Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i don't know why the gently caress everyone in the brawl isn't playing reinhardt but they are bad and wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

I love games where every point is contested right down to the last pixel or second on the clock. It's so good. I don't even mind losing games like that.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Someone mentioned it last page, but my record eliminations was 31...with Lucio. We just had an insane Lijang match so I ended racking up assists and last hits. It was pretty dope.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Jeeze, a matter of days in and its already reached the point where level <10s are matched up against premade teams of level 40+.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Add me and I'll invite you to it. BostonZombie

friend invite sent!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i wish the game would let me know when i'm going up against premade groups, then I can just use the time to train Widow or something instead of actually trying

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

6 man soldier can be really fun.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Opining on maps, YMMV:

Very Good: Temple of Anubis, Watchpoint: Gibraltar, Ilios, Nepal

Good: King's Row, Hollywood

Terrible: Numbani

Anubis would be near-perfect if the first point was very slightly easier to defend. You occasionally end up with 8-9 minute defenses on Anubis B and it's a huge slog. Aside from that, both points on Anubis have multiple routes to them, plenty of side alleys to ambush or hide in, plenty of verticality, and don't feel palpably unfair for either team.

Gibraltar is just excellently balanced all around. Again with the strong verticality and plenty of vantage points for both teams that are at once easy to access and difficult to defend. My only gripe is that it's super favorable to snipers, and that defending is really annoying at a couple points thanks to sun-blindness.

Ilios and Nepal are just big with plenty of ways to get around and behind the enemy, with strong points that give the controlling team an advantage without making it overwhelming. The one exception here is Nepal: Shrine, the point's high ground and the extra long walk to the point (especially through particularly open terrain) makes it kind of snowbally.

Numbani is awful, IMO. It's super twisty, with loads of obstacles that block LOS, making it very difficult for long range heroes to do work here on attack. The final corner is a complete slaughter zone since it's so incredibly open yet forces the attackers to approach through two routes that are easily viewed and defended. I've very frequently had 5-6 minutes of utter futility on the final point on Numbani. It being so open means it's very, very difficult to round up all the defender for a final push to win. Playing on defense isn't much fun either since there's few access points and a whole bunch of dead ends so you end up throwing yourself directly against the spearpoint of the attacking push.

The rest of the maps are more or less balanced, with a few niggling issues. Lijiang Tower: Garden goes to overtime really often, despite being snowbally for the controlling team. Volskaya has the open area leading to B that becomes a shooting gallery. Dorado just feels off, I'm honestly not sure what I dislike about it, but it doesn't feel satisfying to push or to defend.

The maps are probably the best part of Overwatch. More maps please Blizzard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Where do you rank Volskaya?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Zzulu posted:

i wish the game would let me know when i'm going up against premade groups, then I can just use the time to train Widow or something instead of actually trying

That's the spirit

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

Where do you rank Volskaya?

It's average, like the other maps I didn't specifically mention. Volskaya B is an interesting puzzle to crack open. It's more accessible for attackers than Hanamura B, but defenders get a bigger advantage in the shooting yard leading up to Volskaya B that they don't get in Hanamura B since the yard leading up to the final zone is super blocked off by objects and buildings.

My big issue with Volskaya is that one hut immediately overlooking the A point where people love to hide turrets in. Sure, it's easily countered, but it usually ends up forcing a few hero swaps which ends up wasting a precious minute or two.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Radical posted:

i think the competitive pick rankings paint a pretty good picture of what the strongest picks are. most of the top half of the board are just generally strong heroes. most of the bottom half heroes in terms of picks are situational with a few being just bad.

none of this really matters because the majority of people playing this game probably are not long time fps players, though the majority of the heroes require little to no aiming and mostly just require you position yourself correctly, and you can pick mei or whatever and totally wreck people.

in the context of disorganized games i would say dva tends to be higher impact than winston, generally people that pick the monkey just jump in and feed.

According to this Mei is the worst hero tho

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
Getting a nomination for kills as mercy at the end of the round is always nice. Woe betide people who sit still and get headshot three times by her pistol.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Afraid of Audio posted:

mccree technically isnt

McCree is like the ultimate rear end in a top hat flanker with his ult charged, christ the number of times I've seen triple/quad kills when he makes his way up a perch.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Would definitely like to see more maps. Most wanted game mode in general is a Mann vs. Machine knockoff though. Give me upgradable weapons and abilities that would be downright ridiculous outside of such a mode. Make the reward.... HATS.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think Dorado is really fun and also probably has my favorite motif out of all of them. It gets bonus points for having the Futurama bells.

