad deal for the woman.

But she gets to ride in the cool sports car!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Odds are he'll get some pretty good social security and she'll get a good survivor's benefit, so there's that I guess. Again, not ideal but it could be worse.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
He hasn't paid in to Social Security according to her post but I suppose his birth country could help him out?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've seen a lot worse.

Yeah that dude isn't too far away from living the dream, provided he can keep her on board to take care of him when he's old, can't work and has no retirement.

Wife, however, is another story.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

He hasn't paid in to Social Security according to her post but I suppose his birth country could help him out?

Oh poo poo, I missed that in my skimming. Sorry for not reading properly :downs:

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I am trying to think how it would ever be a good investment to be an absentee owner of oil and gas wells. Operating costs on wells makes horse ownership look good and if a horse dies, you just have to bury it, not spend tens of thousands of dollars to plug and abandon it (or pawn it off to someone wanting to try their hand at oil and gas).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Oil! posted:

I am trying to think how it would ever be a good investment to be an absentee owner of oil and gas wells. Operating costs on wells makes horse ownership look good and if a horse dies, you just have to bury it, not spend tens of thousands of dollars to plug and abandon it (or pawn it off to someone wanting to try their hand at oil and gas).

It's turn-key!!! You just turn the key and money comes out!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

quote:

We tried buying a home in 2008, but were denied a loan because he doesn't make money on paper (writes off tons of miles).

Right. Totally not tax evasion. Turns out the kind of guy who wanted to date and had things in common with a woman in her mid 20s when he was in his 40s isn't the most responsible individual. Huh.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Haha that retirement car is a 1994 Dodge Viper. That they owe $15k on. Hahahahahaha

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Barry posted:

Dodge Viper

Good life insurance policy ought to take care of the wife's problems

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Yes, we splurge on food ! That's what we enjoy. Brazilian steakhouses every month..the works. LOL $650 sounds like a good goal. Honestly, I have never budgeted before.

EDIT: I am kind of exaggerating, but we do eat out alot and buy expensive cakes.

quote:

LOL I don't know what happens with food. I go to Whole Foods and spend like $120/week. Then, we go out at least once a week, so $40-$50 there. We'll get a special cake $30. And then regular grocery items like soap, laundry detergent, shampoo, water. So the $800 total was for grocery total, not just food
Weekly cakes: BWM. Whole Foods: :retrogames:

Barry posted:

Haha that retirement car is a 1994 Dodge Viper. That they owe $15k on. Hahahahahaha
The comment chain arguing about whether that counts as investment vehicle is just precious.

quote:

Kelly Blue Book is meaningless for collector cars. That's why collectors car insurance exist, because normal appraisers don't know what collector cars are worth. Try to find a 94 Viper for sale at $15k. Most are about $40k on eBay/autotrader. Is it worth $100k now? No. will it be worth $100k in ten years? I doubt it. Will it appreciate over the next ten years? Probably. Point is you could be in debt on a brand new civic and it will be worth $5k in ten years or you could be in debt on a 20 year old fully depreciated sports car that will hold its value or possibly appreciate.
All while ignoring that they owe $15k on it now, and that $40k-ish isn't enough to fund a retirement.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Depending on his country country of origin and if he is paying into a governmental pension system somewhere, he could get benefits.

https://www.ssa.gov/international/agreements_overview.html

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Haifisch posted:

Weekly cakes: BWM. Whole Foods: :retrogames:

My friend makes six figures and still refers to Whole Foods as Whole Paycheck and avoids shopping there.

Also, my local large grocery store sells sweet potato (or pumpkin, depending on season) pies for $2.99. GWM.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Just found out that my aunt has been committing power of attorney fraud/elder abuse by spending many thousands of dollars (I'm not exactly sure how much, but the absolute floor is $7k and I'm guessing it's much higher) a year on personal purchases: tickets to athletics events and concerts, retail stores, some kind of Christmas savings service (you pay in and they send you a check in November?), etc. My dad has known for a while (he also has POA) and he finally told me about it tonight because he wanted my advice. He is at a loss as to how to handle this.

My opinion is that he should say nothing to my aunt, document everything, and consult an attorney who deals with family/elder/estate law. If my dad is right about the fraud/embezzlement, then her POA needs to be revoked as soon as possible.

Notable things about my aunt: she went through a bad divorce over 10 years ago. Has two kids; 17 and 14. Has a high interest rate mortgage that she can't refinance because she's tied to a bankruptcy with her ex-husband; her mortgage is $1800 a month and she lives in a very low cost of living area (small town in a flyover state). She has a pool, is redoing her porch, deck, and floors. Her kids want for nothing, and while I'm glad they're living the good life because they've been through a lot of poo poo and are really great kids who I love dearly, my aunt has clearly mishandled her own finances, probably in an effort to spoil them and make up for what they've gone through, and now she's mishandling my grandparents' finances.

I've been watching her lifestyle for years, knowing that there was no way she could afford it, and certain that she was in terrible financial shape. I didn't expect her to be abusing her POA though.

