Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GulagDolls posted:

i am Gundam.

Well I'm GM

EDIT: GM Sniper:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So in things unrelated to the literal crazy person who sees fascism in anything:

https://twitter.com/GwynCampbell/status/736005564740706304

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

We can at least all agree that while it's not perfect by any means, Alia in GBF gets the best Cyber-Newtype plot arc so far, right?

Probably, but I'm still pretty sure Allenby did better than the average.

She won fights, and she didn't die. Good for her.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Challia Bull still doesn't have a Manga yet.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So in things unrelated to the literal crazy person who sees fascism in anything:

I don't know, but I wouldn't mind a #manga about the #adventures of #RanGarrod and #ParaSys

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Challia Bull still doesn't have a Manga yet.

His badass Origin fight might as well be his.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ImpAtom posted:

His badass Origin fight might as well be his.

Oh cool, happy Origin gave him a chance to shine.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He has a pretty good short in Evolve too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I believe Paolo Cassius (aka, White Base's original captain) also does not have his own manga spin-off yet.

Unless Origin also takes care of that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Is that the guy from the island with the orphans?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ethiser posted:

Is that the guy from the island with the orphans?
Yes, the titular Doan from the infamous Doan's Island episode is getting a spin-off.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope he gets a custom Zaku 1 and destroys a new Test Type Ground Gundam.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Finally , cucuruz doan is getting the recognition and extended background he deserved.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Maybe his episode will get an HD remastered release too! Or any release at all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's neither as bad as tomino feels or really constructive to the series as a whole.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

it's neither as bad as tomino feels or really constructive to the series as a whole.

It looks really bad even compared to the rest of the show, but the plot of the episode is fine.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think when you're in as deep as most of us in this thread that adds to the charm of it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

AradoBalanga posted:

I believe Paolo Cassius (aka, White Base's original captain) also does not have his own manga spin-off yet.

Unless Origin also takes care of that.

Origin gives Paolo more than the series did but he's still mostly a background character.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

muike posted:

I think when you're in as deep as most of us in this thread that adds to the charm of it.
It's silly and doesn't make a lot of sense but I love Doan's Island. It's like proto-G Gundam.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Ka0 posted:

I don't know, but I wouldn't mind a #manga about the #adventures of #RanGarrod and #ParaSys

Me too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm looking forward to when the Origin OVAs get to M'Quve, because he's one of the better changes in the manga.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm looking forward to when the Origin OVAs get to M'Quve, because he's one of the better changes in the manga.

I've just finished his part in the manga, but I haven't been able to see the original show yet for comparison. How's his bit go there?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sorry to go back to this again but it's been bugging me so much I haven't been able to sleep: I think one of the reasons Marida's death bugs me so much is because she had been one of the most well executed character so far. Thinking about it, she actually got lucky because she had 90% of a well-executed story, while most other characters got way less than that. Riddhe's arc is really cool on paper, but the execution is pretty botched. Banagher's friend are pretty badly handled, especially Micott. Loni is just terrible from start to finish. And Full Frontal is just there for most of the OVA, with only one really interesting in the penultimate episode that never really gets followed upon (when his mask breaks and you see the crazy guy underneath for a second). Audrey's ok, I guess.

But the worst handled, and my new take for worst handled character in the story, is Banagher. His character is pretty much nonexistent. He gets a few character moment through the OVAs, but they never gel into a complete character: he ends up an empty bottle with a few generic Gundam MC tropes floating around in it, not enough to make up a full personality. Let's compare him to other Gundam MCs: Amuro, Kamille, Judeau and the others all get character establishing moments in the early episodes, setting up who they are at the start of the story. You get a feel for them and then you get to see how the story changes them. You see them interact with their friends, family, setting, etc. before poo poo hits the fan. You get a feeling of how they would exist outside the story you see, of who they are. This is true not just of the guys who get full series, but even of the OVA characters like Al and Bernie. Even Seabook, who's show got butchered into a Frankenstein's Movie, gets something of a basic character. Hell, even Kira from Gundam SeeD, lord Bland himself, gets his character establishing moments at the start. But Banagher gets nothing. Our first scene with him, he's staring blankly into space and then he rescues Audrey and the plot grabs him. Throughout the series he never really gets moments like the other MCs to establish who he is. He functionally doesn't exist outside the events of the plot. you get no feel for how he'd interact with people or live his life. gently caress, his friends are minor characters present throughout the story and he ALMOST NEVER INTERACTS WITH THEM! Think about that for a second!

This is why Banagher can't think of anything better than "Even So" at the end: he's as empty as Full Frontal.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Banagher is potential. Which is a fancy way of saying "maybe you'll be worth talking about someday, crystal kid."

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Full Frontal explicitly compares himself to Banagher. They are both just vessels that contain an ideal and nothing more, and a large part of the final confrontation is how Banagher was able to be the better vessel because he honestly believed in what he held while Full Frontal kind of just went with what people entrusted him with. FF gave up, Banagher never did.

Now if you want to argue that's boring as gently caress then sure, but for what his character was supposed to be Banagher was handled well enough.

Anyways I was told that instead of an OVA, BF Try is getting another season? I have no idea if that's true or not but if it is then man. Maaaaaaan.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I've just finished his part in the manga, but I haven't been able to see the original show yet for comparison. How's his bit go there?

In First Gundam, he's a selfish coward and a boot-licker who constantly sucks up to Kycilia, is largely responsible for Ramba Ral failing to stop White Base and dying (by stealing the supplies intended for Ral for his own use, including the Doms), and actively attempts to nuke the Federation forces at Odessa (which only fails because Amuro beam sabers the nuke out of the air). He survives and flees back into orbit. During the Battle of Solomon, he refuses to take on the Solomon escape capsules until his men practically threaten to mutiny. He eventually dies fighting the Gundam in his Gyan near the end of the war (while lamenting that his prized vase never made it to Kycilia), after his plan to lure it into a trap and blow it up fails.