My least favorite map so far is probably Hanamura since it feels like the first point is way too hard to get into. I've had a few games there where the first push gets stopped and the offense just sits near the doorway and just tries to pick people off the rest of the round like it was 2fort or something.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's interesting to see the differences in opinion between pros vs. "casuals" (I dislike using that word, but can't think of a better option).

Mei being one of the best examples; reddit found her wickedly overpowered, but she's considered one of the worst heros by pros.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I made a spreadsheet listing DPSes and armour reduction percents. I used numbers off the wiki so if anything is incorrect or missing blame it on them (I couldn't list Symmetra's sentry for example since there's no ammo so I can't calculate damage per shot).

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

It's interesting to see the differences in opinion between pros vs. "casuals" (I dislike using that word, but can't think of a better option).

Mei being one of the best examples; reddit found her wickedly overpowered, but she's considered one of the worst heros by pros.

I'd wager a guess that it's because a tight knit team of people with great communication will almost never let a Mei pick them off one by one or catch the whole team off guard. Meanwhile McCree can stun and kill basically any character in the cast in one quick fan.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

that ranking includes people who switch to characters just to stall the cart at last, which happens quite often on a handful of maps for d.va since she gets to the point quickly and, well, stalls. basically no team runs her out of the gate or for any other reason im aware of

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Goetta posted:

I think Dorado is really fun and also probably has my favorite motif out of all of them. It gets bonus points for having the Futurama bells.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Mei and D.Va are both mediocre heroes who are really popular with the kind of players who j/o to videogame chars

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
I'm sorry if this has been covered, but this thread moves so fast I can't realistically keep up with it. Does anyone have good sites/location for character tips and strats? I feel like I'm constantly stressing out over the right picks or what to do on a given map.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
D'va is fantastic at killing Widow, Hanzo, Zen, Mercy, and sometimes Lucio. You can also harass Tracer folks and pressure them to disengage by negating their damage and chasing them down with your boost. Her ability to completely clear a cone of fire in front of her allows you to close on long range/medium range folks and chew them up. You're not really a tank, you play her like Winston, zoom at your chosen target, mulch them, then zoom back behind the lines to heal up and do it again. Other folks have said this already, but use her ult by boosting up and over the towards the enemy and bail, Get it high enough and people who don't notice you flying that high won't have enough time to find cover when it drops from the sky as the alert icon doesn't show vertical orientation. (terrible sentence)

Genji players just need to understand that when you kill someone with either the shift ability or shuriken, your shift ability resets. Generally If you see that you eliminated someone, your slash is up for use. His mobility and double jump are fantastic at confusing people in a fight.

Roadhog's secondary confuses a lot of people. The damage you do up close is poo poo compared to just using M1. Use M2 for medium range targets, it's akin to teleporting 5 or 6 meters in front of you and using M1, which is why a lot of people think the damage is inconstant. Someone already covered the combo's, so my advice (if you have a mouse that has a mouse wheel that you can flick to the left/right) is to bind melee to middle mouse right (like 2 A.M. can't think or remember what it's called. Trust me though, you'll get used to it real quick and I bet you'll enjoy it.) to melee. Press M1, flick the middle mouse button and you've got a quick combo, only downside is that it can throw your aim off sometimes.

Torb's hammer doesn't do damage to people, stop swinging it at me.

Junkrats mine arms almost instantly after you throw it, so use it to push folks away from you if you get surprised. Dropping a trap in the middle of a clusterfuck is a good way to allow your team to wail on people. Find a Mei out in the wild? blow her up, then when she blocks up, drop a trap on her and a mine and just back away while spamming hello. I've gotten a few tells from people cussing me out for ruining their get out of jail card.

This game is fantastic, I love all the dynamic plays people can put out, and the combo's that teamwork can pull off are amazing sometimes. Mei and Reaper ults combined is amazing. Zarya and D'va, Rein and Hanzo, and several others that I've seen happen make me wish that Potg would not focus on just one player, but possibly two or more with an overhead camera to watch the action.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Brosnan posted:

Mei and D.Va are both mediocre heroes who are really popular with the kind of players who j/o to videogame chars

or maybe they are just fun, bud

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

so which one you play on offense and which one you play on defense and what about koth?

