Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was well past 1g when this guy thought he could keep up. He was driving an older SUV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I had some guy in a camaro driving behind me like an rear end in a top hat, backing off and then flooring it and tailgating, it was funny how far back he was by the end of the s-curve onramp. And then of course went by me at 90+ once he actually got onto the highway.

I see him driving around town like an idiot all the time too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Beach Bum posted:

I'm a person you share a road with because I absolutely love teaching shitheads that their land barges or pickup trucks or what have you will absolutely NOT keep up with my old lovely Corolla/Miata/Ninja (the bike is kinda obvious) on the on-ramp as I pull at least a .5g.

I love doing this to ratty hosed up ricer crapcans. I scared one badly in my XJ on 235/75R15 mud tires (I think his suspension was loving wrecked with ebay bullshit or cut springs) and do it regularly in my forester rolling on (until a few months ago, when the struts got truly scary and I had to actually drive it as slow in corners as most people do) well used 200k+ mile stock suspension. The one I particularly remember in my XJ was great, I had just finished putting the tires on and went to my normal skidpad cloverleaf to test them out. After a half dozen loops around I pretty much knew where the limits were when a fart cannoned shitbox with crappy HIDs crawled up my rearend going into the ramp, so I just stayed at the limit. I saw a lot of swerving and panic brake dipping and after that I'm not really sure because he was too far back to see around the corner anymore.

Got a cellphone G meter app after that and it turns out an XJ on 235/75R15s with otherwise stock suspension will pull drat near 1G lateral if you want it to. I didn't believe it, but some basic math, estimated turn radius from google maps, and my speedo reading corroborated it.

note to those concerned: I only played around like this late at night on a mostly empty highway cloverleaf I knew every bump and washboard of by heart. It's boring *and* unsafe if there are too many normals in the way.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

kastein posted:

I love doing this to ratty hosed up ricer crapcans. I scared one badly in my XJ on 235/75R15 mud tires (I think his suspension was loving wrecked with ebay bullshit or cut springs) and do it regularly in my forester rolling on (until a few months ago, when the struts got truly scary and I had to actually drive it as slow in corners as most people do) well used 200k+ mile stock suspension. The one I particularly remember in my XJ was great, I had just finished putting the tires on and went to my normal skidpad cloverleaf to test them out. After a half dozen loops around I pretty much knew where the limits were when a fart cannoned shitbox with crappy HIDs crawled up my rearend going into the ramp, so I just stayed at the limit. I saw a lot of swerving and panic brake dipping and after that I'm not really sure because he was too far back to see around the corner anymore.

Got a cellphone G meter app after that and it turns out an XJ on 235/75R15s with otherwise stock suspension will pull drat near 1G lateral if you want it to. I didn't believe it, but some basic math, estimated turn radius from google maps, and my speedo reading corroborated it.

note to those concerned: I only played around like this late at night on a mostly empty highway cloverleaf I knew every bump and washboard of by heart. It's boring *and* unsafe if there are too many normals in the way.

There's a descending radius 270­° off-ramp on my commute that I do this to people on when they're tailgating. The first 100 feet aren't bad, but it tightens in a hurry after that.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Not often you get to see this happen

http://i.imgur.com/dsZnLM6.webm

Very satisfying.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
See what?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

White Camaro cruises by the traffic on the shoulder right at the start of the clip, then you see about 1/4 mile down the road a cop lights up from the passing lane and cuts across to the shoulder to follow.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I saw a chick a few years ago who was driving a cab-forward VW Eurovan with her left foot up and sticking out of the window while she worked the brake and gas with her right.

I don't even think what the airbag leaves behind in a crash would be Euclidean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvgRUa41ULQ

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Welp. Driving through a parking lot and a bro with the trash bag haircut rolled through a stop sign in front of me. I had no stop and the right of way. He had his phone two inches in front of his face. I honked. He pulled around next to me like he was saying he was sorry so it was ok that he's an idiot. I was just yelling "get off the phone!" He drove away.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

kastein posted:

I was surprised to see the torque app register 0.98g when I was on snow tires around a ramp with nice smooth pavement. They're low on tread and snow tires have a softer compound so I guess it's possible.

