Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!

Jeza posted:

Just because somebody plays in NA, does not make them from or part of NA
It doesn't make them from NA but uh playing there definitely does make them a part of it.

Luminosity's home region is NA now :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

think of it like NA = western hemisphere because internet in SA SUCKS

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ArmZ posted:

think of it like NA = western hemisphere because internet in SA SUCKS
Arfjason, confirm/deny?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

Arfjason, confirm/deny?

He can't type, his hands are filled with BR dongs.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
To me it doesn't make sense, and it always smacks somewhat of American exceptionalism, claiming them as North American because they actually succeed at what real NA teams cannot. Do they consider themselves part of NA? I doubt it. There are lots of sports where competitors have to train and compete abroad almost the entire time, but it doesn't invalidate where they come from or their own grass roots scene.

If an American team moved to the EU and competed in the leagues with an all American lineup, you can bet your loving rear end they would be called an NA team. Nobody would even consider calling them an EU team.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Jeza posted:

If an American team moved to the EU and competed in the leagues with an all American lineup, you can bet your loving rear end they would be called an NA team. Nobody would even consider calling them an EU team.

remember the last time europeans tried to claim na as their own? :britain:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Jeza posted:

To me it doesn't make sense, and it always smacks somewhat of American exceptionalism, claiming them as North American because they actually succeed at what real NA teams cannot. Do they consider themselves part of NA? I doubt it. There are lots of sports where competitors have to train and compete abroad almost the entire time, but it doesn't invalidate where they come from or their own grass roots scene.

...You really don't understand that these are simple group names, right? We don't make them, the organizing bodies do. Get over it man.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I consider Europe the 51st state since they exist as they do today as a byproduct of American imperialism

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Jeza posted:

Haha, the concept of American exceptionalism in CS when the European scene has been pretty smug about its dominance for the past few years and even wrote off LG during the beginning of their rise until they started dominating tournaments and made their skill undeniable.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jeza posted:

I loving guarantee if a USA team emigrated to EU and started winning, every smug loving European shitbag would claim that they only got gud because they moved to Europe. Smug nationalism is everywhere, not just the US.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

I loving guarantee if a USA team emigrated to EU and started winning, every smug loving European shitbag would claim that they only got gud because they moved to Europe. Smug nationalism is everywhere, not just the US.

That's probably because it would be true. If some of these NA teams had the EU pool of teams to scrim and play against constantly they would surely adapt to that kind of work ethic and skill. Now if some random African team suddenly started stomping fnatic and EU claimed them, that would just sound silly.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

sleppy posted:

That's probably because it would be true. If some of these NA teams had the EU pool of teams to scrim and play against constantly they would surely adapt to that kind of work ethic and skill. Now if some random African team suddenly started stomping fnatic and EU claimed them, that would just sound silly.

They have computers in africa?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

RyokoTK posted:

It's also not the same level as incorporating them as if their successes belonged to the scene they stomped all over. There's smug nationalism everywhere, but in my experience there's a lot more of it from the USA than most first world places. But obviously that's a tough sell when this thread is 90% NA. Sorry, love u guys!!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jeza posted:

It's also not the same level as incorporating them as if their successes belonged to the scene they stomped all over. There's smug nationalism everywhere, but in my experience there's a lot more of it from the USA than most first world places. But obviously that's a tough sell when this thread is 90% NA. Sorry, love u guys!!

European politics relating to immigrants and Gaullism both indicate you're speaking from biases as much as we are mate
e: though to be fair as a brit you're a little less biased than most euros since brits are sometimes associated with us heh

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

They aint nothing but them and i aint gonna hear another word about it ya feel me dawgs

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jeza posted:

lol you do know Europe has a resurgence of nationalism in most countries, due to instabilities relating to war refugees and the perception that the European Union isn't working? The "LG is totally NA guys" thing is mostly a self-depreciating joke, if anything.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Still 1.75@500.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

symbolic posted:

Still 1.75@500.

1@1400

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

dex_sda posted:

lol you do know Europe has a resurgence of nationalism in most countries, due to instabilities relating to war refugees and the perception that the European Union isn't working? The "LG is totally NA guys" thing is mostly a self-depreciating joke, if anything.