Anyway. My brother hates Egypt with a passion, and he likes playing McCree. I think that map is kinda suffering with a bad team but isn't that bad. I don't think how you can like that better than King's Row or Lijang tho.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Indecisive posted:

i don't know why the gently caress everyone in the brawl isn't playing reinhardt but they are bad and wrong

I'm going to miss Arcade mode, because it does such gross things to all the characters:

• Soldier 76 - Laying down healing areas every 3 seconds
  • Mei - Trapping enemies permanently in corners
  • Pharah - Never touches the ground
  • Tracer - Entirely unhittable
  • Reaper - Can just noclip out of every single encounter
  • Reinhardt - Constantly grunting and charging across the map with enough health to easily survive most ults not counting his 4000 HP shield
  • Lucio - Gigantic shields every 30 seconds or so and constant boosts
  • Zarya - Literally invincible

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

No mention of 300 HP Zenyatta with insane Iris uptime? Been my favorite part of the brawl so far.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

fromoutofnowhere posted:

it actually totally does and it loving hurts during molten core because he swings it super fast

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It does 75 damage yeah, like reinhardt. hammers too good

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Picard Day posted:

No mention of 300 HP Zenyatta with insane Iris uptime? Been my favorite part of the brawl so far.

There are lots of chars in the brawl that I enjoy, including my 300 HP Ifrit Zenyatta. Funny how he suddenly becomes playable when you don't die to a single bodyshot. Good reminder that I'll probably spend a whole lot of my weekend doing the brawl. Especially since it only lasts a week and A LOT of the brawls are utter poo poo. I didn't play closed beta, but I saw a list somewhere and holy crap how it was full of brawls that can't possible be fun for more than an hour. Like "everyone is Genji or Hanzo on Hanamura, enjoy". Like what the gently caress, that's like pub from hell.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Bolivar posted:

There are lots of chars in the brawl that I enjoy, including my 300 HP Ifrit Zenyatta. Funny how he suddenly becomes playable when you don't die to a single bodyshot. Good reminder that I'll probably spend a whole lot of my weekend doing the brawl. Especially since it only lasts a week and A LOT of the brawls are utter poo poo. I didn't play closed beta, but I saw a list somewhere and holy crap how it was full of brawls that can't possible be fun for more than an hour. Like "everyone is Genji or Hanzo on Hanamura, enjoy". Like what the gently caress, that's like pub from hell.

I can confirm that that brawl sucked.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Brosnan posted:

I can confirm that that brawl sucked.

How was the "everyone is support class" brawl? :ughh:

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

I'd like to see a 6v6 Tracers only brawl but the win condition is changed to Team with most sticky bombs kills

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
tpain is playing overwatch right now for some reason

https://www.twitch.tv/tpain

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Countblanc posted:

reposting for page ???, if you have any questions whatsoever on how an ability works, hwo much damage something does, how quickly a weapon reloads, or if something has fall-off or can headshot, please use OW Infinity

http://www.owinfinity.com/en/

poo poo. I keep forgetting to put this in the OP while I'm not at work. I'll just do it now, though I wanted to look at it on my computer first since their mobile version is completely broken.

Snak posted:

Yeah no search results for that. I searched for "goon" and there are a whole bunch of little goon communities with a few people in them.

It's at the top of the OP, it's Goonerwatch.

I'm going to remove that top paragraph and shorten the info like I should have when I first made the thread. People still won't read it, as is usual, but at least nobody can complain about having to spend more than 5 seconds reading something to get information.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Onean posted:

poo poo. I keep forgetting to put this in the OP while I'm not at work. I'll just do it now, though I wanted to look at it on my computer first since their mobile version is completely broken.

It's at the top of the OP, it's Goonerwatch.

I'm going to remove that top paragraph and shorten the info like I should have when I first made the thread. People still won't read it, as is usual, but at least nobody can complain about having to spend more than 5 seconds reading something to get information.

Yeah I skimmed the first 3 posts of the OP looking for a section discussing platforms, and couldn't find it :doh:

How have I been playing for 5 hours on the same 4 maps, and I just now found one I've never played before?

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 27, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel like I need to learn Lucio because often the team needs a healer. Do you just stand next to people to keep them healed and switch to the speed buff when there's no danger around?

Brosnan posted:

D.Va is an embarrassingly cringey character. If it weren't for Widowmaker she would probably be the worst of the ladies.

Don't have any problems with Mei though.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Bolivar posted:

How was the "everyone is support class" brawl? :ughh:

It was also miserable.

The fun ones of what I played were the headshots only brawl (Widow, McCree, Hanzo and Genji, I believe), the random respawn one from open beta, and ladies night. Honorable mention goes to the Soldier 76 only brawl, since it gave you super low health and made it into Counter Strike and that was kind of funny once.

But most of them are pretty gimmicky and only really worth playing once, unlike the handful of gems like Arcade that are tons of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

fromoutofnowhere posted:

I admit, the Official Hero Page's demonstrations can look jacky as gently caress.

Like Torb's walkup up to a guy and awkwardly standing there hammering away at them just long enough for it to get depressing. Regadelss of any "But it actually deals 75 damage so-"

Game is cool but dear lord, looking over the Hero Pages while I was getting around to finally buying it was worrying regardless of how much fun my brother had in Beta.