Tonight I got to follow a guy to the interstate who kept accelerating hard and then randomly braking down a straight street with green lights. Then he got up to a whole 40mph by the end of the onramp.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
As for my weekly bitch about phone use while driving, this thing in the article below gives me a slight glimmer of hope that some police and politicians in North America are actually serious about enforcing statutes regarding phone use while driving (and even while in traffic/at lights...) beyond all their posturing over it. I really do hope that and the textalizer (or whatever its called) get pushed out nationwide...and if suburban/rural PDs can go on shopping sprees for full body armour, MP5s, and Bearcats with federal gov homeland security grants then surely they can afford a few of these even though theres not much revenue $$$ in handing out phone use fines as of now is most of the country. Also such a system for catching people might be able to send fines without pulling the driver over, much like how you would get a fine in the mail for running through a toll booth and not paying or of course the dreaded GATSO...and that would make the enforcement much more productive and people might *gasp* think before they reach for their phone out because the eye in the sky may be watching.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/distracted-driving-texting-scopes-bc-1.3586268

Last week while in traffic i had a girl directly behind me who looked like they were shooting themselves for Vogue for the 10min straight they were behind me as they were posing and shooting themselves from very possible angle, dancing and bobbing up and down, while appearing to be speaking to somebody at the same time. i got excited when i spotted a :cop: on foot at the bottom of the offramp on the road we would be turning onto who appeared to be watching cars slowly going by who i had assumed may have been looking for such people but i guess the eagle eyed patrolman totally failed to spot Naomi Campbell in the Kia behind me to hand her a $100 slap on the wrist (or verbal warning if it was a first timer or tears started flowing) so who knows wtf they were doing besides of course collecting $43/hr overtime for doing a traffic detail while sucking down a large dunkin donuts coffee because police details save lives or something. oops didnt mean to go on another rant but that poo poo just comes out so easily after the morning drive into work.

im pretty sure that scene made me a symphorophiliac...shame on whoever doesnt appreciate that film for what it is.

Beach Bum posted:

I'm a person you share a road with because I absolutely love teaching shitheads that their land barges or pickup trucks or what have you will absolutely NOT keep up with my old lovely Corolla/Miata/Ninja (the bike is kinda obvious) on the on-ramp as I pull at least a .5g.

oh yeah guilty as charged...and the Fiesta ST is such a great car for pulling off this little trick too especially when its somebody tailgating you or trying to show off their vehicular superiority (and trucks are the best prey of course for obvious reasons) since 95% of those on the road see it as just another subcompact econobox (unlike say a Miata or FR-S which of course look like sports cars)...until you have an opening and you suddenly come to life and proceed to smoke an offramp like a 911 and they well idk because they usually arent there anymore. Much more fun than anything i could possibly be doing on my phone imho...

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 27, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Wow, people in my city really, really, REALLY don't know how to use roundabouts. There is no traffic in any part of the roundabout, you needn't stop at the entrance!

It's especially noticeable after seeing how comparatively free-flowing roundabouts are in Europe, where people understand how the gently caress to use them properly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PT6A posted:

Wow, people in my city really, really, REALLY don't know how to use roundabouts. There is no traffic in any part of the roundabout, you needn't stop at the entrance!

Don't you have multiple signs explaining how a roundabout works? Here, we have signs indicating a roundabout is ahead, signs indicating which lane goes where, even more signs indicating who has to yield to whom, and "one way" signs in the roundabout so you don't go the wrong way.

Of course, every other intersection in the area is controlled by stop lights, so any time you gain having a roundabout is wiped out a few hundred feet down the road where you have to stop for a red.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Uthor posted:

Don't you have multiple signs explaining how a roundabout works? Here, we have signs indicating a roundabout is ahead, signs indicating which lane goes where, even more signs indicating who has to yield to whom, and "one way" signs in the roundabout so you don't go the wrong way.

Same, roundabouts in my area of the US look like they were designed by a committee of insurance experts: "No, it's not clear to all drivers; divide the lanes and add 10 more signs explaining it."

Edit: but i suppose if they didn't then this thread would be even busier

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Uthor posted:

Of course, every other intersection in the area is controlled by stop lights, so any time you gain having a roundabout is wiped out a few hundred feet down the road where you have to stop for a red.

my local rotary in Massachusetts just got a similar make-over getting expanded, repaved, most importantly with new lane markings added (but no additional signage as of yet since its still under construction) for the first time that seem to indicate two lanes all the way around...its gonna be fun times over the summer as i get to watch everyone around me try to figure it out together as they drive it. ideally the multiple lanes would relieve all the backup during rush hour mostly caused by those who treat yield signs as stop signs and are too timid to pull out in front of an approaching car 100 ft away. with the way it is now it must be total bedlam around 7-8am during the week with the mass confusion and conflict between everybody's own interpretation regarding how to correctly negotiate the redesigned rotary. theres an awesome smoked hot dog stand adjacent to the 129 rotary and the offramp from 128N where hearing horns honking, yelling, and near-misses has always been part of the scenery/entertainment ...now I definitely think ill stop by over the weekend and eat a linguica while watching the assholes attempt to drive around it (or even attempt to enter it) without crashing into one another while facechatting on their mobile device.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Uthor posted:

Do we ever!