But according to this thread, this poo poo happens all the time.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

So after 8 years she's just now thinking about what their age difference means as they age? Did they not do the whole 'this is supposed to be permanent' thing when they got married?

He's 10 years from retirement age and has no savings, and they don't know what he'll be eligible for from his home country? 100k isn't terrible for a DINK but it ain't great, and neither of them is going to make more money in the future. I hope they enjoy those special cakes now because they'll be eating loving dog food if they lose either income and stay married. If she were on her own her retirement savings would be fixable if she buckled down [b]immediately/b] but with his age they're completely hosed if he doesn't get something very good from his home country, US SS be damned.

Jesus Christ lady when some dude marries you for a green card, he's supposed to be young and hot, you're not supposed to get tied up with some old creeper.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Uranium 235 posted:

Just found out that my aunt has been committing power of attorney fraud/elder abuse by spending many thousands of dollars (I'm not exactly sure how much, but the absolute floor is $7k and I'm guessing it's much higher) a year on personal purchases: tickets to athletics events and concerts, retail stores, some kind of Christmas savings service (you pay in and they send you a check in November?), etc. My dad has known for a while (he also has POA) and he finally told me about it tonight because he wanted my advice. He is at a loss as to how to handle this.

My opinion is that he should say nothing to my aunt, document everything, and consult an attorney who deals with family/elder/estate law. If my dad is right about the fraud/embezzlement, then her POA needs to be revoked as soon as possible.

Notable things about my aunt: she went through a bad divorce over 10 years ago. Has two kids; 17 and 14. Has a high interest rate mortgage that she can't refinance because she's tied to a bankruptcy with her ex-husband; her mortgage is $1800 a month and she lives in a very low cost of living area (small town in a flyover state). She has a pool, is redoing her porch, deck, and floors. Her kids want for nothing, and while I'm glad they're living the good life because they've been through a lot of poo poo and are really great kids who I love dearly, my aunt has clearly mishandled her own finances, probably in an effort to spoil them and make up for what they've gone through, and now she's mishandling my grandparents' finances.

I've been watching her lifestyle for years, knowing that there was no way she could afford it, and certain that she was in terrible financial shape. I didn't expect her to be abusing her POA though.

But according to this thread, this poo poo happens all the time.

Hi there, combo-BWM-and-fraudulent-aunt buddy :(:hf::(

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

My aunt was executor of my grandmother's estate and blew away all the money gambling, sold all the jewelry for gambling, and then liquidated her and her husbands' 401ks to gamble. And maxed out cash advances on credit cards to gamble.

I guess it's just a crazy aunt thing.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I have friend who got a minor windfall after a relative died (like $10k) and immediately went to Atlantic City to put it all on black.

He won, but still.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Nail Rat posted:

My aunt was executor of my grandmother's estate and blew away all the money gambling, sold all the jewelry for gambling, and then liquidated her and her husbands' 401ks to gamble. And maxed out cash advances on credit cards to gamble.

I guess it's just a crazy aunt thing.

I can definitely see my sister doing that.Maybe not gambling, but stupid purchases at least.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I had a minor windfall last year after my grandma passed away and I immediately upped my student loan repayments (min: 180, was paying 325, upped it to 800).

Then my work announced a student loan repayment assistance program 1 week later and I slammed that poo poo back to 325 because gently caress that.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bad at Taxes posted:

Yes, the self employment tax has been paid. (Line 57) It's line 58 that is blank on the 1040

Good at Taxes posted:

Oh that's fine. That means he's paid his SS and Medicare tax. That's what line 57 is - the self employment tax is 2.9% medicare and 12.4% SS.
Line 58 only applies as follows:

Unreported Social Security and Medicare Tax from Forms 4137 and 8919
Form 4137: If you received tips of $20 or more in any month and you didn't report the full amount to your employer, you must pay the social security and Medicare or railroad retirement (RRTA) tax on the unreported tips. Do not include the value of any noncash tips, such as tickets or passes. You do not pay social security and Medicare taxes or RRTA tax on these noncash tips.
Form 8919: If you are an employee who received wages from an employer who didn't withhold social security and Medicare tax from your wages, use Form 8919 to figure your share of the unreported tax. Include on line 58 the amount from line 13 of Form 8919. Include the amount from line 6 of Form 8919 on Form 1040, line 7.

I don't think this applies to your husband, right? He's not a W-2 employee?

Lucky for them, it looks like they were paying into Social Security. They were just so bad at taxes they didn't realize what social security taxes actually are. Which, I guess makes them better at taxes than the people who don't pay into Social Security.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They should hook up with Mr. No One Will Give Me A Loan For A Tesla and set their deductions to a billion like him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Considering people are living into their 90's now, I can only imagine how many years this woman is gonna be supporting her dual wielding (boat, 90's sports car) husband. Dudes gonna live to be 150. At least his Viper will almost be paid off by then.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Barry posted:

Hey man, if I ever win the lottery and can really toss some money around, I will strongly consider getting a Viper (or more likely, a replica kit car) and having it custom modded to look like the Viper Defender from the Viper TV show, and also modernize the interior. And then I will let all of you crucify me in this thread.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

SpelledBackwards posted:

Hey man, if I ever win the lottery and can really toss some money around, I will strongly consider getting a Viper (or more likely, a replica kit car) and having it custom modded to look like the Viper Defender from the Viper TV show, and also modernize the interior. And then I will let all of you crucify me in this thread.