No it's not. I honestly believe LG is as red-blooded American as they come and I turn off any stream as soon as the post-game interview starts

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Jeza posted:

There's smug nationalism everywhere, but in my experience there's a lot more of it from the USA than most first world places

this would probably only be true if you lived in the USA

besides it's a tough sell to claim that Americans are uniquely nationalist in the CS thread when everybody knows American teams are bad and "professional" casters will take any and every opportunity to dunk on American teams, even when none are playing

nobody here is saying LG are Americans

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jeza posted:

??????????????????????????

actually thats not true at all.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I'm guessing from the quality of the posts recently queue times are long for you folks as well? Just waited 11 minutes trying to find a game at MG2.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Olofmeister is pugging again, fnatic is hopefully back boys

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Make sure everyone turns all their TVs to TBS tonight at 10est to see Moe's sexy loving beard in HD

Waltchelg
Jan 21, 2009

sleppy posted:

Doubt it. The NA teams have 0 work ethic and that's why they're still poo poo.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Waltchelg posted:

Doubt it. The NA teams have 0 work ethic and that's why they're still poo poo.

You really don't think in your heart of hearts that EU just has a much stronger player base to begin with? That's how it has always been in CS, minus the early days.

Waltchelg
Jan 21, 2009

??? You have teams in NA that are salaried that don't practice for 2 months. You can't make this poo poo up.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

This owns https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxAAtHhPago

stump collector
May 28, 2007
beautiful

stump collector
May 28, 2007
http://espn.go.com/esports/story/_/id/15774305/sk-gaming-luminosity-locked-contract-disputes-sk-attempted-poach-luminosity-players

SK and LG are involved in some crazy contract disputes

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I looked over the article and this situation is shady as gently caress.

Like hell someone like FalleN would be "pressured" into signing a contract or be manipulated into believing that "LG is the devil".

stump collector
May 28, 2007
SK wasn't able to pay their league of legends players as recently as last year and they basically lost their entire roster as soon as the contracts were up. They're definitely a poo poo org and their current roster might be wanting to look for a new org in light of this info

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

lovely drunken smurfing ace 4971, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQCzKcjv7Zk There didn't seem to be much else going on so I'll post my trash

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right
Haha so many orgs and players have been doing shady poo poo like this to each other for forever. I'm sure SK put on all kinds of pressure to try to sign a top team, but Fallen playing dumb and acting like they had no choice and just wanted the scary guys from SK to stop bothering them is just hilarious. We're all manbabies who spend too much time playing CS:GO, but it's like... grow up a little bit dude and learn how to handle your poo poo for the sake of your livelihood. I'd love to see what some of these esports contracts actually look like, because it certainly seems from the outside like a lot of the players and orgs don't really take them seriously whenever it isn't convenient.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
Kabum
Keyd
Luminosity
SK
uh contracts are hard and scary guys pls help

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

"Esports lawyer Bryce Blum.."

LOL

stump collector
May 28, 2007

real dilemma posted:

"Esports lawyer Bryce Blum.."

LOL
i can't take anything seriously from the man whose title is ESPORTS LAWYER

Rosh posted:

Haha so many orgs and players have been doing shady poo poo like this to each other for forever. I'm sure SK put on all kinds of pressure to try to sign a top team, but Fallen playing dumb and acting like they had no choice and just wanted the scary guys from SK to stop bothering them is just hilarious. We're all manbabies who spend too much time playing CS:GO, but it's like... grow up a little bit dude and learn how to handle your poo poo for the sake of your livelihood. I'd love to see what some of these esports contracts actually look like, because it certainly seems from the outside like a lot of the players and orgs don't really take them seriously whenever it isn't convenient.
i'm assuming SK were going for a hail mary and offered good contracts.then LG / Eleague / ECS were able to block them by threatening removal from the new big money leagues

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
IANAESL but

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
there was just, as the first commercial in eleague, on TBS, live, in the year of our lord 2016, an Arby's commercial. That was counterstrike. Featuring the bomb defusal sound effect, and then the sandwich going boom, and the Arby's Guy Voice intoning SHOULD HAVE INVESTED IN A DEFUSE KIT.

Is this what getting old feels like? Is this what having a stroke feels like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I dunno, but I think I want a Beef-n-Cheddar now.