Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Australia to Canada: Help us with our refugee crisis!

Canada to Australia: Have you tried not being so racist and letting them in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Completely predicable response, sadly.

I like the guy who is now studying to be a human rights lawyer to help get people out of Nauru. Australia, nascent pariah state.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Scott Morrison just described the removal of Negative Gearing as "Retarding the Economy" at this debate.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anidav posted:

Scott Morrison just described the removal of Negative Gearing as "Retarding the Economy" at this debate.

Just because you've only heard the word used in one context does not mean it has no other uses.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I dunno, didn't sound professional. skewing would've been a better term.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tommofork posted:

Just because you've only heard the word used in one context does not mean it has no other uses.

Lmao at this bundle of sticks

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Tommofork posted:

I guess you call LGBTIQ people "homosexuals"?

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Anidav posted:

This is significant because?

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Anidav posted:

yeah dog i've installed retarders on a bunch of poo poo, you understand the word "retarding" has like, a use outside of a slur, right?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Has everyone bought their Ricky Muir hoodie?

http://www.senateteamricky.org/merchandise.html

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

Recoome posted:

I guess you call LGBTIQ people "homosexuals"?

who are you

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Bill Posters posted:

Has everyone bought their Ricky Muir hoodie?

http://www.senateteamricky.org/merchandise.html

Right, so the man who was elected as the member for burnouts and throwing kangaroo poo poo at people now has the support of Victorian vinyards.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Zenithe posted:

Right, so the man who was elected as the member for burnouts and throwing kangaroo poo poo at people now has the support of Victorian vinyards.

Yet somehow he is still a better person than most of the politicians

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

You Am I posted:

Yet somehow he is still a better person than most of the politicians

So's the kangaroo poo poo.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

nope you see the words that i use have 0% stigma attached to them because

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

So the word retard should be erased from the language instead of being used correctly?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Freudian Slip posted:

As a health researcher this scares the poo poo out of me. For decades we have been warned about antibiotic resistant bacteria, but we kept overusing them particularly in factory farming to cut costs. Thanks antibiotics! It was nice having you for the past 70 years!

http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-superbug-that-could-render-antibiotics-useless-just-hit-the-us-20160526-gp4yl3.html

The other issue is that we are not spending anywhere near enough money on looking for new antibiotics or alternatives. That's because antibiotics are cheap - so there is little money to be made in discovering a new one, so most of the research is being done by the public sector.

Just think of the swathes of elderly and infirm boomers it will cut through

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

gay picnic defence posted:

Just think of the swathes of elderly and infirm boomers it will cut through

keep going, i'm so close

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Tommofork posted:

So the word retard should be erased from the language instead of being used correctly?

Look at this idiot who thinks words have inherent meaning that never changes

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
From my limited knowledge of the area we now have drug resistant

TB
Gonorrhea (Sorry SOAG)
Urinary tract infections

We are going to get to the point where going to hospital will be risky again.

I have one quite intelligent friend who still won't listen when they insist they need antibiotic for a viral infection (eg. common cold).

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

keep going, i'm so close

Can you imagine the various spokespeople for the old people lobby groups expressing their disgust at the lack of research funding for new antibiotics government intervention to prop up the value of their investment properties as the deceased estates are carved up and put onto a flooded market?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Freudian Slip posted:

From my limited knowledge of the area we now have drug resistant

TB
Gonorrhea (Sorry SOAG)
Urinary tract infections

I have one quite intelligent friend who still won't listen when they insist they need antibiotic for a viral infection (eg. common cold).

I wonder if any new antibiotics will be regulated so you can only receive them while in hospital to prevent people from taking them for viruses or whatever.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I heard this really interesting radio presentation awhile ago on Bacteriophages as an alternative to when antibiotics stop being effective. Convincing people to ingest viruses for their own good I imagine will be quite the task, but maybe not when people are dying from what was once commonly treatable illnesses.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Zenithe posted:

I heard this really interesting radio presentation awhile ago on Bacteriophages as an alternative to when antibiotics stop being effective. Convincing people to ingest viruses for their own good I imagine will be quite the task, but maybe not when people are dying from what was once commonly treatable illnesses.

It'll just be a pill with freeze dried viruses or something though, it's not like they'll be asked to drink a cup of cloudy brown muck with a bio hazard sign on it.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Freudian Slip posted:

It's already risky, there's been recurring golden staph infections sweeping through Australian hospitals but it doesn't get much media airtime. My local hospital has had several but they think they've improved their procedures lately to prevent it recurring, which to me is pretty much crossing fingers. Ultimately you can't do anything about someone walking in with a resistant bacteria and spreading it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Zenithe posted:

I'd never eat bacteria no matter how healthy it is for me, that's just disgusting.

*jams more yogurt in my gob*

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Zenithe posted:

Holy gently caress the antivaxxers are going to have a field day with that (and then die of basic chest infections)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

gay picnic defence posted:

It'll just be a pill with freeze dried viruses or something though, it's not like they'll be asked to drink a cup of cloudy brown muck with a bio hazard sign on it.

From my experience (of this one radio presentation and the wikipedia I googled to double check before posting), you eat live viruses that specifically target whatever bacteria is causing the main problem. So yeah, go home and eat these viruses, you'll be good in a few days mate.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Zenithe posted:

From my experience (of this one radio presentation and the wikipedia I googled to double check before posting), you eat live viruses that specifically target whatever bacteria is causing the main problem. So yeah, go home and eat these viruses, you'll be good in a few days mate.

Ah, the cane toad method (I'm sure it won't be as ill-informed as that, but then again maybe not with the TPP and money hungry pharmas)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

quote:

The British Foreign Office has performed more same-sex weddings in Australia than in any other country, according to figures provided to SBS by the British High Commission.

Out of 280 same-sex marriages performed in British embassies and high commissions around the world, 250 of them have occurred in Australia.

Alex Beatty from the High Commission said the figures weren't surprising given the relationship between the two countries. It's estimated 1.5 million Australians either have British citizenship or have family ties which make them eligible to apply.
http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sexuality/article/2016/05/23/uk-performing-hundreds-gay-weddings-australia

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Re: antibiotic resistance

welp i'm hosed then, it was nice knowing you all

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think I'd trust bacteria to run the Earth better than us, anyway.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I think I'd trust bacteria to run the Earth better than us, anyway.

Bacteria are responsible for the earth being inhabitable by us.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/origin-of-oxygen-in-atmosphere/

So, basically it's their fault anyway :colbert:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Zenithe posted:

Bacteria are responsible for the earth being inhabitable by us.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/origin-of-oxygen-in-atmosphere/

So, basically it's their fault anyway :colbert:

All that hard work wasted by a bunch of bipedal oxygen thieves.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Zenithe posted:

Hasn't Russia been trialing disinfecting their hospital wards with human poo poo, because it contains bacteriophages?

Brayds2006
Aug 21, 2011

GhostWhoVotes posted:

#ReachTEL Poll Federal 2 Party Preferred: L/NP 48 (-2) ALP 52 (+2) #ausvotes

:eyepop:

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Stop the phones.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Oh. Yeah. Cool, surprising, ahem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Hopefully we'll start seeing a few LNP back benchers making dumb gaffes and fuckups as the panic sets in.

• Locked thread