Doesn't help. I think there's so much poo poo now that people have to stop to read and comprehend all the loving signs.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The sign so nice they posted it twice:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7129686,-112.1128218,3a,75y,300.15h,83.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soO7f8_a82X0drxWKuhy9aw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Mariana Horchata posted:

my local rotary in Massachusetts just got a similar make-over getting expanded, repaved, most importantly with new lane markings added (but no additional signage as of yet since its still under construction) for the first time that seem to indicate two lanes all the way around...its gonna be fun times over the summer as i get to watch everyone around me try to figure it out together as they drive it. ideally the multiple lanes would relieve all the backup during rush hour mostly caused by those who treat yield signs as stop signs and are too timid to pull out in front of an approaching car 100 ft away. with the way it is now it must be total bedlam around 7-8am during the week with the mass confusion and conflict between everybody's own interpretation regarding how to correctly negotiate the redesigned rotary. theres an awesome smoked hot dog stand adjacent to the 129 rotary and the offramp from 128N where hearing horns honking, yelling, and near-misses has always been part of the scenery/entertainment ...now I definitely think ill stop by over the weekend and eat a linguica while watching the assholes attempt to drive around it (or even attempt to enter it) without crashing into one another while facechatting on their mobile device.

You better be talking about Freds Franks. Super schnurble is love, super schnurble is life. My crew from work occasionally goes there for lunch.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mariana Horchata posted:

oh yeah guilty as charged...and the Fiesta ST is such a great car for pulling off this little trick too especially when its somebody tailgating you or trying to show off their vehicular superiority (and trucks are the best prey of course for obvious reasons) since 95% of those on the road see it as just another subcompact econobox (unlike say a Miata or FR-S which of course look like sports cars)...until you have an opening and you suddenly come to life and proceed to smoke an offramp like a 911 and they well idk because they usually arent there anymore. Much more fun than anything i could possibly be doing on my phone imho...

I stopped doing that years ago when the guy trying to keep up with me crashed.

I, being a lazy bastard, would often times not bother taking the R-comp tires off my car (99 Mustang Cobra) when I had an autocross (since I had a company car to drive too). One day I was driving down HWY 89 on the east side of Glacier Park in Montana when some dude in a slightly raised older GMC pickup (older in 2000 when this happened) didn't think I was going fast enough (in a nice straight stretch where I was just cruising along enjoying myself) so he passed me and then promptly slowed down, presumably to annoy me. There is a passing lane just before the road goes into mega-curvy section, where I really liked to enjoy my drive, so I passed him. He did his best to prevent this by flooring it of course.

Into the curves, I was just having a wonderful time, but noticed that pickup-man was doing his damnedest to keep up with me, and while I was staying in my lane, he was all over the road, clearly driving way beyond his or the vehicles ability (probably both). I thought this was pretty drat funny, since I wasn't having any problems at all, so I made sure not to take off and get out of his sight. This was incredibly entertaining, right up until he put the right side tires into the gravel, went sideways, caught a rock, and rolled it.

I've done my best since then to not drive in a way that I have a reasonably good idea will goad another driver into trying to exceed his/her ability or car's ability in corners, even though I fully admit that it can be a great deal of fun.

Also, driving on the highway with R-comps is a really good way to get rear-ended if you get into the ABS while braking and some retard in an SUV is following too close. They are however, really nice to have if you come around a corner and see a grizzly bear in middle of your lane so have to do an emergency lane change at speed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I hate that interchange, just because nobody in this area has the slightest loving clue how to deal with roundabouts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

I've done my best since then to not drive in a way that I have a reasonably good idea will goad another driver into trying to exceed his/her ability or car's ability in corners, even though I fully admit that it can be a great deal of fun.

Don't drive here. In the winter I routinely watch guys try to follow my car's line and speed despite not having studded winter tires or a clear view of the corner.

I probably couldn't go slow enough to keep some of those people out of the ditch, and I am definitely not a fast or skilled driver.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Don't drive here. In the winter I routinely watch guys try to follow my car's line and speed despite not having studded winter tires or a clear view of the corner.

I probably couldn't go slow enough to keep some of those people out of the ditch, and I am definitely not a fast or skilled driver.

