Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm definitely getting Tiamat, the latest update today has a painted picture of it. Just can't resist! I'm curious about the painting DVD as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Really, I'd advise you to pass on it. You already have a big gribbly you admit you haven't done anything with, so you can pretty much guess the trajectory on this one too. Especially if you are trying to keep your cost down, you can either spend that $60 on that enormous dragon.... or you could get the base set (30 miniatures, I think?) or get one the regular dragons and the one of the other expansions, or four other small dragons, or... you get the idea. I think its an amazing miniature, but I know that I can get the same outcome by putting a large box in my closet and pretending it's actually in there. Instead I'm blowing my budget on a whole bunch of smaller miniatures that I might actually paint and use.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or you can do what I do: triple your budget, spend it all on the smaller and medium sized minis, and then never paint any of them!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The not-Tiamat is the main reason I pledged, no way I wasn't getting that.

Sure I could spend $60 on a bunch of other guys, but then I'd just have even more minis sitting around waiting to be painted instead of just 1...

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Ashcans posted:

Really, I'd advise you to pass on it. You already have a big gribbly you admit you haven't done anything with, so you can pretty much guess the trajectory on this one too. Especially if you are trying to keep your cost down, you can either spend that $60 on that enormous dragon.... or you could get the base set (30 miniatures, I think?) or get one the regular dragons and the one of the other expansions, or four other small dragons, or... you get the idea. I think its an amazing miniature, but I know that I can get the same outcome by putting a large box in my closet and pretending it's actually in there. Instead I'm blowing my budget on a whole bunch of smaller miniatures that I might actually paint and use.

Yeah that's pretty much my guiding principle here. I'd rather have a bunch of attainable-to-paint stuff than one big dream project I'll never do.

It's a bit sad to think about but I'm sure I can buy it down the road if I ever do get a wild hair up by rear end about painting something large.

Leperflesh posted:

Or you can do what I do: triple your budget, spend it all on the smaller and medium sized minis, and then never paint any of them!

Like I said before, my rates are very reasonable. :whatup:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Like I said before, my rates are very reasonable. :whatup:

How much do you charge, to give me the sense of fulfillment and accomplishment and pride of ownership of having painted all my own minis? Also please throw in an estimate for satisfying my powerful nostalgia for a youth spent playing tabletop minis games that never actually happened, but which I wished had been happening when I was a teenager? Lastly, please provide a summary of charges for having people I respect come over to my place and lavish me with peer approval in recognition of my unparalleled and highly valued miniature painting skills?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

How much do you charge, to give me the sense of fulfillment and accomplishment and pride of ownership of having painted all my own minis? Also please throw in an estimate for satisfying my powerful nostalgia for a youth spent playing tabletop minis games that never actually happened, but which I wished had been happening when I was a teenager? Lastly, please provide a summary of charges for having people I respect come over to my place and lavish me with peer approval in recognition of my unparalleled and highly valued miniature painting skills?

About :10bux: and a bottle of Dad's Old Fashioned root beer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well that's a bargain! Sign me the gently caress up.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I got not-Tiamat.

gently caress knows whether I will ever get round to painting it though, I would need an airbrush to even consider it.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
If we're talking about the painted not-Tiamat, you've got to post the pictures:

thespaceinvader posted:

I got not-Tiamat.

gently caress knows whether I will ever get round to painting it though, I would need an airbrush to even consider it.

I plan on getting a new compressor soon after this should arrive, get some practice in with mine and give it a go. One hell of a project no matter how you look at it.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

If I had painted dragons don't share then I would have picked up not tiamat. Instead I pledged $60 and picked up God knows what. It'll be a surprise whenever it arrives.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Have they said what the actual retail price of Tiamat will be?

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Have they said what the actual retail price of Tiamat will be?

Nothing has been mentioned yet, but Kaladrax from Bones 1 has a $75 price tag for comparison.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is the pledge manager showing screwy order counts for anyone else? Example:

The pledge manager shows this:

Note: "You have 2"...but if I click on that to view the actual invoice:

Which is the actual correct value. I would just ignore it and trust the invoice, but if I want to add anything, this makes it sorta hard to see what I actually have.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Cross-posting since I'm reasonably not-embarrassed at how my oath for this month came out

quote:

Oath complete!

I'm pretty happy with the way the skin on this guy ended up coming out. Not so happy with the skirt and pteruges, at least from the front, but the model has reached the point at which I end up saying :effort: and calling it done so I can move on.

Challenge is the fact that he's obviously from a fantasy setting, wearing ye olde armor and wielding ye olde sword.

Also claiming Monster May-hem! for his status as a giant, and claiming an additional entry for the following scene I threw together with some of my Dragons Don't Share minis, showing off his physical presence relative to human-sized adventurers!