BWM related:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/lawyer-gets-home-confinement-for-sale-of-viper-tv-show-cars/ posted:

Lawyer gets home confinement for sale of “Viper” TV show cars

PORT COQUITLAM, B.C. — A lawyer has been given an 18-month conditional sentence with a curfew for his role in the sale of vehicles that were supposed to have been destroyed after being used in the television show “Viper.”

In passing sentence on David Laronde of North Vancouver, Provincial Court Judge George Angelomatis rejected arguments from a prosecutor, Pierre Gagnon, who asked that Laronde be jailed for as long as 30 months because he abused his position as a lawyer.

Laronde was convicted in March of seven counts of fraud involving the sale of Dodge Vipers from the Paramount Pictures science fiction action series, which debuted on NBC in 1994 and switched to syndication the next season. The series was produced in Vancouver through 1999.

Investigators found that instead of being scrapped, 72 vehicles – including many judged to be unsafe after use on the set – wound up in private hands after being sold to auto dealers and the British Columbia Justice Institute, bringing nearly $500,000 (US$400,000).

Phony documents were produced so the vehicles could be registered, and bogus certificates were made to indicate they had been destroyed, authorities said.

Laronde was identified in court as the lawyer who set up a number of companies and bank accounts for the transactions to occur.

He is still working as a lawyer, but his conduct is being investigated by the disciplinary committee of the Law Society of British Columbia, similar to a U.S. bar association.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
When I was like 10 years old, I wanted a Dodge Viper more than anything else in the entire world.

I grew out of that.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Betcha didn't want a 22 year old one though. Pretty low class 10 year old if you ask me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

So you're gonna buy a Viper then turn it into a 90's Celica? A bold plan sir. A bold plan.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=319#post460318409
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3213538&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=320#post460319522

Throatwarbler posted:

I'm going to start law school in the fall far away from home and for that reason I kind of want to buy a truck. I don't think I can comfortably fit any of the half tons in my underground parking space so I went and test drove a new Tacoma today. The clutch is still a bit too long but the gearshift throws are fairly short and its not bad for a truck. Could use an extra gear though, the MT is only a 5 speed. The engine is the new fancy Lexus 3.5l with both direct and port injection and able to switch between Atkinson and Otto cycle. It's expensive as hell since the MT basically only comes with the TRD Off Road trim and I'm never going off road.

I test drove the new Aluminum F150 a couple of days ago too. It's pretty nice but again I don't want to be parking such a large vehicle. The resale values on the Tacoma are so ridiculous that it's looking like the cheaper option.

Throatwarbler posted:

I already have a car, it's perfectly fine other than not being a truck and I barely ever drive it anyway because I ride my bike everywhere. Once I get to school I'm going to just rent a place a mile away from campus and I'll never drive anywhere either. OTOH the total cost of ownership for a Tacoma with the depreciation that KBB and other research is telling me is so low that it seems unreal.

Maybe I just like talking about my litany of poor life choices. :unsmith:

As if law school weren't a bad enough, lets buy a truck to supplement the car I don't drive!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The same dude recommended Chryslers and VWs to unsuspecting goons who wanted a reliable car in the A/T thread.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

The same dude recommended Chryslers and VWs to unsuspecting goons who wanted a reliable car in the A/T thread.

That's the worst thing I've seen posted in this thread. Good grief...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Throatwarbler posted:

Well it's halfway across the continent, having a truck means I can bring more stuff with me and also in the new town pick up free furniture from criag...yeah you know what it's probably not a great reason to buy a truck. :geno:
A rare sighting of "but I NEED a truck for this hauling job I do once a decade!" in the wild, with an even rarer realization that line of thinking is dumb.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I just want to remind everyone, thinking of buying a VW, that it's a vile company that will cheat, lie, steal and sue it's customers for internet posts. No, seriously. VW NA corporate office had fully backed Jim Ellis in lawsuit against a customer, who posted negative experience on a message board, circa early 2000's. You can guess as to what happened.

Archived thread is here, if you want to watch that bullshit train go off the rails.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

I just want to remind everyone, thinking of buying a VW, that it's a vile company that will cheat, lie, steal and sue it's customers for internet posts. No, seriously. VW NA corporate office had fully backed Jim Ellis in lawsuit against a customer, who posted negative experience on a message board, circa early 2000's. You can guess as to what happened.

Archived thread is here, if you want to watch that bullshit train go off the rails.

poo poo. I'm actually considering a Volkswagen and that Jim Ellis location is closest VW dealership to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
My Passat was the worst with money I've ever been. Every single fix was a few hundred dollars or more and they just. kept. coming.*

*plz dont sue me vw

• Locked thread