Well, that's a little different than what I was talking about. Just driving at your own comfortable speed is fine and dandy, and I do it all the time.

In my example, I could have easily gotten enough separation that he couldn't even see me, long before he wrecked, but I chose not to because his trying to keep up with me was entertaining to me. If I could do that sequence over again, I'd have just taken off and left him. In theory he'd have backed off and not wrecked, although it's possible he still would have. I just choose not to play the cloverleaf exit game with people where I'm intentionally trying to see if they'll follow my speed when I'm pretty sure their car isn't capable of it.

I'm probably just really bad at explaining what I mean.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Locator posted:

I hate that interchange, just because nobody in this area has the slightest loving clue how to deal with roundabouts.

I have a theory that who ever put a dumbbell interchange there just wanted to demonstrate what happens when it breaks down due to idiots.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

carry on then posted:

I have a theory that who ever put a dumbbell interchange there just wanted to demonstrate what happens when it breaks down due to idiots.

The traffic engineering equivalent of "Hold my beer and watch this!".

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Any lesson where the guy doesn't die/ruin their life is a lesson well taught. We drat well know that nature isn't nearly as forgiving as people are.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Uber/Lyft drivers are the absolute worse drivers out there. Yes, please, come to a stop at both of these green lights.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

The Locator posted:

Well, that's a little different than what I was talking about. Just driving at your own comfortable speed is fine and dandy, and I do it all the time.

In my example, I could have easily gotten enough separation that he couldn't even see me, long before he wrecked, but I chose not to because his trying to keep up with me was entertaining to me. If I could do that sequence over again, I'd have just taken off and left him. In theory he'd have backed off and not wrecked, although it's possible he still would have. I just choose not to play the cloverleaf exit game with people where I'm intentionally trying to see if they'll follow my speed when I'm pretty sure their car isn't capable of it.

I'm probably just really bad at explaining what I mean.

I wouldn't feel bad about this. It's their fault for letting their egos goad them into doing stupid poo poo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Uber/Lyft drivers are the absolute worse drivers out there. Yes, please, come to a stop at both of these green lights.

I had a lyft driver in Portland go down a one way, drove off a curb going about 20 and then tried to drop me off about a block away because he didn't want to have to loop around due to the one way.

They did give me a refund though.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Some 600 pound rear end in a top hat is laying on the horn because I won't vacate my Primo parking spot.

I was sitting here because I was responding to an urgent text from a co-worker. Now, I'm sitting here making this post because it is really fun to annoy fat fucks.

Also, this wheel is something you share the road with.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

nitrogen posted:

Some 600 pound rear end in a top hat is laying on the horn because I won't vacate my Primo parking spot.

I was sitting here because I was responding to an urgent text from a co-worker. Now, I'm sitting here making this post because it is really fun to annoy fat fucks.

I don't mind someone creeping their car 3 feet behind me all the way to my parking spot, but jesus christ back the gently caress off when I get there. You're not gonna get my spot if you won't give me any room to get out of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

nitrogen posted:

Also, this wheel is something you share the road with.

Just get back out of the car and walk to somewhere else and see what happens.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I put the trans in reverse to turn on the lights, then turn the engine off and chill.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
As I was leaving church, a woman eating a popsicle with one hand barreled her SUV in through the exit only and down the wrong way through the parking lot after briefly swerving out of the way to avoid hitting me.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had to yell at my Dad about reversing down an onramp to avoid a traffic jam again today. The guy is only in his early 60s. I fear for his safety and that of those around him when he gets really old. I might legitimately need to steal his license because he is a stubborn cuss and thinks he is always a safe driver.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Bovril Delight posted:

I had a lyft driver in Portland go down a one way, drove off a curb going about 20 and then tried to drop me off about a block away because he didn't want to have to loop around due to the one way.

They did give me a refund though.

I live in Portland. This is 100% accurate.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
This regularion size drain nightmare in a busy parkinglot which happens to be in the most immigrant packed part of town

Making me wish we shared the roads with the people responsible for not getting it taken care of in over two years since the first report

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

MrLonghair posted:

This regularion size drain nightmare in a busy parkinglot which happens to be in the most immigrant packed part of town

Making me wish we shared the roads with the people responsible for not getting it taken care of in over two years since the first report

Oh hey, you live in West Michigan as well? :allears:

I kid, I have no idea where you live, but that poo poo is all over West Michigan.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

MrLonghair posted:

I don't get the correlation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

I don't get the correlation?

I'm guessing they aren't fixing it because the neighborhood is predominantly immigrant.