I really like Reaper's giants, they're good stuff. Pretty much perfect for Bones since it makes the big gribbly models affordable and the big size diminishes some of the drawbacks of the material (which I think are often blown out of proportion, but even I'm not going to argue that I'd rather have metal or hard plastic if I'm worried about crisp detail on a human-scale model).

Of course, I only got his sword to be reasonably straight by drilling a hole through part of the handle and blade and inserting a metal rod. :shepface:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I'm planning on painting Nethyrmaul for this month's oath thread. I've base coated it using my usual black spray paint, and I'm hoping the Bones material will play nicely with it.

I want to use black-purple-greens - a sort of Maleficent-inspired colour scheme.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Went and finalized my order.

quote:

Kyra and Lavarath x1
Undying Lords x1
Titans of the Tide x1
Fire Giant Jailor x1
Fire Giant Warrior & Bodyguard x1
Mr & Mrs Bones x1
Armory of the Grave x3
Graveyard Expansion x1
Kyphrixis x1
Armory of Vice x1

It's a little more than I intended to spend ($120) but I grabbed all the stuff that I both wanted, and figured I'd actually paint at some point.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Slimnoid posted:

Undying Lords x1
Graveyard Expansion x1
Kyphrixis x1

Sup pledge choice buddy :hfive:

I ended up at about that amount too, I also got the Mystic Circle, Mythic Expansion, and Townsfolk group.

Less than a week to lock in pledges!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I made a fairly basic pledge.

2015 Core Set x10
StoneSkull Expansion x10
Frost Giant Warriors x1
Blackstar Corsairs x6
Paint Set A x1
Crusaders x1
Kyra and Lavarath x5
Paint Set B x1
Undying Lords x1
Space Mouslings x2
Goremaw x2
Ma'aldrakar, Dragon Tyrant x1
Savage Avatars x1
Frost Giant King & Queen x1
Fire Giant Jailor x1
Fire Giant King & Queen x1
Purple Weapons x1
Armory of Virtue x5
Armory of the Grave x5
Sophie x7

Going to sell 9 each of the core sets/expansions for a bit more than I paid, and that should wind up covering everything I bought for myself with little problem.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I waited too long to lock in my token dollar pledge, and cannot participate in any reindeer games. :smith:

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Just finalised my order:

Core Set
Blackstar Corsairs
Paint Set A
Paint Set B
Undead Bonesylvanians
ShubNiggurath
Horror Bonesylvanians
Undying Lords
Dwarf King's Companions
Sledgehammer
Mouslings
Mythical Monsters
Titans of the Tide
Space Mouslings
Goremaw
Dagon
Savage Avatars
Savage Avatars II
StoneSkull Expansion
Mythos Expansion
Graveyard Expansion

Can't wait to be buried under a mountain of bonesium :woop:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Otisburg posted:

I waited too long to lock in my token dollar pledge, and cannot participate in any reindeer games. :smith:

Even if you only pledged a dollar on the original KS, you should still be able to add stuff now. Unless you mean you didn't actually get to making the token pledge at all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I sure hope reaper stops doing these kickstarters soon!

2015 Core Set x1
Frost Giant Warriors x1
Paint Set A x1
Crusaders x2
Paint Set B x1
Ogre Command x1
Undying Lords x1
Air Elementals x2
Cemetery Fences x3
Titans of the Tide x1
Froghemoth x1
Goremaw x1
Ma'aldrakar, Dragon Tyrant x1
Dagon x1
Savage Avatars x1
Frost Giant King & Queen x1
Solar, Angel x1
Fire Giant Jailor x1
Clear, Red, Blue, Green, & Purple Weapons x1
Invisible Heroes x1
StoneSkull Expansion x1
Graveyard Expansion x1
Dwarf King's Companions x1
Fire Giant King & Queen x1
Town Extras x1
Statue of Dagon x1
Mystic Circle x1

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I think I went more modest than a lot of you, though in my mind I still spent waaay too much money:

Core set
Creepin' Crawlings
Stoneskull Expansion
Mythos Expansion
Graveyard Expansion
Frost Giant Warriors
Paint Set A
Paint Set B
Mouslings
Mystic Circle
Undead Lords
Kyphrixis
ShubNiggurath
Ogre Command
Ma'aldrakar

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Frost Giant Warriors
Kyra and Lavarath
Paint Set B
Undying Lords
Mouslings
Goremaw
Frost Giant King & Queen
Solar, Angel
Fire Giant Jailor
Ogres
Sophie
Mystic Circle
Dwarf King's Companions
Townsfolk
Graveyard Expansion

$185, not too bad. I tossed in the last four line items on a whim, and based on some goon input.