In The Origin, he refuses to obey Kycilia's order to nuke the Federation forces because he doesn't want to damage the Earth, then sorties on his own in the Gyan to buy time for his men to withdraw, eventually detonating the Gyan in order to destroy as many Federation anti-air ships as possible. He comes across as a capable if aristocratic officer who fights for his side because it's his job, without buying in to the Zabis' fanatical beliefs.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 27, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Anyways I was told that instead of an OVA, BF Try is getting another season? I have no idea if that's true or not but if it is then man. Maaaaaaan.

Build Fighters Try Again

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

BlitzBlast posted:

... Maybe it'll be good.

Maybe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sorry to go back to this again but it's been bugging me so much I haven't been able to sleep: I think one of the reasons Marida's death bugs me so much is because she had been one of the most well executed character so far. Thinking about it, she actually got lucky because she had 90% of a well-executed story, while most other characters got way less than that. Riddhe's arc is really cool on paper, but the execution is pretty botched. Banagher's friend are pretty badly handled, especially Micott. Loni is just terrible from start to finish. And Full Frontal is just there for most of the OVA, with only one really interesting in the penultimate episode that never really gets followed upon (when his mask breaks and you see the crazy guy underneath for a second). Audrey's ok, I guess.

But the worst handled, and my new take for worst handled character in the story, is Banagher. His character is pretty much nonexistent. He gets a few character moment through the OVAs, but they never gel into a complete character: he ends up an empty bottle with a few generic Gundam MC tropes floating around in it, not enough to make up a full personality. Let's compare him to other Gundam MCs: Amuro, Kamille, Judeau and the others all get character establishing moments in the early episodes, setting up who they are at the start of the story. You get a feel for them and then you get to see how the story changes them. You see them interact with their friends, family, setting, etc. before poo poo hits the fan. You get a feeling of how they would exist outside the story you see, of who they are. This is true not just of the guys who get full series, but even of the OVA characters like Al and Bernie. Even Seabook, who's show got butchered into a Frankenstein's Movie, gets something of a basic character. Hell, even Kira from Gundam SeeD, lord Bland himself, gets his character establishing moments at the start. But Banagher gets nothing. Our first scene with him, he's staring blankly into space and then he rescues Audrey and the plot grabs him. Throughout the series he never really gets moments like the other MCs to establish who he is. He functionally doesn't exist outside the events of the plot. you get no feel for how he'd interact with people or live his life. gently caress, his friends are minor characters present throughout the story and he ALMOST NEVER INTERACTS WITH THEM! Think about that for a second!

This is why Banagher can't think of anything better than "Even So" at the end: he's as empty as Full Frontal.

even so

Caros
May 14, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Build Fighters Try Again

:golfclap:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I really like unicorn because it takes the Gundam stories we all know and ups the melodrama. It almost turns the traditional Gundam story into mythical legend which would make alot of sense considering the ova is called unicorn, and they are searching for a mystical box. I tend to really like melodramatic stories though, and I still think episode 4 is a highmark of anime.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Wait, what? :cripes:

Because of the timeskip after the last one, it means they'll be back to aiming for the Nationals again won't it? :sigh:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If the series has to continue I'd rather see a tv series anyways. An ova seems like it'd be ripe for repeating the same pitfalls

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm speaking theoretically tho since I think the only way I'd watch more is if different staff take over

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

In First Gundam, he's a selfish coward and a boot-licker who constantly sucks up to Kycilia, is largely responsible for Ramba Ral failing to stop White Base and dying (by stealing the supplies intended for Ral for his own use, including the Doms), and actively attempts to nuke the Federation forces at Odessa (which only fails because Amuro beam sabers the nuke out of the air). He survives and flees back into orbit. During the Battle of Solomon, he refuses to take on the Solomon escape capsules until his men practically threaten to mutiny. He eventually dies fighting the Gundam in his Gyan near the end of the war (while lamenting that his prized vase never made it to Kycilia), after his plan to lure it into a trap and blow it up fails.

In The Origin, he refuses to obey Kycilia's order to nuke the Federation forces because he doesn't want to damage the Earth, then sorties on his own in the Gyan to buy time for his men to withdraw, eventually detonating the Gyan in order to destroy as many Federation anti-air ships as possible. He comes across as a capable if aristocratic officer who fights for his side because it's his job, without buying in to the Zabis' fanatical beliefs.

Well, he did try to nuke the Feddies. Just he refused orders to go beyond "Nuke the active combat ships" (Which Amuro stopped) to "Well, we've lost. gently caress EVERYTHING" because he loved Earth's culture. Which was a big thing for him in the manga. He felt like Earth's history was much more important than the current war.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

*crumbles away*

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What would be the best analogy for zeon suits to ww2 German armour? I'd say the zaku ii is closest to the stug iii and iv

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

I'm speaking theoretically tho since I think the only way I'd watch more is if different staff take over

The original director coming back and the staff getting generous prep-time would probably iron out a lot of the wrinkles we ended up seeing in Try. Most of its flaws came from being a rushed, half-cooked project with a leader who didn't successfully make the jump from writer to director.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All the arguments about Unicorn got me thinking: What is the unanimous best gundam show, and why is it G-Savior?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Shinjobi posted:

All the arguments about Unicorn got me thinking: What is the unanimous best gundam show?

Build Fighters.