E: I got it sorted. The pledge manager had a bunch of stuff I already paid for selected so I still had a balance owing. I unchecked the You have: 1 stuff and it was all good.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 26, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

If you go to the pledge manager, in the top right of the page (where it has Account Details and Logout) there should be a link for Completed Orders. This will show you what you have already finalized in an order and how it was paid for. If something isn't showing up there, then you may not have completed the order properly.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ashcans posted:

Even if you only pledged a dollar on the original KS, you should still be able to add stuff now. Unless you mean you didn't actually get to making the token pledge at all.

Also you can go and add yourself to the pledge manager, you just have to pay a bit more than KS backers do

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I'm really fighting not to tack on a graveyard and mythos expansion.

Edit:

Anyone got any tips on actually powering through and painting a huge pile of reaper bones btw? I asked in the mini painting thread and didn't get a huge amount of engagement. I figure I need to get the process down to less than 15 minutes a model to leave time for the larger pieces.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 27, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I find it helps to lump together stuff that is roughly the same and do it assembly-line. So if you get a bunch of lizardmen, paint them all at the same time - basecoats, then clothing, then details, etc. That really helps me move through stuff rather than doing them individually.

Other than that, you can work on finding painting methods that are more time efficient. If you work with drybrushing or lots of washes you can get a pretty good quick paintjob on many figure that is faster than doing regular painting and highlighting.

And of course, you can also compromise on quality. There is a definite diminishing return for most people on painting time. Maybe you can get 90% of your top level job in only half the time, and that's probably fine for most bones.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Edit:

Anyone got any tips on actually powering through and painting a huge pile of reaper bones btw? I asked in the mini painting thread and didn't get a huge amount of engagement. I figure I need to get the process down to less than 15 minutes a model to leave time for the larger pieces.

I've just painted a couple of bones figures from the 'learn to paint' set and found if you block them out with base colours then do a wash and drybrush to pick out details it doesn't take that long to paint each figure. I imagine a skilled painter could do a tabletop-standard paintjob in 15-20 minutes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Edit:

I did a big assembly line the night before a Frostgrave demo to a decent tabletop standard by priming the primary color their stuff was going to be, detailing, light drybrushing, and picking out flesh etc, and dipping in that Army Painter dip stuff. A lot of it was bones.

It's not going to be display quality but for a single night's work to complete three full warbands and a bunch of treasure tokens, plus some scenic bases, I'm pretty pleased:

More pics here:
http://imgur.com/a/4Thu8

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 27, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Edit:

Have a reason to use them. Seriously, I basically gave up painting when we stopped our D&D campaign, and only restarted when I picked up x-wing.

I may well never get round to painting my Bones which would be a shame :(

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

I may well never get round to painting my Bones which would be a shame :(

Just paint up models for the heck of it. It'll keep your skills sharp and prevent you from falling out of practice.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

After getting today's email I might have to pry my wallet open far enough to include a graveyard set :ohdear:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Crusaders ($8)x2
Undying Lords ($8) x1
Mythical Monsters ($12) x1
Titans of the Tide ($12) x1
Goremaw ($15) x1
Frost Giant King & Queen ($12) x1
Fire Giant Jailor ($6) x1
Savage Worlds ($8) x1
Lycanthropes I ($5) x1
Lycanthropes 2 ($5) x1
Townsfolk ($7) x1
Heroes II ($5) x1
Wild West OZ ($9) x1
Creepin' Lizards ($5) x1
Dwarves ($5) x1
StoneSkull Expansion ($50) x1

:mrbonesgetin:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Finally put Cthulu on the table last week as a de-leveled Star-Spawn. The players loved the poo poo out of it.
https://goo.gl/photos/NDHtxM2bYXunh4K96

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

The crypt looks bigger than I expected. I want it but the graveyard expansion would cost $82aud :( I already got burnt by forgetting the prices were in usd and locking in more than I should have.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Latest update vindicates my decision to get the graveyard expansion. I didn't expect the crypt to be in styrene, but that's really cool. I am definitely going to keep it as modular as possible.

Opening door!

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Crossposting from the Oath Thread - a Storm Giant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

JerryLee posted:

After getting today's email I might have to pry my wallet open far enough to include a graveyard set :ohdear:

Did the math and I actually cannot drop an extra $50 right now. Oh well, the reason I can't do it is because I splurged on a graphics card last month and I don't regret that!

The chief thing I wanted from the graveyard set was the chapel and maybe a few others of the scenic bits, so hopefully I can pick those up for under the $50 mark when it hits retail. Really, not having a bunch of other random ghosts and poo poo that I don't actively want added to my minis pile is as much of an upside as anything.

...Or so I'll tell myself to help me sleep better at night :smith:

• Locked thread